Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

bird food bathtub posted:

From what I understand French protests can see some results. What do American protests get for the effort? Usually black-bagged leaders committing suicide to the back of the head then lighting their cars on fire and mass arrests for everyone in these few city blocks.

American cops learned this from the French, fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Sir John Falstaff posted:

There may be some diplomatic considerations, too, since it would essentially mean authorities in Poland and the Czech Republic making accusations against politicians from other European countries (apparently, Germany, France, Poland, Belgium, the Netherlands and Hungary).

Genuinely surprised Ireland is not mentioned because I was 100% convinced that super-tankie Clare Daly was on the Kremlin payroll.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Genuinely surprised Ireland is not mentioned because I was 100% convinced that super-tankie Clare Daly was on the Kremlin payroll.

Tankies are almost never paid to say whatever drivel they pump out. It's the saddest thing about them.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nuclear Tourist posted:

That's the thing with useful idiots, they usually work for free.

In other news. Havana Syndrome is back on the menu.
https://theins.press/en/politics/270425

quote:

A yearlong investigation by The Insider, in collaboration with 60 Minutes and Der Spiegel, has uncovered evidence suggesting that unexplained anonymous health incidents, also known as Havana Syndrome, may have their origin in the use of directed energy weapons wielded by members of Unit 29155.

Among this investigation’s core findings is the fact that senior members of the unit received awards and political promotions for work related to the development of “non-lethal acoustic weapons,” a term used in Russian military-scientific literature to describe both sound- and radiofrequency-based directed energy devices, as both would result in acoustic artifacts in the victim’s brain.

These and other operatives attached to Unit 29155, traveling undercover, have been geolocated to places around the world just before or at the time of reported anomalous health incidents — or AHIs, as the U.S. government formally refers to Havana Syndrome. Furthermore, Joy is not the only victim to identify a known member of this Russian black ops squad lurking around her home.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
It's that spicy hardbass. A hell of a way to go...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1775069766291493118

quote:

LARGE UNIDENTIFIED DRONE ATTACKS RUSSIAN SHAHEED DRONE FACILITY 1000 km from border; Tatarstan joins "SMO zone"; Russian army humiliated.

On the morning of 2 April, at least one massive drone flew into one of the buildings on the territory of a drone production facility in Yelabuga, resulting in an explosion. The extent of the damage is unclear yet. Distance between Yelabuga and Ukrainian border is over 1000 km.

Another drone reportedly attacked an oil refinery in Nizhnekamsk, just 50 miles away from Yelabuga. According to local news, the oil refinery was damaged.

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1775050929013702865

quote:

Meanwhile at the Shahed drone factory in Russia's Tatarstan (over 1,200 kilometers away from the Ukrainian border!)

Ukraine is now supposedly capable of using light airplanes as kamikaze drones coming that far into the Russian territory.

How the hell does something that big get that far into Russia without getting detected or shot down on the way? What air defense doing?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
That was a whole-rear end Cessna.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Twitter comments are suggesting it was a Foxbat that flew into the building. No, not that Foxbat, this Foxbat

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

PurpleXVI posted:

How the hell does something that big get that far into Russia without getting detected or shot down on the way? What air defense doing?

Probably used this guys playbook.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/air-space-magazine/the-notorious-flight-of-mathias-rust-7101888/

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1775069766291493118

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1775050929013702865

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Did it actually do any substantial damage, though?

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

psydude posted:

Did it actually do any substantial damage, though?

Psychic damage, I guess?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lord Awkward posted:

Psychic damage, I guess?

Emotional Damage (to him).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Everyone working in that factory knows they are now a target. That probably has some impact on productivity.

e: other factors also including possible diversion of resources for air defense etc

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Uncomfortably, people working there may be tricked foreign kids.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

That Works posted:

Everyone working in that factory knows they are now a target. That probably has some impact on productivity.

e: other factors also including possible diversion of resources for air defense etc

Some reporting is suggesting that the reason Ukraine is now able to hit Russia itself, is that a combination of whittling down Russian air defenses(exploded S300 and S400 batteries, vaporized Buk and Pantsir vehicles, etc.) and focusing Russian attention on Crimea, has forced Russia to focus its air defenses primarily on a few locations, leaving Russia's internationally recognized air borders somewhat permeable.

OddObserver posted:

Uncomfortably, people working there may be tricked foreign kids.

I'm not sure what the point of this comment is, that sites producing weapons for a war of genocide shouldn't be struck because some of the people working there might theoretically be too stupid to know what they're doing? That we should feel bad about strikes against Russia's military infrastructure sites?

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1775123186788520046

quote:

Belarus has started military drills near its borders with Poland and Lithuania to the west and #Ukraine to the south, the country's defense ministry said.

Earlier, self-proclaimed President Lukashenko stated that Belarus is preparing for war, Belarusian state media reported.

It feels like it's been a while since anyone regarded the chance of Belarus joining the war directly as being very high. I wonder if this is just Luka flexing his muscles a bit so Putin will stop sending him aggressive text messages or if it's a wind-up for something actually happening.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm not sure what the point of this comment is, that sites producing weapons for a war of genocide shouldn't be struck because some of the people working there might theoretically be too stupid to know what they're doing? That we should feel bad about strikes against Russia's military infrastructure sites?

I think the point is that it can be uncomfortable to realize that attacking military infrastructure sites may also harm or kill others who are victims, rather than supporters, of Russia’s war. It doesn’t mean that it shouldn’t happen, but…it is uncomfortable.

I don’t know what “stupid” has to do with anything here. Seems more likely to be ignorance than an intelligence issue, and kids are well-known for not having complete understanding of the world around them, even without the distorting effects of captive media and a war.

Giganticon
Mar 10, 2010

Pillbug
What would it take to compel Belarus to turn against Russia? They must know Putin is a dangerous and untrustworthy partner who doesn't respect his neighbor's borders or human life. I don't know much about Belarus. Does their gov have popular support from their people?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Giganticon posted:

What would it take to compel Belarus to turn against Russia? They must know Putin is a dangerous and untrustworthy partner who doesn't respect his neighbor's borders or human life. I don't know much about Belarus. Does their gov have popular support from their people?

The last election was so blatantly stolen that Lukashenka lost ability to balance between Russia and the West.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

No, they cracked down hard after rigging an election more blatantly than usual and triggering protests a couple years back. But Europe is sheltering the woman who probably would have won and declared herself leader in exile, so I don’t think the current Belarusian government is going to lean in their direction any time soon.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Belarus is basically a Russian satellite state and Lukashenko holds onto power by threads. He doesn't want to do anything substantial because any military action that is less than perfection will have Putin throwing him out of window. On the other hand, any military action against Belarus' neighbors might be provocation enough to have the people of Belarus finally hang him at a gas station, and daddy Vlad's army will be the only thing keeping him "safe" from his own citizens

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Giganticon posted:

Lukashenko has been president of Belarus since the office was established in 1994. I think that about sums it up really.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/30483

https://twitter.com/A_SHEKH0VTS0V/status/1774750067032756541

Recently a Russian bribery network was uncovered by, as I recall it, Czech intelligence services. They didn't release any names at first but... here's the apparent list of confirmed bribe recipients. No real surprises, looks like they're all from far-right parties, what a shocker.

quote:

A Voice of Ukraine Monday statement countered: “We are all unfairly and relentlessly smeared as Putinists by increasingly unpopular globalist ‘elites’; their discredited lackeys in the lying, mainstream press; and Soros-funded NGOs. We at Voice of Europe will not be intimidated by globalist thuggery or kneel to this witch-hunt which is reminiscent of the darkest days of McCarthyism.”

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Nothing says "authentic European movement" like making allusions to McCarthyism

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/30483

https://twitter.com/A_SHEKH0VTS0V/status/1774750067032756541

Recently a Russian bribery network was uncovered by, as I recall it, Czech intelligence services. They didn't release any names at first but... here's the apparent list of confirmed bribe recipients. No real surprises, looks like they're all from far-right parties, what a shocker.

It’s just a list of names promoted on the site, the uncovered network is still kept quiet

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Some of those names are pretty high profile. Čarnogursky was Slovak prime minister and minister of justice. Klaus was Czech PM and President and pretty much the architect of Czech post-Communist politics. Svoboda was Czech foreign minister and head of the Christian Democrats.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

PurpleXVI posted:

Recently a Russian bribery network was uncovered by, as I recall it, Czech intelligence services.

Ukraine thread: Czech yourself before you wreck yourself

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I'm so glad i got the [skoda] Czech Yourself clan in wot locked down.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Nothing says "authentic European movement" like making allusions to McCarthyism

That and the whining about Soros.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Footage of the red-on-red from four days ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7-uAnOZHfs

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Midjack posted:

That and the whining about Soros.

It's like they're writing this for the talk radio US crowd, but I can't imagine that group would be interested in that list of names in the slightest.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

It's like they're writing this for the talk radio US crowd, but I can't imagine that group would be interested in that list of names in the slightest.

Soros, despite what the right thinks, spent most of his fortune trying to support democratic policies in former Warsaw pact countries.

So, when you look at it from that point of view you can see that Soros is a bogeyman to the right because he’s a bogeyman to Putin.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Murgos posted:

Soros, despite what the right thinks, spent most of his fortune trying to support democratic policies in former Warsaw pact countries.

So, when you look at it from that point of view you can see that Soros is a bogeyman to the right because he’s a bogeyman to Putin.

I was talking about the list of Euro politicians. Soros has been a bogeyman in the US for decades, even before Putin was significantly meddling in US politics.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/04/ukraine-russia-war-france-troops-warning-sergei-shoigu

Only Russia is allowed to deploy troops I guess :shrugs:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Macrons comment seems to have done more to get in putins skull than anything else anyone has attempted to force negotiations

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

French gonna burn down Moscow again and I'm here for it.*

*they didn't do it the first time

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Gaius Marius posted:

Errant Russian smokers have a long, long record of state property destruction!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gaius Marius posted:

Tolstoy's remarks about the inevitability of Moscow burning down in War and Peace are more true today than ever

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://carnegieendowment.org/politika/92132

quote:

Forty percent of Russian oil refining is beyond the reach of Ukraine’s new weapons. Even if Ukraine succeeds in completely shutting down every refinery within its reach, there will be enough capacity in the Urals and Siberia to meet Russia’s needs for diesel, marine fuel, and fuel oil. In this scenario, there will be a 20–30 percent shortage of gasoline, which could be covered by imports from Russia’s ally and neighbor Belarus. Without those imports, a shortage of that size might have an impact on private consumers, but would still leave more than enough fuel for industry, agriculture, and the armed forces.

I don't think he's taken Ukraine's latest Cessna drones into account, but this is a good high-level overview on the impact we can expect Ukraine's recent decarbonization efforts will have.

Tl;dr - angry shareholders, maybe some political pressure, but no effect on the military side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hannibal Rex posted:

https://carnegieendowment.org/politika/92132

I don't think he's taken Ukraine's latest Cessna drones into account, but this is a good high-level overview on the impact we can expect Ukraine's recent decarbonization efforts will have.

Tl;dr - angry shareholders, maybe some political pressure, but no effect on the military side.

So they'll have enough for their domestic and military needs, but what about exports? If they are unable to generate revenue from their refineries anymore it'll be a massive economic blow.