Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Don't forget they combined overly cute creatures with both slave labor and shooting them with big guns lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Taeke posted:

Don't forget they combined overly cute creatures with both slave labor and shooting them with big guns lol

Yeah that was the selling point along with the "stick it to the pokemon company" thing.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Even on the Switch successor, the next Pokemon is going to look and run like the Zapruder film.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Taeke posted:

I'm hoping the success of Palworld will make Nintendo less complacent. There's an obvious market for an actually good and well developed multiplayer Pokemon game but for some reason they never got off their rear end to actually make it. They're just churning out increasingly lovely games because people would buy it anyway, for lack or a better alternative. Leaving that niche open for anyone to step in is a huge risk for a competitor to, you know, actually develop something that competes with pokemon.

With all due respect, that's like saying that EA's sports game developers should be stepping up and taking notice of the success of the latest Mario sports title. They're fundamentally just not in the same genre, not competing with each other in any real way, and the 'success' of one provides no lessons whatsoever to the other.

If what you actually want is for someone to compete with Pokemon, you should instead be supporting the actual competitors in the genre: Dragon Quest Monsters, Shin Megami Tensei. Yo-kai Watch, before that series flopped internationally because it turns out nobody actually buys straight-up Pokemon competitors for their own sake.

Also, Palworld has lost basically its entire peak playerbase at this point. Almost like it was only ever that popular as a brief flavor-of-the-month thing, and its natural popularity level is actually somewhere around Rust.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 11:27 on Apr 5, 2024

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Palworld and Pokemon are competing the same way that Burger King and Mcdonalds are.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

RareAcumen posted:

Palworld and Pokemon are competing the same way that Burger King and Mcdonalds are.

No, that's too geographically close. They're competing in the same way Outback Steakhouse is competing with an actual Australian steakhouse.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
The next pokemon game could be a gif and it would sell mroe copies than the Bible so I don't think they're that fussed

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Taeke posted:

I'm hoping the success of Palworld will make Nintendo less complacent. There's an obvious market for an actually good and well developed multiplayer Pokemon game but for some reason they never got off their rear end to actually make it. They're just churning out increasingly lovely games because people would buy it anyway, for lack or a better alternative. Leaving that niche open for anyone to step in is a huge risk for a competitor to, you know, actually develop something that competes with pokemon.

scarlet was the best pokemon since gold though :dafuq:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cleretic posted:

No, that's too geographically close. They're competing in the same way Outback Steakhouse is competing with an actual Australian steakhouse.

Competing the same way Monster Hunter and Dave the Diver are.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

An Actual Princess posted:

That's a weird way to spell "Legends: Arceus"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

:hmmyes: It DID let me personally inflict blunt-force head trauma on the pokemon myself...

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Muscle Tracer posted:

arceus was dogshit. checklist gaming at its worst

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ScarVi is the only open-world instalment of a previously linear series that I genuinely felt was better than just getting a linear version.

I don't think we got a better Final Fantasy out of making a non-linear one. But it turns out nonlinearity does actually add a lot of interesting angles to a Pokemon game.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Was it really? As a non-Pokemon-player all I heard at release was that it was uglier than Arceus while also running more poorly, super buggy and had fewer Pokemons than earlier titles. I know it sold well but I thought it was an AssCreed 3 situation.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

CordlessPen posted:

Was it really? As a non-Pokemon-player all I heard at release was that it was uglier than Arceus while also running more poorly, super buggy and had fewer Pokemons than earlier titles. I know it sold well but I thought it was an AssCreed 3 situation.

Accurate

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CordlessPen posted:

I know it sold well but I thought it was an AssCreed 3 situation.

I didn't think Arceus was that good, but that seems harsh.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

arceus was dogshit. checklist gaming at its worst

In a game series that tells you to catch a thing and then store it away forever since being caught and checked off a list is its only purpose, at least Arceus gives you a reason to bring them out and use them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CordlessPen posted:

I think the core thing to remember about Pokemon is that, for pretty much its entire history, it's managed to succeed by its own metrics rather than things that would float or sink anything else.

It doesn't really matter if a Pokemon game is glitchy, runs poorly, looks bad, or has a weak story; hell, you already know that, because the first generation looked terrible and barely worked. What matters is that it introduces a bunch of fun, cute critters to catch, and makes the process of catching them fun. A Pokemon game will never truly fail, because it will always succeed at being a Pokemon game.

...also, I'm not sure where you got the idea that ScarVi had fewer Pokemon, because that's not true by either metric it could be judged by. In terms of 'new Pokemon introduced' it was at a healthy 110, making it the biggest generation since Black and White, and the first one since then to crack 100 new ones. And if you're going by catchable Pokemon at all it launched with 400, the same amount as Sword and Shield, and tied for second-largest amount of Pokemon catchable in a single region; X and Y take first.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Vic posted:

Yeah that was the selling point along with the "stick it to the pokemon company" thing.

was “stick it to the pokemon company” a goal for a game in a completely different genre than pokemon because it just looked like obvious parody to me.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

CordlessPen posted:

Was it really? As a non-Pokemon-player all I heard at release was that it was uglier than Arceus while also running more poorly, super buggy and had fewer Pokemons than earlier titles.

It can be all those things and still the best since Gold. Then again, I'm pretty sure all those complaints have been leveled at every pokemon game since Gold anyways, so :shrug:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

One of the bigger issues with modern Pokemon games is that they giveth and taketh away.

One gen may have some feature that's either really cool and fun or just a nice quality of life thing, and then the next generation will get rid of it or water it down; like changing clothes. In the past few games, you could change all your clothes and come up with your own look. In the latest gen, all you get is to choose which private school uniform and accessories, and IMO, the vast majority of the outfits you can choose from look stupid as hell. It's a minor gripe, and I'm sure there are enough folks who disagree with me and will say the uniforms are awesome and cool, but I'm not one of them, it just seemed like the safest feature to mention. That, or Mega Evolutions.

That, and I know it's unrealistic to put every Pokemon into every game at this point since we have a million of the things now, but it does suck when one of your favorites is not included, or it's gated behind the endgame, when the majority of your adventure is already done with and you're just mopping up side quests.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Randalor posted:

It can be all those things and still the best since Gold. Then again, I'm pretty sure all those complaints have been leveled at every pokemon game since Gold anyways, so :shrug:

Maybe, but (again, as a non-Pokemon-player) Scarlet/Violet was the first time that I heard about it. Actually, I think the "fewer pokemon" thing might have been about Sword/Shield so that might have been the first time that complaints reached further into the mainstream but I for sure remember thinking that Scarlet/Violet was particularly bad specifically because I heard about it. I remember a ton of YouTube shorts (ugh...) showcasing glitches, a Digital Foundry video outlining the poor performance, screenshots comparing it unfavourably to Arceus, etc.

I'm honestly not trying to poo poo on the game, I legit was just surprised to hear that it was good because I really thought that it was "common knowledge" that Scarlet/Violet was a huge miss.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

it’s absolutely a huge mess but it’s also a ton of stupid fun, you get a legendary Pokémon motorcycle within like the first five minutes of the game, there’s tons of QOL improvements, and a major questline involves eating sandwiches

it also struggles to run on the Switch but it doesn’t detract much, I mean the game is turn based when it comes down to it

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Something also worth noting is that a bunch of the actual tech problems with ScarVi seem to stem from a memory leak or something, because it seems to get worse over the course of a long session. That unfortunately means that a bunch of streamers hit that because they're playing for hours on end, and are also perfectly equipped to showcase the bug when it happens, while people who play in shorter bursts are basically fine.

And while it's on a completely different branch of things, if competitive Pokemon matters to you, this generation is among the most popular in that crowd. Its generational gimmick is really interesting to build around (if you don't know, you can basically change a Pokemon's type once a match), and it's made a bunch of smaller changes that turn out to play really well, like changing the ice-type weather condition into a defense-boosting snow.

Those changes together led to this loving thing winning a tournament:

https://twitter.com/WeedleTwineedle/status/1764322136280199499

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Immortals of Aveum seems genuinely cool as gently caress so far, it’s been an exceptionally long time since I’ve played a new game with a new setting that was actually intriguing (hat tip to Michael “Honestly I Thought He Was Dead” Kirkbride), fun gameplay, tons of little secrets to reward jumping around and exploring, pretty nice graphics.

The main character Jak though, oof. He’s not even particularly unlikeable or anything, he just…kind of seems way more generic than literally everything else around him. He’s like budget brand Nathan Drake, like he seems transported to Immortals from the long-lost days of 2007 or something. Occasionally he has a moment where he’ll come across as a bit of a dweeb and it’s pretty endearing, but overall he just doesn’t gel super well with the rest of the vibes.

Also The Path/Selection level is pretty cool but goes on for a few segments too long.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

the_steve posted:

That, and I know it's unrealistic to put every Pokemon into every game at this point since we have a million of the things now, but it does suck when one of your favorites is not included, or it's gated behind the endgame, when the majority of your adventure is already done with and you're just mopping up side quests.

Rating a Pokemon game based on whether you can use the same monsters as you always have, either literally because you've kept them from Home or are just rebuilding the exact same team, is about the only wrong way to play these games. Why even buy the new one if you're just going to roll past the new areas and new creatures? You can still play Gold, I've done it, it's why they do remakes.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Caphi posted:

Rating a Pokemon game based on whether you can use the same monsters as you always have, either literally because you've kept them from Home or are just rebuilding the exact same team, is about the only wrong way to play these games. Why even buy the new one if you're just going to roll past the new areas and new creatures? You can still play Gold, I've done it, it's why they do remakes.

Because gently caress you and your assumptions, and because Snorlax has been my friend since Gen1.
I never said I was ignoring the new ones, I said it's a bummer when your favorite doesn't make it into the game (either day 1 or at all)

poo poo, I actually liked a bunch of the newer ones this gen, it doesn't change the fact that I want to start the journey with a munchlax and see where the game takes us.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Taeke posted:

I love that you posted this after someone described the game as soulless garbage.

People wanting Big N to come and squash the game are dumb, but so are people who keep acting like Palworld is some massive paradigm shift that's gonna scare Nintendo into making an actually good Pokemon game for once.

Especially because almost unerringly every single person who claims something deranged like "Palworld is what Pokemon should've been all along" turns out to not actually like Pokemon all that much. Evidenced by constant claims of both "every Pokemon game for the last decade has been the same boring thing" and "every Pokemon game for the last decade has been terrible".

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

John Murdoch posted:

I love that you posted this after someone described the game as soulless garbage.

People wanting Big N to come and squash the game are dumb, but so are people who keep acting like Palworld is some massive paradigm shift that's gonna scare Nintendo into making an actually good Pokemon game for once.

Especially because almost unerringly every single person who claims something deranged like "Palworld is what Pokemon should've been all along" turns out to not actually like Pokemon all that much. Evidenced by constant claims of both "every Pokemon game for the last decade has been the same boring thing" and "every Pokemon game for the last decade has been terrible".

Nobody calls them Big N calm down about these lovely games.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Vic posted:

Nobody calls them Big N

I've got bad news for you.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There are definitely ways the Pokemon games could be better, they've always had some technical jank but it got out of hand in recent entries, and it's just tough to keep a series like this fresh.

That said everything I've seen of Palworld that isn't the Pals themselves looks generic as hell.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Maxwell Lord posted:

There are definitely ways the Pokemon games could be better, they've always had some technical jank but it got out of hand in recent entries, and it's just tough to keep a series like this fresh.

That said everything I've seen of Palworld that isn't the Pals themselves looks generic as hell.

Palworld is definitely one of those games where you're kind of expected to make your own fun.
Though, in their defense, they are at least still working on it. I think they just put out a pretty big patch the other day.
But yeah, it's definitely a sandbox.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
They let the animals have guns and I wasn't expecting that

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Adults who argue about Pokemon are almost as sad as adults who still play Pokemon

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk why playing Pokemon is any sadder than any other game series as an adult, it all falls into the gaming umbrella of “stupid waste of time, do some boring adult poo poo”.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's funny that people are acting like Palworld's "Pokemon but with guns" thing is novel, considering "Animals with guns and chains" was Digimon's whole aesthetic.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

BioEnchanted posted:

It's funny that people are acting like Palworld's "Pokemon but with guns" thing is novel, considering "Animals with guns and chains" was Digimon's whole aesthetic.

To be fair, and I say this as a Digimon enjoyer, one of these two things is a multibillion dollar global franchise that is almost as ingrained in modern culture as Star Wars, where even people who have never touched a Pokemon game know what a Pikachu is, and the other is, while popular enough, not remotely on Pokemon's level.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Last Celebration posted:

Idk why playing Pokemon is any sadder than any other game series as an adult, it all falls into the gaming umbrella of “stupid waste of time, do some boring adult poo poo”.
No, me leveling my 32nd Grim Dawn character to 100 is far more refined and mature than catching a flying umbrella monster in a ball.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

with guns and chains?

buddy they don't need the animal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same: