Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

minidracula posted:

Hrm. What did it do?

I have a version of it installed and I don't recall/haven't noticed badness, but I probably installed it quite a while ago now. I should poke around and see.

It uses all available registry entries, nothing else with usb midi works. Uninstalling fixed it but I remember having to manually unfuck it ages ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Korg's usb-midi driver also has issues with midi device numbers. Every time you plug a specific midi device into a different usb port, that device+port combo gets saved in a list by Windows. The korg software requires their devices to be on ID 9 or less, if it's on 10 or higher it will never work. So if you have multiple midi controllers and you maybe don't use the same usb port every time you can rapidly blow past 10 registered devices. Virtual midi interfaces consume ID's as well, so if you use loopmidi look out!

This has been a known issue for years and they have a knowledge base article on it.. rather than fixing their software they have you do a crappy "delete midi device registrations until your korg toy gets a usable ID" routine. OSX does not have this issue so one might be able to argue that Windows is doing something stupid, but I still feel like this one's on Korg.

Perhaps the Solar 42 person was right, we don't need a midi.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

xzzy posted:

Korg's usb-midi driver also has issues with midi device numbers. Every time you plug a specific midi device into a different usb port, that device+port combo gets saved in a list by Windows. The korg software requires their devices to be on ID 9 or less, if it's on 10 or higher it will never work. So if you have multiple midi controllers and you maybe don't use the same usb port every time you can rapidly blow past 10 registered devices. Virtual midi interfaces consume ID's as well, so if you use loopmidi look out!

This has been a known issue for years and they have a knowledge base article on it.. rather than fixing their software they have you do a crappy "delete midi device registrations until your korg toy gets a usable ID" routine. OSX does not have this issue so one might be able to argue that Windows is doing something stupid, but I still feel like this one's on Korg.

Perhaps the Solar 42 person was right, we don't need a midi.

It's the most infuriating thing ever and the reason my MS-20 mini is collecting dust, since deleting MIDI entries is so annoying and stupid. I really wonder if people buying a $13,000 PS-3300 re-issue are going to run into the same thing.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Has anybody here tried Perfect Circuit's trade-in program? I have a bunch of bits of gear that I'm thinking of offloading and I don't know if I want to deal with the headache and fees of Reverb for a lot of it, but also I'm lazy and don't want to find other places to sell my gear that will require a bunch of attention or waiting for ages for somebody to snap something up, so the idea of just trading in a bunch of stuff for something new is appealing. I assume I'd get less for the gear than I would selling it on Reverb, even if I got PC store credit for it, but I'm curious how much of a hassle it would be on top of that.

Either way, I'd probably at least do an interest check here on a lot of it before I do anything since selling stuff to other goons has always been pretty painless in my experience. I'm still figuring out what exactly I want to sell but I'm pretty sure I will be parting with a Polyend Tracker with Analog Cases softcase, a Drumbrute Impact, and an OG Minilogue. I might also sell a Behringer Neutron, an OP-1, a Polyend/Dreadbox Medusa, and a Focusrite ISA-One preamp. So if you're actively on the lookout for any of those, let me know.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

xzzy posted:

Is this the part where I whine about what a clusterfuck it is to configure or update firmware on a Korg nanokey using a windows computer? Even the big companies can be clowns when it comes to selling stuff that works.

I hosed up the USB driver layer in windows so bad with Zadig trying to get a fuckin DFU flash to work that I actually had to reformat the computer to unfuck it. Granted, Zadig has some huge warning signs on its levers warning you to be careful, but the fact it even needs to exist makes me think it's bullshit.

Korg USB drivers are a special kind of hell and I haven't reinstalled any of that poo poo since I formatted :laugh:

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
I got an EP–133 K.O. II as a birthday gift and I'm having lots of fun with it. It's my first "real" piece of equipment, so I don't have a lot of experience to draw on, but it feels like it hits the sweet spot of being simple enough to not be too intimidating, while having enough depth to make stuff that sounds cool. It's encouraged me to start learning a little bit of music theory so I can make interesting melodies and basslines.

I've got the idea now that I want to get a dedicated synth that will let me play around and make farty robot noises that I could also use with the EP-133. I'm not really looking to get super serious about producing anything, just something that I can play and explore with. Is something like the Arturia Minifreak a good starter synth?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

the minifreak is an excellent starter synth, the only caveat being that the microfreak exists and depending on what you're looking for might be better value

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Microfreak is great but you will probably want a MS-CDR70 or similar if you don't already have some kind of fx box.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
having some dumb fun because I want to give a presentation on this stuff at the end of the month

all the audio here is coming from LZX video oscillators. I enveloped one as a "kick" one as a sorta 8-bitty sound, and then one as a sine voice that I pitch sequenced with rene. This is kinda a formless meander through 2-3 different things, but all the audio is unprocessed video oscillator output (aside from enveloping and amping -- no gates, no filters, no rules, no respect for authority) and then those 3 oscillators are, generally, modulating a 4th and 5th oscillator block which are creating most of the visuals

then the audio is going into an envelope follower called Sensory Translator and further altering the visual patch

you'll notice I just described a feedback loop. Yep. the next step is to not use an external clock, and instead use calculated envelope peaks from the video to clock the rig. I want to get that working then get down to brass tacks in terms of the simplest patch that shows all that, sounds interesting, and doesn't use 19 extra LZX modules for no reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twtqE84gZjE

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

TastyShrimpPlatter posted:

I got an EP–133 K.O. II as a birthday gift and I'm having lots of fun with it. It's my first "real" piece of equipment, so I don't have a lot of experience to draw on, but it feels like it hits the sweet spot of being simple enough to not be too intimidating, while having enough depth to make stuff that sounds cool. It's encouraged me to start learning a little bit of music theory so I can make interesting melodies and basslines.

I've got the idea now that I want to get a dedicated synth that will let me play around and make farty robot noises that I could also use with the EP-133. I'm not really looking to get super serious about producing anything, just something that I can play and explore with. Is something like the Arturia Minifreak a good starter synth?
Here's a compact, fun experiment box that I might suggest for not a lot of cash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QolyBZksAJg
I loved mine so much that I got a second.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Pretty sure you have my old one lol. Glad you still like it!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

the sh-4d is on sale :thunk:

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

withak posted:

Microfreak is great but you will probably want a MS-CDR70 or similar if you don't already have some kind of fx box.

I made a little little chorus/delay/reverb rack in Ableton and mapped it to my mpk mini, so I have 8 knobs right next to the microfreak to dial in fx without having to actually interface with the daw

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but it is an external synth issue in the end (even though it is through a DAW).

I have been exporting midi from FL Studio, and some mobile midi apps, into Logic so that I can work on some unfinished songs and replace soft synths sounds with hardware. However I first hit an issue a few weeks ago when I found that all of the exported midi was locked to one volume. Whenever I started the track the volume would pop to a set value, so I just turned off volume automation on the piano roll since I couldn’t seem to delete it, though I would have preferred to know how to remove it entirely.

Today though I brought something into Logic (same volume issue) but every time I would move the transport a cc0 message was sent out to my synth. It would constantly switch back to patch 00 because of this, and I couldn’t figure out how to keep Logic from outputting it so I turned off incoming cc data in the synth settings.

“Delete track automation” did nothing for this which was surprising - nuking all the automation appeared to not touch the cc0 out. Even the pitch bend data was exported with the midi and Logic didn’t delete that either (not that I wanted that deleted) but it is making me really confused. How is this data (volume, cc0 bank change, pitch and who knows what else) being brought over when exporting midi? Especially cc0 since I never used that in the past.

I won’t be using FL Studio anymore so that isn’t an issue, but I do like inputting/sketching out midi parts on my phone when I’m not home, so I’d love to know how to avoid these issues and have an easier time exporting midi data into Logic. The cc0 message also didn’t affect software synths - I had blocked out the parts with Diva and Repro first to see if there were any problems and although the volume issue was there it never tried to bank change/reset to preset 0; I only noticed cc0 being sent whenever I moved the transport once I started trying to lay down the first track with the Pro 800.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I’d suggest trying out some midi monitoring/routing/filtering software to see what’s being transmitted over midi and, if need be, modify it. If you would have used Windows I would have recommended Midi-Ox but there’s gotta be something similar for Mac too.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

how do you export the midi from fl studio? do you export the individual tracks via the piano roll or do you export the entire song as midi?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Logic has the events list where you can filter midi events by type and presumably select and delete them. There are more event types than notes and ccs. Program change is one of them, which changes the preset on compatible synths. Sometimes this is immediately preceded by cc0 (bank select). For volume automation, look at cc7 it cc11.

E: most software synths will not adhere to the full general midi standard. Sometimes not at all, sometimes a small subset, sometimes they assign functions to random cc numbers. Hardware synths should have a midi implementation chart in the back of the manual if the effort is made.

Logic probably won't do any converting of any midi events to what it calls automation, so these things remain and function inside the midi data, separately from automation you add in logic itself.

It's very likely that deleting offending events after import every time is going to be your only option.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 8, 2024

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I haven't really been paying attention to sequencers in the last couple of years, what's the current hotness for hardware sequencers? The only one I really heard much about was the Korg SQ-64, which seems like it might be discontinued already? Nobody seems to have a product page for it anymore.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I'll forever plug Oxi One for hardware sequencing. It's a pretty powerful grid based sequencer with adjustable per note and per track randomization options that is really easy to jam on. It also has a pretty robust song writing mode but I hardly ever mess around with it since eurorack is basically guided meditation for me at this point.

Shameless self promotion- https://on.soundcloud.com/P5vSb

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

I haven't really been paying attention to sequencers in the last couple of years, what's the current hotness for hardware sequencers? The only one I really heard much about was the Korg SQ-64, which seems like it might be discontinued already? Nobody seems to have a product page for it anymore.

Sequencers I own or have owned, and why I hate them:
(MIDI + CV)
SQ-64: sometimes has clock problems, obtuse interface, I find note entry annoying
Key & Beatstep Pros: No real ratchets, not the world's best keybed for the price, jamming stuff in live requires better precision than I have to not quantize badly (this is user error maybe)
Ableton: gently caress I hate computers

(CV)
Arpitecht: c'mon this isn't even a sequencer
Rene2: give me a way to actually save what's in memory to an SD card or something and this would be my favorite performance sequencer ever.
Cellz: lol garbage
Bloom: divergent hardware made firmware updates impossible and oops there's some bugs
Mother32 on board: I swear I want to stick a screwdriver in my eye just thinking about this one

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDn0_mTVy4c

doot doot

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

MockingQuantum posted:

What are you trying to sequence? It would be good to know if you're running desktops or eurorack, if you want a keyboard, if you need CV, etc.

Generically speaking, the SQ-64 is by far the best bang for the buck for an outboard sequencer. Its not perfect but it does a lot with three pitched lanes and a drum lane with 8 gate outputs. It does MIDI and CV and can do chords per step if connected by MIDI. It technically does arps per step but in the dumbest most useless way imaginable so it really doesn't do arps. But, it can do basic modulation on any of the lanes and it has a bunch of options for scales, randomization, sequence lengths and performance modes. I found it really straightforward to use after some light RTFMing. It definitely has some quirks but for, uh, *checks reverb* like a $150 its kind of rad.

The Oxi One is much more expensive but looks to me to be extremely cool with a bunch more options and features. I've been eyeing one for a while, especially since i just recently did a trade for an Oxi Coral.

The keystep series is super well liked, especially for eurorack nerds. I have an original keystep and its a straightforward, easy to use sequencer and controller. It doesn't do anything other than play back the notes you enter, or play arps, but that may be all you need and its cheap as balls. There's also the Keystep 37 with some expanded features and, of course, the Keystep Pro with multiple sequencing lanes. All of them are much better than the price would lead you to believe.

If you want a eurorack sequencer, well, gently caress me, there's zillions. You can't throw a rock at a eurorack setup without hitting at least four sequencers. My 10U case has five (Euclidean Circles, Marbles, Pams, Hermod, O_c) and I have others, including a Metropolix, in a couple of palette cases. Also, I could build sequencers out of various modules if I ever thought I was lacking in sequencing options. Eurorack is dumb as gently caress.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
All you need is a clock/divider, an LFO with reset, a quantizer and sample/hold, fight me

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Thank you for a very detailed post! I suppose "what do you wanna control" is a pretty important piece of info. I'm mostly considering a hardware sequencer as a central "brain" for my setup as an alternative to a DAW, so in part I'm looking for something that gives me interesting ways to interact with the stuff I have. I'd be sequencing hardware synths via MIDI and some Eurorack, though my Euro setup is kind of small and mostly semi-modulars anyway. I do have some smaller sequencers (OG Keystep, SQ-1, 0ctrl) that I can use in fun and interesting ways but that aren't really a "run everything" kind of sequencer.

OXI One seems like the kind of thing I'm looking for honestly, I'll dig into that a little bit and see if it makes sense for my setup.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Lmfao if you think you can program a sequence that is better than your RNG.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

withak posted:

Lmfao if you think you can program a sequence that is better than your RNG.

We cannot lay down and let the computers win!!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best sequencer is actually the M8, we all grew up on the gameboy or nes so embrace it.

(if I wanted a desktop sequencer I'd probably get a Deluge)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

We cannot lay down and let the computers win!!

Don't have to. You could cobble something together with a lfo, noise, sampl&hold, and a shift register. (I think that's essentially the block diagram of a Turing machine)

Or, a clock, divider, and 4 channel cv mixer. Throw a bernoulli gate in the mix for spice.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

as much fun as cobbling a sequencer together in modular would be (and I mean that, it sounds very fun and I'm gonna do it in VCV later) I kinda want something that lets me save patterns

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Nerdseq is the way. It’s bad for quick spontaneous jams but great for songs and longer sets. The expanders will let you control absolutely everything.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

as much fun as cobbling a sequencer together in modular would be (and I mean that, it sounds very fun and I'm gonna do it in VCV later) I kinda want something that lets me save patterns

RMR has a "decouple pitch and note triggers" technique in one of his VCV tutorial videos and it's insanely fun. He uses it a lot in his other stuff but that's the only time I've seen it explained.

But the basic idea is you gate pitch changes with one pattern and trigger the note adsr with a different one. It creates some really interesting melodies that stay familiar but are always changing.

You can in fact "save" it in that case. :v:

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
I was looking for a new eurorack sequencer and ended up ordering a Nerdseq. It's still in the mail, but from what I can tell it has everything you'd want in a sequencer and more.

Outside of eurorack, the Deluge is really good, a full-fledged synth and sampler on its own in addition to really solid sequencer capabilities. I also like its keyboard layout, which gives you a guitar-style layout (or linnstrument-style) where each row moves up a 4th, highlighting notes that are in-key. It only has 1 CV/Gate out pair though, so you'd need a MIDI->CV module to drive more than one voice with CV.

I haven't used it, but the OXI One does look like a really good alternative if you need more CV and/or don't care about the synth parts of the Deluge. Much less expensive, too.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

(Edit: to answer watho I had exported the entire song from FL, first using the “prepare for midi” macro and then exporting to midi so that I could import all tracks at once and in place).

Thanks for the tips on the midi issue earlier - I haven’t done anything about it since turning off incoming midi cc on the synth works for now but when I’m done working on this music I’ll try to diagnose it using the info here. And also I got totally sidetracked trying to remake the sounds from my soft synths (since I had written and started the song before getting any hardware) on my Pro 800.

It’s been a learning experience. None of them really lined up with just putting the waveforms, filters etc. the same as the preset and it varied from being able to keep the oscillator waveforms the same and just needing to change the filter settings to having to completely disregard the soft synth settings and try to approximate by ear. I was especially surprised by one patch .which was a single trumpet kind of sound with a particular timbre I liked made on Repro 1, needing totally different settings on the Pro 800. Didn’t help that I was using the wavefolder in Repro and I couldn’t find any way to get a similar effect. I might post the before (with soft synths) and after (with hardware) when it’s done if it’s interesting enough as a comparison. The software was just Diva, Repro 1 and 5.

One issue though, which is confusing and I have a question about, was that I noticed this “click” on an arpeggio track starting every note. I’ve noticed it before, and have seen questions online about it so I know that just putting a little bump on the attack of the VCO filter will cover it up. However whenever I started playing or recording the click would come back.

For example the values on the Pro 800 go from 0-999. A value of roughly 30 on the attack gets rid of the click. So I would set it but then when I start playback or recording the click is there until I wiggle the attack knob as it’s playing. I ended up having to insert a duplicate measure 1 so I could slightly wiggle the knob through beat 1 of the now-second bar (the clicking would come back on bar 2, or the old bar 1, for some reason if I didn’t), and then delete bar 1 to reset it back to the way it should be. It then plays with no clicks throughout the 6+ minutes of the song.

I don’t know if that explanation makes sense. Why it’s happening though, makes absolutely no sense to me. Incoming midi cc is off on the synth so I know Logic isn’t resetting the attack filter for some reason. Have any of you experienced anything like that? There’s so much little poo poo like this to deal with compared to soft synths, but hardware is (theoretically) so much more fun and rewarding for some reason.

E: gently caress me I just realized the click came back at some point in the track and didn’t notice until the end when the arp is exposed like the beginning. I’m going to just run a declicker at this point.

rio fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 9, 2024

watho
Aug 2, 2013

whenever i export midi from FL Studio, which is pretty frequently due to rhythm game poo poo, i always just combine all the patterns for the instrument to one long pattern and then export it via the piano roll. my understanding is that the prepare for midi export macro is for some very specific use cases but i don't actually know

rio
Mar 20, 2008

watho posted:

whenever i export midi from FL Studio, which is pretty frequently due to rhythm game poo poo, i always just combine all the patterns for the instrument to one long pattern and then export it via the piano roll. my understanding is that the prepare for midi export macro is for some very specific use cases but i don't actually know

I have one more project I was going to export after this one was finished so that’s good to know. The reason I used that macro at all is because exporting it all at the same time didn’t work at all - when I tried to import it to Logic it wouldn’t load, but after using that macro it did work (though obviously with issues). When I get to it, I’ll export one track the way you’re saying (I forgot you can export from the piano roll to begin with) and test it. Thanks for the heads up.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDn0_mTVy4c

more fun with sensory translator. I'm leaving that pitch line from rene patched up for the moment, this is a 0coast but I should have an XPO here within a day or two and I am excited to drop it into the signal path as the MN vco instead of 0coast.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

any recs for a good standalone (ie. not Eurorack, not software) oscilloscope? I don't know basically anything about what's available these days but would like one for my studio setup and I might be able to talk my work into buying one for me as long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
For audio any used oscilloscope of your choice will be fine. If you're looking to buy something more modern I like the Siglent scopes since the trace emulates a phosphor screen which looks sexier and is easier to read than on most digital scopes.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

In a moment of weakness I ordered a Drumbrute Impact. I was thinking Microtonic is a hundred bucks so why not put that into hardware, half jokingly and then saw the impact is pretty affordable. Ironically I might pay for microtonic too since it can do more, but drums are the one thing I still need software for so at least now I could do an all hardware track (in theory).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

rio posted:

In a moment of weakness I ordered a Drumbrute Impact. I was thinking Microtonic is a hundred bucks so why not put that into hardware, half jokingly and then saw the impact is pretty affordable. Ironically I might pay for microtonic too since it can do more, but drums are the one thing I still need software for so at least now I could do an all hardware track (in theory).

Oh dang I've been meaning to sell my Impact for a while, I should have gotten my rear end in gear faster