Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

sebmojo posted:

Is the jetpack worthwhile?

It’s the only way you can do a Mandalorian build so yes.

Also getting into weird spots that make for great sniping/flanking positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I must praise the sound design on the Las Cannon, the sound it starts making when overheating makes me instinctively scared that my computer is breaking down.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
EAT, Eagle Airstrike, Orbital Laser

Laser Dog for bugs.
Shield for bots.

I could start taking the Quasar instead of EATs for bot missions if others are also running AT stuff and theres a strategem cooldown penalty, but at difficultly 7 it hasn't felt necessary yet.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sindai posted:

Remember that explosive weapon damage is misleadingly low since it only lists the impact damage.

It's really too bad how much they dropped the ball with the stats and special features of every gun. You just have to take them out in the field and try them out, reading about them is mostly useless.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

sebmojo posted:

I love that solo missions are effectively a thing. Can you stop people joining? I don't really care, just interested if it's a mechanic.

Sort of. You can set your games to private, so only friends can join.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I don't understand what people are bringing their EATs/Quasar/RR for on bots. The only thing it's notably good against is dropships, which while nice really isn't worth a support slot by itself. They don't really do well against Hulks, Tanks, Devastators or Striders, aka everything in the bot army that will kill you dead and is annoying to fight without support weapons. The new gunships are a decent target and I can't speak to how effective they are against factory striders but overall they seem really underwhelming.

Using them because you like rockets or you haven't unlocked other support weapons yet or you think dropships exploding look awesome (it is) are all fair enough but some people act like they're essential anti-bot tools which I just don't get.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Darox posted:

I don't understand what people are bringing their EATs/Quasar/RR for on bots. The only thing it's notably good against is dropships, which while nice really isn't worth a support slot by itself. They don't really do well against Hulks, Tanks, Devastators or Striders, aka everything in the bot army that will kill you dead and is annoying to fight without support weapons. The new gunships are a decent target and I can't speak to how effective they are against factory striders but overall they seem really underwhelming.

Using them because you like rockets or you haven't unlocked other support weapons yet or you think dropships exploding look awesome (it is) are all fair enough but some people act like they're essential anti-bot tools which I just don't get.

They oneshot devestators and striders, oneshot hulks if you hit right and two-shot tanks/turrets from any direction. I guess a small buff against tanks might be in order (let us oneshot them from behind) but I don't see what else could be done to make them much better.

Shooting down dropships is essential fun though, yes.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Darox posted:

I noticed the effect of Quasar/EATs/RR more as a group for bots. Best group I had in a while was me on Autocannon, two guys with Quasars, and the last guy with EATs. I forget their primaries but I think a couple people were running scorcher. Rest of the loadouts were typical if I remember- couple with Eagle Airstrikes, someone with 500kg, couple lasers, couple EMS mortars, etc

On missions where you cannot avoid dropship spam, being able to delete the entire loving fleets of dropships the game spams at you makes life a LOT easier. Do a seismic probe, then the 3-4 dropships swoop in which is a number very clearly meant to overwhelm what the devs probably consider your average AA potential- but then you actually overwhelm them instead and shoot down every single one which kills 90% of the incoming bots. It makes stuff a breeze.

Being able to dunk unlimited amounts of dropship spam actually lets you plant your feet and slug it out with the bots, pubbie style. Even on 7+. I think it's actually a big weakness of the bots- I can't magically delete potentially a whole bug breach with a single shot from a Quasar.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

sushibandit posted:

New 'bond trailer up. I loving love spiked grenades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhd9FYLLEPc

Missed opportunity to do in universe ads for weapons complete with parody super fast disclaimer speech at the end.

If you're not in the US, we have these medicine and gambling ads that are required to include disclaimers about how bad they are for you so they play the disclaimers at 2x speed at the end.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 5, 2024

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Gonna need heavy AA now anyway if you're unlucky enough to get multiple gunship spawners. Just had a blitz with 3 gunship spawners and we got hit with the reinforce bug. Fortunately we took out 4/5 before three of us were unable to reinforce, but the last guy had to die a million times to gunships by himself while rushing the last fab to get the win.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Feeling good about going with the slightly thicker armor; more opportunities to say "gently caress it"

https://i.imgur.com/oNpyFEa.mp4

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

thotsky posted:

They oneshot devestators and striders,
This is not impressive or practical at all for EAT/quasar with the frequency those enemies appear, and also when the competition is autocannon/AMR/scorcher.

Like, when several striders walk into view, rocket launchers are a terrible solution. When you're trying to peek a heavy devastator with a rocket devastator behind him, again a terrible solution. A hulk, now it's ok... but a little worse still if it's got some mediums keeping it company. Tanks and dropships are the only time they make sense to me, but the former is more important to control and you can do that with just stratagems.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Darox posted:

Similar to the AC but with unlimited ammo and allows for other backpack stuff. And dropship deletion is extremely satisfying. I've taken to using the AC against bots because I like the rate of fire but not having the shield against all the little plinking hits, from enemies and friendlies alike, is something I do miss.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I like how this game brings out the armchair strategists who say unequivocally that X is a bad choice because you have Y and you'd be a stupid dumb moron to use X when you have Y you stupid idiot USE Y!!!

Maybe people like using X :shrug:

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

LazyMaybe posted:

someone tell arrowhead to just make the plasma shotgun have the same arc as demoman's pipes

At least a shallow enough arc that I can still see the enemies 10m away when trying to aim at them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
One or two Quasars floating around on the team is really nice for getting rid of a dropship per drop and any surprise Hulk/tank but the last drop had 3 Quasar/shields and we just got overwhelmed by devastators. They each had shield packs so stayed alive ok, but couldn't push onto objectives and it was a prospecting mission.

And for a blitz mission that might actually work! Your strategems do most of the work there in terms of rapid elimination anyway.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 5, 2024

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Darox posted:

They don't really do well against Hulks, Tanks, Devastators or Striders, aka everything in the bot army that will kill you dead and is annoying to fight without support weapons.

Please tell me more about how they do not do well against hulks (the thing they can one shot from the front)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Dropship poppin rules

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

explosivo posted:

I like how this game brings out the armchair strategists who say unequivocally that X is a bad choice because you have Y and you'd be a stupid dumb moron to use X when you have Y you stupid idiot USE Y!!!

One of Arrowhead's great achievements in this game is how different guns that have the same purpose feel. Gunfeel matters and people will enjoy using whatever works better for them and I find that beautiful.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Everything has their own upsides and downsides. Like I love the AC, but the long and frequent reload plus the need for a backpack slot is a real pain. If I was bringing it I really want other squad mates to bring other stuff to kill smaller targets.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I just started using the Scorcher and while it is very effective I do echo the goons who say it has all the...

...of shooting spitballs, except without the fun of having the back of a supply teacher's head to target.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
And who cares if the EATs/Quasar/RR is too slow at dealing with devastators when you can just stunlock them with a Punisher. Hulk with devastators? Get in cover and use a stun grenade when you need to pop out to take your shots on the hulk.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

explosivo posted:

If they just liked using X, they wouldn't be posting about how X is good due to Y scenario. That's an argument for usefulness, not fun.

Quasars are good vs bots, by the way. It's just nonsense to list striders and devastators as things it's good against.

Fangz posted:

Everything has their own upsides and downsides. Like I love the AC, but the long and frequent reload plus the need for a backpack slot is a real pain. If I was bringing it I really want other squad mates to bring other stuff to kill smaller targets.
The only bots that are too small for AC to be good against are things best handled with an accurate primary or an AoE stratagem. Unless you're talking bugs, in which case I'm running GL/machinegun.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

LazyMaybe posted:

The only bots that are too small for AC to be good against are things best handled with an accurate primary or an AoE stratagem. Unless you're talking bugs, in which case I'm running GL/machinegun.

I feel like this kinda extends to striders and devastators too since the scorcher exists. I don’t understand the pea shooter complaints, you click their heads (which is pretty easy to do since both kinda just lumber in your general direction) and they die really fast.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lobok posted:

I just started using the Scorcher and while it is very effective I do echo the goons who say it has all the...

...of shooting spitballs, except without the fun of having the back of a supply teacher's head to target.

I really think the scorcher would be fixed by a better animation. The days of flamethrower shooting a little line of fire are over, we can now simulate high pressure burning viscous liquid correctly. Flamethrower are also incredibly loud in real life. Fix the animation and sound and people would like it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

LazyMaybe posted:

If they just liked using X, they wouldn't be posting about how X is good due to Y scenario. That's an argument for usefulness, not fun.

Quasars are good vs bots, by the way. It's just nonsense to list striders and devastators as things it's good against.

The point isn't that the AC isn't good against them, the point is that I have to stand still to reload every five shots, and I want to focus on shooting worthwhile targets. This is a large downside you can't just ignore.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

causticBeet posted:

Please tell me more about how they do not do well against hulks (the thing they can one shot from the front)

No hulk is going to let you stand in view and charge a quasar without delivering a rocket to your face.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Senator is my prefered weapon for striders these days, saves my grenades.

Been practicing the spear because I want to hunt robot mammoth, but the other players keep ganking them before I get there. :argh:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Astrochicken posted:

No hulk is going to let you stand in view and charge a quasar without delivering a rocket to your face.

You charge while you are in cover and aim as you come out of it. Or stun it or have your team distract it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Astrochicken posted:

You can use cover like rocks and buildings to block rockets! :eng101:

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Astrochicken posted:

You can charge the shot while at safe range, prone, shielded or behind cover then pop out to deliver it. You can also stun the hulk with EMS or a stun grenade and then freely charge before it reactivates. It's exactly the same as a max charge railgun and people have been popping hulk heads with the rail since launch.

Is it a downside that you can't fire instantly? Absolutely. Does this negate the value of it one-shotting hulks to the face? No.

EFBx2

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Lobok posted:

I like it. It reminds me of the scout rifles from destiny 2.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Arglebargle III posted:

I really think the scorcher would be fixed by a better animation. The days of flamethrower shooting a little line of fire are over, we can now simulate high pressure burning viscous liquid correctly. Flamethrower are also incredibly loud in real life. Fix the animation and sound and people would like it.

Uh, the Scorcher isn't the flamethrower.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Fangz posted:

The point isn't that the AC isn't good against them, the point is that I have to stand still to reload every five shots, and I want to focus on shooting worthwhile targets. This is a large downside you can't just ignore.
It's not a large downside, a 5 round reload on the AC is frankly quite fast and very easy to do if you're playing cover/LoS as you should be.

causticBeet posted:

I feel like this kinda extends to striders and devastators too since the scorcher exists. I don’t understand the pea shooter complaints, you click their heads (which is pretty easy to do since both kinda just lumber in your general direction) and they die really fast.
Right, which is part of why quasar is good. If you couldn't effectively kill striders from the front with scorcher I think it'd be harder to justify not running a support weapon that's good against mediums.
But when running AC, imo you might as well run a primary that's better at killing other stuff than scorcher is since autocannon mops up strider/devastator so effectively. Why peek a heavy dev trying to headshot it with a rifle when I could instead stagger it with the AC and still kill it in 2-3 bodyshots if I miss the head?

Astrochicken posted:

Why would you be doing the whole charge out in the open?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I went back to the Sickle after using the Defender for awhile. While the Defender is really awesome, not running out of ammo is also really awesome.

Also I brought the AC into a bug mission by accident and I am happy to say that it does rule in bug missions too. Just gotta save my big-boy stratagems for the Titans.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Here's an exercise: what is every support weapon's worst quality?

Machine Gun: Can't handle heavier enemies and the reload is probably the worst of any weapon. You could have just shot those little bugs with literally anything.

Stalwart: Is it a support weapon or just a bigger rifle? The same target problems as the machine gun but also you'll always be on the lookout for more ammo.

Grenade Launcher: you're still not actually carrying something that dunks on the heaviest units and unlike other explosive support weapons you WILL spam this thing to the point that you kill yourself or someone else.

Anti Material Rifle: Too small to shoot the big enemies, too big to shoot the small enemies. 90% of what you killed, you could have just used your primary.

EATS: When you need this the most is exactly when the call down will be jammed, or a tide of enemies will materialize and interpose themselves between you and the drop pod.

Recoilless Rocket: You've put all the EATs you would have called down onto your back, so now you can lose them in the initial hot drop.

Quasar: Thanks to infinite ammo, you've got steady access to a luke warm trickle of firepower.

Auto Cannon: The perfect weapon, as long as you only compare it to other support weapons and not it's actual cost, which is another support weapon and a back slot.

Break Action Shotgun: You picked this up because it's the first hour of the game and you don't know what you're doing. You picked it up from a corpse, doesn't that tell you anything??

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

LazyMaybe posted:

Right, which is part of why quasar is good. If you couldn't effectively kill striders from the front with scorcher I think it'd be harder to justify not running a support weapon that's good against mediums.
But when running AC, imo you might as well run a primary that's better at killing other stuff than scorcher is since autocannon mops up strider/devastator so effectively. Why peek a heavy dev trying to headshot it with a rifle when I could instead stagger it with the AC and still kill it in 2-3 bodyshots if I miss the head?

Against bots there is no primary better at killing other stuff than the scorcher.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Darox posted:

Quasars one shot hulks. Devastators.....

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

darnon posted:

And who cares if the EATs/Quasar/RR is too slow at dealing with devastators when you can just stunlock them with a Punisher. Hulk with devastators? Get in cover and use a stun grenade when you need to pop out to take your shots on the hulk.

Quasar punisher is my combo and its served me perfectly fine yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Gin_Rummy posted:

Is deliberate team killing a problem at higher levels or was I just getting particularly unlucky yesterday? Got killed more times than I count, which I originally chalked up to idiots not knowing to let go of the trigger while getting their personal order with the Stalwart… but then some dudes just started taking pot shots at me and a buddy in a game later on. After that some guy decided with one objective left to try and sabotage our attempt to unlock the top difficulty by just killing all of us repeatedly.

It literally never happens after the first few difficulties once the novelty of friendly fire wears off.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I just tried the ballistic shield for the first time on a level 8 bot mission and uhh, it's insanely overpowered in a way that people gushing about it never quite conveyed to me with words. You just leave it on your back and it essentially makes a significant chunk of your body fully invincible. It has no health and never breaks, it completely blocks small laser fire, it makes it so that rockets hitting the ground behind you or next to you do zero damage and don't launch you through the air (though they do make you fall over), it blocks Berserker and small bot melee attacks when you are facing away from them, I'm pretty sure it even made diving backwards off a cliff do 0 damage to me. It blocks a much wider arc of your body than you would expect from looking at it. It's pretty much the energy shield on steroids and without any of the energy shield's drawbacks like recharge time or messing up hitboxes.

Based on your comment I tried this too and its surprisingly effective. It counts as a backpack so you can still carry a support that doesn't require a backpack like EAT / GL / Quasar.

Darox posted:

They exist to avoid the need to aim / flank armoured targets.

EATs specifically let you ignore your corpse, good for zap brannigan suicide missions against a heavily alarmed base, 1 reinforce for 1 objective. Throw the orbital laser or 380mm, maybe both at the same time and be done. Don't discount this idea on bot helldives.