Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Flowers for QAnon posted:

If I go to a warhammer thing will they let me play with my Avengers funkos? I have a full set

Are they based? A lot of stuff in the game is determined by measuring from the edge of the base, so they need to be on a base. That base also needs to be the same size as the base for the official model you’re running your Funko as.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the actual answer for gw events is no, base or no

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I played Warhammer fantasy with someone who had a huge temper. He played high elves, and one time, his dragon riding elf died, so he picked it up and threw it across the store. It shattered into dozens of pieces because this was when they were made of metal

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I played Warhammer fantasy with someone who had a huge temper. He played high elves, and one time, his dragon riding elf died, so he picked it up and threw it across the store. It shattered into dozens of pieces because this was when they were made of metal

I really love WH40k lore. The books, video games, some of the animated shows from Warhammer TV I've seen, all really excellent fun stuff I really dig. I'm super pumped to see how the Amazon cinematic stuff Cavill is working on turns out.

I have tried and simply cannot get into the tabletop aspect that birthed the whole franchise because inevitably I will encounter the people who are loving weirdos or assholes about it and I can go without. Also tabletop games are kind of boring to me.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Gripweed posted:

Are they based? A lot of stuff in the game is determined by measuring from the edge of the base, so they need to be on a base. That base also needs to be the same size as the base for the official model you’re running your Funko as.

Yeah, the bases are flared perfectly

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that looks better. Idk. Sigmar always seemed way too, idk High fantasy for my taste. like old world was never low fantasy but i always prefered holy roman empire but also litteral hell exists and ratmen below and etc. like the gods are real and help but its also less upfront. idk. sigmar misses kinda the grimdarkness silly i like and more just silly. to each their own.
WHFB was always high fantasy but it wasn't uniformly high fantasy, I think that's the thing. There's contrast. The dragons and helicopters and steam tanks and magic spells exist in a substrate of mundane spearmen, archers and cavalry. That's also why the Total War games are so great, because it has the substrate of regular, grounded premodern combat and you have your line of elven spearmen and flanking cavalry but boom here come the helicopter gunships.

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

when you get down to it, can space marines even be called 'male' after so much generic modification? do they even have a full dick and balls, canonically?
I think they would have the equipment for like, Greek sculpture reasons, because they're supposed to be the ideal human as determined by an inhuman being who doesn't understand humans at all. You gotta have the dong to complete the asthetics. But they're completely asexual and aromantic and probably sterile.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 4, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Elukka posted:

WHFB was always high fantasy but it wasn't uniformly high fantasy, I think that's the thing. There's contrast. The dragons and helicopters and steam tanks and magic spells exist in a substrate of mundane spearmen, archers and cavalry. That's also why the Total War games are so great, because it has the substrate of regular, grounded premodern combat and you have your line of elven spearmen and flanking cavalry but boom here come the helicopter gunships.

I think they would have the equipment for like, Greek sculpture reasons, because they're supposed to be the ideal human as determined by an inhuman being who doesn't understand humans at all. You gotta have the dong to complete the asthetics. But they're completely asexual and aromantic and probably sterile.

yeah but its also why i like the witcher universe. it has all the magic poo poo but the world has adapted to alot of it and made it mundane for the most part, least to the upper classes and the growing middle class. like one of my favorite details of the world is that one of the big reasons witchers are dying out is because they arnt fully needed anymore. tech has replaced them in many cases, espcially closer to the centers of power. like yeah, lord faquad could lose a dozen dudes but thats a price he is willing to pay to save on gold or clean up his fields. witchers are rare and its a lovely loving job that involves alot of hosed up poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 4, 2024

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I remember when they made those rulesets for custom vehicles in white dwarf, and so being the nerd I am I immediately made a nearly-2000-point Gundam Heavyarms Custom using the gunpla I had recently purchased. so it had like 12 twin-linked gatling heavy bolters and a bunch of gatling missile pods and multi-targeting so it could attack multiple enemy units at a time and it had like 12 structure points or whatever. I took it to my LGS and played against a guy who had a full imperial guard army and wanted to try it out against those new vehicle rules. so it was his entire 2k IG force against the one Gundam and two squads of space marine scouts iirc

he wound up getting really mad because every turn I would smear at least two entire units off the board with like 120 twin-linked heavy bolter shots and his tanks would routinely take about 30 missile hits each volley. even with a couple super lucky multi-penetrating catastrophic hits against the Gundam it still had like a third the structure points left by the time his last unit got wasted. me, being a middle school kid, was having a great time imagining it just doing this to the entire Imperial Guard frontline

https://i.imgur.com/qqOOmFu.mp4

naem
May 29, 2011

Elukka posted:

WHFB was always high fantasy but it wasn't uniformly high fantasy, I think that's the thing. There's contrast. The dragons and helicopters and steam tanks and magic spells exist in a substrate of mundane spearmen, archers and cavalry.

That's also why the Total War games are so great, because it has the substrate of regular, grounded premodern combat and you have your line of elven spearmen and flanking cavalry but boom here come the helicopter gunships.

As much as traditional strategy etc is fun, Total War Warhammer 2 for a while had the Vampire Blob where you get all your guys in a group and have health regeneration, unbreakable leadership and AOE spells going off at once and it kind of broke the game as demonstrated in this video that has 14 whole views

https://youtu.be/wsbw2Zb38Uw?si=qZg5kgBYoA7HF2U0

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
A old game but good one was Warhammer: Shadow of the horned rat.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Anyone ever mess around with the Fantasy Flight roleplaying games? Only War had way too many subsystems and unnecessary dice rolls (in a percentile system!), but once we shaved down everything into a basic stat roll + modifiers it became a ton more fun (and you could actually finish a combat encounter in a single session).

The critical tables were so, so dumb, yet perfect for the 40k setting:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Thank God they didn't use a d12

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Willatron posted:

I have tried and simply cannot get into the tabletop aspect that birthed the whole franchise because inevitably I will encounter the people who are loving weirdos or assholes about it and I can go without.

welcome to the weirdos and assholes thread

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

ChickenHeart posted:

Anyone ever mess around with the Fantasy Flight roleplaying games? Only War had way too many subsystems and unnecessary dice rolls (in a percentile system!), but once we shaved down everything into a basic stat roll + modifiers it became a ton more fun (and you could actually finish a combat encounter in a single session).

The critical tables were so, so dumb, yet perfect for the 40k setting:

Tbh I mostly actually engage with 40k through the FFG TTRPGs. The rest of the time is shitposting on the internet.

Anyway I think they're neat, the super complicated and poorly written rules are kind of a staple throughout though. Seems like Dark Heresy 2 might be a bit better for that?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Smugworth posted:

welcome to the weirdos and assholes thread

weirdos and assholes
leave the Hall

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

From the edge of the base on the top or bottom? I feel like there's a good extra inch of measuring depending on the method.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Alucard posted:

From the edge of the base on the top or bottom? I feel like there's a good extra inch of measuring depending on the method.

Edge of the base.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Literally A Person posted:

Thank God they didn't use a d12

11 and 12 are vortex grenade results

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I liked WFB because it was actually more Early Modern pike and shot in the Empire at least (well ok more mid 16th century) not your usual mediaeval stuff. Had a whole bunch of dwarf pikemen in like landsknecht outfits.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One of the big problems with Sigmar is in completely destroying the old setting and making it clear it was a distant memory at best destroyed pretty much all the stuff that actually made it interesting. The consistent setting where people actually live, work, and play, the amusement of the geography where the Holy Roman Empire is right not to Dark Ages Arthurian France where the attitude towards guns takes a total flip, hints of distant mysterious poo poo that sometimes eventually gets introduced into the game, and messy edges right at home where you have an Empire that's actually pretty good at getting along with people basically acting as a buffer between elves and dwarves who have ridiculous ancestral grudges.

Hard to understate how much Sigmar initially was a trash fire, in presentation, rules and fluff. The attempts at worldbuilding and setting the stage mostly sounding like an overstimulated 8 year old (and not in the good way) going on about A MILLION BILLION SKELETONS and near every faction having ridiculously one-note personalities even by Warhammer standards. And this was all presented proudly, as if it was clearly a massive improvement over the old poo poo no one wanted... right as Total Warhammer was making bank.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
age of sigmar made absolute bank compared to whfb, and thats what matters to gw

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

I remember when they made those rulesets for custom vehicles in white dwarf, and so being the nerd I am I immediately made a nearly-2000-point Gundam Heavyarms Custom using the gunpla I had recently purchased. so it had like 12 twin-linked gatling heavy bolters and a bunch of gatling missile pods and multi-targeting so it could attack multiple enemy units at a time and it had like 12 structure points or whatever. I took it to my LGS and played against a guy who had a full imperial guard army and wanted to try it out against those new vehicle rules. so it was his entire 2k IG force against the one Gundam and two squads of space marine scouts iirc

he wound up getting really mad because every turn I would smear at least two entire units off the board with like 120 twin-linked heavy bolter shots and his tanks would routinely take about 30 missile hits each volley. even with a couple super lucky multi-penetrating catastrophic hits against the Gundam it still had like a third the structure points left by the time his last unit got wasted. me, being a middle school kid, was having a great time imagining it just doing this to the entire Imperial Guard frontline

https://i.imgur.com/qqOOmFu.mp4

Oh hell yeah, this sounds like the coolest thing. Reminds me of the modders who realised that Fromsoft's games have a lot of technical similarities and imported an armored core model into Elden Ring. It doesn't do anything other than provide a sense of scale, but surely one day we'll have our ridiculous crossover.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One of the big problems with Sigmar is in completely destroying the old setting and making it clear it was a distant memory at best destroyed pretty much all the stuff that actually made it interesting. The consistent setting where people actually live, work, and play, the amusement of the geography where the Holy Roman Empire is right not to Dark Ages Arthurian France where the attitude towards guns takes a total flip, hints of distant mysterious poo poo that sometimes eventually gets introduced into the game, and messy edges right at home where you have an Empire that's actually pretty good at getting along with people basically acting as a buffer between elves and dwarves who have ridiculous ancestral grudges.

Hard to understate how much Sigmar initially was a trash fire, in presentation, rules and fluff. The attempts at worldbuilding and setting the stage mostly sounding like an overstimulated 8 year old (and not in the good way) going on about A MILLION BILLION SKELETONS and near every faction having ridiculously one-note personalities even by Warhammer standards. And this was all presented proudly, as if it was clearly a massive improvement over the old poo poo no one wanted... right as Total Warhammer was making bank.

This. Fantasy had its issues but sigmar just kinda felt like imagination cartoon land like something modern blizzard would poo poo out.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Hollismason posted:

I got banned temporarily from my local GW because the manager was a STEMlord and I asked him what the hottest part of The Sun was, and when he responded with science poo poo I told him he was wrong and it was Page 3.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Hollismason posted:

A old game but good one was Warhammer: Shadow of the horned rat.

I had that on the PlayStation and my dad asked what I was doing and I said something like "I'm sending my mercenary band on a quest that should pay a most handsome divident" and he told me to never, ever speak like that again and my 7 year old brother agreed with him.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

This. Fantasy had its issues but sigmar just kinda felt like imagination cartoon land like something modern blizzard would poo poo out.

AoS was bad when it came out but they fixed it and it's good now. It has a defined setting with people and stuff now. Its got this guy now

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Hollismason posted:

what kind of metal shatters when a nerd throws it, lol?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

NoiseAnnoys posted:

metal that has been crudely glued together by a child

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

NoiseAnnoys posted:

It used to bend super easily too.

My last hurrah for Warhammer is when I got invited over to a guy from Schools house to play but they hid my bully in a cupboard and they beat the poo poo out of me and threw my skavens in the river.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Yeah the Soulbound RPG has done a lot to make AoS feel more lived in. It's still high fantasy vs low fantasy but you can do some really cool poo poo when your basic conceit is "people from heaven attempting to set up functioning cities in post-post-apocalyptic landscapes where the locals may have opinions ranging from "gently caress you" to "it's our city now"

Death has been conquered by the worst rear end in a top hat ever. The chaos gods are still corrupting everything they can. The heroes that led the initial push are starting to break down and what does that mean?

Also in the metal realm there's a band of plant folk and dwarves that get along totally fine and kick rear end together. Because the plant people in the metal realm are like half living metal anyway.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Wasn't the driving force behind AoS basically greed? Like "oh poo poo, we can't have exclusive rights to our mishmash of Tolkien, Lovecraft and Robert E Howard, we better burn it to the ground and half-rear end some poo poo"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it was low sales, not ip problems

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
yeah also search engine optimization.

and I'm not saying that the End Times didn't suck or the AoS launch was done well at all but saying that one particular decision made by GW was motivated by greed is kind of missing the forest for the trees there. I don't think the company has made a single decision ever that wasn't motivated by greed.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

bob dobbs is dead posted:

it was low sales, not ip problems

Yeah the Fantasy model range was half their product range but allegedly was about 10% of their sales.

And they've just recently brought back Fantasy as The Old World, in all it's generic glory. But with a lower level of support, basically treating it as a niche game for super nerds.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the margin being comparable to google's is why they survived and grew, and basically most of the historical models industry did not

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gripweed posted:

AoS was bad when it came out but they fixed it and it's good now. It has a defined setting with people and stuff now. Its got this guy now

so do humans just live there now or how does it work? also what on ramp would you recomend

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Gripweed posted:

Yeah the Fantasy model range was half their product range but allegedly was about 10% of their sales.

And they've just recently brought back Fantasy as The Old World, in all it's generic glory. But with a lower level of support, basically treating it as a niche game for super nerds.

No poo poo? I'll drop by my local Games Workshop Warhammer this weekend.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so do humans just live there now or how does it work? also what on ramp would you recomend

Humans have lived there for a long time, they just haven't had much model representation until recently. Basically, there was a time when all the non-Chaos god worked together and they recreated their mortal followers to live in the Mortal Realms and everything was basically OK. This was the Age of Myth. Then Chaos came raring back, the Age of Chaos started, and the mortal followers of the other gods either died, switched to Chaos, hid where they could, or fled to the Realm of Heaven, Azyr, the last stronghold of Order. Then Sigmar invented the Stormcast Eternals to be his ultimate warriors to lead a reconguista of the Mortal Realms. In their wake came crusades of mortals from Azyr who set up new cities in the Realms. This is the titular Age of Sigmar.

The problem is there isn't a really good on ramp. I'd say the best AoS novel I've read is Gloomspite. It's a fun little fantasy horror story and does a great job selling the Bad Moon as this absolute nightmare thing you don't ever want to see rise over your home. The other AoS novels I've read fall on the spectrum from bad to OK.

Honestly the best AoS thing I've read was the Sons of Behemat Battletome. Sons of Behemat being the giants, and Battletome being what AoS calls Codexes. Like in normal Codexes it gives you an overview of the guys and a history of notable military campaigns, but because it's giants it reads like a collection of fables. Notable military campaigns for the Sons of Behemat are typically stuff like, a giant slept in the way of an army and they woke him up and they had a big fight, or two giants got into an argument about who could throw further and in demonstrating their throwing abilities destroyed a human city one throwable building at a time.

There's no really great onramp, no AoS equivalent of Eisenhorn or Gaunt's Ghosts. But if you're interested definitely give Gloomspite a chance. And maybe Court of the Blind King if you are into elves who suck.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Disco Pope posted:

I got banned temporarily from my local GW because the manager was a STEMlord and I asked him what the hottest part of The Sun was, and when he responded with science poo poo I told him he was wrong and it was Page 3.

lol funny poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

In any of the 40k lore, any of the books or whatever, does anyone ever cuddle another character? Maybe a tender smooch?