Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Oh, do you get to experience the "Next time, on Stargate SG-1!" previews? Sometimes they overplay the threat to the point of humour.

Amazon skips credits directly to the next episode as soon as the screen goes to black before I can even grab my remote and tell it not to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The opening credits theme is an all time banger but there's one part of the theme that kicks in that is really exciting like for an action packed moment, the credits accentuate this part of the theme by showing you the bald general in his dress uniform pointing at a whiteboard

It used to just be the camera looking at an Egyptian artifact before an artifacted freeze frame

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Next episode, which I will have to have for tomorrow:

A Goa'uld who had taken on the persona of the Egyptian sex goddess, Hathor, casts her deadly spell over all the men in the Stargate base

This sounds like an episode that was probably better on Showtime but I think Amazon is all the syndication cuts

Incredibly, it wasn't. Aside from That Scene in the pilot everything was the same, I think they were aiming for syndication.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Oh, do you get to experience the "Next time, on Stargate SG-1!" previews? Sometimes they overplay the threat to the point of humour.

"I've seen this movie. It hits Paris."

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Just watched SGA: Midway. Hell yes

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

well why not posted:

Just watched SGA: Midway. Hell yes

Yeah, good episode.

I'm watching SGA for mostly the first time and I'm in season 4 now and enjoying it. No spoilers, but the best SGA episodes IMO are the ones that have some SG1 elements to it. And I think the writers got this too as the SG1 crossovers seem more numerous as SGA goes along.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I dunno, seems a bit out there. Wormholes? A big no-nonsense warrior alien mourning his wife and separated from his son? Playful banter between Ben Browder and Claudia Black?

of course its out there, its farscape not nearscape

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Thor - O'Neill bromance is the best.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

redshirt posted:

The Thor - O'Neill bromance is the best.

I like when Thor implies he'll go non-contact if Russia tries to shake up his best friend club and he has to deal with anyone other than Hammond or O'Neill.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

redshirt posted:

Yeah, good episode.

I'm watching SGA for mostly the first time and I'm in season 4 now and enjoying it. No spoilers, but the best SGA episodes IMO are the ones that have some SG1 elements to it. And I think the writers got this too as the SG1 crossovers seem more numerous as SGA goes along.
To be fair, it did take a while to make SG-1 interactions make any sense!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

McSpanky posted:

Furlong

Furling

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Furloing?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Do they make the doctor character main cast at any point?

She's charming and has a good personality, she's great at her job, it's a role that seems like it would be an important one in a show like this, she's hot, she's already in like half the episodes. She should be in the opening credits.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Do they make the doctor character main cast at any point?

For SG1? Doctor ends up in some good Jack and Tealc episodes, but she also features in a couple good multi-parters and joins some teams through the gate.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Chronojam posted:

For SG1? Doctor ends up in some good Jack and Tealc episodes, but she also features in a couple good multi-parters and joins some teams through the gate.

I want her getting that opening credits money

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Dr Fraiser is the best.

I wish they did something more with cassandra. same with tealc getting a place off base. seeing that side of aliens through the gate interacting with locals was always great. they had a great reason with her too and i feel like even when they did they didn’t go far enough. i’m not saying it’s bad it’s just hard to write a really philosophical take on society through the eyes of a complete foreigner and they had a lot of buildup cached to be able to give the viewers better context for the alienness. It was almost always Tauri in a weird place.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

That's why I liked the episode with the Tolan. The SGC get to be the primitive humans who can't make heads or tails of the tech these other guys have and overreact, thankfully they make friends with one of them and manage to escape.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Old Doc Frazier

*beam in the eye

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Teal'c episodes I'm hoping they do

1) Teal'c is discovered by a modeling agency
2) Teal'c goes to a baseball game with Jack
3) Teal'c has to coach a little league hockey team
4) Teal'c wins the lottery
5) Teal'c starts a band
6) General Hammond gets a call from Washington that all personnel have to have at least a bachelor's degree including Teal'c and he had to go on an accelerated course of study at Colorado Mesa University but the Dean is a Goa'uld

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 7, 2024

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Teal'c has two dates on the same night in the same restaurant

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

General Hammond gets called away on business and only Teal'c is around to babysit his two princess loving granddaughters.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Armacham posted:

Teal'c has two dates on the same night in the same restaurant

both dates at once so its fine, if our man tealc can dual wield p90s he can dual wield anything

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Teal'c's wife files for divorce and the only way Teal'c can see his children is by disguising himself as an elderly nanny

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Teal'c has to assemble a Jaffa baseball team after being challenged by the Stargate Command champs.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Teal'c has to move in with Jack and it plays out like every Odd Couple episode.

Teal'c bumps into actor Christopher Judge and the pair accidentally switch places.

Teal'c acts like a real Scrooge around the holidays because he doesn't have the Christmas spirit. The Goa'osts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future show up to show him the meaning of the season.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

JediTalentAgent posted:

Teal'c acts like a real Scrooge around the holidays because he doesn't have the Christmas spirit. The Goa'osts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future show up to show him the meaning of the season.

with special guest start Jaye Davidson

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Teal'c must go away on a week-long solo mission, but his near-identical sister T'quila is here to fill in!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Post your favorite Teal'c hats

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Hell yeah steak & eggs please

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Armacham posted:

It’s the fire cowboy look and it’s not even close.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Armacham posted:

We have caught nothing. We are fishing.

edit: for your nightmares

KajiTheMelonMan fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 7, 2024

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

edit: for your nightmares

d-does this count as a racist caricature??

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Vaginas!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Christopher Judge is kind of an insanely pretty man

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Machello episode was.... meh, but I loved it when Judge and RDA switched characters and Judge was playing O'Neill and RDA was playing Teal'c. Fun times.

Also, thinking about it, that friendship - Teal'c and O'Niell - is one of the foundations of the show, and what makes it so great.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Honestly all of the intercharacter relationships i can think of are both interesting and realistic, and they help build a more complete character for each. Are there any non-guest relationships that stick out as particularly odd or out of character?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It really helps to me that there's is a pretty small cast compared to a lot of shows. You got four main characters, their boss, and shells the doctor character.

I'm not even through season one of course but it seems like characters also recur when it would make sense and you do get to see those relationships develop.

But like Voyager which is roughly contemporaneous: Janeway, Chakotay, Neelix, Kes, Paris, Torres, Kim, Doctor, Tuvok - you will see all of these characters in most episodes whether or not they'd be directly relevant. This show really isn't about character relationships or development for the most part

SG-1: Teal'c, Carter, O'Neill, Jackson, General - And sometimes the general isn't even in it cause none of the episode takes place on Earth. You just get a lot more time with everybody

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Voyager also had super inconsistent characterizations from episode to episode depending on what they needed the characters to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So far in SG-1 the main inconsistency I get is O'Neill sometimes is able to inherently understand a complicated situation pretty fast, but sometimes he's real boneheaded when the situation seems really obvious to me, the audience.