Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

i don't have a tv and i'm not paying your loving license fee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

I legitimately had a great time with Trump Doom - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR8QSJ1shO8

For what was supposed to be a low effort shitpost its clear a LOT of work went into it. Big build engine vibes throughout with surprisingly strong level design.

the biggest no click zone i've ever seen

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

charming man flirting in the office: thatcher's tech base
creepy fat guy getting reported to hr: trump doom mod, christian boomer shooters

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Narcissus1916 posted:

I legitimately had a great time with Trump Doom - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR8QSJ1shO8

For what was supposed to be a low effort shitpost its clear a LOT of work went into it. Big build engine vibes throughout with surprisingly strong level design.

I kinda feel bad that they tied their cool levels and clever design ethos to such a dour theme. Yeah it's satire but this limits the audience to people who aren't exhausted by current events. I don't wanna see that face any more than I have to.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abmiv22Q7xA

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Gaspy Conana posted:

I kinda feel bad that they tied their cool levels and clever design ethos to such a dour theme. Yeah it's satire but this limits the audience to people who aren't exhausted by current events. I don't wanna see that face any more than I have to.

The Ultrakill one was really funny too

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What was the fate of UT4 again? The wikipedia article is cheerfully optimistic followed by 'and then it died'.

It was being half-assed with no budget and mostly community contributions, then... never finished? Never released? I kept hearing about it up until I heard that it was cancelled. Was it epic store only?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I played some nu-UT game about a year and change ago on epic games and it seemed alright but my comp was clearly not up for it. Didn't like the arc of the flak cannon but I feel they've been nerfing that since 2k4 (3?). Then it disappeared when they murdered the series entire. Mind you, it still took up space on my hard drive, I just couldn't play it. I remember it being a bear to uninstall too but that might just me being poo poo with computers and hating epic games

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Serephina posted:

What was the fate of UT4 again? The wikipedia article is cheerfully optimistic followed by 'and then it died'.

It was being half-assed with no budget and mostly community contributions, then... never finished? Never released? I kept hearing about it up until I heard that it was cancelled. Was it epic store only?
It was only on the Epic client (before there was a store!) and was primarily developed by a skeleton crew hoping the community would do most of the grunt work as a way of promoting Unreal Engine 4. Then that same skeleton crew used the assets from another game by Epic, a recently-released co-op base-building game called Fortnite, to prototype up a PUBG clone. The rest, as they say, is history.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

The Kins posted:

It was only on the Epic client (before there was a store!) and was primarily developed by a skeleton crew hoping the community would do most of the grunt work as a way of promoting Unreal Engine 4. Then that same skeleton crew used the assets from another game by Epic, a recently-released co-op base-building game called Fortnite, to prototype up a PUBG clone. The rest, as they say, is history.

Haha yeah, I was following that weirdo UT4 development pretty closely because at the time it seemed like a pretty cool & unique concept*. They had regular a regular video series they would put out highlighting the work the internal team was doing, and also the work that community members put in. They also tried to angle it as a "Well we know people didn't like UT3, so this is your chance to steer how you want UT4 to play."

*Obviously hindsight being 20/20 this was not nearly cool as it seemed, having knowledge of how developers would go on to exploit models like this for massive profit (roblox) but in late 2014 it seemed cool

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I mean, sure, that fortnite went huge, but UT4 using some shared assets is no reason to axe the project - just keep not giving them money and have the fans do the work? I guess I'm just a few years behind the curve on the whole 'gently caress you Epic why can't I buy UT anymore?' thing people kept saying.

If it's very officially abandonware I guess its ok to ask if there's any site that has a filez version with an altered central server? I'd like some UT again in my life.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm pretty sure the oldunreal patch modifies the game to use the community master server, along with all its other fixes

https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTournamentPatches/releases

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
UT4 was cool for the few months that it had more than 20 players. RIP.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

An Actual Princess posted:

the biggest no click zone i've ever seen

lol

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Never played UT2K4 and now I’m loving pissed at Epic again that I can’t just jump onto Steam and buy it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Bumhead posted:

Never played UT2K4 and now I’m loving pissed at Epic again that I can’t just jump onto Steam and buy it.

Just buy it from their own sto-- NUH-UH.

They even pulled it from GOG. Just taking an enormous steaming pile of poo poo on their own legacy.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
They're real trendsetters, I think they started deleting their legacy before David Zaslav did.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

They even pulled it from GOG. Just taking an enormous steaming pile of poo poo on their own legacy.

I wonder if there was some licensing issue. Even if they didn't care at all for their legacy, why bother retiring from GOG? -Inaction- would be the normal stance if you don't care for the old games.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mierenneuker posted:

Like nolf and tribes and avp2 the community has apparently gone ahead and set up dl links on archive for players

https://ut2004serverlist.com/

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Haha yeah, I was following that weirdo UT4 development pretty closely because at the time it seemed like a pretty cool & unique concept*.

*Obviously hindsight being 20/20 this was not nearly cool as it seemed, having knowledge of how developers would go on to exploit models like this for massive profit (roblox) but in late 2014 it seemed cool

I dunno, to me it comes off as a slight variation of Valve's style.

Though truthfully I'm not sure to what degree Valve's version was exploitative (I know plenty of people got rightfully compensated for their work) but it still always rubbed me the wrong way.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Turin Turambar posted:

I wonder if there was some licensing issue. Even if they didn't care at all for their legacy, why bother retiring from GOG? -Inaction- would be the normal stance if you don't care for the old games.

I'm probably misremembering, but I thought they were spooked by some lawsuit about Fortnite not having enough safeguards to protect kids on their hosted servers, so they figured having any server browsers whatsoever wasn't worth the trouble.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
They shut down everything that wasn't using their modern Epic Online Services system, including things like Rock Band 2. Read into that as you will.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Man, I really appreciate Gabe's attitude of "just bring games to people" vs whatever the gently caress Tim Sweeney's deal is.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I finally completed Turbo Overkill on 'Street Cleaner' difficulty after retrying the final boss about 35 times. Anyone know where I can get some new reflexes? I think these ones are worn out :ohdear:

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Man, I really appreciate Gabe's attitude of "just bring games to people" vs whatever the gently caress Tim Sweeney's deal is.

Valve: “Here’s a free update and a documentary to celebrate 25 years of our seminal release”

Tim: “Wanna play Unreal? gently caress off”

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Sure am glad I bought Unreal on GOG ages ago....

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Tim Sweeney's deal is "Money? Money? MONEY!"

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bumhead posted:

Well, since Epic are assholes you may be able to find the GOG installer from someone who may want to share it :wink:throw a PM if you want it:wink: because it's abandonware at this point, same for the whole Unreal franchise *COUGH*

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

Well so is valves, they just got there first to the storefront biz.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

In Training posted:

Well so is valves, they just got there first to the storefront biz.

Yeah but they seem to have gone "we have all the money now, what should we do with it" whereas Sweeney/Epic went in with Tencent and are trapped on the infinite growth to appease the shareholders treadmill. Epic will literally never have enough money.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Epic are privately owned and Tim Sweeney is majority owner, they aren't on the infinite growth bandwagon if they don't want to be.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Tim Sweeney got too many noogies in junior high and now everything he does is informed by that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Fil5000 posted:

I mean, this is clearly not entirely true or they'd still be up for sale

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

UT2004 is up there as one of my fondest multiplayer experiences, mostly in Onslaught and VCTF cause I loved the vehicles they added.

Kids these days will never know the agony of installing games that came on 6+ discs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qIP92sKsOk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYEZ_tXAoEU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Deakul posted:

Kids these days will never know the agony of installing games that came on 6+ discs.
One of my discs always gave me an error until I took it out of the PC, wiped it with a tissue, and put it back in. Even when fresh out of the box for the first time.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Deakul posted:

UT2004 is up there as one of my fondest multiplayer experiences, mostly in Onslaught and VCTF cause I loved the vehicles they added.

I think UT2k4 was one of the first times I remember vehicles feeling good in an FPS.

*I didn't play games like Halo on console

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Some stuff in ut2k4 holds up really well, the basic movement and weapon feel is pretty universally great, the maps are a mixed bag but often solid, but a lot of the single player and bot stuff is weak. The team management stuff is very dumb and not fun, and I think bots (I forget if online voice commands are a thing) have a tendency to yell dumb poo poo like "eat it bitch" all the time.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Deakul posted:

I got the DVD version :smug:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
My problem with the Unreal games getting delisted is simply that I can't understand why it's happened. With other games, it's licensing of some sort (eg Chronicles of Riddick being an existing IP meaning it has a limited shelf life, and it's kinda hard to repurpose the game without that licence), but unless there's some absurd royalties agreement with someone, I just don't get why the Unreal games need to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Convex posted:

My problem with the Unreal games getting delisted is simply that I can't understand why it's happened. With other games, it's licensing of some sort (eg Chronicles of Riddick being an existing IP meaning it has a limited shelf life, and it's kinda hard to repurpose the game without that licence), but unless there's some absurd royalties agreement with someone, I just don't get why the Unreal games need to go.
My unfounded guess is that Tim Sweeney thinks that they dilute the Unreal brand and memory-holing them will somehow help Unreal Engine's prospects outside the video game space

Or it could just some internal poo poo that only makes sense if you know everything there is to know about what goes on inside Epic