Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
one of those cases where the best option isn't a super funny one I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Nick might have been able to salvage his attempt if he'd thought to empty some/all of the water out of his bottle and then return it into the sock sheath.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

On the day I probably wouldn't have thought of the exploit we're talking about. My cleverest thought was to use the toffees to make a little shelf to rest the thing on to help support it while I stuck it on with probably bluetack and the velcro tape. I remember those toffees turning quite hard and sticking to things themselves pretty well, but not necessarily good at sticking things to other things.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Steve on the podcast says a few hours later it occurred to him to move the whiteboard to the floor and stands on it.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I'm vaguely disappointed that nobody tried to take the whiteboard off the wall and put it on the floor :v:

Pablo Bluth posted:

Steve on the podcast says a few hours later it occurred to him to move the whiteboard to the floor and stands on it.

That was my first thought as well. Nothing in the task said it had to be hung on the wall, just stuck to the board. Run straight to the board and see if you can dislodge it within the two "selection" minutes, and if you can get it on the floor go haul the heaviest thing you can out of the shed and set it on top with a bit of something sticky under it. Otherwise plan B is doing it "properly" if Alex has prepared for that eventuality and the board is mega-bolted to the wall or something.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I liked that terrible haiku. The calculator really limits the selection of words you can use even further.

eke out posted:

yeah steve taking the rare strategy of "actually seriously try to win every prize task"

In general, Steve seems to be calmly scoring four or fives on almost every task. Wonder if it will last.

Undead Hippo posted:

The first five series had them- with a peak in season 5 with almost every contestant having something. After that, they've been very rare. Mike Wozniak's season 11 farting task is the only really invididual task- everything else has been asymmetric rather than individual.

I guess there used to be more of them. Maybe AU's/NZ's will peter out too.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
stuff like the 'sabotage your team' that NZ did and then UK later gave to john kearns is good. more of that

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Take whiteboard off the wall, put on some blue tack, lay it down on the ground outside, claim Planet Earth.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

My Lovely Horse posted:

Take whiteboard off the wall, put on some blue tack, lay it down on the ground outside, claim Planet Earth.

50/50 Alex doesn't just weigh the lawn underneath instead.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
I'd love to see another task like the one in Season 4 where the teams have conflicting objectives. Maybe something like:

As a team, fill the bath in the garden with the most beanbags between the first and second whistle
(Red/Blue/Green/Yellow) beanbags count against your total.
You must stay on your spot at all times, and you must not speak while outside.

Combined, the two/three versions of the task reveal that all four colours of beanbag count against the score and the maximum score of zero is achieved by having nothing in the bath. If only the contestants were not isolated while reading their copy of the task...

Litter pickers would be provided to gather the bean bags from the lawn without leaving the spots. And once a contestant figures out their teammates are throwing the wrong colours in, they double as a means of removing the beanbags from the bath. Alex can blow the second whistle early if a team manages to silently communicate that all colours of beanbag are forbidden and emptied the bath.

Heavy_D fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 5, 2024

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Heavy_D posted:

Nick might have been able to salvage his attempt if he'd thought to empty some/all of the water out of his bottle and then return it into the sock sheath.

I assumed that was why he picked the water bottle in the first place! I thought his thinking was to take advantage of the variable weight to avoid the trap John fell into of committing to something way too heavy and being stuck with an impossible task. Instead he just kind of had a little meltdown.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I take back not liking Steve. His calculator prize task was fantastic and he was absolutely great the whole episode

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Wungus posted:

I take back not liking Steve. His calculator prize task was fantastic and he was absolutely great the whole episode
I liked the way he tried to prop up Sophie's prize task right after as well (tough row to hoe, that).

Also was pleased to see John Kearn's magic lamp appearing on the set, fits well with the Victorian decor (watch behind Steve during the pancakes film).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Steve seems to be going for that rare combination of competent, clever and entertaining. The only one currently at risk of falling into the Herring/Martin trap is John.

Heavy_D posted:

I'd love to see another task like the one in Season 4 where the teams have conflicting objectives. Maybe something like:

I want to see more saboteur team tasks. I'm still a bit gutted that John Kearns only got that once rather than for every single task.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

itry posted:

I liked that terrible haiku. The calculator really limits the selection of words you can use even further.

I hate haiku since
most haiku you find are just
counting syllables.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The modern haiku has ruined the traditional haiku by getting rid of the "topic: nature" requirement.

It's like making a limerick that isn't about a disgusting sexual act.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Maybe this instead:

Boobies Boobies Boob
Boobies Boobies Boobies Boob
Boobies Boobies Boobs

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is pancakes different in the UK, that looked pretty piss poor for a pancake. very flat and more crepe , just a simple custard and flour.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Pancakes = crepes in ye olden worldy lands. Baking powder was invented in america

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Yeah, thin crepe-like pancakes are the way pancakes are/were everywhere except the USA.

Though that pancake batter looked a bit off.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

stev posted:

Steve seems to be going for that rare combination of competent, clever and entertaining. The only one currently at risk of falling into the Herring/Martin trap is John.

John's tryhard-ness just feels different to me tbh; his open nearly freaking out over how the done test went was really funny imo

i think i need outlines drawn to clarify the robot-crab loving for me though; i came close to seeing it once and then i blinked and lost it lol

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
One thing I've enjoyed about this show is basically the opposite of the standard failure and humiliation. Hopefully at least once a season, typically each contestant gets to be the one that impresses where they figure it out quickly or are just naturally adept at it. Even incredibly simple things like Desiree chugging or Angela on NZ with the typing task add some variance to it which is nice.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Phigs posted:

Yeah, thin crepe-like pancakes are the way pancakes are/were everywhere except the USA.

Though that pancake batter looked a bit off.

The guy who was whisking it had a green gimp mask on at the time, to be fair.

Edit:

neongrey posted:

i think i need outlines drawn to clarify the robot-crab loving for me though; i came close to seeing it once and then i blinked and lost it lol

itry fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 6, 2024

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Many countries have thick pancakes, also some of them are baked in oven.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

That's fine, as long as they're also using a pan.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

itry posted:

The guy who was whisking it had a green gimp mask on at the time, to be fair.

Edit:

Is it the same logo that’s supposed to look like Batman going down on someone or something or was that something else because i can’t see it now.

E: no that’s an upside down red dog beer logo apparently lol

Annabel Pee fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 6, 2024

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Heavy_D posted:

I liked the way he tried to prop up Sophie's prize task right after as well (tough row to hoe, that).

I think the problem with her entry was that Greg obviously doesn't know what a pudding is, because he called it a pie. Probably because they're a very regional food.
A pudding isn't made from pastry, but suet and you cook it by steaming it and then turning it over to remove the foil. Then you devour it because they're loving tasty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_and_kidney_pudding

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Ah, now it makes sense. I was wondering why anyone would think turning a pie upside down was a fun thing.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
John and Joanne's prizes were dreadful, just reheated Twitter posts. I hate John, he is a total tryhard who binged the whole show in two weeks before going on, not funny and cried about his fancy replica jacket on the podcast.

Joanne is still on the bubble for me, at least she's generally funny but that Musk line was really lame. Glad Greg called it out at least (thanks Dr CA), even if it didn't make the edit.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

not a bot posted:

Many countries have thick pancakes, also some of them are baked in oven.

None of those are known as the default form of pancake though, but custom versions

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Oh there we go, thank you

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
they made him reintroduce his item without swearing so I was surprised when the gently caress came out. maybe its to be used for the pre-watershed version

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

stev posted:

I want to see more saboteur team tasks. I'm still a bit gutted that John Kearns only got that once rather than for every single task.

I wonder if there's a way to come up with a secret task for the team day that isn't explicitly an instruction to sabotage, but could have a similar effect. Like setting someone paired with a contestant "Jerry" who is renowned for swearing like a trooper:
During the team tasks, make Jerry laugh
If you make Jerry laugh more often than he swears during a task, you gain two points
If Jerry swears more often you make him laugh, you lose two points

I think it would be harder than it sounds, goofing off in the middle of the task could easily lead to gently caress-ups, which leads to "fucks" uttered, it's a downwards spiral.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

stev posted:

If you've not seen the Taskmaster Minnesota (and you should) - you really need to see Season 2, Episode 3 - "Hogjob Emporium" which has the best task with sabotage in and should definitely be used by Alex Horne.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

itry posted:

50/50 Alex doesn't just weigh the lawn underneath instead.

In the norwegian version one task was to make the biggest hat. One contestant stood upside down claimed planet Earth as his hat. Five points.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Alhazred posted:

In the norwegian version one task was to make the biggest hat. One contestant stood upside down claimed planet Earth as his hat. Five points.

Creative, but I feel like in the UK version they'd get disqualified because they didn't actually make the hat. In the AU/NZ versions too probably.
Edit: Unless it really pissed off another contestant, in which case Greg might give it 5 points just for a laugh.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
As someone who bemoans the half arsed prize task effort that plagues UKTM, compared to say Kongen Befaler, I appreciate the effort that Pemberton is putting in.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

The Danish version of TM is currently screening a "One last chance" mini-series, bringing back contestants who lost their series, and it's one of their best efforts. The second episode has made me glad we see repeat tasks around the world, because they've taken two S12 tasks that didn't reach their full potential, and shown how good they can be with another roll of the dice. The paper aeroplane live task was genuinely exciting given some contestants with ability enough to improve their starting score. And the "Spread something on this bread in a really cool way" (localised to liver pâté on rye) task had me laughing so hard at all five attempts.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

The Danish version of TM is currently screening a "One last chance" mini-series, bringing back contestants who lost their series, and it's one of their best efforts. The second episode has made me glad we see repeat tasks around the world, because they've taken two S12 tasks that didn't reach their full potential, and shown how good they can be with another roll of the dice. The paper aeroplane live task was genuinely exciting given some contestants with ability enough to improve their starting score. And the "Spread something on this bread in a really cool way" (localised to liver pâté on rye) task had me laughing so hard at all five attempts.

I would love a whole season with past sore losers where Alex sets 90% of the early tasks fully straight up, no tricks, no hidden messages, etc, but Alex never confirms they’ve completed the task. The contestants have to self mark as complete.

And just watch them go loving bonkers trying to find the trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I would love a whole season with past sore losers where Alex sets 90% of the early tasks fully straight up, no tricks, no hidden messages, etc, but Alex never confirms they’ve completed the task. The contestants have to self mark as complete.

And just watch them go loving bonkers trying to find the trick.

The first task in "One last chance" was borrowed from Kongen Befaler, and all the task required was for contestants to move the bead on the table into the glass on the table (the task does caution that "you have one attempt"). As a mid-series task in the regular show, it works OK, but it requires quite a bit too much buy-in from both the contestants and the audience; the former might not know the show well enough to agonise over the double bluff, while the audience have to quickly see through that double bluff to enjoy it properly. But when you set it as the first task on a special, where all the contestants have been through a whole series, and were specifically chosen because they were bad at it the first time, it elevates it magnificently.