Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jack B Nimble posted:

Here's an exercise: what is every support weapon's worst quality?

Machine Gun: Can't handle heavier enemies and the reload is probably the worst of any weapon. You could have just shot those little bugs with literally anything.

Stalwart: Is it a support weapon or just a bigger rifle? The same target problems as the machine gun but also you'll always be on the lookout for more ammo.

Grenade Launcher: you're still not actually carrying something that dunks on the heaviest units and unlike other explosive support weapons you WILL spam this thing to the point that you kill yourself or someone else.

Anti Material Rifle: Too small to shoot the big enemies, too big to shoot the small enemies. 90% of what you killed, you could have just used your primary.

EATS: When you need this the most is exactly when the call down will be jammed, or a tide of enemies will materialize and interpose themselves between you and the drop pod.

Recoilless Rocket: You've put all the EATs you would have called down onto your back, so now you can lose them in the initial hot drop.

Quasar: Thanks to infinite ammo, you've got steady access to a luke warm trickle of firepower.

Auto Cannon: The perfect weapon, as long as you only compare it to other support weapons and not it's actual cost, which is another support weapon and a back slot.

Break Action Shotgun: You picked this up because it's the first hour of the game and you don't know what you're doing. You picked it up from a corpse, doesn't that tell you anything??
Stalwart, MG, HMG: These are basically what primaries should feel like but don't, except that 2/3 still don't kill what you would want them to kill for the slot. You run out of ammo a lot.

Grenade Launcher: You must trust the game to behave regarding AOE damage if you're not using it on things you can kill with your primaries or closing bug holes/blowing up fabricators. Good luck!

Anti Material Rifle: What if I wanted to kill things from a distance, but nothing I'd actually like to kill from a distance and also not have much ammo?

EATs: Feel extremely cool when you kill a dropship or a bile titan in one shot. Feel far less cool when you do that and have one remaining EAT from your drop for the multiple chargers or hulks coming at you.

Recoilless Rocket: What if I fixed the above problem but traded my backpack slot for it, still didn't have enough ammo, and then died trying to reload it?

Quasar: I can delete one (1) annoying thing every 10-15 or so seconds realistically. Provided I can charge long enough to do so. And not miss.

Auto Cannon: Solves most problems that are polite enough to stay more than 50 feet away at the cost of your backpack slot. Not many problems like to stay more than 50 feet away, and those that do cannot be
killed by it. Annoys you because you must remember to reload every 5 shots lest you be owned by the super long full reload.

Railgun: How about a weapon that's halfway between a primary and a support slot in power now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Spear: a perfect weapon. No notes.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Where's the fire resist armor

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Against bots there is no primary better at killing other stuff than the scorcher.

Smaller bots? Gonna have to disagree there, thats where the scorcher is at its worst, 1 shot or not.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

magiccarpet posted:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

magiccarpet posted:

next week

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So, just in case I encounter any during the ongoing major order, how do you kill factory striders? Are you forced to engage them with dedicated anti-tank weaponry, or do they have medium-armoured weak spots like all other automaton heavies?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Can the grenade launcher kill drop ships? I fired it at one once, saw it crash, and got the 4x kill notification, but I don't think I was the only one shooting, and I might have just hit the cluster of bots it was dropping.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

None of the upcoming warbond armor have fire resist. Just 2 engineering and 1 fortified bonus.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Can the grenade launcher kill drop ships? I fired it at one once, saw it crash, and got the 4x kill notification, but I don't think I was the only one shooting, and I might have just hit the cluster of bots it was dropping.

I know autocannons can bring them down reasonably efficiently if you aim for the engines. Maybe grenade launchers can do that too?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Gin_Rummy posted:

Is deliberate team killing a problem
Rarely, but yes. I've run into it a few times now regularly playing with pubbies, and it spans levels and circumstances. I've mostly had people shoot me because I was trying to pickup 'their' backpack/support weapon despite us being surrounded and punching tickets like crazy. I've thrice had people kill me for taking 'their' samples/creds/medals and you'd think it was just noobs, but no, one of them was level 45; I tried talking to them, the lower levels responded and seemed to get it, the 45 dude never said anything but whatever, he didn't try to TK again and so long as he doesn't lose them, I don't give a poo poo.

I also think one time I accidentally signaled I wanted to gently caress around at extraction time, one of those times where there's 30 seconds and you're on top of a hill and gently caress all nothing is coming and you're just twiddling your thumbs.

I will admit to once killing someone on purpose. They were rushing extraction, they weren't the host, we had plenty of time and tickets, they weren't responding to voice or text chat, we had divers far out enough they wouldn't make it back in time, I could see the pelican touch down and they were running for the ramp and I hit them with an autocannon and let the far out team reinforce him. Grabbed his samples and waited crouched until they were close and dove in, which was the right call because the fucker tried to EAT me.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

So, just in case I encounter any during the ongoing major order, how do you kill factory striders? Are you forced to engage them with dedicated anti-tank weaponry, or do they have medium-armoured weak spots like all other automaton heavies?

I lobbed 2 500kg on one and killed it ok. Someone was talking in chat about shooting its guts with an AC when it produces a devastator which is apparently effective and some of the small guns can be shot too with ACs.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jack B Nimble posted:

Break Action Shotgun: You picked this up because it's the first hour of the game and you don't know what you're doing. You picked it up from a corpse, doesn't that tell you anything??

Yeah but it's fun to unload both barrels directly into faces

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Dyz posted:

Smaller bots? Gonna have to disagree there, thats where the scorcher is at its worst, 1 shot or not.

It can kill smaller bots in one shot as you so expertly pointed out and easily dispatch of anything short of a hulk. It can also kill gunships. It handles extremely well on top of the excellent ability to kill everything you'd want a primary to. What is better?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Zorak of Michigan posted:

No, but hosing down the underside before it drops is just as good as shooting it down

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

darnon posted:

None of the upcoming warbond armor have fire resist. Just 2 engineering and 1 fortified bonus.

Aw, really? I thought for sure the heavy-looking armor with the extra pockets in front would be our first heavy grenade armor.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

I was like WTF, until I remembered I'm maxed out on medals. :smuggo:

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Apple Craft posted:

I was like WTF, until I remembered I'm maxed out on medals. :smuggo:

Clearly my time is worth far more to the government of Super Earth

I was about 50 medals under cap at the time so not sure what's up with this but it's funny.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

cheeseboy58 posted:

Quasars one shot hulks. Devastators.....

it also shoots clear across the map. I can't list the number of cannon towers/etc that I've dumped from outside of their detection range.

How does one use the laser cannon? I was having a "Play with weapons I'm not used to" night last night and decided to try it and the spear. I found the laser to vary wildly from "Boy I like this" to "Holy poo poo this kinda sucks" which was almost entirely dependant on "Can I see it's vents".

We won't talk about the spear. When it worked I liked it. When it didn't was pretty much the other 90% of the run.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Diephoon posted:

This happened to everyone in my group too so I assume everyone got this, I wondered if this wasn't a way to give out the free Malevelon Creek capes

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

It can kill smaller bots in one shot as you so expertly pointed out and easily dispatch of anything short of a hulk. It can also kill gunships. It handles extremely well on top of the excellent ability to kill everything you'd want a primary to. What is better?

Just about any auto gun. Pretty sure I can kill more trash bots with the libpen on single fire in one magazine, in a shorter amount of time. Its overkill for tiny bots and has a small mag on top of that.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Dyz posted:

Just about any auto gun. Pretty sure I can kill more trash bots with the libpen on single fire in one magazine, in a shorter amount of time. Its overkill for tiny bots.

Aim better and why are you worrying about trash bots?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Kinda have to with the libpen on single bro.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Lol you actually use the liberator penetrator.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Diephoon posted:

I was about 50 medals under cap at the time so not sure what's up with this but it's funny.

It's the cape

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

explosivo posted:

This happened to everyone in my group too so I assume everyone got this, I wondered if this wasn't a way to give out the free Malevelon Creek capes

Correct, this was the free cape distribution, which is why it just says "1" with no icon for what you got 1 of since they apparently didn't plan to be handing out gear with that system.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Rhymenoserous posted:

it also shoots clear across the map. I can't list the number of cannon towers/etc that I've dumped from outside of their detection range.

How does one use the laser cannon? I was having a "Play with weapons I'm not used to" night last night and decided to try it and the spear. I found the laser to vary wildly from "Boy I like this" to "Holy poo poo this kinda sucks" which was almost entirely dependant on "Can I see it's vents".

We won't talk about the spear. When it worked I liked it. When it didn't was pretty much the other 90% of the run.

The Laser Cannon is to the AC as the Quasar is to the RR. It kills medium armored bots slower than the AC, but it doesn’t run out of ammo. It does a pretty good job at killing heavy bots as long as you can hit a vent. I think it is easier to kill a hulk head-on with the laser cannon than the AC, but your mileage may vary. No idea how it performs against gunships.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Against bots there is no primary better at killing other stuff than the scorcher.
The scorcher is good because of how it kills striders and sometimes vents.
Otherwise, it is overall worse against raiders than other rifles(minus countersniper/concussive) despite once in a while catching them in splash, and markedly worse against berserkers than breaker/punisher/knight. Which isn't a huge upside, but we're talking about a primary to pair with autocannon here, and autocannon already kills striders fast, kills vents better than scorcher, and splashes bots hanging from a dropship better too.
So why not cut berserkers in half fast with a breaker to not give up any ground, or pop raiders faster+more consistently with bigger magsize and mag capacity than the scorcher by running the diligence?
Everything the scorcher is doing minus those two niches(raider/berzerker killing) is being done better by the autocannon and its huge ammo reserve.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Average experience with fire dots

https://i.imgur.com/FxfTAFI.mp4

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fire damage is just ridiculous now. I'm armoured/clothed head to toe, why does a lick of flame kill me so easily? Line the Helldiver suits with asbestos or something, goddamn.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lobok posted:

Fire damage is just ridiculous now. I'm armoured/clothed head to toe, why does a lick of flame kill me so easily? Line the Helldiver suits with asbestos or something, goddamn.
Survive multiple rockets to the face but running through a patch of flames lower than an average campfire and you're basically dead.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
that's all true but why ever stim first instead of diving

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Lol you actually use the liberator penetrator.

Dyz posted:

Just about any auto gun. Pretty sure I can kill more trash bots with the libpen on single fire in one magazine, in a shorter amount of time. Its overkill for tiny bots and has a small mag on top of that.

Also:

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Aim better and why are you worrying about trash bots?

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Please read all of the poo poo someone writes.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

LazyMaybe posted:

For me it's habit from when I typically had time to stim before dying and I wanted the extra health anyway. Diving is definitely better though.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I personally find the scorcher p good against berserkers. Its ammo efficiency isn't great, but it's killing power is good and that's what's important. Plus berserkers lack a sprint so you don't kill yourself like vs hunters or assault marines

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Scorcher does seem pretty great but as I work towards it I'm continuing to use the sickle and drat I just love that gun. Gotten real good at keeping the crosshairs on something as I move and the aim bobs up and down so it just peppers them full of lasers the whole time.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Average experience with fire dots

https://i.imgur.com/FxfTAFI.mp4

Dive to put the fire out. THEN heal.

EFB: but seriously they teach this poo poo in middle school.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ok, I rarely care about end-game poses as I've only ever used the default salute and the air shotgun one but the new warbond has a chav-style / rap album squat I think I'm gonna main.

LazyMaybe posted:

Does the diving through the air part stop the flame or only when you hit the ground? Ridiculous question but fire kills so fast now it actually matters.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Dyz posted:

Sure, but who cares? Just about everything that’s not a rocket can kill raiders or other light enemies proficiently. I feel like the value of a primary/secondaries/support weapons is more anchored around “what can this do well that is hard to get somewhere else in my kit” or “what is a big threat that this can deal with well?” It’s why I feel like the stalwart is a resounding meh - sure it’s good at mowing down light enemies, but is it so much better at it than a sickle or punisher that it’s worth taking up a stratagem slot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I really like the Sickle but boy do I ever hate its third person crosshair. Let's take a rather precise weapon with no bullet drop and infinite ammo, ideal for weakening up groups from a distance, and then obscure what you're shooting at with a bunch of meaningless random spinning triangles. Brilliant!

Can you turn off the in-game crosshair entirely? I'm tempted to do that and just use the one built into my monitor.