Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ciaphas cain, every other book, about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
IIRC Space Marines have been intimate with women

IIRC but also its canon that they smell terrible

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Willatron posted:

I really love WH40k lore. The books, video games, some of the animated shows from Warhammer TV I've seen, all really excellent fun stuff I really dig. I'm super pumped to see how the Amazon cinematic stuff Cavill is working on turns out.

I have tried and simply cannot get into the tabletop aspect that birthed the whole franchise because inevitably I will encounter the people who are loving weirdos or assholes about it and I can go without. Also tabletop games are kind of boring to me.

That's pretty much where I am, minus watching any of that stuff you mentioned. The setting is cool but everything surrounding it seems terrible. I couldn't imagine going into a game store and playing this and I'm a fairly social person. I'm not adverse to nerd poo poo either, I've had friends who were into Magic: The Gathering but they had thousands of cards and we always did draft games so there was no barrier to entry and they were very chill. I love the total warhammer games though. Hopefully they'll put out a 40k one eventually, it's rumored to be in the works.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 5, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

In any of the 40k lore, any of the books or whatever, does anyone ever cuddle another character? Maybe a tender smooch?

There are romances in 40k fiction, I think the subplot in the Night Lords trilogy about the navigator and the serf is the biggest example. As for physical intimacy like that, that’s rarer. There’s a lesbian couple in the Thousand Son related Horus Heresy novels and I think a scene starts with them in bed together and there might be a couple other references to them touching each other affectionately.

Beyond that nothing springs to mind.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gripweed posted:

Yeah the Fantasy model range was half their product range but allegedly was about 10% of their sales.

And they've just recently brought back Fantasy as The Old World, in all it's generic glory. But with a lower level of support, basically treating it as a niche game for super nerds.

I think the problem is that Fantasy wasn't selling well simply because GW had been neglecting it for years at that point, barely advertising it or releasing anything new compared to 40k. Age of Sigmar at least got an actual marketing push, but the sales it got were very clearly in spite of its setting stuff, not because of. They didn't gain anything at all from burning the Fantasy setting to the ground and changing all the names to dumber ones. Especially given they clearly just wanted to turn it into another 40k complete with its own Emperor and Space Marines.

Also probably significant that Sigmar was one of the last things GW did before they had a change of CEO and basically shook up their entire business model to actually try to make poo poo people liked and market it.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

In any of the 40k lore, any of the books or whatever, does anyone ever cuddle another character? Maybe a tender smooch?

In Warboss by Mike brooks, the blood axe orks have a pet human in a cage in the back of a killa kan that they care for slightly better than a grot.

naem
May 29, 2011

the chaos goddess Slaneesh could be described as, affectionate

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Disco Pope posted:

My last hurrah for Warhammer is when I got invited over to a guy from Schools house to play but they hid my bully in a cupboard and they beat the poo poo out of me and threw my skavens in the river.

Seriously?

Disco Pope posted:

I got banned temporarily from my local GW because the manager was a STEMlord and I asked him what the hottest part of The Sun was, and when he responded with science poo poo I told him he was wrong and it was Page 3.

It took me looking up what a STEMlord is, but I got it. What a humourless prick.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Cornwind Evil posted:

Seriously?

It took me looking up what a STEMlord is, but I got it. What a humourless prick.

Yeah, seriously. It was one of those weird, liminal adolescent experiences where I maybe wasn't as upset as I should have been, because we all hung out after and our relationship improved. It's hard to explain - the ages of 11-13 are incredibly weird. I wasn't really as involved anywhere near as much and my high-value models stayed at home anyway.

To be fair to the manager, he did laugh at the joke, it was a very temporary ban and when I was allowed back he remembered the joke and laughed again.

The only other good Warhammer story I have is when I went to Games Day (where I got the rulebook signed) and the guy in front of me in the entry queue cycled through bad smells - like he smelt like poo poo, then puke, then piss, then body odour and then back to poo poo.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 5, 2024

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I saw two teenagers get in a fight over 2nd edition 40k , like a physical fight and one of them kick flipped the other and then did a kip up. Also the owner of the store tried to give one of them a switchblade to use in the fight.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Gripweed posted:

Humans have lived there for a long time, they just haven't had much model representation until recently. Basically, there was a time when all the non-Chaos god worked together and they recreated their mortal followers to live in the Mortal Realms and everything was basically OK. This was the Age of Myth. Then Chaos came raring back, the Age of Chaos started, and the mortal followers of the other gods either died, switched to Chaos, hid where they could, or fled to the Realm of Heaven, Azyr, the last stronghold of Order. Then Sigmar invented the Stormcast Eternals to be his ultimate warriors to lead a reconguista of the Mortal Realms. In their wake came crusades of mortals from Azyr who set up new cities in the Realms. This is the titular Age of Sigmar.

The problem is there isn't a really good on ramp. I'd say the best AoS novel I've read is Gloomspite. It's a fun little fantasy horror story and does a great job selling the Bad Moon as this absolute nightmare thing you don't ever want to see rise over your home. The other AoS novels I've read fall on the spectrum from bad to OK.

Honestly the best AoS thing I've read was the Sons of Behemat Battletome. Sons of Behemat being the giants, and Battletome being what AoS calls Codexes. Like in normal Codexes it gives you an overview of the guys and a history of notable military campaigns, but because it's giants it reads like a collection of fables. Notable military campaigns for the Sons of Behemat are typically stuff like, a giant slept in the way of an army and they woke him up and they had a big fight, or two giants got into an argument about who could throw further and in demonstrating their throwing abilities destroyed a human city one throwable building at a time.

There's no really great onramp, no AoS equivalent of Eisenhorn or Gaunt's Ghosts. But if you're interested definitely give Gloomspite a chance. And maybe Court of the Blind King if you are into elves who suck.

thanks. ill give it a shot when a good game comes out or good on ramp happens.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Disco Pope posted:

I got banned temporarily from my local GW because the manager was a STEMlord and I asked him what the hottest part of The Sun was, and when he responded with science poo poo I told him he was wrong and it was Page 3.

Can someone explain this one for me?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
like, the newspaper w titties

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Vampire Panties posted:

IIRC Space Marines have been intimate with women

IIRC but also its canon that they smell terrible

quote:

Keeler sighed and looked up from her work. ‘The what?’

‘The sweat, dear Euphrati, the sweat! I have been observing the Astartes. Very big, aren’t they? I mean to say, very big in every measurement by which one might quantify a man.’ ‘They’re Astartes, Ignace. What did you expect?’ ‘Not sweat, that’s what. Not such a rank, pervasive reek. They are our immortal champions, after all. I expected them to smell rather better. Fragrant, like young gods.’ ‘Ignace, I have no clue how you got certified.’ Karkasy grinned. ‘Because of the beauty of my lyric, my dear, because of my mastery of words. Although that might be found wanting here. How may I begin…?

‘The Astartes save us from the brink, the brink,

But oh my life how they stink, they stink.’

They've been stinking for at least 10000 years.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

like, the newspaper w titties

:dafuq:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_3

this was how murdoch got the sun to be one of the preeminent british newspapers, so still about fascism, regrettably

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

The Sun is a British newspaper. Page 3 used to showcase models.

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

I wish the 40K lore was as deep as Elden Rings’s, maybe they can phone up from software?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The setting is shockingly sexless beyond a handful of hookups.

I had an ex that asked me to explain 40k lore and when I got to the part where The Emperor decided to clone himself twenty times I mentioned that it's a weird impulse. She quipped, "No, it's a way to tell a story about a family without involving a single woman" and I immediately needed to sit down.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they stuck in erda a fair bit in but yeah, that was kind of an objective

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 5, 2024

naem
May 29, 2011

my 40k group were a bunch of hipstery college students who were playing it semi-ironically at first but who then got way too into it and arguments over the terrible rules helped fracture the friend group

which was a shame because several of them had wealthy-ish parents who had pool tables in the basement and unused pool tables are the perfect army man substrate

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theres also a bit by malcador the sigilite about how he was tellin the emperor the primarchs should have been women and he didnt listen

there is a lotta baked in and intended homoeroticism. receive your battle brother's geneseed, indeedy

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

naem posted:

my 40k group were a bunch of hipstery college students who were playing it semi-ironically at first but who then got way too into it and arguments over the terrible rules helped fracture the friend group

which was a shame because several of them had wealthy-ish parents who had pool tables in the basement and unused pool tables are the perfect army man substrate

Oh man, me and my friends used to use the green blanked stretched over boxes method and it loving sucked - bases getting caught in the bobbles, stuff shifting and hills that had no gradual elevation.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Froghammer posted:

I had an ex that asked me to explain 40k lore and when I got to the part where The Emperor decided to clone himself twenty times I mentioned that it's a weird impulse. She quipped, "No, it's a way to tell a story about a family without involving a single woman" and I immediately needed to sit down.

You didn’t mention Amar Astarte?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they stuck astarte in a few years ago or so, iirc. 40k is old

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Froghammer posted:

Reminds me of an Oglaf comic.

:nws:For a hundred generations, my fathers have kept the bloodline pure. Free from women's taint. :nws:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
its funny that 40k's original women are goth pinups, but all the MANLY MEN take their cumgeneseed from other dead MANLY MEN

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Froghammer posted:

wasn't there a bit in the really old books about how the emperor was like, constantly fuckin', like every planet he went to he was getting it on with the locals, which resulted in dozens if not hundreds of literal emperor's children in the galaxy and then there was some secret society tasked with hunting them all down

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Captain Invictus posted:

wasn't there a bit in the really old books about how the emperor was like, constantly fuckin', like every planet he went to he was getting it on with the locals, which resulted in dozens if not hundreds of literal emperor's children in the galaxy and then there was some secret society tasked with hunting them all down

Yeah there was. This is the origin if I'm remembering right of blanks or people who have no psychic presence or some poo poo.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"star child". blanks have been retconned many times but the longest period was genetic meddling by necrons. i dont think they were ever descendents of the emperor

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Captain Invictus posted:

The Emperor has a Text To Speech Device basically says this is true, but that the Emperor was such a godly being that it seemed like all the women he was with died. I suspect the maker, in trying to make the Emperor more 'personable', had to dance around the concept of 'Yeah he somehow hosed a bunch of women to death, somehow', no details on the exact reasons (Text Emperor says "It was all willing, I never forced myself", but even SO, if they all DIED to his knowledge...) It could be that the act was fine but being exposed to 'raw Emperor' was akin to radiation poisoning or something.

Something that just popped into my head: okay so the Primarchs are his 20 clone sons, Chaos scattered them all over the universe which led to them having the wide range of upbringings that set up the Heresy...did they ever explain HOW they did that? Were all 20 in some sort of nursery and the Chaos gods popped in and gleefully chucked all the infants into random Warp portals before spray painting CHAOS ROOLZ ANATHEMA DROOLZ on the wall and leaving?

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRozBAIbaG4

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Cornwind Evil posted:

The Emperor has a Text To Speech Device basically says this is true, but that the Emperor was such a godly being that it seemed like all the women he was with died. I suspect the maker, in trying to make the Emperor more 'personable', had to dance around the concept of 'Yeah he somehow hosed a bunch of women to death, somehow', no details on the exact reasons (Text Emperor says "It was all willing, I never forced myself", but even SO, if they all DIED to his knowledge...) It could be that the act was fine but being exposed to 'raw Emperor' was akin to radiation poisoning or something.

Something that just popped into my head: okay so the Primarchs are his 20 clone sons, Chaos scattered them all over the universe which led to them having the wide range of upbringings that set up the Heresy...did they ever explain HOW they did that? Were all 20 in some sort of nursery and the Chaos gods popped in and gleefully chucked all the infants into random Warp portals before spray painting CHAOS ROOLZ ANATHEMA DROOLZ on the wall and leaving?

is TTS canon? I thought it was just a fandom thing

also OG 40k had that exact scenario - Big E went down to the lab to defrost his sons and they were all missing. I think that some of the later books revised/improved on this

EDIT

also i wanna say that the original versions of the Emperor's Children / Starchild thing was women met Big E psychically/in their dreams and then had immaculate births

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 5, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
The First Heretic has a long section on primarchs getting scattered in surprising detail

tldr: possessed word bearers make the gellar shields go boom, gods do the rest

in true warhams fashion, there is a contradictory long treatment in Saturnine where erda turns the gellar shield off and yeets them

and another sort of contradictory take in Valdor

and yet another contradictory take in False Gods

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 5, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Cornwind Evil posted:

So what you're saying is the myth of Semele being incinerated because she asked Zeus to appear in all his glory to her was inspired by the Emperor.

naem
May 29, 2011

picturing a muppet babies nursery of Primarchs

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
WH40K is an awesome setting with just the worst writers.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
dan abnett isnt bad

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Dudes rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ninjoatse.cx posted:

WH40K is an awesome setting with just the worst writers.

writers obey sturgeons law, too. theres no setting which can or has reliably vetted writers for high quality. so its one peep w high quality or sturgeons law just goes and applies