Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

How do you even affect pawn affinity. Does my pawn hate me because of all the times he held out his hand for a high five and the game didn't let me give him one then though I walked right up to him :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Thundarr posted:

How do you even affect pawn affinity. Does my pawn hate me because of all the times he held out his hand for a high five and the game didn't let me give him one then though I walked right up to him :ohdear:

I'll spoil it just in case but these are purely mechanical gameplay spoilers for how pawn affinity works:
Pawns like it when you Small Talk with them, high five them, take them to the hot springs or to the barber (they *really* like being taken to the barber).
Each of these action has a 10 minute cooldown before it can give affinity again, that you can bypass by returning to the main menu.

Pawns only lose affinity if they "die" and have to be re-summoned from the rift.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Man, I love logisticians using up all the herbs I needed for a quest

it is kind of odd that, as the arisen, you're supposed to exercise complete control over pawns but can't keep them from leaving certain inventory items untouched.

you can at least deprioritize combinations that use the player inventory in the options :shrug:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Man, I love logisticians using up all the herbs I needed for a quest

I like my Logistician pawn but I did have to brine her for one singular quest where I needed to deliver some herbs.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if you could tell them to Wait, more than 50 meters away, where you don't have access to their inventory anymore. Maybe it works the other way around too and they won't have access to your inventory either?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You gain pawn affinity by talking to them, giving them high-fives, giving them make-overs, and taking them to the hot springs. However, these are all on cool-downs, I think it's at least ten minutes, so you can't just keep spamming these over and over.
The only way to lose affinity, as far as I know, is to let your pawn fully die and get sent back to the rift, especially if it's as a result of letting the Dragonblight progress to the final stage.

I spent some time a while back getting my main pawn past the 'true love' threshold, but I'm not sure it was worth it, all that changes is that you get a few unique lines, and they occasionally blush/smile slightly creepily as you talk to them:

I'm not sure I like the 'blushing' in this game, it's so over the top that it looks more like a serious medical condition than a sign of affection. I guess it makes sense since they had to make it visually obvious for a whole bunch of different skin types

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Magmarashi posted:

If it doesn't stop, it certainly becomes inconsequential cause I think it's been a few weeks IG of me running around at this point without a single change

Yeah, it stops once you're down to that final beam in seafloor shrine

E: high fiving my pawns is one of the best things in the game, i do it every possible chance i get

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 5, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does post-game have anything interesting besides the core quest that you're doing?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Dragon's Dogma 2 DLC discourse be like

she got filtered

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

"Who would want to walk back and forth over the same roads without any fast travel?!"

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I mean, I still love the game but it’s got plenty of issues that make it hard to recommend. My friend asked me if he should get it and I said not to because it’s still like 7-8/10 for me. I love certain aspects but there are a lot of problems. I dunno, I’m nearly done and just wrapping stuff up but I go from this game is a 10/10 to this game sucks in one play session sometimes.

There is just too much boring combat, too much traveling, exploration is rarely worthwhile but the combat can be 10/10 when fighting a big monster.

What a weird game.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

she got filtered

It's incredibly sad to see it happen

I know "haha youtubers lying for clickbait" and all but Sterling was one of the holdouts against that sort of poo poo for so long. Being intentionally caustic for attention, sure, but not bold faced lying about poo poo. She fell the gently caress off.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Magmarashi posted:

It's incredibly sad to see it happen

I know "haha youtubers lying for clickbait" and all but Sterling was one of the holdouts against that sort of poo poo for so long. Being intentionally caustic for attention, sure, but not bold faced lying about poo poo. She fell the gently caress off.

Not really. I stopped watching them when they blatantly lied in a video about Devil May Cry 5 and Shadow of War.
That's hardly the first time.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Not really. I stopped watching them when they blatantly lied in a video about Devil May Cry 5 and Shadow of War.

Hm, well that sucks

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Jack Trades posted:

Does post-game have anything interesting besides the core quest that you're doing?

I think the boss fights you get from interacting with the three big red laser beams are all completely optional and apparently slow down the rate at which the red fog swallows up the map. Other than the endgame shop Idk if there's anything else but I also didn't explore much because I was worried about time constraints.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

the only catch with that RE4 review is that the microtransactions weren't in the review copy period and were added later, so the review may have been pre-transaction. i dont typically watch reviewer content so i have no idea about anything else

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

I'll spoil it just in case but these are purely mechanical gameplay spoilers for how pawn affinity works:
Pawns like it when you Small Talk with them, high five them, take them to the hot springs or to the barber (they *really* like being taken to the barber).
Each of these action has a 10 minute cooldown before it can give affinity again, that you can bypass by returning to the main menu.

Pawns only lose affinity if they "die" and have to be re-summoned from the rift.

Thanks, kinda figured it would be something like that but didn't realize before that the game actually kept track.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Just finished the game, clocked in 59 hours (at level 59). Liked it a lot!

Ending: My main pawn did not turn back into a human, but I still liked her little speech of my will giving her a will also. Probably should've taken her to the barber more often.

So am I to take it that The Pathfinder was a Dragon but also the Brine, somehow? And now that he's gone, the water is back to normal in this world?

I love that I ran out of wakestones during the last portal dragon fight, died and got the bad ending of ... me waking up in that same world? Did it imply that I became the crazy hermit who failed at his task?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

TeaJay posted:

Ending: My main pawn did not turn back into a human, but I still liked her little speech of my will giving her a will also. Probably should've taken her to the barber more often.

So am I to take it that The Pathfinder was a Dragon but also the Brine, somehow? And now that he's gone, the water is back to normal in this world?

I love that I ran out of wakestones during the last portal dragon fight, died and got the bad ending of ... me waking up in that same world? Did it imply that I became the crazy hermit who failed at his task?

The Brine seems to be another tool that the Pathfinder was using to enforce the cycle, in the same way that failed Arisen in DD1 became dragons to continue that game's cycle. The Dragon is the carrot on a stick to get people to want to continue the cycle, by making them into a hero-king. When that doesn't work, The Brine rises into the sky (taking the ocean with it I guess) and becomes the thing that's supposed to force Arisen to continue the cycle. Show them what the world will be without a narrative. Scare them into begging the Pathfinder to return things to how they used to be.

What our player character ultimately does is actually end the cycle. This is why the crazy old man sails out to sea at the end- following up on stuff he may have said to you earlier about how The Brine pushes boats back to shore if they get out too far. It's gone now, and he's finally free to follow his own will and desires.

It's that same world and the people who were living in it, but now unchained from the tyranny of the cycle and the Pathfinder. A real world instead of a story being told.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
What's the deal with the phantom ox cart? People won't shut up about it in town, I finally saw it while leveling trickster and it vanished instantly and I never saw it again.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

TeaJay posted:

Ending chat: Yeah, I'm not clear on the connection of the Pathfinder and the Brine, but it sure seems like the Pathfinder was the cause of it somehow. From what I can gather, the Pathfinder might have been some godlike entity that was just treating that spot of land like his own personal dollhouse and watching reruns of his favorite Arisen vs. The Dragon show unto eternity. Without any other explanation I have to assume the Brine was just a means of control to keep people from escaping dragon hell.

Not sure where the dragonblight/pawn-goopdragon comes in to play here. My impression is that it represents dragon control/influence (I think possibly by Grigor himself?) so they tear up the city during the game. But in the ending, after Grigor has been killed(???) by the godsbane when you go to postgame, I guess your pawn still has some bit of the dragon's will in them, which has become their own? I'm very unclear on that whole deal

Separate main quest, non-ending/postgame spoilers:

I sympathize with the plot to break the cycle of the Arisen, because it's a poo poo system that should be overthrown and replaced. lmfao that Phaesus' genius loving idea was to make his own Arisen-on-a-stick and summon a puny diseased dragon imitation, he was never going to win even if Grigor hadn't shown up.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Nuebot posted:

What's the deal with the phantom ox cart? People won't shut up about it in town, I finally saw it while leveling trickster and it vanished instantly and I never saw it again.

That's the "real" phantom oxcart that doesn't seem to be tied to a quest or anything, just a cool random thing you can find. There's a "fake" phantom oxcart related to a sidequest, that's the one everyone is talking about

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

CharlestonJew posted:

That's the "real" phantom oxcart that doesn't seem to be tied to a quest or anything, just a cool random thing you can find. There's a "fake" phantom oxcart related to a sidequest, that's the one everyone is talking about

Oh, that's cool.

Man I can't wait to be done leveling trickster. It's not awful, but it feels incredibly unengaging. Most fun I've had with it was getting a chimera to hop into a lake and die.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

59 hours to level 59 you say? That's, uh, only about 25 hours faster than me!

In fairness I'm still having fun running around and have, I think, two side quests left to finish up before I move on to the clear "the of the game is this way" quest. Only biffed two quests, both of them by killing something too fast despite attempts to draw it out. (poison guy got hurled into the sea for that). If there's anything I missed it must have been pretty esoteric or tightly time gated.

Just walking around enjoying the scenery sure can take up a lot of time.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Sea Lily posted:

The Brine seems to be another tool that the Pathfinder was using to enforce the cycle, in the same way that failed Arisen in DD1 became dragons to continue that game's cycle. The Dragon is the carrot on a stick to get people to want to continue the cycle, by making them into a hero-king. When that doesn't work, The Brine rises into the sky (taking the ocean with it I guess) and becomes the thing that's supposed to force Arisen to continue the cycle. Show them what the world will be without a narrative. Scare them into begging the Pathfinder to return things to how they used to be.

What our player character ultimately does is actually end the cycle. This is why the crazy old man sails out to sea at the end- following up on stuff he may have said to you earlier about how The Brine pushes boats back to shore if they get out too far. It's gone now, and he's finally free to follow his own will and desires.

It's that same world and the people who were living in it, but now unchained from the tyranny of the cycle and the Pathfinder. A real world instead of a story being told.

(end spoilers)

I disagree that the unmooring was meant to be a stick to make you stick to the cycle, rather it was the result of attempting to abandon the cycle. The Pathfinder seems to be a step beyond the seneschal (something you won't really know about unless you've played DD1). We see Rothais is some kind of failed seneschal who found out there was a higher power than him, and the Pathfinder is either that higher power or at least a minion of it. When you refuse to play your part in its version of the cycle, it basically has a tantrum and goes "fine, see what the world is like without a cycle! it'll get swallowed up by oblivion!" (which is what happened to worlds before the cycle was created — they eventually fell back into oblivion. the Great Will didn't like this and created the dragon & arisen which helped stave it off)

The Brine seems to sort of be its own entity we don't know much about. One theory I read suggests that it's a way to box in the livable world (I mean, mechanically it's to box you in and not implement swimming, but in terms of basically staging the play that the dragons dogma happens in, forcing everyone to play their part so that the world can keep spinning and not get swallowed up). Talos is there to smack things that go off course though which suggests the Brine is working in tandem with the cycle. It draining into the sky when you break the cycle bears some thought.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Clocks posted:

(end spoilers)

I disagree that the unmooring was meant to be a stick to make you stick to the cycle, rather it was the result of attempting to abandon the cycle. The Pathfinder seems to be a step beyond the seneschal (something you won't really know about unless you've played DD1). We see Rothais is some kind of failed seneschal who found out there was a higher power than him, and the Pathfinder is either that higher power or at least a minion of it. When you refuse to play your part in its version of the cycle, it basically has a tantrum and goes "fine, see what the world is like without a cycle! it'll get swallowed up by oblivion!" (which is what happened to worlds before the cycle was created — they eventually fell back into oblivion. the Great Will didn't like this and created the dragon & arisen which helped stave it off)

The Brine seems to sort of be its own entity we don't know much about. One theory I read suggests that it's a way to box in the livable world (I mean, mechanically it's to box you in and not implement swimming, but in terms of basically staging the play that the dragons dogma happens in, forcing everyone to play their part so that the world can keep spinning and not get swallowed up). Talos is there to smack things that go off course though which suggests the Brine is working in tandem with the cycle. It draining into the sky when you break the cycle bears some thought.

Talos is weird because you can have a conversation with the fishermen because he explains that it's a sort of pawn for the Brine to use to punish the Dragon when it becomes excessive, but it's only utilized to (seemingly) try to stomp Phaseus. Why it would do this when his efforts are apparently deeply insufficient even if he isn't outright being manipulated into serving the role of the evil wizard smacked down for hubris.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

One thing I didn't like about the ending was how Raghnall was adventuring with Phaseus despite me throwing him into a chasm during the duel. If you want this NPC to survive for story reasons, don't let me throw him into a bottomless pit (maybe he threw a grappling hook or something)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

what is mystic spearhand supposed to do for defense against big monsters? I was excited for the class but it feels a lot more sluggish and less dodgy than I was expecting. As of rank 5 it has a bunch of obvious ways to gently caress with small enemies but big monsters only get slowed for a short time by the charged R1 and my climbing attack DPS is really low, so fighting them has amounted to a lot of awkwardly stopping attacking early to sprint away from attacks. it’s been taking me about 6x longer without exaggeration to kill them than thief, where I just press my “do a billion damage” button and recovery cancel into a dodge and am also straight up invincible anyway. some interesting class design here.

since unlocking the class I’ve seen 6 or so twinblades, all of which do way less damage than the one I was given as part of learning the class.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Owl Inspector posted:

what is mystic spearhand supposed to do for defense against big monsters? I was excited for the class but it feels a lot more sluggish and less dodgy than I was expecting. As of rank 5 it has a bunch of obvious ways to gently caress with small enemies but big monsters only get slowed for a short time by the charged R1 and my climbing attack DPS is really low, so fighting them has amounted to a lot of awkwardly stopping attacking early to sprint away from attacks. it’s been taking me about 6x longer without exaggeration to kill them than thief, where I just press my “do a billion damage” button and recovery cancel into a dodge and am also straight up invincible anyway. some interesting class design here.

since unlocking the class I’ve seen 6 or so twinblades, all of which do way less damage than the one I was given as part of learning the class.

Uhh...the literal "you're just invincible" ability that you unlock at level 3?

I mean, I think the original intention was for Spearhand to combine the permastun with extreme mobility, to just never be in the path of an attack, but that part doesn't work well, so they just gave him straight up invincibility instead.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 5, 2024

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Mystic Spearhand also has its own version of the invincible counter slash Fighter has, which works very well if near permanent invincibility is too boring for you

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oh word, I’ve been trying the skills I just unlocked second level versions of first so I hadn’t tried that shield yet

I was stuck with the base level class up until rank 5 because I initially took the class out to look for this checkpoint town I’ve heard about, which I did not find, and the path I chose eventually led me across half the world without any vocation guild dudes for days until I arrived in bakbattahl for the first time, so I guess I’m here now. but it has been nice to not feel overleveled anymore.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
That shield for Spearman is so dumb, because it really is just an "invincible forever" button, as long as you remember to keep it up.
I have no idea how it made it past QA

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

That shield for Spearman is so dumb, because it really is just an "invincible forever" button, as long as you remember to keep it up.

yeah its busted as gently caress, i made a point of ditching it from my active skills b/c the game is already not that hard

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

TeaJay posted:

One thing I didn't like about the ending was how Raghnall was adventuring with Phaseus despite me throwing him into a chasm during the duel. If you want this NPC to survive for story reasons, don't let me throw him into a bottomless pit (maybe he threw a grappling hook or something)
Oh don't worry, the pit has a bottom and he's fine, he gets right back up (even if his neck gets horribly broken)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR2SIMQAmPU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Owl Inspector posted:

If you don't want to straight up cheat with the spammable full party damage immunity shield, you can use the basic dash attack to send yourself out of range of attacks and then use it to get back in. It's rather cheap on stamina. Combine with the slow (note: you can charge it while attacking, that's important) at opportune times lets you easily dodge away from attacks and then get back in without losing much actual uptime. The slow can also be used to extend vulnerable windows for hitting an enemy and should basically get spammed.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Mystic Spearhand isn't clicking with me at all so I tried Thief. Holy poo poo this rules.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Spearhand’s other big trick for large monsters is that the dragoon leap will just put you on top of them. You can do this while you’re directly underneath them, so it’s great for big fuckers (like drakes) who will try and be on top of you all the drat time.

E: and yeah comparing anything to Thief is gonna make it feel anemic bc Thief does bonkers damage. I stopped taking helmsplitter because it was turning fights into very short blendathons.

Sixto Lezcano fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 5, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Malaria posted:

I've almost exclusively used goon pawns from the Google doc. But pawns seem more generic in DD2. Other than quest knowledge they all seem to act about the same. I only had one rando pawn act weird. It was a sorcerer who instead of nuking a drake it kept climbing and hitting it.

Same, only strange behavior I can think of is that one homicidal Warrior with the launch ability, and another more recent Warrior who was *really* into breaking boxes.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Owl Inspector posted:

it’s been taking me about 6x longer without exaggeration to kill them than thief, where I just press my “do a billion damage” button and recovery cancel into a dodge and am also straight up invincible anyway. some interesting class design here

Your dps move is the light attack button mashing blade spin, btw. If you want to deal damage to monsters while climbing them, you need to get into a position where you can just stand on them rather than holding on so you can do that ability. The maester skill also works, depending on whether you want something that blows through your stamina incredibly quickly in-game, or something that blows through your stamina incredibly quickly in real life.

Not doing as much damage as Helm Splitter isn't really a negative anyways, really. That thing is busted to the point of completely trivializing the game and being deeply unfun to use as a result (much like the Spearhand shield skill).

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Iunno about you but I like to play the game instead of having to stop to hit a shield spell every 5 seconds, that thing has MISERABLE uptime to be talking it up like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm definitely gonna pick up that one combat rebalance mod when I start my second playthrough. It seems to at least adress the most egregious skills.