Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Leal posted:

People should spend more time reading let's plays and less time reading politics on this website

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'll admit I was lured away by the siren song of YouTube, but I really should get back to reading proper LPs. It was one of the things that finally got me to register an account back in the day, along with thinking Tails Gets Trolled was absolutely hilarious and wanting to keep reading that thread unimpeded by paywalls or filters.

e: wait that thread was from 2012. Alright I made that part up, but LPs really were a big part of SA's appeal when I first made an account

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Let's Play to the polls

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That Little Demon posted:

I had girls send me fanfic models using my in game character of them loving me which was one of the weirdest things I've ever had happen in an MMO :blush:

lol what the hell

I guess when people say ffxiv has the friendliest community of any MMO they're using a different definition of the word friendly...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Arcanuse posted:

GBS, not even once

The internet, not even once.

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024

Fajita Queen posted:

lol what the hell

I guess when people say ffxiv has the friendliest community of any MMO they're using a different definition of the word friendly...

the internet may make you stupid, but it also makes you horny.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Fajita Queen posted:

lol what the hell

they're friendly until you mildly criticise any aspect of the game

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Never played FFXIV but I remember during the launch period when it was a cool thing to hate on it left and right because of Squeenix's sheer laziness in actually making a good game. And now everybody loves it, considering it on par with Warcraft and whatever other MMOs are popular these days. Good times.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Shitenshi posted:

Never played FFXIV but I remember during the launch period when it was a cool thing to hate on it left and right because of Squeenix's sheer laziness in actually making a good game. And now everybody loves it, considering it on par with Warcraft and whatever other MMOs are popular these days. Good times.

everyone still dunks on FFXIV 1.0, even the guy who blew it up and used its remains to make the version of the game people talk about today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmffV4oKZu4&t=266s

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

BisbyWorl posted:

Well, uh, ninegearcrow just got banned and seems to have privated their entire youtube channel in response.

very bizarre behavior over a ban

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I think there are some more interesting ways to spell Trump that we have yet to explore.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

That Little Demon posted:

I had girls send me fanfic models using my in game character of them loving me which was one of the weirdest things I've ever had happen in an MMO :blush:

:randstare: Wild. I've been the center of attention in a couple of MMORPG communities before, but that's... different, to say the least.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Runa posted:

everyone still dunks on FFXIV 1.0, even the guy who blew it up and used its remains to make the version of the game people talk about today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmffV4oKZu4&t=266s

Lol, he didn’t even need to wait for the translation :v:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Quackles posted:

Lol, he didn’t even need to wait for the translation :v:

Adlai Stevenson approves

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ff14's in game community is generally nice or at least harmless. however twitter and the sa forums are very bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the lp fanfic thing i remember most is some guy LPing one of the yugioh games and the dialog had a character say 'drat' and everyone went 'wow, surprised that happened given the 4kids association' and then guy turned out to have been completely making up half the dialog he was 'transcribing' without flagging it as such and then got really mad when people said that was weird

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

drat

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Where's that drat Blue Eyes White Dragon

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Waffleman_ posted:

Where's that drat Blue Eyes White Dragon
With the drat fourth Chaos Emerald!

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Endorph posted:

also the lp fanfic thing i remember most is some guy LPing one of the yugioh games and the dialog had a character say 'drat' and everyone went 'wow, surprised that happened given the 4kids association' and then guy turned out to have been completely making up half the dialog he was 'transcribing' without flagging it as such and then got really mad when people said that was weird

lmfao. greatest forums on earth

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why make up your own dialogue when the dub already has amazing lines?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkBWY5ftJG0

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

FutureFriend posted:

lmfao. greatest forums on earth

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
Things just keep getting weirder around here. Id and crow gone in a flash.

Everyone with more than 10 LPs to their name better be workshopping their swan song.

I personally like a little fanfic in LPs, at least when it comes to giving voice to a generic/silent main character. As long as it is thoughtfully written. You don't have to be the next great writer of the era, but at least put a little effort into trying to match the character/dialogue with the feel of the game.

On the other hand, I also can appreciate people who don't like that. I tried it in my first LP and people were kind of meh on it, so I backed off in future games.

EasilyConfused posted:

Isn't that what a real secret agent would say??? I'm on to you!

Dammnit! Years of work gone to waste. It was the "bulletproof" thing wasn't it? Curse my use of idiomatic phrases.

MythosDragon posted:

Okay but tell me when you do another lp, I enjoy following yours.

Appreciated!

Can't say when I may get back into it. I haven't lost interest in doing another one, but the reason I kind of vanished after Growlanser and left it and Sweet Fuse not archive-ready is because I actually found a small bit of stability in the form of a decent paying job, which is now at the end of its contract and may or may not be renewed. Also I have been unexpectedly saddled with making the call on a fairly important life decision that I thought I had always wanted, but am now inexplicably having massive doubts and stress over.

I'm hosed up in the head, is what I'm saying. So that's a perfect breeding ground for randomly committing to another LP.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 5, 2024

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Wait, what happened to crow now?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
He ate two weeks + ban for making a pretty weird post in the Trumplol thread. Not even a perma, so I'm not sure why people are like "drat RIP him."

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Can't believe he's loving dead.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
I feel like all this talk about fanfics in LPs is the perfect time to reveal a new LP and get some feedback on the way I'm planning to do things. Heavily Modded Skyrim to show off some of the more impressive/insane/batshit crazy mods out there with a (hopefully) cohesive narrative underlying the videos.

Opening Post
First Post
First Mod Showcase
First In-Character Thoughts

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

DoubleNegative posted:

He ate two weeks + ban for making a pretty weird post in the Trumplol thread. Not even a perma, so I'm not sure why people are like "drat RIP him."

He hasn't re-registered and also nuked his youtube channel.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
This is the perfect time for the amputee romhack LPer to make his comeback.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
You heard em Leal, it’s time to make episode 2. :v:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Vichan posted:

This is the perfect time for the amputee romhack LPer to make his comeback.

Don't say that, they'll read it and take it seriously.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Psycho Knight posted:

Everyone with more than 10 LPs to their name better be workshopping their swan song.
no but i'll tell you what, when i get the 1.0 update out for my game, if someone fanfic LPs it and it's clear they've missed the core concept of the writing challenge of the game i'll commit sudoku all over this thread

by which i mean i will post some videos of me solving sudokus while crying

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Psycho Knight posted:

on it!

cant give away too much but it is gonna start with an "H".

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Hentai. Please I hope it’s hentai.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Coolguye posted:

no but i'll tell you what, when i get the 1.0 update out for my game, if someone fanfic LPs it and it's clear they've missed the core concept of the writing challenge of the game i'll commit sudoku all over this thread

brb writing an essay about how Annie is a scathing indictment of modern feminism and Robbie and Frank are the virgin/chad dynamic of modern males.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Coolguye posted:

Can we just skip to that last part? It sounds like a great thread.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Coolguye posted:

Ok but this sounds like a bonus and not a reason to avoid doing so.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
But we've already had an LP of 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors :confused:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fedule posted:

But we've already had an LP of 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors :confused:

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The weirdest fanfic lp I read was a mother 3 lp that started out normal, and then like 10 updates in there was some soliquoy about the pain that Lucas felt upon seeing his town and I just realized this sucked.