Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Khanstant posted:

Ahahaha is that real

its real, and its very odd.

like I loved the movie overall, think its great, but that scene is such a groan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

They spend all their time on Jedis and space politics, but I want to know more about Palpatine's non-Force-powered failson. What was that dude's life like?

His name was Triclops

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ah, nevermind, I no longer wish to know anything about this guy

quote:

Dathan, also known to the Sith Eternal as "the Abomination," was a human male hybrid strandcast genetically engineered by Sith cultists on the planet Exegol in 12 BBY. The Sith cult utilized the template of Darth Sidious—the Dark Lord of the Sith and Emperor of the Galactic Empire—to create cloned vessels for the preservation of his essence. The strandcast who became known as Dathan was a byproduct of the cult's experiments, however he lacked a strong connection to the Force, despite his genetic connection to Sidious, and thus was deemed a failed experiment by his "father." Although Dathan was treated by Sidious with disdain for his powerless nature—being referred to as a "useless creature"—the excellent health he possessed nevertheless made him permitted to live as a means for continuing the Palpatine bloodline.

For his father's neglect, Dathan ultimately rejected him and the ways of the Sith in a similar fashion by escaping from his homeworld, intent on pursuing a life away from the dark side of the Force. He eventually married a woman named Miramir, who gave birth to their daughter Rey in 15 ABY. Unlike Dathan, Rey was strong with the Force, and so was deemed a viable host for her grandfather's essence. Determined to claim his granddaughter at all costs, Sidious sent the assassin Ochi of Bestoon to find and bring Rey to Exegol.

Dathan and his family settled for a time on the planet Jakku, where he and his wife struggled to survive in the desert as junk traders during the New Republic Era. They were kidnapped and impaled by Ochi with a knife in 21 ABY, though not before Dathan and Miramir hid their daughter by leaving her behind with the junk boss named Unkar Plutt. Rey remained hidden on Jakku for several years before discovering her dormant connection to the Force, which in turn led to her path to becoming a Jedi.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

after I watched dune 1 and 2 the other day for the xth time, I thought about the various slightly different models of ornithopter displayed in the film, and had the thought that in an alternate universe, for each and every single one of those thopters, the dune wiki would provide model numbers, serial numbers, nicknames, specifications, manufacturer, names and history of pilots, and whatever tenuous connection to paul atreides existed at all for that particular ship

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

That's dumb.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

That’s the Ornithopter-REFIT you loving moron!

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Wait I thought Reys parents were just some nobodies from nowhere?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

kalel posted:

after I watched dune 1 and 2 the other day for the xth time, I thought about the various slightly different models of ornithopter displayed in the film, and had the thought that in an alternate universe, for each and every single one of those thopters, the dune wiki would provide model numbers, serial numbers, nicknames, specifications, manufacturer, names and history of pilots, and whatever tenuous connection to paul atreides existed at all for that particular ship

ngl I would buy an illustrated cutaway book for the Dunc vehicles/buildings, I love that poo poo

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

PostNouveau posted:

Ah, nevermind, I no longer wish to know anything about this guy

So Palpatine doesn't gently caress? This is very disturbing

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Outpost22 posted:

They were

BECAUSE THEY CHOSE TO BE!!

(JJ Abrams pats himself on the back for successfully killing yet another plot point from the previous film just cuz he doesn’t wanna deal with it)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Outpost22 posted:

Nope turns out she's related to one of the other 7 characters

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Obviously the sequel trilogy should have ended with a Finn-Poe-Rey thruple and the cowards at Disney chickened out

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

The technical term is spit-roast

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Endless Trash posted:

That’s the Ornithopter-REFIT you loving moron!

Look if you're gonna gundam up these variants you need prefixes as well as suffixes.

CAE-13477 Strike 'Thopter Rouge Custom.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Probably poe was a mistake. Everyone in the world loves wedge, but let's face it, that was probably because he was about as minor of a character as he should have been

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Obviously the sequel trilogy should have ended with a Finn-Poe-Rey thruple and the cowards at Disney chickened out

That'd be a three body problem.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There ain't no Dyad in this film!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Florence Pugh stopping mid-loving to make him say the “I am become death” line was so funny

"say the line, bob!"

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

PostNouveau posted:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Did rey even meet poe before the third film? I guess that's not enough to stop anyone from a poemance though

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

Did rey even meet poe before the third film? I guess that's not enough to stop anyone from a poemance though

Daisy Ridley's superpower is to be the one person to appear in a film with oscar isaac and have absolutely zero chemistry with him. Negative, almost. I didn't think it would have been possible!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

priznat posted:

Daisy Ridley's superpower is to be the one person to appear in a film with oscar isaac and have absolutely zero chemistry with him. Negative, almost. I didn't think it would have been possible!

I hate saying this because I'm not one of those shitheads, but Daisy Ridley is not a very good actor, or at least not in that performance.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

I hate saying this because I'm not one of those shitheads, but Daisy Ridley is not a very good actor, or at least not in that performance.

Yah agreed it is nothing about gender or anything like that, she just was not really that great in the role. I felt that Kelly Marie Tran was much better in a weirdly terrible role but no fault of hers.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

To be fair star wars 9 is probably oscar isaac at his least charismatic. Tired sweaty man rambling some insane poo poo about palpatine returning somehow and how he used to deal space drugs, or something

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

To be fair star wars 9 is probably oscar isaac at his least charistmatic. Tired sweaty man rambling some insane poo poo about palpatine returning somehow and how he used to deal drugs, or something

Also the Felicity gal shows up but you have to id her based on her butt since she never takes off the helmet

Analysis: inconclusive

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

6 of the 9 Star Wars movies have been very talented people being trapped by a very incompetent script

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

Gutcruncher posted:

6 of the 9 Star Wars movies have been very talented people being trapped by a very incompetent script

and the other 3 were the prequels

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Cassian of Imola posted:

and the other 3 were the prequels

Nah all 9 have incompetent scripts but the originals are talented people breaking through the incompetent script to make something great, rather than remaining trapped behind it

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Also weren't Rey and Kylo supposed to get together? At least that's what it felt like after Last Jedi.

Earlier I should have mention that I never saw Rise of Skywalker.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

This is definitely the weak link in the thruple, but I think they can power through it based on their mutual connections with Finn.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

dr_rat posted:

Did trinity have much of a charcter in The Matrix? It sort of stopped at bad-rear end love intrest. Fleshed out charcter wasn't really the Matrix's thing.

Nor Star Wars often, so I guess that fits.

Edit: looking at her IMDB seems she's been getting pretty steady work, in i'm assuming non trinity type roles, so I'm sure she'll be glad of an nice big and easy paycheck. Disney is still giving the stars of it it's Star Wars films good pay I hope? With how much the films cost I bloody hope so.

She seemed decent enough in Jessica Jones, though I never finished that season because it just seemed like a bunch of grimdark combined with some really convoluted thing about her mother secretly being a villain or whatever and it was just kind of pointless. It was also after The Defenders which took a lot of the wind out of the sails of the Netflix Marvel stuff.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The only two people to have sex in Star Wars are The Emperor and Ki Adi Mundi

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

She definitely wasn't good enough at the time. I don't get how JJ could have thought hiring a 20 year old with practically zero experience was a good idea to carry movies this big. It's not like mark hamill was great in the original movie either, but in 1977 you can accept that quality standards weren't as high and lucas just needed a pretty boy who could recite ridiculous lines like this without stumbling over them.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Force sex, its like ghost sex but with force.

Also Jabba, he fucks. He is like a baby Paul Atreides.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Lister posted:

She definitely wasn't good enough at the time. I don't get how JJ could have thought hiring a 20 year old with practically zero experience was a good idea to carry movies this big. It's not like mark hamill was great in the original movie either, but in 1977 you can accept that quality standards weren't as high and lucas just needed a pretty boy who could recite ridiculous lines like this without stumbling over them.

I don't think Mark Hamill is that great an actor. He's improved for sure, and he definitely did great as a voice actor. But for ANH, I'm not sure if it was a case of him having just the right energy or other intangibles, or if it was a case of Lucas getting the right performance, the one he needed.

With Ridley, I have no loving clue. Is she a bad actor in a bad role with a bad script? Is she a good actor who was terribly miscast? Is it the director who failed to get the right performance?

edit: The more I think about the sequel trilogy, the more baffled I am by all of it. The story, the characters, everything. It's all just so loving stupid and nonsensical.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 5, 2024

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't think Mark Hamill is that great an actor. He's improved for sure, and he definitely did great as a voice actor. But for ANH, I'm not sure if it was a case of him having just the right energy or other intangibles, or if it was a case of Lucas getting the right performance, the one he needed.

With Ridley, I have no loving clue. Is she a bad actor in a bad role with a bad script? Is she a good actor who was terribly miscast? Is it the director who failed to get the right performance?

edit: The more I think about the sequel trilogy, the more baffled I am by all of it. The story, the characters, everything. It's all just so loving stupid and nonsensical.

Say what you will about the prequels, (they fuckin suck) it was at least one project by one weird guy. It wasn’t a dick waving contest between two directors.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Say what you will about the prequels, (they fuckin suck) it was at least one project by one weird guy. It wasn’t a dick waving contest between two directors.

Absolutely. For all its faults, the prequels were auteur driven films and not some studio slop.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

So because of the Shogun show I ended up spending a whole day reading up on the Shogun warring period. Honestly the actual history of the characters this show is based on is more interesting, and has more intense GoT style royal struggle. I understand why the book/show used fictional names and altered history because they wanted to added more western elements and Christianity elements for the global audience. But the history is more fascinating, the circumstance of how Tokugawa Ieyasu ordered his wife and first born son killed is very interesting and I don't buy the official narrative. Don't worry this is not show related.

Even Tokugawa's mother's litter side story was interesting. She was only with her first son for 1 year and was forced to divorce and remarry to a different clan and could only communicate with her son through clothing gifts. All this happened before she turned 17 year old.

BTW the show look really good, you wouldn't know its a FX show.

Yeah, the new Shogun rules. I decided to re-read Shogun (hadn't touched it in twenty odd years) and rewatch the old Shogun in preparation for it and it's way better than the old show. As good as the old show was, it did not treat the Japanese like characters (more like props and obstacles) because it was told entirely from Blackthorne's perspective. They both stick pretty close to the book, but the new one veers a bit more away and when it does it tends to make sense. I have a feeling the end of the book is gonna be changed completely though because it just wouldn't be a satisfying TV show ending.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

That DICK! posted:

The only two people to have sex in Star Wars are The Emperor and Ki Adi Mundi
Babu Frik fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past