Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Also more pistons and crank out the block

Fun fact, in Canada anyway, the factory extended warranty for 36 months for a C43 is $3,385 and an A45 is $7,299. Can't help but wonder why lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KakerMix posted:

The only BMW M5 wagon I've ever really wanted has been one of these, exactly as pictured:

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9WzWlQEq/1993-bmw-m5-touring

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3qW7aRWA/1995-bmw-m5-touring

Boring color combos though

I'm surprised that the E39 M5 Tourings are only going to high $30Ks - low $50Ks. I expected them to be selling for more.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 5, 2024

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

no lube so what posted:

2.5 tons will never be that cool

Depends of what

Of car? Maybe not

Of ice? That’s pretty cool

Of tiger balm? Now you’re icy

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

fknlo posted:

I don’t know if I’d be able to resist the m3 wagon. I’d probably have to sell my f80 to make it make real sense though, and I don’t particularly want to do that.

BMW makes so many stupid cars and yet, they have a history of bringing cars here with not much of a business case (Z3/Z4 coupe, the grand sport 4 door versions of 2 door cars ugh). There seems to be enough pent-up demand for something like an M3 Touring. They could say the next M3 will be a hybrid or EV and it would fly off the showroom floor.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

BMW makes so many stupid cars and yet, they have a history of bringing cars here with not much of a business case (Z3/Z4 coupe, the grand sport 4 door versions of 2 door cars ugh). There seems to be enough pent-up demand for something like an M3 Touring. They could say the next M3 will be a hybrid or EV and it would fly off the showroom floor.
I'm guessing they're seeing the success of the E63 Wagon and RS6. Audi said that the next gen RS5 will be available as a wagon only in Europe and North America since the RS4 will now be an EV. If it's successful, maybe BMW will bring over the M3 Touring.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

its a kind of lame forum if we can't find a 700 hp wagon cool

I'd argue it's worse when people go "it has so much power and is so fast" because that's lame and easy now. Everything is huge, heavy, and fast. Is the Cybertruck cool because it's so powerful and fast? What if the Cybertruck was a Cyberwagon, built exactly as lovely, would that still be cool because it has 1200 hp or whatever?

I am not 'going to hand it' to BMW or Mercedes for 'finally' bringing a cool wagon over here that's $150,000.

The Panamera is pretty sweet though, shame about all the touch poo poo.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Car company makes a car that enthusiasts say they want, car enthusiasts bitch about it online and don't buy it. Car company takes it off the market and car enthusiasts wonder why car companies don't do anything cool.

It's the circle of life.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Neo_Crimson posted:

Car company makes a car that enthusiasts say they want, car enthusiasts bitch about it online and don't buy it. Car company takes it off the market and car enthusiasts wonder why car companies don't do anything cool.

It's the circle of life.

Average "Car enthusiast" can definitely afford a 100k car yup, you nailed it

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Neo_Crimson posted:

It's the circle of life.

what does enthusiast mean? Dynamic driving 5000lbs sucks rear end

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

well i dont see any enthusiast wagons around here do you?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

It's the circle of life.

Oh please, people aren't nitpicking small things like wind buffeting in the Supra or the lack of heated/ventilated seats or something. This thing is going to cost at least half of a nice house in my poor city, and that sucks rear end.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

these are going to be the tow rigs of mint BoT e30 m3 at the local bavarian auto show. The pinnacle of enthusiast.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
its not like earlier incarnations of the M5 were some paragon of affordability

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Neo_Crimson posted:

It's the circle of life.

Blaming end users for something giant billion dollar companies do sure is a thing. It isn't my fault that Honda kept loving up Acura in North America, it isn't my fault that BMW killed the 5 series wagon here in the states and tried to market that Gran Turismo thing in its place, and it isn't my fault that Lee Iacocca thought that the TC by Maserati was going to excite Chrysler customers.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Franco Caution posted:

I'm actually shocked at the amount of RS6s I've seen out in public. It's like 5 times the amount of what I've seen of the new Nissan Zs.

This is a great observation, and insane.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Pent up demand of... 1000 units a year.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Yeah, people just wanted a normal BMW 330-340-540 wagon like Audi still somehow manages produce, although the A4 is plastic cladding cursed only. If BMW's rationale is "that will steal SUV sales!" they are dumb and lazy as it really wouldn't impact X3/X5 sales much at all.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Obviously they aren't enthusiastic enough.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Speaking of lardy cars

https://twitter.com/dandouglas/status/1776231268352446533?t=cVYh58Ql4Zn65x0hrDRupw&s=19

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Keyser_Soze posted:

Yeah, people just wanted a normal BMW 330-340-540 wagon like Audi still somehow manages produce, although the A4 is plastic cladding cursed only. If BMW's rationale is "that will steal SUV sales!" they are dumb and lazy as it really wouldn't impact X3/X5 sales much at all.

It's very hard to tell since Allroad sales are rolled in to the respective A4 and A6 but the A4 does fewer than 15k units a year so I don't think the Allroad is much of a seller. I agree that a hypothetical 330 wagon wouldn't cannibalize X3 sales because it wouldn't actually sell.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'd take a modern Camry or Accord wagon all day long honestly

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I love wagons and all, but at the same price point, I'd probably just take a X5M and add air suspension option and just drop it as much as possible when i drive it, vs getting the m5 touring. I much prefer the X5 looks vs the weird new 5 series /i5 looks. I can't imagine some fender flairs are going to fix it.

I'll eat my hat though if I'm wrong and they show it without camo and it rules.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I can’t afford a $50,000 car, so I can’t buy anything enthusiast focused. I would have bought a Golf R, or a GR Corolla, or any vanilla sports car, or even a special edition of something I thought was neat and voted with my wallet, but I can’t do any of that.

What I can do is bitch on the internet, and that poo poo only cost me $10 a dozen years ago, so I’m gonna.

BMW is dumb and rear end. Making a station wagon cost $140k is even dumber. Take that, whoever owns/is CEO/obergruppenfuhrer of BMW.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Franco Caution posted:

I can't imagine some fender flairs are going to fix it.

Excuse me, sir. (Tasteful) fender flares make everything look better.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Franco Caution posted:

I love wagons and all, but at the same price point, I'd probably just take a X5M and add air suspension option and just drop it as much as possible when i drive it, vs getting the m5 touring. I much prefer the X5 looks vs the weird new 5 series /i5 looks. I can't imagine some fender flairs are going to fix it.

I'll eat my hat though if I'm wrong and they show it without camo and it rules.

My local wrap shop just showed off a slammed RSQ8 and I couldn't help wonder why not get the 6 if you're gonna slam an SUV, but yea maybe it was just on bags

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Sab669 posted:

My local wrap shop just showed off a slammed RSQ8 and I couldn't help wonder why not get the 6 if you're gonna slam an SUV, but yea maybe it was just on bags

The a6 all road is already riding on air stock.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

no lube so what posted:

edit: like I am an idiot who spent 40k on a 3200lb corolla. I get being dumb and chasing nostalgia in a world where they don't make what I really want.

I test drove a Corolla GR and afterward listened to the sales pitch out of politeness. They started with a 10k market adjustment, which made my day because I got to tell them asking 40k for a Corolla is already insane, but slapping 10k over MSRP is pants on head silliness. The market adjustment evaporated instantly and I still said no.

If I had the garage space and money for like five cars, it'd probably be #5 because it's the only thing on the market new right now in the "Satanic go-kart" category the 500 Abarth used to own.

But I don't, so I bought an SUV.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

GD_American posted:

I test drove a Corolla GR and afterward listened to the sales pitch out of politeness. They started with a 10k market adjustment, which made my day because I got to tell them asking 40k for a Corolla is already insane, but slapping 10k over MSRP is pants on head silliness. The market adjustment evaporated instantly and I still said no.

If I had the garage space and money for like five cars, it'd probably be #5 because it's the only thing on the market new right now in the "Satanic go-kart" category the 500 Abarth used to own.

For me, it has become the compromise/consolidate car. My partner likes both corollas and hatches so it was a good compromise there too. I would have preferred a Miata/twin. We have a 4runner also, and do not have kids, so it's not like we needed more practicality. But it offers just enough practicality for me with the dogs that I am happy we got it instead of the Miata/twin. It's not as fun to drive as a light car. it's just not. Compared to the mr2, it's a clumsy hog. But it is pretty good. good enough that I am starting to get on the fence about selling the mr2 to consolidate.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Neo_Crimson posted:

It's the circle of life.

They haven't made a car I would want since about 2005-ish when the Volvo V70 peaked. Just keep getting worse in all the ways that matter to me, also uglier while also more expensive.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

GD_American posted:

it's the only thing on the market new right now in the "Satanic go-kart" category the 500 Abarth used to own.

The MINI Cooper JCW should also be a consideration if that is what you are shooting for.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

GD_American posted:

Altho I could really use an SUV or small truck I'm fighting it big time. Every single one I've driven has just been such a disappointment in ride quality I can't bring myself buy one. Wouldn't be so bad if my wife didn't hate them either, she just got an IS350 so we could probably use something with more room and capability.

But I'd rather struggle with a sedan and just tie poo poo to the roof if I have to gently caress it. The Ford Maverick would actually be perfect, but gently caress paying a markup for any Ford.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Mavericks still have markups?

Kendal0
Oct 19, 2012
Small and light with moderate power is perfect. Just traded in a 2017 BRZ after putting 126,000 miles on it. Would have kept it but I’m worried there will be zero good stick shift cars soon. The new BRZ is a bit of a disappointment inside and not as good looking outside, so I went with the next best thing, an Integra Type S, a.k.a a type R with a seat my fat, old rear end fits in.

Hatchback is good. Wheel arches, appreciated. 300 lbs increase in weight over the BRZ, not as good. It’s saying something these days to say a 3,200 lbs car feels a bit heavy. The power and ultimate handling are fabulous though.

Bottom line, the BRZ was a puppy dog that just made me smile every time I drove it. The Type S is a fully grown Bulldog. Powerful, agile, and tons of space over the BRZ. It is a better car in every way, but that the BRZ was more fun on the daily because it was more playful.

But hey, I now have about the most competent stick shift car remaining on the market. It’ll be great for the next 10 to 15 years before this old man is forced into an electric thingie.

FYI, 57 years old and never had and automatic other than the A4 I got my wife 10 years ago when her back hurt too much for the clutch. Owned lots of great sports cars over my time, but the playful ones were always the best.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

moxieman posted:

Try even finding one to sit in at a showroom.

gently caress yeah they still have markups

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

moxieman posted:

Yes. And I'd still be hesitant to buy one at or under msrp to be honest.

It's a friggin entry level Ford built in Mexico. I've been following Maverick message boards and it has the typical Ford econobox problems as well as major issues like the 8 speed transmissions making GBS threads in the Ecoboost (not surprised there) and hybrid models having weird problems and also bricking. EB models seem to be doing better overall but it's still a crap shoot, some people have no problems and others are selling because of too many issues and the dealerships not cooperating of course. "Cannot replicate the problem" seems to be a common theme for warranty work.

I talked to a guy that bought two for his family (he ordered them and paid msrp), a Hybrid and a EB. He sold the hybrid and kept the EB, and said it's a decent vehicle but absolutely not worth a dime over msrp.

I still might roll the dice and get an EB AWD with the 4k towing package if Ford brings the price down but I don't see it happening anytime soon. I'd love a Ridgeline Trailsport but LOL at paying over $45k for one of those, so I'm currently looking at used V6 Camrys :v:

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Kendal0 posted:

Small and light with moderate power is perfect. Just traded in a 2017 BRZ after putting 126,000 miles on it. Would have kept it but I’m worried there will be zero good stick shift cars soon. The new BRZ is a bit of a disappointment inside and not as good looking outside, so I went with the next best thing, an Integra Type S, a.k.a a type R with a seat my fat, old rear end fits in.

What color did you get, and how was the dealer experience? Did they have a good amount of inventory? I honestly haven't seen many out on the road where I am, and I wondered if they were hard to find or if dealerships were playing Type R games with them.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Kendal0 posted:

so I went with the next best thing, an Integra Type S, a.k.a a type R with a seat my fat, old rear end fits in.

How's the road noise? It's sorta killing me on my '23 Type R. I've never owned a Honda before though and maybe they're just loud as gently caress? My last car was an RS3 so some of it is probably coming from that, but before that I had an Elantra N, Fiesta ST, and Mazdaspeed3 — the Type R feels louder than everything. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Kendal0
Oct 19, 2012

grahm posted:

How's the road noise? It's sorta killing me on my '23 Type R. I've never owned a Honda before though and maybe they're just loud as gently caress? My last car was an RS3 so some of it is probably coming from that, but before that I had an Elantra N, Fiesta ST, and Mazdaspeed3 — the Type R feels louder than everything. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Road noise is less than the Type R. That was a design goal. It’s much quieter than my 2017 BRZ so for me, it feels very quiet. About the same as our 2014 Audi A4, a bit more tire noise but otherwise about the same.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Kendal0 posted:

Road noise is less than the Type R. That was a design goal. It’s much quieter than my 2017 BRZ so for me, it feels very quiet. About the same as our 2014 Audi A4, a bit more tire noise but otherwise about the same.

Nice. It still seemed pretty loud on my test drive but I didn't have the Type R to compare at that time. My perfect-ish car would be a Type R with heated Type R seats, the ITS exhaust, and less road noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Forbes leaked the new 4runner.

All if you who wanted piano black plastic fender flares on an offroad vehicle finally got your way.