Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Love that there's flumph popes and a strong tradition of religion among them because it sets up an amazing story opportunity with these guys:

Ixitxachitl, which are also highly religious, generally either following their own species god or just Demogorgon.

Party finds a religious war happening between flying jellyfish and flying stingray vampires. How will they get involved? Do they really even want to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

theironjef posted:

Party finds a religious war happening between flying jellyfish and flying stingray vampires. How will they get involved? Do they really even want to?

I’m in! Text me when it’s my turn in combat.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

theironjef posted:

Love that there's flumph popes and a strong tradition of religion among them because it sets up an amazing story opportunity with these guys:

Ixitxachitl, which are also highly religious, generally either following their own species god or just Demogorgon.

Three way holy war between Flumphs, the stingray guys (gently caress spelling that), and Kuo-Toa adherents of that sexy crayfish goddess whose name is also hard to spell

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

It's like blipboopdebloop or something.

Kuo-Toa language is actually really simple to use when DMing, it's just random sounds that are easy to make.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i tried imitating fake languages for a while but it always ended up feeling weirdly racist so now i just say stuff like “they say something in a language you dont understand, they sound angry and there’s a lilt indicating they might have asked a question”

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

It's like blipboopdebloop or something.

Kuo-Toa language is actually really simple to use when DMing, it's just random sounds that are easy to make.

C’mon, it’s Blibdoolpoolp, just like it sounds. (No, I didn’t look it up.)

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

theironjef posted:

I always thought the Ixitxatchitl were aquatic. If they've been secretly flying this whole time my players have been missing out.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

scary ghost dog posted:

i tried imitating fake languages for a while but it always ended up feeling weirdly racist so now i just say stuff like “they say something in a language you dont understand, they sound angry and there’s a lilt indicating they might have asked a question”

British accent for groups of evil non-common using groups so the party doesn't feel too bad about wiping them out.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 6, 2024

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

so my longtime dnd group has hit a brick wall after our online ttrpg map tracker thingy of choice, standardaction has been down for over a month with no sign of life. we briefly tried to juryrig something with foundry but that was... a mess. dm hated the UI and we couldn't even get the whole online connection / server thing working, the dm had to stream their screen over discord

does anyone have some suggestions for replacements i might be able to float to the group? preferably something that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg since we're all dirt poor. we used to just do pure theatre of the mind years ago but it's hard to go back to that after having gotten used to actually being able to track things like range, distance, and the size of aoe spells :v

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Roll20 was always my 5e virtual tabletop of choice, though it may not have all the features you’re looking for. It’s fairly free and straightforward to use, and offers a lot of support for D&D.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

We like Owlbear Rodeo for our games. Free tier has lots of features.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

If you use DnDBeyond there are extensions that let it work with Roll20 (we use Beyond20), which can be less frustrating than dealing with the standard Roll20 interface. I was fine going into the weeds of Roll20 macros and building a bunch of custom buttons, but I doubt the average player will bother with that kind of thing.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Foundry is worth figuring out, the dnd 5e quality of life is insanely good. Importing and syncing with DDB, adventure munchers/imports, ready-to-go battlemap imports.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Whats the consensus, if there is any, on the whole shadow blade/booming blade combo given the updated rules for booming blade stipulating that the melee weapon used must have a price of at least 1 sp.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

All warlock contacts with their patron include a 2 SP processing fee.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Telsa Cola posted:

Whats the consensus, if there is any, on the whole shadow blade/booming blade combo given the updated rules for booming blade stipulating that the melee weapon used must have a price of at least 1 sp.

Mike mearls hates fun

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

You have to shout "I'd buy THAT for a dollar" whenever you swing your summoned sword around.

Or just keep a silver piece in your hand when summoning it.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Telsa Cola posted:

I think Crawford said he'd allow it if he was DMing (or something like that, anyway). The intent was to stop you from using a focus instead of a weapon, not from stopping you from using a shadow blade/pact of the blade summoned blade/whatever.
e: and stopping you from using a component pouch, though that one is hilarious.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Wait, what? Using a component pouch for Booming Blade?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Mike mearls hates fun

didn't he get fired last December?

Wait, what? Using a component pouch for Booming Blade?

Component pouches are supposed to contain any listed spell components for your spells that don't have a gold value

GFB/BB list melee weapons as components, and previously did not have a minimum value

accordingly, your component pouch contains infinite weapons of your choice so you didn't need one to use the blade cantrips

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 6, 2024

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

thanks for the suggestions posting friends

Deteriorata posted:

We like Owlbear Rodeo for our games. Free tier has lots of features.

i recc'd this to our dm, seems cool and about in our lane for what we need, thank you!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Dallan Invictus posted:

Component pouches are supposed to contain any listed spell components for your spells that don't have a gold value

GFB/BB list melee weapons as components, and previously did not have a minimum value

accordingly, your component pouch contains infinite weapons of your choice so you didn't need one to use the blade cantrips

I'm pretty sure that was already covered with "you must make a melee attack with a weapon"

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Beast Pussy posted:

All warlock contacts with their patron include a 2 SP processing fee.

That reminds me of the time in Dimension 20's Fantasy High: Sophomore Year where there was an Fiendish Warlock Patron who didn't own the patron's soul or anything, but just charged them gold for spells.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

I'm pretty sure that was already covered with "you must make a melee attack with a weapon"

How so? You draw a melee weapon out of your component pouch, cast booming (or green-flame) blade, and make a melee weapon attack with the melee weapon as a part of the effect of the cantrip.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Staltran posted:

How so? You draw a melee weapon out of your component pouch, cast booming (or green-flame) blade, and make a melee weapon attack with the melee weapon as a part of the effect of the cantrip.

You draw the needed material component out of your pouch, cast booming blade, don’t have a melee weapon to make the attack, and the spell fails.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I also don't see how the intent was to stop you from using a focus. The focus stands in for the component of the spell, but the description still requires a weapon.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
shadow blade is just too cool to let someone sully it with booming blade, a boring-rear end artificer weapon buff. i would only allow it begrudgingly

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Kaal posted:

You draw the needed material component out of your pouch, cast booming blade, don’t have a melee weapon to make the attack, and the spell fails.

the material component is the weapon. it's a stupid and obtuse idea but I don't think you can defeat it by being more obtuse.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 7, 2024

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Do improvised weapons count?

Wear a ring worth 1sp and you've got a booming punch.

Are your boots worth 1sp? Booming crotch punt.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Valentin posted:

the material component is the weapon. it's a stupid and obtuse idea but I don't think you can defeat it by being more obtuse.

The component pouch can create the materials needed for the spell, but not for actually making the attack. It’s the same issue as using a component pouch to make a ranged attack with your bow - ammunition is a spell component but the bow can’t draw from it.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

so a melee weapon created from the component pouch is not a melee weapon? Is there a basis for that in the RAW?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Valentin posted:

so a melee weapon created from the component pouch is not a melee weapon? Is there a basis for that in the RAW?

the component pouch doesnt “create” anything - its the implied stuff you picked up to cast spells with later instead of making you actually pay attention to what spells cost. you can choose to pay attention to spell components instead if youre obsessed with RAW

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Component pouches don't make the components.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

the component pouch doesnt “create” anything - its the implied stuff you picked up to cast spells with later instead of making you actually pay attention to what spells cost. you can choose to pay attention to spell components instead if youre obsessed with RAW

quote:

A component pouch is a small, watertight leather belt pouch that has compartments to hold all the material components and other special items you need to cast your spells, except for those components that have a specific cost (as indicated in a spell's description).

I struggle to find a way to read this to suggest anything other than that a component pouch contains all components except those that have a specified cost. The fact that melee weapons were listed as a component with no cost implied they were held in a pouch until they were cast. That's why this got errata'd. What am I missing?

e: like what seems to be suggested by the replies I'm getting is that a component pouch contains not e.g. bat guano but the vague gameplay essence of bat guano needed to cast a spell. But that is simply not what is said. The pouch is not a material focus replacing the need for components, it literally and explicitly contains all non-costed components. That's stupid, and adding a cost to the weapon in BB/GFB to make the component pouch not a melee weapon container is stupid, but it seems pretty straightforwardly true by what's written.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 7, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Outrail posted:

Do improvised weapons count?

Wear a ring worth 1sp and you've got a booming punch.

Are your boots worth 1sp? Booming crotch punt.

Probably. it's very clearly a kludgy rule change just intended to stop people from doing a thing that was too cool (shadow +boom). Whic is dumb because it's just a few extra dice end of the day; let people have cool stuff.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Valentin posted:

I struggle to find a way to read this to suggest anything other than that a component pouch contains all components except those that have a specified cost. The fact that melee weapons were listed as a component with no cost implied they were held in a pouch until they were cast. That's why this got errata'd. What am I missing?

e: like what seems to be suggested by the replies I'm getting is that a component pouch contains not e.g. bat guano but the vague gameplay essence of bat guano needed to cast a spell. But that is simply not what is said. The pouch is not a material focus replacing the need for components, it literally and explicitly contains all non-costed components. That's stupid, and adding a cost to the weapon in BB/GFB to make the component pouch not a melee weapon container is stupid, but it seems pretty straightforwardly true by what's written.

yes, your component pouch quite literally contains the set of all sets that dont include themselves

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Valentin posted:

PHB posted:

Casting some spells requires particular objects, specified in parentheses in the component entry. A character can use a component pouch or a spellcasting focus (found in “Equipment”) in place of the components specified for a spell. But if a cost is indicated for a component, a character must have that specific component before he or she can cast the spell.

Mechanically the specifics of the 5e PHB rules are that the component pouch is no different from a spell-casting focus. It exists to offer an alternative form than a wand or a staff. For the most part it works really well to differentiate characters without actually changing things, though obviously in some cases it can cause misunderstandings. Updating the spells to clarify that melee weapons, ammunition, and similar situations have value is a reasonable solution.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Valentin posted:

Okay, sure. You can pull a weapon out of your component pouch. What weapon is it? How much damage does this weapon do? How does it fit in the pouch? Can't be any of the weapons on the weapons table, because those have a cost.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

How does it fit in the pouch? It fits very well thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Sorry, the weapon is the pouch itself.