Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

bird with big dick posted:

FSD doesn’t make you go below the speed limit unless maybe the weather and visibility is poo poo so you’re going to have to find something else to blame.

cruft posted:

It's... different than it was before. It hugs the right side of the lane: ms cruft thinks it does this when there's oncoming traffic. It drives like a petrified granny on highways, frequently below the speed limit, with no option to go back up. I will say it is more consistent with lane positioning, and doesn't get faked out by New Mexico's offramps with no striped line to denote the right of through lane.

The worst thing about it, though, is that when you enable FSD now, there is no way to get back to just cruise control. You get FSD or you do all the driving. This is really irritating on the highway when you want to keep up with the Ford Fiesta passing you at 52MPH in the 55MPH zone.

So I've disabled FSD. It's a pity, I actually preferred it on the highway. Maybe the next release will fix some of these things: that seems to be the way of it.

I really hope they don't get rid of the auto-steer stack any time soon. It's got problems, but I've learned how to work around it.

I don't know if it's the FSD update, or just the normal morons that buy Teslas that can't figure out driving laws or charger reservations, nor do I care.

Three Olives posted:

Our microwave has a soft-close door and every time I use it I am disappointed everything in my life isn't soft-close.

Soft-close cabinets are incredible, I'm also unreasonably mad that the top bit of my soft-close toilet seat poo poo itself, so it just slams down when released. I can't wait for my house be 100% completed and updated next yearish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My sis and BIL have a newish bmw x5 and I just learned about the feature that just reverses the car out the same way you drove it in and I think that’s goddamn brilliant for tight garages etc.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Elviscat posted:

I'm also unreasonably mad that the top bit of my soft-close toilet seat poo poo itself, so it just slams down when released.

Ever since we got these installed, I'm always accidentally dropping/slamming toilet seats elsewhere

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

priznat posted:

My sis and BIL have a newish bmw x5 and I just learned about the feature that just reverses the car out the same way you drove it in and I think that’s goddamn brilliant for tight garages etc.
Even better, the time someone who relies on this feature jumps into a car that doesn't have it and immediately sideswipe the shelves next to them and widen the garage door opening by 5 inches.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Chronojam posted:

Ever since we got these installed, I'm always accidentally dropping/slamming toilet seats elsewhere

It's like when you charge a car with one-pedal all the way up and start crashing into stuff uncontrollably, muscle memory just takes over.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

FSD doesn’t make you go below the speed limit unless maybe the weather and visibility is poo poo so you’re going to have to find something else to blame.

Indeed, there are a bunch of settings related to all the auto driving modes where you decide whether you want it to travel at exactly the posted speed limit or a certain percentage above it. Or you can just manually adjust on the fly using the scroll wheel on the steering wheel

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Elviscat posted:

It's like when you charge a car with one-pedal all the way up and start crashing into stuff uncontrollably, muscle memory just takes over.

My husband hates one-pedal and for some reason his phone as key supersedes mine in driver profile so every time I get in the car with him in the passenger seat I put it in reverse and freak the gently caress out as the car starts rolling uncontrollably towards the house.

ROFLBOT posted:

Indeed, there are a bunch of settings related to all the auto driving modes where you decide whether you want it to travel at exactly the posted speed limit or a certain percentage above it. Or you can just manually adjust on the fly using the scroll wheel on the steering wheel

See, this is the kind of poo poo that makes me mad at Tesla. I completely understand driving to conditions, that there are perfectly reasonable and legal reasons to drive above or below the posted speed limit but giving people a default "I would like to always drive above the posted speed limit" seems like obviously this company is developing this technology in a completely irresponsible way.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 5, 2024

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

FSD shouldn't even exist but it also shouldnt let you drive at or above the speed limit either.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

FSD shouldn't even exist but it also shouldnt let you drive at or above the speed limit either.

What driver assists limit you to the speed limit? Every one I've used lets you exceed the speed limit.

Shouldn't let you drive at the speed limit? So autopilot on the highway should do what? Stick you in the right lane doing 10 under?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah sounds good to me

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ford's system lets you exceed the speed limit and doesn't even require you to have a hand on the wheel.

Plus they can't even get their speedometer to work right. Can't believe they haven't fixed this yet.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What driver assists limit you to the speed limit? Every one I've used lets you exceed the speed limit.

Shouldn't let you drive at the speed limit? So autopilot on the highway should do what? Stick you in the right lane doing 10 under?

What driver assists besides Telsa let's you set the default to speeding? Override, fine, you have consciously made that decision in the moment but default is widely reckless. Also as the owner of a Ford, I can double check tomorrow but I'm pretty sure if you have speed limit sign detection on, it will not allow you to disable the notification that you are speeding with any higher threshold than 5 MPH, it's certainly less than 10 MPH.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Ford's system lets you exceed the speed limit and doesn't even require you to have a hand on the wheel.

Plus they can't even get their speedometer to work right. Can't believe they haven't fixed this yet.

Did they remove the Pitot tube cap?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Three Olives posted:

What driver assists besides Telsa let's you set the default to speeding? Override, fine, you have consciously made that decision in the moment but default is widely reckless. Also as the owner of a Ford, I can double check tomorrow but I'm pretty sure if you have speed limit sign detection on, it will not allow you to disable the notification that you are speeding with any higher threshold than 5 MPH, it's certainly less than 10 MPH.

Who cares? A setting that defaults to five over is somehow worse than manually setting 10 over each time?

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Three Olives posted:

lol at the hand-wringing. Do you even drive IRL? I can comfortably say there are *zero* situations when i would be enabling TACC (cruise) and *not* doing 5 or 10km/h over where i can, such are the lovely speed limits and the habits of other drivers around me

In fact if i was on a typical freeway and enabled cruise only to have the car suddenly decelerate to get back to the posted speed limit, THAT would be more hazardous than anything else

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Who cares? A setting that defaults to five over is somehow worse than manually setting 10 over each time?

Yeah, I'm trying to think of any regulated product that just lets you default to breaking the law. Plenty of ones have manual overrides, but not ones that default.

ROFLBOT posted:

lol at the hand-wringing. Do you even drive IRL? I can comfortably say there are *zero* situations when i would be enabling TACC (cruise) and *not* doing 5 or 10km/h over where i can, such are the lovely speed limits and the habits of other drivers around me

In fact if i was on a typical freeway and enabled cruise only to have the car suddenly decelerate to get back to the posted speed limit, THAT would be more hazardous than anything else

No, this is exactly what I am saying, there are situations, default is not a situation, it's I want to drive fast all the time, regardless of conditions or posted speeds.

Also, if it was FSD, shouldn’t one of its most core abilities be to decide on it’s own if it is driving at a safe and prudent speed?

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 5, 2024

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
My Ioniq 6 gives a slight speed alert (just gives the speed limit display red text) whenever I'm one MPH over what it thinks is the limit. It often thinks freeways are 50MPH and don't you dare go 25 past a school zone on Easter Sunday!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

slidebite posted:

Even better, the time someone who relies on this feature jumps into a car that doesn't have it and immediately sideswipe the shelves next to them and widen the garage door opening by 5 inches.

Yeah similarly I'm hosed now if I ever try to drive a car without around view cam.. drat gizmos just make it too easy!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Jimong5 posted:

I've come to terms with the number of people who will judge it for being an EV far exceeds the number or people who will judge it for being a Musk EV. I'm an adult and why would I care about what people think about what I have to drive and live with daily.

I bought the Y because it had the best charging network and the best cargo space packaging. It felt massively bigger inside than the Mach E and the ID 4.

right, which is why you slap a funny bumper sticker on it and move on with your life

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

In the latest updates it does, per a bunch of feedback posts I've seen on v12 and 12.3.3. Apparently it was very bad in 12.0, somewhat fixed now but not in many situations.
Hilariously this seems to result in a lot of the fsd shills online setting their speed offset to like +15mph just to get it to drive at the speed limit, though that often makes it drive over the speed limit at times as well.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

My Ioniq 6 gives a slight speed alert (just gives the speed limit display red text) whenever I'm one MPH over what it thinks is the limit. It often thinks freeways are 50MPH and don't you dare go 25 past a school zone on Easter Sunday!

I rented a CRV with speed limit sign detection in NY for a wedding, and they really like their "END X MPH LIMIT" signs, so the thing was constantly yelling at me for going over 40 in a 65.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ROFLBOT posted:

30's mach has only left his suburb once in its life which is why he doesn't care that its fast charging is substandard.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Dangit. AVIS strikes again. We reserved a Prius Hybrid for 2000 m trip (will be comfortable and good evaluation for when Polestar lease is up.
AVIS gave us a hybrid Jeep Wrangler instead. :(

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lol youre gonna spend like 3x as much on gas

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/tesla-scraps-low-cost-car-plans-amid-fierce-chinese-ev-competition-2024-04-05/

Ok well if Tesla is throwing in the towel can we at least get some of those cheap BYD EVs here in the US please

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

OldSenileGuy posted:

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/tesla-scraps-low-cost-car-plans-amid-fierce-chinese-ev-competition-2024-04-05/

Ok well if Tesla is throwing in the towel can we at least get some of those cheap BYD EVs here in the US please

quote:

Musk unveiled a prototype of the angular, stainless steel-clad truck in 2019 and predicted a starting price of about $40,000. The vehicle finally arrived last year as a 2024 model. The two versions available now start at about $80,000 and $100,000. Tesla says a lower-end Cybertruck costing about $61,000 won't be ready for delivery until 2025.
The company has also struggled to work through manufacturing problems, particularly with the truck's pioneering battery technology. Musk hopes to sell the vehicle in high volumes but warned investors last fall about "enormous challenges" ramping up production and making the vehicle profitable.

"We dug our own grave with the Cybertruck," he said.

Is he admitting that Cybertruck was a mistake?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

Is he admitting that Cybertruck was a mistake?
He'll never admit that, this is from a while ago when he was whining how it was difficult to manufacture. Which was definitely the fault of workers not assembling the flat stainless panels at micron accuracy and not his.

Also :lamo: at telling investors that the Model 2 is coming next year just this January and now cutting it, what a genius.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

El Grillo posted:

In the latest updates it does, per a bunch of feedback posts I've seen on v12 and 12.3.3. Apparently it was very bad in 12.0, somewhat fixed now but not in many situations.
Hilariously this seems to result in a lot of the fsd shills online setting their speed offset to like +15mph just to get it to drive at the speed limit, though that often makes it drive over the speed limit at times as well.

I used v12.3 a bit the other weekend, mostly interstate and midwestern rural roads (ie very straight, minimal intersections). And found it a fair bit of an improvement over the previous version. It now moves to the left of the lane while passing trucks with trailers, or while passing other vehicles that were close to the line. It did seem occasionally to be averse to returning to the set speed which *gasp* I did set to be above posted speed limits, and I did manually make it accelerate once. The biggest issue (and an understandable one) was when we came up behind a bit of farm equipment, there was a.. disc plow(??) being towed by a pickup, and it had an orange warning triangle on the back. The car slowed down and stayed like 100 yards back from it, so I disengaged and passed it myself, otherwise no real issues. I haven't tried out v12.3.3 which got pushed to me a couple days ago.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I won't be using FSD again until there's some way to have plain old cruise control. For some damned reason (probably an effort to force people to experience how great it is), enabling the *ability* to engage FSD disables the *ability* to engage cruise control. It used to be that when you grabbed the steering wheel and took over, it would fall back to cruise. No more: now it disengages everything.

I really hope I can do both again come April. I actually preferred FSD to AutoPilot on the highway. But I also want to be able to steer the car and have it maintain speed like I can in the 2017 Nissan LEAF I just bought from my dad for like $186.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

cruft posted:

I won't be using FSD again until there's some way to have plain old cruise control. For some damned reason (probably an effort to force people to experience how great it is), enabling the *ability* to engage FSD disables the *ability* to engage cruise control. It used to be that when you grabbed the steering wheel and took over, it would fall back to cruise. No more: now it disengages everything.

I really hope I can do both again come April. I actually preferred FSD to AutoPilot on the highway. But I also want to be able to steer the car and have it maintain speed like I can in the 2017 Nissan LEAF I just bought from my dad for like $186.
Interesting. Experiences seem to vary wildly. I have been pretty bored at work the past few days and also a bit Tesla-crazy since getting my new car, so have been idly browsing posts about it. It seems the non-city driving is not neural net stuff but still apparently has improved in certain ways.
I've seen quite a few people complaining about 12.3.3 showing regressions from 12.3/12.3.2.1 so you may or may not want to hold off on updating for a while. In theory they should be releasing another version pretty soon though god knows whether they'll stick to that schedule.

borkencode posted:

I used v12.3 a bit the other weekend, mostly interstate and midwestern rural roads (ie very straight, minimal intersections). And found it a fair bit of an improvement over the previous version. It now moves to the left of the lane while passing trucks with trailers, or while passing other vehicles that were close to the line. It did seem occasionally to be averse to returning to the set speed which *gasp* I did set to be above posted speed limits, and I did manually make it accelerate once. The biggest issue (and an understandable one) was when we came up behind a bit of farm equipment, there was a.. disc plow(??) being towed by a pickup, and it had an orange warning triangle on the back. The car slowed down and stayed like 100 yards back from it, so I disengaged and passed it myself, otherwise no real issues. I haven't tried out v12.3.3 which got pushed to me a couple days ago.
Yeah they disabled one-pull TACC apparently. You have to get rid of the FSD option altogether I think (for the moment) to get back standard TACC?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

El Grillo posted:

Yeah they disabled one-pull TACC apparently. You have to get rid of the FSD option altogether I think (for the moment) to get back standard TACC?

Yes, this is what I was griping about :)

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

cruft posted:

I'm also mad about this, and the inability to just tell the drat car to stop executing lane changes all the loving time. Something about this FSD stack is allergic to just chilling in the right lane even if I'm only using the highway for a mile. There's a limited lane change option but for some idiotic reason it's only available for the current drive and you have to toggle it on every single time.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

FSD just took me to Costco and back flawlessly. Had it set to break the law constantly mode (5 over) and it stuck to it. Even ran over three squirrels, as is my wont.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Drake No: I don’t like Teslas because of Elon.
Drake Yes: I don’t like Teslas because I understand the concept of beauty. https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTLSDVRAx/

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hi thread. I saw somewhere that said that Tesla had a bad quarter and are slashing prices on some models. For shits and giggles I built up a Model Y Long Range on their website and it does seem that a dealer an hour away slashed $5200 off the model I put together as "price adjustment?"

I've been randomly building 3's and Y's a couple times a year when I'm bored to check the pricing and never liked how expensive they were. Now with that $5200 off the Y, and combined with the $7500 tax credit, I think I might be more comfortable with paying the current prices. This would be replacing a 2016 Subaru WRX ($10-15k KBB value), and our other car is a 2018 Abrams Suburban (we have 5 kids). The WRX has 2 kid car seats in the back, so I can essentially ever only drive 1 other family member without the annoyance of taking them out and putting them back in constantly, hence the 7-seat option in the screenshots above. And yeah, I know cramming 7 in the Y is like a clown car, especially with 2 car seats (if not impossible), but being able to drive 5-6 around at once without paying 42c/mile for gas in the Suburban would be nice.

Our electric is just under 15c/kWh and I just filled up my WRX for $5.25/gal. So cheap-ish electric and expensive gas here in the Sacramento CA area. I've averaged about $1700 in gas and 9500 miles per year on the WRX. Now I realize that that going to an EV isn't going to magically pay for itself over gas, but at least it sort of dampens the blow. Plus, being able to charge overnight at home and not wait in Costco lines anymore, except long trips, is really appealing. Plus, the WRX is a stick shift and I'm the only one in the family who knows how to drive it, and everyone else has no drive to learn, so it sometimes puts us in a car conundrum if I ever need the Suburban for errands, kid soccer car pool, or whatever. Everyone else is just stuck at home until I get back and franky I'm sick of fuckin hearing it from all the lame non-stick shift drivers in my house.

ANYWAY
I've been trying to solicit feedback about the Y, but also Tesla in general, from my friends who own one, and the only con they ever give me is "giving shithead Elon more money," and they all seem to love their Teslas. But a common sentiment has also been "gently caress you, I paid $10-20k more for the Y a couple years ago." So thread, what don't you like about your Tesla?
What regular maintenance besides tires and brakes need done on Teslas?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 5, 2024

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

ANYWAY
I've been trying to solicit feedback about the Y, but also Tesla in general, from my friends who own one, and the only con they ever give me is "giving shithead Elon more money," and they all seem to love their Teslas. So thread, what don't you like about your Tesla?
What regular maintenance besides tires and brakes need done on Teslas?

Washer fluid is another consumable, but no different than any other vehicle. Also used to be the case that folks recommended that you hand-wash and do touchless car washes at most, but it’s hard to tell how much of that is people being Car People.

My understanding is that you’re only going to be able to fit your smallest, least-liked kids in the “third row,” so if that’s a serious selling point for you, you might want to look at other options.

On the Model 3 and Model Y, there’s some pretty infamous hoops to jump through if you need to mechanically release the rear doors. You’d also want to make sure you’ve got some sort of roadside flat repair kit so you and yours don’t get stranded somewhere, since there are no spare tires.

The fit and finish bother some people - panel gaps and alignment, road noise, cheap plastic interior panels, etc. Mine has some screen discoloration since Tesla cheaped out on the adhesive, but I think they’ve fixed that since. There’s also larger Tesla design choices like avoiding physical controls that you’re either going to not mind or actively loathe.

I’ve said it before, that this is more of an indictment of the rest of the auto industry than a compliment of Tesla, but mine has spent the least time getting repairs of any car I’ve owned.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Model Y feedback req

I liked my model Y. I had my share of issues in the first 2 years of ownership like a Pt sensor failure, hood latch sensor failure and an upper control arm failure that were all covered under warranty. I sold it because I moved across the country. My biggest complaint was the way their door opens w/ the inset handles and windows that have to roll down to open the door. That is only because I lived in an area with reliable snow and ice during the winter and I didn't have a garage to park in.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Plus, the WRX is a stick shift and I'm the only one in the family who knows how to drive it, and everyone else has no drive to learn, so it sometimes puts us in a car conundrum if I ever need the Suburban for errands, kid soccer car pool, or whatever. Everyone else is just stuck at home until I get back and franky I'm sick of fuckin hearing it from all the lame non-stick shift drivers in my house.

Can't really help you out much on the Y feedback, but this is the platonic ideal of "no one but yourself to blame". They're "stuck at home" for no reason other than laziness.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I bought 3 Teslas so far, this post makes me want to buy 3 more.

“I’ll buy myself a whole panzer division of nazi cars, just to show what a freak you are :smug:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You probably already spotted this but it's also showing you a lower price cause it's estimating gas savings for you on the website