Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

breaker vs punisher, give me your thoughts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Any news on the new warbond yet? My internet's died and won't be fixed till Monday so I'm hoping they don't remove the other ones as I've not completed them entirely yet.

They’ll never remove the older war bonds.

And it’ll be out on the 11th

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

lol sorry

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Any news on the new warbond yet? My internet's died and won't be fixed till Monday so I'm hoping they don't remove the other ones as I've not completed them entirely yet.

They're on record saying they'll never remove any warbonds, so you're fine. Next one is on the 11th.

EFB twice in one day, this thread is too busy.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Nothin much, what's a dominator with you?

Just got my 85(!) medal drop from the last two major orders and finally unlocked the Scorcher. Seems really good, actually! From the discussion in here I figured it was one of those kinda niche guns that some people love and most people think is mediocre. I just did a bot 5 to try it out, it's great to just be able to shoot a strider a few times without having to use grenades or get an angle on the pilot. Less good for Devastators, though? I thought it'd blow up the head really easy with the explosions, but it didn't seem like I was doing any damage at all unless I hit the exact weak points. Didn't seem to do anything against Hulk eyes, either. Any tips on using it? It feels almost like I thought the dominator would, actually, I still don't know why that thing has such awful recoil and handling.

Shoot the vents on the back of hulks/tanks/turrets. Shoot the faceplate on striders twice to kill the pilot. You need to hit devastators in the head otherwise its kind of a waste. It oneshots trash so its decent at clearing half a dozen or so little bots. It kinda falls off against berserkers but you can take the redeemer to make up for that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Hellpod space is such a must take, that I wish it was a ship upgrade instead of eating up someone's booster

yeah no kidding. the extra ammo, meh, there's lots of ammo boxes around, but having full stims and grenades out of the pod is critical.

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

It's for hipfire aim. It shows a pretty good representation of your spread.

I wouldn't mind if they made the reticles customizable by gun though

I don't mind having an indicator of spread, but it should just be a regular triangle that gets wider as you fire rather than a swarm of moths fluttering around where you're trying to focus.

Also the reticle lines and dots are too thick. 10 feet away from the screen console accommodation trash. :lofty: Make them one or two pixels wide please so they don't cover up the aim point.

I would love to have a customizable reticle yes.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Very annoying to have a ton of rare samples but so few common samples

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nybble posted:

Word. I am going to cap Rares at this rate.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nybble posted:

This is where I was for the last five or six upgrades too, lol. I had like 40 leftover pinks and plenty of orange but was scrabbling around every mission for enough greens.

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Joel noticed we weren't going to get anywhere close to completing the order with the regen set where it was on Maia, and we're back to a Maybe Completing The Order (though, the weekend skews it a lot, to the point maybe we'll pull it off)

It was at 1.50% regeneration last night but only 0.50% today, yeah

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Edit: beaten, deleted

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

d0grent posted:

Breaker: big burst damage, but empties out quickly.

Punisher: sustained stagger and damage, and you can always top it off so it's always ready when you need it.

Lots of people like the Breaker because it's competent if you have a crowd baring down on you. Since I tend to already invest in crowd control, I prefer the Punisher's reliability when dealing with whatever got past my other tools.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

d0grent posted:

If you have the sickle just use that tbh

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
It's my fault for playing too much, but this hurts to see.

I wish there was a medal sink, even if it's just a dumb cosmetic or title.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I assume they'll add that at some point

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

During a eradication mission extract I was diving my way to due to my ems and every enemy just swarming

And my team mate just pops me in the face. I’m dead they reenforce but it’s too late so I say in the chat “wtf”

Now look. I’ve straight up jumped and fired at a teammate because I thought they were a robot so I get it but what made me mad was this person didn’t apologize, they just replied “you jumped at me” “I was shooting and you jumped in my way”

Say sorry mf lol that’s it.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 5, 2024

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Imagine playing in a cop lobby

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Risky Bisquick posted:

If you have the sickle just use that tbh

idk if I like the sickle against bots, I empty almost a whole 'clip' into a devastator and then promptly get blasted into hell

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

d0grent posted:

Breaker will deal more damage more quickly when you need it to, but will run out of total ammo more quickly. So, it's good at getting you out of a tight jam caused by having too many enemies on you all at once.

Punisher still does enough damage most of the time, and will make sure none of your shells are wasted, which makes it way less likely to leave you stranded with no ammo.

You may just have to ask yourself which problem are you running into more? Personally I rarely find that the Punisher can't shoot it's way out of a problem; one click kills most enemies you should be shooting with it and the pump happens while changing targets. But if you have acces to lots and lots of ammo, like at an objective, or with a resupply down, or while carrying a supply pack; you can really put out a lot of damage by just commiting to the trick of mag dumping as quickly as possible.

There's also the factor that the Breaker requires just a bit more mental bandwidth regarding the reload: should you discard that mostly spent but not empty magazine? Probably yes if you've still got lots left, probably no if you're almost out of mags. None of that has to be considered with the punisher, just reload whenever.

My primary weapon big thought is that the sickle is too good; essentially infinite ammo fits the primaries roll of trash cleaner so, so well, and it removes a LOT of the attrition low tier enemies otherwise introduce. There are other primaries that might be better on paper, but primaries only have to clear a very low bar of "can clear out the chaff" and when one of them basically never runs out of ammo, that's a powerful positive trait that isn't really answered by some other gun dealing a bit more damage.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I've been using the Diligence against bots and have been enjoying it as my chaff killer.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ice Fist posted:

I've been using the Diligence against bots and have been enjoying it as my chaff killer.

Yeah, anything that gives you more distance against bots is good. Really, I enjoy how low the bar is on viable primaries, because I've only ever really regretted bringing a couple on missions. Just last night I ran the default starter load out on a difficulty 7 mission and it wasn't bad, and the liberator really feels good; it feels like the Halo 1 rifle where a prolonged burst to down a larger foe feels like you're punching above your weight.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

d0grent posted:

Breaker: Kills stuff in your face quickly. Also runs out of ammo quickly.
Punisher: Staggers enemies to keep them out of our face, or to line up a headshot. Really good vs the Stalkers and Beserkers who want to tear your face.

Personally I prefer the stagger and single round reload of the Punisher, but the Breaker is still really good even after it was nerfed. Stagger is probably the single most useful ability to have vs Devastators

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

New warbond comes out next Thursday, old warbonds never expire and will stick around forever so you don't have to rush to finish them.

Ahhh perfect. Thanks! I thought it was a timed thing. I've never done a fps type season thing before.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Did you buy literally everything from all 3 warbonds?! I'm impressed.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Every page, about 2-5 people post about 'eagle airstrike is always one of my choices' so I went back to it and used it for a few matches. There was one bot drop that I did a direct hit on and didn't kill a single bot. It doesn't kill the big shield bots or the gundam missile devastator bots. Maybe I'm just bad at video games?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Eagle Airstrike is for fabricators facing away from you

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

redreader posted:

Every page, about 2-5 people post about 'eagle airstrike is always one of my choices' so I went back to it and used it for a few matches. There was one bot drop that I did a direct hit on and didn't kill a single bot. It doesn't kill the big shield bots or the gundam missile devastator bots. Maybe I'm just bad at video games?

it def shreds bots

got 22 kills on a bot 9 the other day with it

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

redreader posted:

Eagle air strike kills all bots except for Hulks generally survive. Tanks usually don’t survive.

The air strike is perpendicular to where you threw it. It’s probably 30 meters long but is less than 10 meters deep. Sometimes you think it’s a direct hit but it’s not.

The other problem is local terrain, the eagles always pass overhead and then drop from left to right. If there’s an obstruction on the left or if the terrain slopes off sharply, the bombs can definitely get stuck on a single point.

The other issue with bot drops is if you somehow time the air strike perfectly to land on the dropship post drop, the dropship will take all the bombs. It typically flies off smoking (or dies harmlessly) and its contents have all happily dropped off and survived. This is really hard to do even if you’re trying, but it’s possible.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Yeah, airstrike is amazing, but it doesn't achieve the total saturation of cluster bomb or airburst. It's good at everything but that limited aoe makes it really dependent on accurate placement, like the 500kg bomb.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

redreader posted:

Its a fairly thin line compared to cluster bombs, but it'll do work and the bombs it drops will happily take out big targets on direct hits

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Cluster is like the bigger and more likely to kill your fellow Helldivers version of the airstrike.

I kind of like it :unsmith:

Also the 5 uses is awesome.

Edit: Still taking the airstrike over it though :colbert:.

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 5, 2024

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

ponzicar posted:

Did you buy literally everything from all 3 warbonds?! I'm impressed.

Yep, and I'm capped on everything else

I haven't been this locked into a game since I was a kid. It helps that one of my old highschool buddies has been playing a ton also.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Hwurmp posted:

Eagle Airstrike is for fabricators facing away from you

This plus the AC deflection tactic makes bot fabs hilariously easy to shut down compared to bug holes.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

runchild posted:

This plus the AC deflection tactic makes bot fabs hilariously easy to shut down compared to bug holes.

Sniping fabricators with the AC will never get old :allears:.

Edit: Typo :smith:

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 5, 2024

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

Sniping fabricators with the AC will get old :allears:.

no it won't. it's like a game for me to see how far away i can spot one and plink it. my record is one where the vent was entirely covered up by the dot of the reticle.

i know what you meant

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Yeah, airstrike is amazing, but it doesn't achieve the total saturation of cluster bomb or airburst. It's good at everything but that limited aoe makes it really dependent on accurate placement, like the 500kg bomb.

Sure, but those two won't kill spawners. Most of my airstrikes are against enemy bases to take out spawners, any units that get killed are just a bonus. Plus since you can throw them back to back, if you have decent aim you can easily take out even a large bot base by yourself without ever needing to go inside. That it can (usually) kill a heavy is that nice extra bit of versatility that pretty much always sees me taking Eagle Airstrike on anything except an eradicate/defense mission.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Sagebrush posted:

no it won't. it's like a game for me to see how far away i can spot one and plink it. my record is one where the vent was entirely covered up by the dot of the reticle.

i know what you meant

:hai:

The load out I've been falling into (against bots) A LOT recently has been: Sickle, Brotherhood of Nod get-up (if trying, +stims), Air Strike, Laser, Orbital Railgun, AC. I feel like I can solo a poo poo ton and support my team. Both in short and long ranges.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Mesadoram posted:

Cluster is like the bigger and more likely to kill your fellow Helldivers version of the airstrike.

I kind of like it :unsmith:

Also the 5 uses is awesome.

Edit: Still taking the airstrike over it though :colbert:.

When Cluster Airstrike was the daily I think I got team killed 10 times. Definitely died more to that stratagem than bots and bugs combined.

Just had a fun mission where a pubbie Napalm Striked danger close on cooldown too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

If I am going to play with pubbies I launch a mission I want to do so I am host and can kick dumbasses.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

If I am going to play with pubbies I launch a mission I want to do so I am host and can kick dumbasses.

I just wish it was possible to hand host to someone. Feels bad when I only have enough time to do two missions and they miss out on that sweet sweet 3rd mission medal bonus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Away all Goats posted:

I just wish it was possible to hand host to someone. Feels bad when I only have enough time to do two missions and they miss out on that sweet sweet 3rd mission medal bonus
They chose to join me, their loss.