Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Which is actually kind of interesting since bush jr was pretty easily responsible for way more human suffering than trump. Sure trump completely dropped the ball on covid, but even then the US only had about 20% more per capita deaths from covid than the EU or about 200k if you attribute the entire difference (including '21 onward) to trump. trump is by all means more of a personally malicious rear end in a top hat, but his unprecedented incompetence and laziness prevented him from doing most of the terrible poo poo he talked about.

bush on the other hand unilaterally started two country-engulfing conflicts, putting 80+ million people into a state of war for decades with estimates of deaths in the high hundreds of thousands, if not millions. He is legitimately a monster who gets a pass because the media played up his aww shucks personality.

globally at least bush was seen as america.jpeg, trump was viewed more as america's id

different aspects i guess but they both captured a certain element of america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

psydude posted:

Even Nixon managed to make the EPA and normalize relations with China.

Stupid Nixon tried to normalize with Stupid China (North Korea)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Which is actually kind of interesting since bush jr was pretty easily responsible for way more human suffering than trump. Sure trump completely dropped the ball on covid, but even then the US only had about 20% more per capita deaths from covid than the EU or about 200k if you attribute the entire difference (including '21 onward) to trump. trump is by all means more of a personally malicious rear end in a top hat, but his unprecedented incompetence and laziness prevented him from doing most of the terrible poo poo he talked about.

bush on the other hand unilaterally started two country-engulfing conflicts, putting 50+ million people into a state of war for decades with estimates of deaths in the high hundreds of thousands, if not millions. He is legitimately a monster who gets a pass because the media played up his aww shucks personality.

Yeah but those dead weren’t Americans (and were brown).

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Yeah, Bush 2 was easily worse for the world overall. Trump's dipshittery was much more localized to the US, and I think it's still too soon to gauge the long term impacts versus Bush. Trump definitely helped amplify the culture war poo poo, regressive legislation, and packing the courts at all levels with just the worst human beings available, but he also had a lot of help with that and you can't pin it primarily on him and his administration the way you could argue, say, the 2008 recession with Dubya and friends.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Dubya and Trump are so loving awful we have to use special terms to describe their awfulness.

Now we all know Jimmy Carter was histories greatest monster, but Dubya is definitely doing key bumps in hell with Kissinger and Nixon before it’s all said and done.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Nixon at least had a kind of Shakespeare villain dignity to him.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

The Eyes Have It posted:

I was just looking at some old stuff from years ago and ran across comics / commentary I remember about the Bush Jr presidency. What a wild ride.

Stuff from people who very clearly considered Bush to be a total, absolute, 100% worst case scenario. The foulest of all possible outcomes; an absolute low point. Holy poo poo if they had known that in less time than they'd think they'd want to crawl across broken glass for someone even a tenth as competent as him, they'd probably have just checked out entirely.

Bush jr. was worse than Trump.

Republicans seem to exclusively elect monsters. I can't see how anyone would want more of what they've given the world.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 5, 2024

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Grip it and rip it posted:

Bush jr. was worse than Trump.

That was my position until the whole “first non-peaceful transition of power” event in the history of a nation that had a civil war.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
AI is going great folks.

The planet Earth was shot upwards of 15,000 times in an incident today for failing to cease movement when ordered to by NYPD officers.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/highbrow_nobrow/status/1775977484472787087?t=QvQphCaDPUbQX4IHDJ6uuQ&s=19

I have done a complete 180 on RFK Jr. He has to stay in the race now, until the bitter end, and also ditch that lady and pick George Santos as his running mate. America deserves nothing less.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The planet Earth was shot upwards of 15,000 times in an incident today for failing to cease movement when ordered to by NYPD officers.

but this is the most believable part

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Am I nuts or do the services seem to be on a spree of relieving field grade commanders of duty right now?

What in the wide world of gently caress is going on?

In Red Storm Rising this was a sign the ruskies were getting serious lol.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The piece of poo poo that ran my brigade was fired from his second brigade command for toxic leadership. Good riddance, wish it had happened sooner.

People came out of the woodwork on reddit about him, he had been a toxic shithead since he was a lieutenant. Who woulda thought?

I think it's the military looking at why people are leaving and seeing poor leadership as one of the most commonly cited reasons.

Edit: I cannot talk enough poo poo about field grade officers. They may not have created the lovely work culture but they have definitely contributed towards maintaining it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Mustang posted:

The piece of poo poo that ran my brigade was fired from his second brigade command for toxic leadership. Good riddance, wish it had happened sooner.

People came out of the woodwork on reddit about him, he had been a toxic shithead since he was a lieutenant. Who woulda thought?

I think it's the military looking at why people are leaving and seeing poor leadership as one of the most commonly cited reasons.

Edit: I cannot talk enough poo poo about field grade officers. They may not have created the lovely work culture but they have definitely contributed towards maintaining it.

Even among officers, they talk poo poo. The level of anger at O-6s and up that Majors have is astonishing.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

What in the wide world of gently caress is going on?

Peacetime. Peacetime is happening.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

facialimpediment posted:

Good lord, I had heard of peace, but had never lived it.

I guess a few decades of “gently caress it, just send it.” as institutional policy is leading to some spicey careers ending.

:lol:

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Good lord, I had heard of peace, but had never lived it.

I guess a few decades of “gently caress it, just send it.” as institutional policy is leading to some spicey careers ending.

:lol:

Does Peacetime mean that the up or out policy is more strictly adhered to? Like did waivers get passed around for spicy poo poo because they needed bodies for the sandboxes?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nystral posted:

Does Peacetime mean that the up or out policy is more strictly adhered to? Like did waivers get passed around for spicy poo poo because they needed bodies for the sandboxes?

I had literal felony waivers in my basic training class (2008), and a dude literally take a drunken poo poo on the floor of the cadre bathroom at OCS (then refuse to clean it up) and still graduate.

I doubt either of these things would fly now. Hell, I have doubts that I could even get in at this point.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

facialimpediment posted:

The peacetime mentality never went away. Hell it only went on hold for a few months at the start of OIF/OEF. The moment fobs started getting built up and having burger king, green bean coffee the PT belt loving cowards like Raymond Chandler went right back to their buddyfucking ways, if they ever left them behind former sergeant major of the army and future corpse chandler never did Bullet point carrerism is a large part of the reason we haven't won a war in 80 years. No one wants to rock the boat and risk their career. TTPs may have changed, leadership culture hasn't. Everyone knows the unit SHARP who's a sex pest, the unit Nazis who have 1488 or 6mwe stickers on their cars, the anti-vaxxers who wont get their flu shot but have the whole anthrax series and other malicious asskissing idiots you can't trust in a fight but who look great on paper because they've never done poo poo, never taken a risk and wouldn't know incoming fire until it ventilates their skull. Competency is punished because competent people do poo poo and make small mistakes that they learn from in training. Pencilwhip dipshits then punish them for minor poo poo while adding risk management bullet points to their own NCOERs/OERs.

The only reason bastards are getting exposed now is social media and the internet make it a lot easier for people to keep in touch and get signatures on their complaint letters before forwarding them to higher and the media. After all the worst thing you can do to leadership is embarrass them by shining a light on what they've actually done. Need to make like the early part of WW2 and purge most of the higher leadership to force a change in culture that actually cares about the right poo poo. In short, end the academy system.

Also I'd like a large fries plz.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Leaking the story to Navy Times was the only way sailors on my last boat were able to get the CO to deal with the bed bug infestation (good thing the staterooms are far away from the dirty enlisted racks!). Social Media and the internet are great ways to hold fuckhead worthless officers accountable, since the individual services sure as poo poo won't do it.

Maybe if they started imposing actual consequences on all these motherfuckers, like force retiring them at an E1 paygrade, they'd stop driving drunk, abusing junior enlisted, loving their subordinates etc. But they're all buddies so the worst that happens is they're relieved and shuffled off to somewhere they can't gently caress up too bad until they get retired out on the tax payers dime at $70k plus/yr.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

AI is going great folks.

Until this moment i had thought when people were talking about grok they meant the dumbass football player. This makes so many things people were talking about recently make more sense

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Of all the things Musk deserves to be hung upside down by his scrotum for, turning the perfectly cromulent nerd neologism "grok" into the name of a racism-enabled chatbot is solidly in the middle tier of the list imo.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

globally at least bush was seen as america.jpeg, trump was viewed more as america's id

different aspects i guess but they both captured a certain element of america

I found it amazing that despite all of the crap Trump did, I still hated Bush more until about the last few months of the Trump administration. You're right that they are both different flavors of garbage.

Bush seemed to want to impress daddy by finishing the war he started, Trump had daddy issues.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hey, Bush's wars gave a lot of us a free college education and lifelong disability payments, so that's something.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Bush's wars also contributed a lot of funding and therefore jobs, directly and indirectly, to the manufacturers of Rip It, Coors, Jack Daniels, and other beverage companies. Even Military Special probably saw a spike in sales due to self medication.

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 6, 2024

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Kazinsal posted:

Of all the things Musk deserves to be hung upside down by his scrotum for, turning the perfectly cromulent nerd neologism "grok" into the name of a racism-enabled chatbot is solidly in the middle tier of the list imo.

Everyone's in a gold rush, Nvidia is selling the pickaxes, and elon's desperately huffing iron pyrite to try and look cool.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kazinsal posted:

Grok is a very old slang term in silicone valley. We would use it inchanged with wok and rock as a silly way to describe something awesome.
This was back in the mid 90s.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Crab Dad posted:

Grok is a very old slang term in silicone valley. We would use it inchanged with wok and rock as a silly way to describe something awesome.
This was back in the mid 90s.

It's from Robert Heinlein's 1961 novel Stranger in a Strange Land and means, approximately, to comprehend and understand something or someone in the fullest way possible, as if it were consumed and made part of your person.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's from Robert Heinlein's 1961 novel Stranger in a Strange Land and means, approximately, to comprehend and understand something or someone in the fullest way possible, as if it were consumed and made part of your person.

So it's in line with Elon's use of very niche literature references to name the barges his rockets use to land.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
It hasn't exactly been forgotten since then. I don't use it often, but I've seen nerds and geeks use it on the internet as long as I've been online.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

Everyone's in a gold rush, Nvidia is selling the pickaxes, and elon's desperately huffing iron pyrite to try and look cool.

Bro is deep in the mercury vapors.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

So it's in line with Elon's use of very niche literature references to name the barges his rockets use to land.

Wikipedia has a good summary. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok?wprov=sfti1

It’s not even the first utility to be called grok, by far https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/grok.html

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Stultus Maximus posted:

Also the only way to pass on something you grok with is with an orgy.

But only in a hetero way, being gay is gay according to Heinlein.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Probably the most obnoxious use I’ve seen for it is a ‘corporate wellbeing’ app called “grokker.”

As far as I can tell it’s in the same ilk as those Amazon booths and maybe a way to spy on employees’ diaries.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

I think it’s pretty unlikely Elon ever actually read Banks; the Culture novels would give him a panic attack

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yes I’m sure that’s were it came from originally but in common usage online it was certainly being by used online in the early 90s and not the 60s.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think it’s pretty unlikely Elon ever actually read Banks; the Culture novels would give him a panic attack

I'm sure he's heard an audiobook. It's just that his level of comprehension is "cool spaceships! Cool AI!"

Crab Dad posted:

Yes I’m sure that’s were it came from originally but in common usage online it was certainly being by used online in the early 90s and not the 60s.

"I grok Spock" was a thing on t-shirts at Sci-Fi conventions back in the 70s. Edit: apparently it was also a thing during the write in campaign to save Star Trek in the late 60s.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 6, 2024

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

I'm sure he's heard an audiobook. It's just that his level of comprehension is "cool spaceships! Cool AI!"

"I grok Spock" was a thing on t-shirts at Sci-Fi conventions back in the 70s. Edit: apparently it was also a thing during the write in campaign to save Star Trek in the late 60s.

Same bunch of nerds that were getting in sweaty orgies at conventions in the 1970s were the ones on the internet in the 90s.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
every time I see grok i mmediately assume someone misspelled "gork", one of the two brother ork gods, and then i am very dissapointed in the truth of the matter. gork and mork would have no time for sweaty orgies, gork and mork have their priorities straight (fighting) hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Crab Dad posted:

The campaign to save the original Star Trek TV series handed out bumper stickers that said "I Grok Spock".

It was in common usage offline before it was in common usage online. Because prior to the early 90s, there was common usage of anything online.