Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Haven't played any of BG3 since February. Picked up where I left off in Act 2, where I was redoing some stuff because I was advised to reload a save before the section where you go to the Shadowfell and free Dame Aylin. I was able to get into Moonrise Towers and rescue the tieflings and other prisoners there, which I didn't do before. I redid Halsin's quest to save Thaniel, so that's taken care of. I'm at Level 8, so I'm higher level than I was previously. The issue I had was trying to take on Ketheric Thorm, where I realized the fight was tougher than what I thought I could handle.

I'm still not sure if I'm high enough level to do that fight. In trying to find the path where you have to play hide-and-seek with the kid as part of the Halsin quest, I ran into an encounter with a bunch of plant creatures (Needle Blights, Vine Blights, and a Shambling Mound). With the first attempt, Shadowheart got devoured by the Shambling Mound, and the rest of the party got beaten down. In the second attempt, Wyll got devoured early on in the fight, and the rest of the party wasn't doing great, so I just reloaded and ignored the encounter.

I don't know if the problem is levels, or maybe my party setup. I had my PC (Dwarf Eldritch Knight), Karlach, Shadowheart, and Wyll. My thinking right now is that specific fight, I need to switch out Shadowheart and Wyll for Lae'zel and Gale to have another frontline fighter and someone who can do more AoE spells.

Is there anything additional I should do in Moonrise Towers before going into the Shadowfell? I think I can still walk around it freely.

Is there a faster way of switching out party members apart from going back to camp and talking to party members to dismiss/add people?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Black Noise posted:

The most effective elixir would be see invisibility because even if she fails the roll a roll happening would indicate an ambush.

:hmmyes:

Finally, a use for see invisibility.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Max Wilco posted:

I don't know if the problem is levels, or maybe my party setup. I had my PC (Dwarf Eldritch Knight), Karlach, Shadowheart, and Wyll. My thinking right now is that specific fight, I need to switch out Shadowheart and Wyll for Lae'zel and Gale to have another frontline fighter and someone who can do more AoE spells.

Is there anything additional I should do in Moonrise Towers before going into the Shadowfell? I think I can still walk around it freely.

Is there a faster way of switching out party members apart from going back to camp and talking to party members to dismiss/add people?

First paragraph: any party composition is viable, it depends on how you've built characters, their loadout of equipment and spells, and the choices you make in combat. It's hard to give advice because I don't know if you're wearing bad gear or keep trying to melee fight everything or whatever else but don't forget you can drop difficulty without changing the story!

Second paragraph: if you've explored the main floor and the second floor with Balthazar's room, and the prison, you probably covered the building. Check the map and see if you have other blank spots, try to move around the black edges of the map and see if you've actually reached the borders or if there is more to see and do.

Third paragraph: I think there are mods on PC for this. But otherwise you can talk to the person you want to add to your party and while talking to them decide who they'll replace, which is slightly faster than having to talk to someone to boot and then go get your new party remember (how it used to work)

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Good stuff. I'm at the tail end of act 2 in my current run and I'm level 9 for what it's worth. I did most stuff, but not *everything*, because it's my first deep honor mode attempt and I am being a wuss avoiding unnecessary risks. Google tells me people have hit 10 before the final bosses but that feels like you must have scraped up every crumb of XP possible. 9 is a decent target imo. If you're not there, make sure

1. You've explored the whole map. I will say that the shambling mound guy sucks rear end, it's totally optional and weirdly hard. That's something I'm just skipping on honor mode heh. But other than that there are some random encounters and quests all throughout the shadow lands and the dead town. Have you done the bosses in House of Healing, the bar, and the Tollhouse? Some other easy to miss things are the basement under the Inn / the deep shadow cursed building right across the way. They connect undergorund, there's some monsters and loot. Northeast of the Grand Mausoleum there's a bunch of fish men you can kill. Mason's guild building in dead town. Puzzle to open the Shar statue in the dead town where you fight Thaniel. There’s a morgue full of zombies west of the house of healing. Way up north-central there's the weird raven elf who wants a book from the bar in town.

2. Miss anything in act 1? I'm not going to list everything out but there's a huge rear end reddit post that does (massive spoilers obviously) https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/15o0ye9/spoilers_checklist_of_things_to_do_before_leaving/. Act 1 is enormous, there's a lot of stuff one could miss. You can return to almost all of it still until you hit the Act 2 point of no return.

3. Most of the companions come with questionable builds by default. People can and do beat the game without ever respeccing. But if you're having a hard time, go ahead and redo them. Any odd number stats are wasted for example, you want 14 or 16 of Charisma or whatever not 15. Shadowheart and Astarion among others default to like the worst possible specialization of their class. Etc.

4. Hit up vendors, did you miss any killer loot?

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 5, 2024

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

That plant ambush fight really can be an absurd out of the blue difficulty spike lol

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

SlimGoodbody posted:

That plant ambush fight really can be an absurd out of the blue difficulty spike lol
The lasso monsters by the Harper ambush were the closest I came to a team wipe on Normal. Being able to split up the party and drag them into shadow damage was rough.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zodium posted:

becoming the most powerful adhd guy in faerun ftw

Many pages ago, but seeing this acronym in a DnD thread made me think “Advanced Dungeons and Hyperactive Disorders.”

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
wait wait wait

Is … is Scratch bringing me back weapons I threw during combat? How did I not know he did this!? What a good boy!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Geekboy posted:

wait wait wait

Is … is Scratch bringing me back weapons I threw during combat? How did I not know he did this!? What a good boy!

Oh my god, I've gotta throw more weapons! What a good dog

EDIT: Wait, does this mean he's gonna break into Moonrise prison to get that gnome's special hammer for me? :D Since I originally tossed him a torch for his breakout, before finding+tossing him his hammer, which he ignored. Since if so, hahaha excellent!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

The lasso monsters by the Harper ambush were the closest I came to a team wipe on Normal. Being able to split up the party and drag them into shadow damage was rough.

Every arcane caster should have Light as a cantrip for this reason. With Light, the glowing underdark ring, and the Blood of Lathander that's three light sources that follow your characters.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

God drat it. Lost a promising honor run on the end boss of act 2. I don't even know what I could have done differently. It was over within about 2 turns once phase 2 began. He deleted the NPC and my cleric the instant he spawned and then it was just a slow grind toward the inevitable. Got lulled into a false sense of security cause everything else in act 2 was a joke.

We go again etc but that was demoralizing. I annihilated this boss on tactician but this felt like a different encounter. I'm sure there's a "simply do X idiot" strat I will need to study for next time.

e: also for some reason my monk could never take an action but I couldn't find a debuff on him that was causing this??? :iiam: He got 1 bonus action then turn over. When I'm counting on him for like 4 high damage attacks a turn, that sucks! Gonna go drink a beer and think about my life choices.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 5, 2024

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

my favorite part is the guy who drags you into a room filled with traps and a tripwire on the door

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Way late on the no DLC news but that's a bummer. I enjoyed the Divinity Series but I'm not sure I want to see more of it. Not that BG3 is the most serious of games but I prefer more that style of game as far as writing goes. The Divinity series I enjoyed purely for its gameplay but the story elements weren't enough for me to really bother with replaying them. Games like BG3 that have both compelling stories and good gameplay are the ones that keep me coming back.

So I hope if they run off and develop a new IP that they take more of a BG3 approach with their characters/writing than a Divinity one. The Divinity tone just never quite hit for me tbh.

I trust them to have good gameplay either way. They're good at that. Divinity was still fun. But BG3 was so much better for me because it added that story/character hook that Divinity (for me) lacked.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

God drat it. Lost a promising honor run on the end boss of act 2. I don't even know what I could have done differently. It was over within about 2 turns once phase 2 began. He deleted the NPC and my cleric the instant he spawned and then it was just a slow grind toward the inevitable. Got lulled into a false sense of security cause everything else in act 2 was a joke.

We go again etc but that was demoralizing. I annihilated this boss on tactician but this felt like a different encounter. I'm sure there's a "simply do X idiot" strat I will need to study for next time.

drat, that's rough. I strongly recommend bringing a life domain cleric with luminous armor (underdark selune temple), hellrider's pride (quest reward or pickpocket from zevlor) and the whispering promise (open trade with volo with the lower left ui button the first time you speak to him in the grove) if you're struggling with honor mode. max con and take war caster so you can run spirits, and chuck awareness elixirs. you'll have permanent blade ward and bless on everyone which are refreshed with powerful aoe heals you regain on short rest, and the enemies will have their attack chances significantly reduced. you will not die.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

For HM Ketheric it's important to have a clean transition to phase 2 (not a lot of melee clumped up, not a lot of death vessels active) so that you don't get wiped on that first scythe sweep. You want to have at least one character with strong ranged options so that your party isn't running all over the map trying to kill the incubators, and you want to keep your melee attackers spread out. Let them run in and out of the aura to heal up if they need to. Having a Light Cleric more or less trivializes this fight as they can turn Undead while dealing radiant AOE damage and stacking radiant orbs on the boss all at the same time.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

I usually pick up 2 scrolls of conjure elemental so I can use elemental warp to get around fast and deal with the incubators.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Appreciate the input. I did have a light cleric Shart but she literally died from full health on round 1 along with Aylin and it was all over. On tactician I was able to ignore the various adds and just nuke the boss in a couple turns. But it seems like you absolutely cannot do that on HM

Party was bard double crossbow Tav, Monk/Rogue Astarion, Throwbarb Karlach, Light cleric Shart. Had been steamrolling everything so I was not prepared for this at all

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Docjowles posted:

Appreciate the input. I did have a light cleric Shart but she literally died from full health on round 1 along with Aylin and it was all over. On tactician I was able to ignore the various adds and just nuke the boss in a couple turns. But it seems like you absolutely cannot do that on HM

Party was bard double crossbow Tav, Monk/Rogue Astarion, Throwbarb Karlach, Light cleric Shart. Had been steamrolling everything so I was not prepared for this at all

Note if you get aylin out of the gently caress zone she will get back up and ketheric, much like his country cousins, can simply be told to kill himself and will oblige on a pretty easy DC

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

there's not much reason to go light cleric over life on hm. the preserve life ability with hellrider's and whispering promise is so strong, I think it might be mathematically impossible to die.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Zodium posted:

there's not much reason to go light cleric over life on hm. the preserve life ability with hellrider's and whispering promise is so strong, I think it might be mathematically impossible to die.

Is preserve life just for spreading bless / blade ward around? Couldn't you just use mass healing word instead? Light Cleric's aoe radiant attack would synergize better with the luminous armor's effect also, no?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The general idea behind Light Cleric is that you wear Radiant Armor + Gloves of Illumination with the two light rings you can get from Act 2 to pop Spirit Guardians and automatically inflict 10 turns of Orb on everything in range. Enemies effectively need to roll a 30 to have any chance of hitting you, and you can run through them for even more retaliation damage. You also get all the fun caster spells like Fireball and Flamestrike and can nuke while having 24AC. It's completely busted.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Randallteal posted:

Is preserve life just for spreading bless / blade ward around? Couldn't you just use mass healing word instead? Light Cleric's aoe radiant attack would synergize better with the luminous armor's effect also, no?

life cleric is so good for hm because of convenience and consistency. preserve life will refresh on a short rest, so you can just drop it all the time without thinking, and you still get radiating orbs on top. the difference is "you will not die" vs. "you will not die, unless the enemy gets lucky or you get lazy."

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Zodium posted:

drat, that's rough. I strongly recommend bringing a life domain cleric with luminous armor (underdark selune temple), hellrider's pride (quest reward or pickpocket from zevlor) and the whispering promise (open trade with volo with the lower left ui button the first time you speak to him in the grove) if you're struggling with honor mode. max con and take war caster so you can run spirits, and chuck awareness elixirs. you'll have permanent blade ward and bless on everyone which are refreshed with powerful aoe heals you regain on short rest, and the enemies will have their attack chances significantly reduced. you will not die.

This doesn't work with the boss who ended his run because of his Bone Chill aura which prevents healing. On honor, that boss is a DPR check. Radiant orbs are good there but any of the on-heal effects are pretty worthless when you can't heal.

What you really need is a way to manage Frightened (so still a cleric, just with Calm Emotions prepared), potentially resistance to necrotic damage, ideally a way to debuff the boss, and a shitload of burst damage; you do not want that fight to drag on at all. In an ideal world you've got a tanky summon to eat his Gaze of the Dead legendary action every round, too, because it can get pretty debilitating.

For that fight I'd also recommend a cleric, but I'd lean toward Light domain and give them the luminous armour, the holy lance helm, blood of lathander, callous glow ring, and coruscation ring for maximum orb generation and radiant damage plus the ability to Sanctuary anyone who's in trouble (including the NPC ally!!), potentially the gloves, boots, and amulet that apply reverberation as well. I'd also bring a caster that can throw down a Darkness on the boss (with 10 stacks of orbs and disadvantage from blindness he's swinging at you with effectively a -15ish penalty on rhe attack) and a scroll to summon an elemental, a fighter (or swords bard) that can disarm his scythe and provide consistent damage to his weaker minions, and a monk or paladin to burst him down before he can start eating necromites. Potions of invisibility for everyone to reposition and drop aggro as needed.

I think he's probably the toughest fight in honour mode full stop simply because there's no way to bail if the fight goes against you, so he's more likely to end your run than anything else. Like some of the Act 3 ones are harder fights and bullshit in some way or another but you can always just leave if you make sure you've got a line of retreat. Not so here.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Job #1 is kill that drat mind flayer. Then keep killing adds while using a summon to tank the legendary action and you’re set.

You don’t need any specific class for that fight, but calm emotions is definitely handy.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

GHOST_BUTT posted:

This doesn't work with the boss who ended his run because of his Bone Chill aura which prevents healing. On honor, that boss is a DPR check. Radiant orbs are good there but any of the on-heal effects are pretty worthless when you can't heal.

What you really need is a way to manage Frightened (so still a cleric, just with Calm Emotions prepared), potentially resistance to necrotic damage, ideally a way to debuff the boss, and a shitload of burst damage; you do not want that fight to drag on at all. In an ideal world you've got a tanky summon to eat his Gaze of the Dead legendary action every round, too, because it can get pretty debilitating.

For that fight I'd also recommend a cleric, but I'd lean toward Light domain and give them the luminous armour, the holy lance helm, blood of lathander, callous glow ring, and coruscation ring for maximum orb generation and radiant damage plus the ability to Sanctuary anyone who's in trouble (including the NPC ally!!), potentially the gloves, boots, and amulet that apply reverberation as well. I'd also bring a caster that can throw down a Darkness on the boss (with 10 stacks of orbs and disadvantage from blindness he's swinging at you with effectively a -15ish penalty on rhe attack) and a scroll to summon an elemental, a fighter (or swords bard) that can disarm his scythe and provide consistent damage to his weaker minions, and a monk or paladin to burst him down before he can start eating necromites. Potions of invisibility for everyone to reposition and drop aggro as needed.

I think he's probably the toughest fight in honour mode full stop simply because there's no way to bail if the fight goes against you, so he's more likely to end your run than anything else. Like some of the Act 3 ones are harder fights and bullshit in some way or another but you can always just leave if you make sure you've got a line of retreat. Not so here.

you will have neither orbs, blade ward nor heals when your light cleric dies in the first round of phase 2, which is what docjowles said happened. once you've survived to round 2, you will have built up 10 radiating orbs. he isn't hard if you don't build tactician glass cannons. if you need more dpr, improve one of your other builds instead of trying to eke out a little more on your cleric.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The orb generating ring on a wizard can inflict 2 orb stacks per magic missile, you can get him up to maximum orb stacks in a single cast.

Another good emergency option is to get Gale killed at some point so you can do his little resurrection quest to get the super resurrection scroll, then just revive him via Withers or with an ordinary scroll of revivify, letting you keep the true resurrection scroll. It brings back a dead party member with maximum health, so they’re less likely to die again instantly.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Mzbundifund posted:

The orb generating ring on a wizard can inflict 2 orb stacks per magic missile, you can get him up to maximum orb stacks in a single cast.

drat that's a good idea. you could even use magic missile scrolls or the ne'er misser or whatever. stealing this

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

For HM Ketheric it's important to have a clean transition to phase 2 (not a lot of melee clumped up, not a lot of death vessels active) so that you don't get wiped on that first scythe sweep. You want to have at least one character with strong ranged options so that your party isn't running all over the map trying to kill the incubators, and you want to keep your melee attackers spread out. Let them run in and out of the aura to heal up if they need to. Having a Light Cleric more or less trivializes this fight as they can turn Undead while dealing radiant AOE damage and stacking radiant orbs on the boss all at the same time.

My tav got downed in the first phase and then on the switch to phase 2 it became impossible to get him back up due to the bone chill. I even had everyone stop attacking to try and get him back up before the phase 2 change but Aylin finished Keth off. I think I got him back up by emptying his inventory and having Laez chuck him out of the effect but by then it was too late and I'd just missed too many turns of DPS to recover.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Imagine not using your wizard/sorcerer as a magic missile machine smh

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It cost me an entire evening to even get from the Hag's Hut to her lair with a party ready to fight (gently caress that tunnel) only to get thoroughly annihilated, and then I had to stop. Gonna try again tonight.

I might be bad at this game

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

EorayMel posted:

Imagine not using your wizard/sorcerer as a magic missile machine smh

I can't stop casting it, even when I have better spells available. Guaranteed damage without line of sight is amazing catharsis for all the times BG3 has X-Com'd me or given me a "path is interrupted".

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

wish the missiles had more of an "oomph" to them, right now they feel like little pebbles that can kill people who are at low hp

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

wish the missiles had more of an "oomph" to them, right now they feel like little pebbles that can kill people who are at low hp leave people at 1 HP

Every time.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Martian posted:

It cost me an entire evening to even get from the Hag's Hut to her lair with a party ready to fight (gently caress that tunnel) only to get thoroughly annihilated, and then I had to stop. Gonna try again tonight.

I might be bad at this game
Have you tried bursting her down in her hut? It’s possible at level 4 if you can get an extra half turn by stopping her teleport escape with Drow poison or something else that cancels her action.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

This is why you always get Cull the Weak with an MM build.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

thinking about doing a solo run until the next full patch hits so I can do a modded run. thinking 8 tb barbarian into 1 fighter/1 wizard/10 sword bard, but not sure which race .. halfling? duergar?

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Shumagorath posted:

Have you tried bursting her down in her hut? It’s possible at level 4 if you can get an extra half turn by stopping her teleport escape with Drow poison or something else that cancels her action.

I did think of that (though not about the how yet) but figured it's best to do things somewhat the way you're 'supposed' to as this is my first run. That might not be the best mindset for this game though.

Edit: got her, potions of speed are awesome :)

Martian fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 5, 2024

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

The voice acting in this game is so loving good and perfectly cast. These characters are so fully formed and well written and unique. I love them so much, how did Larian do this??

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SlimGoodbody posted:

The voice acting in this game is so loving good and perfectly cast. These characters are so fully formed and well written and unique. I love them so much, how did Larian do this??

Time and money. And effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

They had the time and resources to do what a lot of game developers can’t or won’t with their voice cast. They had an extended early access period that allowed the actors to record and re-record their parts over several years, many of them in the same room which is a rarity in video games, solid writing, and good direction. From what I’ve seen and read about BG3’s development, the actors had an uncommon level of influence on the writers and performance directors themselves, since the tracks were still being laid down when most of them signed on. Of course that doesn’t take away from some particularly inspired performances.