Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hah, neat, if you're quick enough you can grab the Sphinx and ride with her to her second spot. Took about 5-6+ full stamina bars to hold on that whole way, and she takes a really roundabout route, but it was very cool and scenic.

Then I hosed up the sphinx riddles a second time because I didn't realize that one dude in checkpoint rest town had a toothless twin :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Hah, neat, if you're quick enough you can grab the Sphinx and ride with her to her second spot. Took about 5-6+ full stamina bars to hold on that whole way, and she takes a really roundabout route, but it was very cool and scenic.

Then I hosed up the sphinx riddles a second time because I didn't realize that one dude in checkpoint rest town had a toothless twin :negative:

Should have taken a closer look at the name. And their hair.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Magmarashi posted:

Iunno about you but I like to play the game instead of having to stop to hit a shield spell every 5 seconds, that thing has MISERABLE uptime to be talking it up like that

It's literally "my character and every ally nearby is immune to all damage and all status effects" the competing moves other classes have are all "enter a stance and if something directly hits me from head on in the window I counter/block it," and/or massive stamina drains.

The bubble can fully negate the need to bring tanks and/or healers. I think all of that outweighs having to push a different button every 5 seconds in your rotation.
I can see someone saying it makes combat that's already not a challenge boring, or that it's completely unbalanced, but it's just bananas to say people are hyping it up too much.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone figured out what's the best smithing type for damage for enchanted stuff? They usually have a mix between strength and magic stats on the base.

Magmarashi posted:

Iunno about you but I like to play the game instead of having to stop to hit a shield spell every 5 seconds, that thing has MISERABLE uptime to be talking it up like that

Oh I agree, it's completely unfun to use. It does make you and your entire team literally invincible though

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Magmarashi posted:

It's incredibly sad to see it happen

I know "haha youtubers lying for clickbait" and all but Sterling was one of the holdouts against that sort of poo poo for so long. Being intentionally caustic for attention, sure, but not bold faced lying about poo poo. She fell the gently caress off.

Sterling is utterly insufferable op, always has been.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Tarezax posted:

Should have taken a closer look at the name. And their hair.

Yeah :negative:

I can't get over how the first time I hosed up the riddles because she asked how many she'd asked me so far, and I had the right answer, but I apparently didn't put the statues in the right place or something. Oh well, I'm not loading an inn save or starting another NG or NG+ for it. I'll probably wait til the DLC comes out, then try again after beating that.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Can I get my pawns to just shut the gently caress up?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Yates posted:

Yep, it's under sound options iirc. Pawn voices.

And under interface options you can turn off their subtitles too

Speaking of, i turned off the minimap and traversal is so much better without it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Yates posted:

Yes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There is supposed to be an Aphonite specialization that makes your pawn mostly silent, but I've never seen it in the wild.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

There is supposed to be an Aphonite specialization that makes your pawn mostly silent, but I've never seen it in the wild.

I've only seen it on pawns from riftstones where that's the gimmick

Imagine wanting your pawns to talk less, tho

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I genuinely enjoy a lot of the pawn lines and VA this time, it just sucks how much they repeat things long after it makes sense (calling out notes you literally just read, identifying the same ladder in the town square every time, statues you already visited, proposing how to get up a gap that you just jumped down going the other way, etc)

I can’t bring myself to turn them off because there’s so much more character in the actual voice acting for pawns than in DD1, like I’m doing the vernworth quests to get dirt on Disa and my pawn comments on Disa’s correspondence with someone from battahl having a “romantic tint,” spoken with a comically rolled R and followed by “ehhh?”

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Turns out the Spearhand shield isn't *totally* unstoppable. Dullahan screams will drop you on your rear end right through the shield, and it'll wear off before you can stand back up. Also I think the Medusa can petrify you through it if you make no attempt to avoid the very obvious gaze attack.

A handful of exceptions don't stop it from being broken as hell, of course.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

There's just the one, and it's in an area you never really need to go close to for the main quest.
There's.... also no sidequests that take you there, now that I think about it

Sorta is, The Statue Quest wants you to petrify a griffin.

parara
Apr 9, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I've seen it on one pawn I was interested in hiring and quit that menu so fast.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Really tempted to use that rebalance mod for my second go-round, but also don't know a ton about DD modding and I'm worried future updates might make my modded save unstable. This mod just edits .ini files right?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thundarr posted:

Turns out the Spearhand shield isn't *totally* unstoppable. Dullahan screams will drop you on your rear end right through the shield, and it'll wear off before you can stand back up. Also I think the Medusa can petrify you through it if you make no attempt to avoid the very obvious gaze attack.

A handful of exceptions don't stop it from being broken as hell, of course.

Yeah the shield will block damage but some effects aren't damage. The drake move where they fly up and slam back down can sometimes still stagger you even with the bubble up (you won't take any damage if it lands on you though).

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Kild posted:

Sorta is, The Statue Quest wants you to petrify a griffin.

I just kept putting the griffin to sleep with soporific arrow until Fulvio was satisfied.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I ran around for a few minutes while telling my pawns to wait until the griffin got bored and flew off. Maybe I should've hit it more to keep it interested or burnt its wings?

Dude said he could probably finish the sketch from memory, he seemed like a professional I'm sure he'd know what he's doing.

Was funny when the sculpture got unveiled and everyone laughed. Get owned, nerd. Shame I never got paid but by that point in the game who needs money anyway?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Novasol posted:

I just kept putting the griffin to sleep with soporific arrow until Fulvio was satisfied.

Yeah he mentions it as an option, but it's not the only one, you can just stall the griffin for a while too. He also doesn't actually tell you where to find the Medusa, just that "hey I've heard you can petrify things with a medusa head". There are various hints scattered around the game about where she is but nothing ever explicitly points you there (although once you're in the area it's pretty obvious she's nearby what with all the "statues" around).

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah :negative:

I can't get over how the first time I hosed up the riddles because she asked how many she'd asked me so far, and I had the right answer, but I apparently didn't put the statues in the right place or something. Oh well, I'm not loading an inn save or starting another NG or NG+ for it. I'll probably wait til the DLC comes out, then try again after beating that.

they just kinda have to be around the pedestal as far as i know, and she very helpfully shows you how many riddles you've solved if you just Take A Look

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Really tempted to use that rebalance mod for my second go-round, but also don't know a ton about DD modding and I'm worried future updates might make my modded save unstable. This mod just edits .ini files right?

These kinds of mods don't affect your savefiles. You can turn them on/off at will.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I'm disappointed by how normal the "failed" sculpture looks. For the reaction it gets you'd think it ended up like that hosed up lion taxidermy or something, but it seemed fine to me. I don't even remember how it differs from the successful one from my first playthrough. It wouldn't surprise me if they were exactly the same.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Vargs posted:

I'm disappointed by how normal the "failed" sculpture looks. For the reaction it gets you'd think it ended up like that hosed up lion taxidermy or something, but it seemed fine to me. I don't even remember how it differs from the successful one from my first playthrough. It wouldn't surprise me if they were exactly the same.

it's vibes based sculpturing

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Vargs posted:

I'm disappointed by how normal the "failed" sculpture looks. For the reaction it gets you'd think it ended up like that hosed up lion taxidermy or something, but it seemed fine to me.

Rich people being stupid, what else is new. Brine them.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

These kinds of mods don't affect your savefiles. You can turn them on/off at will.

Sick, does anyone have a link handy?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Sick, does anyone have a link handy?

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/300

The creator of the mod said that they're planning on releasing a separate 2.0 version later this week though.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
endgame spoilers

I like how you can murder Allard in the town square in front of everyone and the only reaction anyone has is "well was that necessary? anyways you can have all my carts, thanks"

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

CharlestonJew posted:

endgame spoilers

I like how you can murder Allard in the town square in front of everyone and the only reaction anyone has is "well was that necessary? anyways you can have all my carts, thanks"

I was struggling with how to resolve this without chopping his head off and then remembered you can tackle him, not that he deserves any mercy but I was worried about breaking the quest

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Vargs posted:

Yeah, I had my pawns "wait" and then just ran around the griffin for a couple minutes until the guy was happy with it, but I guess the fact it was bouncing around made it hard to study so I "failed" the quest. But like, the sculpture looked fine? It looked cool? It was a guy fightin a griffin! I'd love to have that in my house! (well, I wouldn't have room for something like that, but sculptures are neat)

pfft, whatever man. Next time I'll try the sleep arrow or medusa head.

I failed the poison guy quest on my first playthrough as well, still haven't done it again. I was looking around and didn't see him nearby when fighting the chimera, so I shrugged and killed it. I don't know what I was expecting and he appropriately admonished me for not waiting until it poisoned him, but he was like... Idk cowering in the back or something. Maybe next time I'll carry his rear end straight into the snake's maw if he's too cowardly to do it himself.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I had to reload 3+ times for the final part of the poison quest, and it made me realize just how infrequently the snake uses the poison attack.

parara
Apr 9, 2010
Any Trickster tips? I know some people in this thread have made it work, and I just picked it up so I'd like to level it to a place where it's at least usable.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

parara posted:

Any Trickster tips? I know some people in this thread have made it work, and I just picked it up so I'd like to level it to a place where it's at least usable.

Get to level 3 to pick up the boost skill, then it's just running around while occasionally casting the boost on your pawns, and repositoning your fart ghost

That's more or less everything there is to Trickster

If you're feeling extra fancy you can pick up some stuff and throw it around

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 5, 2024

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah, you can try to play into the floor/wall gimmicks or the whole "it tanks stuff" thing but honestly once you get the aggro mist, just use that and run around while your pawns kill stuff. I'd maybe place my mist-copy at the start but I didn't really bother with it otherwise.

It's really underbaked. It has some good augments but once I finished leveling it and switched to another vocation it was like taking a breath of fresh air in comparison.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you get the gold censer from the sphinx, you can also make some serious money. Best money grinding method in the game

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The trickster ult dragon illusion can also stagger large monsters for a pretty long time, giving your pawns lots of time to go nuts on them. But yeah there's not actually a lot to trickster, all the fancy stuff you can do is slower than just buffing your pawns and letting them kill things while you have your ghost tank things.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

parara posted:

Summon your ghost, use the basic AOE smoke spreader you get at rank 1 to make things angry at the ghost, then run around tapping R1 occasionally to summon the ghost to you. Monsters will run around trying to attack the ghost but they can't because you keep moving it. If it takes some damage, hold R1 and run around a bit more and it'll heal up quickly.

Or if there's multiple monsters, you can hold R1 and press triangle to attach your ghost to one of them. Ideally, the monster whose stacks are easier to avoid. Everything will attack that monster until it's dead. Then you can go back to moving the ghost, or attach it to something else.

When you get it, also use the ability that buffs your pawns. It's a pretty big buff and the damage they take while it's up is negligible.

Just remember to keep your ghost up at all times and avoid taking incidental damage. If you get hit, your ghost goes away and everything will want to kill you, so getting a safe opening to make another ghost may be tricky.

At some point you'll get jumped by two big monsters at once, and then you can make one punch the other for you and it turns out big monsters can do really big damage to each other.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The trickster ult dragon illusion can also stagger large monsters for a pretty long time, giving your pawns lots of time to go nuts on them. But yeah there's not actually a lot to trickster, all the fancy stuff you can do is slower than just buffing your pawns and letting them kill things while you have your ghost tank things.

I think the fancy stuff is how you're supposed to entertain yourself while waiting for the pawns to kill stuff because the actual tanking doesn't require that much upkeep.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Big trickster tip: Much like how the pathfinding AI is pretty rough for your pawns in any type of unusual terrain, the same goes for enemies. Put up a big illusory wall or two, smack an enemy with the censor (or use your aggro ability) to get them to target your clone, and watch as they helplessly try to navigate to the clone while your pawns wail on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I need some help with the end of the game, I stabbed myself in the heart while riding the dragon and got to the unmoored world, evacuated everyone, then closed all the red portals, pleasantly surprised that there were new boss enemies in the world, but now I have no quests left, nothing to do and I read I should see a final red portal at the seafloor shrine, but nothing is popping up. Is there something else I need to do to trigger this?