Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

the thing that gives me some pause about murdering the corpse retrievers is that yes, they essentially played the part of bandits to kabru's party there, but also they do do the job they're supposed to. and it's a very important job. kabru wouldn't be alive to kill them if they hadn't revived him after the treasure bugs thing.

they extort their clientele and when someone doesn't quite die in the dungeon they give them a push to get their paycheck. these are pretty bad things and i have no tears shed for them, but it is a little different from being a murderer with the full weight that carries to us, people who live in a context where resurrection is not a real and commonplace phenomena.

they're the equivalent of, idk, ambulance drivers who make you pay up front before they let you in and occasionally secretly get someone's leg broken when business is down. extrajudicial murder from the guy whose leg they just tried to break may be justified, i guess, but it's at least unsettling to watch.

Kabru and his party are not dead the first time the corpse retrievers find them, just paralyzed. The corpse retrievers then lied and said they did revive them (I am assuming they mean back from the dead meaning of revive) and then intentionally withheld the info that they were paralyzed by treasure bugs.

I am going to make another assumption that whoever was the last man/woman/dog standing in the illusionary fishman fight was going to be killed by the corpse retrievers. The other party was standing right next to them and they'd need to cover their tracks that they instigated the fight.

I would say the dungeon's quirk of allowing resurrection is the only reason this group of corpse retrievers doesn't outright murder people and take their stuff because it's more profitable running this racket. If Kabru let them live his party would be in danger of permadeath because I don't think that group would let their secret get to the surface. Theyd try to arrange another "accident" to keep their racket going.

But yea Kabru's quick murder and then summary execution was unsettling as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Asterite34 posted:

A werewolf girlfriend would kinda track, yeah

Yeah, I view Laios as someone who is so into monsters that any possible romance would have to go through that route. It's infinitely easier to see him with an orc, or a werewolf, or a mermaid, or a lamia then with another tall man or an elf. And even there, I think it would be more about him having no idea about personal space, privacy or tact and the other party taking it as an attempt of romance. Something like "this weird tall man is extremely curious and excited about how I reproduce, he got to be flirting with me, right?".

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I'm also really anxious that there is going to be a dark Underworld Food Taboo twist. Dungeon food is so load with magical radiation that you either become dependent on it or you start becoming what you eat. I would be a lovely acid trip guide, but I'm confident I could get us through a katabatic trip.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Marsupial Ape posted:

I'm also really anxious that there is going to be a dark Underworld Food Taboo twist. Dungeon food is so load with magical radiation that you either become dependent on it or you start becoming what you eat. I would be a lovely acid trip guide, but I'm confident I could get us through a katabatic trip.

Laios: "Wow, this is neat!"

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Laois is a Dinosaur Boy about monsters. I am a Dinosaur Boy about antiquity. The gods made us what we are and we honor them with how we unnerve our peers.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

I personally wouldn’t have killed the gnome guy because I think he’s cute

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Gnomes and half-footmen developed what we would call neoteny from selection pressure due to proximity to tall-man populations. Tall-men simply have a hard time murdering what their brains register as children.

I am high and full of poo poo.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

DamnitGannet posted:

yeah I like how Holm is always :3

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plant MONSTER. posted:

after watching the episode Kabru is bad

Oh sure, go ahead and judge a guy just because he murders people and is obsessively stalking the protagonist!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

DamnitGannet posted:

side content that wont be in the anime so dont worry bout spoilers
but he has a sister who gets around

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh sure, go ahead and judge a guy just because he murders people and is obsessively stalking the protagonist!

Kissing Rin also shows he needs to review HR codes and practices. Sexual harassment ain't it, Kabru.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I like Kabru's party a lot for the added dimension they bring to the story, and for being a good representation of PC morality in practice - the bandit guy giving Kabru the trident to kill one of his own sat poorly with his companions as underhanded, but Kabru murdering all of the bandits (including presumably the unconscious ones) was a relief for them. It's the sort of extremely pragmatic action players take easily while sitting around a gaming table but you can imagine how it would look like in person.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Popo posted:

Kissing Rin also shows he needs to review HR codes and practices. Sexual harassment ain't it, Kabru.

Sadly, the HR codes were written by his party members, and at least one of them put "kissing Kabru" as a basic human right.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

your coworker doing an extremely bad job of hiding her crush on you is not license to do that out of the blue, certainly

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

The kobold should be in Laois's party. It'd be good for both of them.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Killing the corpse retrieval bandits may have come off as harsh but then again, we’re operating under the same conditions as someone who flies a white flag under false pretenses or sounds a fake SOS as bait. Your crime isn’t just that you hosed some specific people over, you’re undermining the whole honor code the wild west system you’re in runs on. What happens when people start hearing rumors about crooked corpse retrievers and start attacking them in the dungeon? The whole system would fall apart.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Popo posted:

doesn't count if you look like a fish to the other person

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
By the by, Kabru's whole annoying Sherlock Holmes schtick has an actual name in literary convention: ratiocination

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/wanderjegson/status/1776335831306731956?t=KFTz3dBhuoOvjxLzPzikRA&s=19

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The way I see it, this episode showcases how Ryoko Kui has a pretty great sense of theory of mind with how she writes Kabru and his crew. We, the audience, have seen how Laios and his party act and know they're a trustworthy bunch of doofuses. But Kabru's crew doesn't know them personally and are working off of hearsay and rumors. Factor in how they think the loot they got from the treasure box was stolen (not knowing part of those were treasure bugs and Senshi threw the real ones away) or how they think their food rations got stolen (not knowing the grain was already floating in the water), and you can see why they'd view Laios's group with distrust. Hell, as soon as Laios got Falin back, Chilchuck was already asking him what he plans to do to make some cash, so from the perspective of Kabru's party it must be very annoying to be financially drained after chasing those thieves to see them brought to justice.

Another thing that I thought about was Kabru's view about Laios and Falin just giving money to their ex-party members. Remember Chilchuck's lesson to Marcille in an earlier episode about how you should be more wary of adventurers who say they'll help out without asking for anything in return. Dungeon Meshi paints the adventurer community as a small circle with a somewhat transactional relationship. Giving ex-party members who are heavily injured some gold to support themselves is understandable. Giving them gold when they're perfectly fine is seen as odd. Add in how Kabru notes how those ex-party members use the money to fund their illegal business, and someone who doesn't know Laios and Falin very well may think that they're up to no good.

Now it's hard to like Kabru after he sounds so... gatekeep-y on who can or cannot conquer the dungeon, but I can see why him and his friends would think they're justified to not like Laios's group very much.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Marsupial Ape posted:

By the by, Kabru's whole annoying Sherlock Holmes schtick has an actual name in literary convention: ratiocination

Maybe the reason why I didn't mind that this episode is because I'm a math-brained nerd that actually enjoys Sherlock Holmes and Foundation and stories with this kind of thing.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Marsupial Ape posted:

edit: if you think about it, the only 'ethical' way to resurrect a person who dies in the dungeon is with animal matter from the dungeon. Keep the emergently complex system closed.

Ah! Good idea! Animal matter like red dragons! Nothing bad can happen!

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

I was just about to post this. Glad I checked. And yes, I laughed.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Maybe the reason why I didn't mind that this episode is because I'm a math-brained nerd that actually enjoys Sherlock Holmes and Foundation and stories with this kind of thing.

It's pretty popular in general. Competent people showing off how they're competent is one of the big pleasures of detective fiction. Kabru's just being very competent against our protagonists, so there's more complicated emotions in play.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sherlock Holmes would also get his rear end kicked by magical monsters

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Arc Hammer posted:

Sherlock Holmes would also get his rear end kicked by magical monsters

Sherlock and Watson hosed up the Hound of the Baskervilles, they're no slouches when it comes to monster slaying :colbert:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Sherlock and Watson hosed up the Hound of the Baskervilles, they're no slouches when it comes to monster slaying :colbert:

Last I checked the Hound was just a normal dog.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

MonsterEnvy posted:

Last I checked the Hound was just a normal dog.

Not true.

It was a BIG dog, painted with phosphorous :colbert:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A 'monster' is just a delicious animal you haven't properly examined yet, everyone in this thread should be aware of that. :v:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Kabru thinks he's so smart and his little sycophant group thinks he should be king of the dungeon, but he sucks at fighting monsters and his part doesn't have an oni or any ninja.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Clearly they're bad guys so its okay for bad things to happen to them. Look at how filthy and unshaven they are.

Unlike Shuro he's unshaven for different reasons.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Synthbuttrange posted:

Clearly they're bad guys so its okay for bad things to happen to them. Look at how filthy and unshaven they are.

Unlike Shuro he's unshaven for different reasons.

what about senshi. He was so dirty magic didnt work on him

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hihohe posted:

was dirty but now he's silky.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Baptized, if you will.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Hihohe posted:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

https://x.com/eldhug/status/1754141313648185788

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I love how fussy anime fans can performatively hate a new character at the drop of a hat. Delightful.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Kabru would be the protagonist in a lot of other stories, but he ain't in this one, and it's very very funny.

Luv me Kabru, simple as.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Also, I don't know why, but I hate that the kobold had people feet. It seems wrong. Shudder inducing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

https://x.com/MaccusNormann/status/1776371704698396845