Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I've never been able to get over SMW having the singular leitmotif repeated in slightly different ways for every level theme. That annoys me so much that I can't rank SMW over SMB3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

SMB3 was the crowning achievement of all gaming and it has been downhill ever since

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Ok that might be going a little far but it was really good

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Mulaney Power Move posted:

SMB3 was the crowning achievement of all gaming and it has been downhill ever since

Thats right

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

wintendo

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm glad I'm finally not alone in preferring SMB3.

Granted SMW is also really loving good, no hate to anyone who prefers it, but to me SMB3 is the GOAT.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
SMB3 is more mysterious and interesting with stuff that many players never see: Rare powerups! White mushroom houses! Secret coin airships!

However, SMW is better because I don't have to keep tapping the loving A button to fly :v:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I wish I was younger when Wonder came out because I would have spent ages with it. Instead I realized I just don't really like 2d platformers.

Kirby on the other hand still keeps my attention.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I hate 2D platformers right now but that's just because I suck at Tropical Freeze.

This game is hard

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mega64 posted:

I'm glad I'm finally not alone in preferring SMB3.

Granted SMW is also really loving good, no hate to anyone who prefers it, but to me SMB3 is the GOAT.

How I feel.

I'd even go as far to say that perhaps SMW is objectively the better game, but when SMB3 came out, it was An Event, and rightly so.

If it wasn't for emulators, roms, and how people smarter than me are able to pull apart every last detail of every NES game, I would probably believe that there are more secrets to it out there. At one point, I sort of convinced myself that in 1-1, after you hit the P-Block near the end, you can quickly backtrack to the white block and something will be behind there.

Sadly, no true. But man, it's exactly the kind of thing I'd expect to be found decades after the game came out.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 5, 2024

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

smb3 has more fun powerups, better levels and cooler aesthetic than world. 3 is legit like my third favorite game of all time.

i tend to prefer the all-stars version just because it looks nicer and doesnt have that nes render artifacting on the right side of the screen

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Inzombiac posted:

I wish I was younger when Wonder came out because I would have spent ages with it. Instead I realized I just don't really like 2d platformers.

Kirby on the other hand still keeps my attention.

new kirby is genuine brain candy

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Fuligin posted:

new kirby is genuine brain candy

I played Kirby and the Forgotten Land from 0 to 100% while high and it was one of the best video game experiences I've ever had

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Meowywitch posted:

I played Kirby and the Forgotten Land from 0 to 100% while high and it was one of the best video game experiences I've ever had

When i played the first level i thought "oh this is gonna be too simple for me, the sophisticated mario lover" and then i shotgunned like 8 in a row

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I want more Kirby but it’s possible we might have to wait until the Switch 2 for that

Curious if they’ll go back to 2D for the next mainline game or take what Forgotten Land did and refine it a bit (I’d take either but I’m hoping for the latter honestly)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Larryb posted:

I want more Kirby but it’s possible we might have to wait until the Switch 2 for that

the switch 2 is going to come out this year or early next so idk

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Do you guys remember when mario 3 launched and they got a shitload of kids to wear colored shirts to make a mario face you could see from orbit? Jesus christ how did they do that

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Do you guys remember when mario 3 launched and they got a shitload of kids to wear colored shirts to make a mario face you could see from orbit? Jesus christ how did they do that

That never happened

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Jeff Gerstmann saying that SMB3 is a bad game during his NES ranking series had me tilted, I tell ya what.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Fifteen of Many posted:

Jeff Gerstmann saying that SMB3 is a bad game during his NES ranking series had me tilted, I tell ya what.

The key to enjoying Jeff G is to be entertained by his random content and dry cynicism while also disregarding most of his opinions. I love watching him, he’s a fun guy to listen to, but some of the poo poo he says is wild lol.

I really miss Giantbomb.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
He rightfully poo poo on MC Kids so hes not wrong all the time

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Jeff is definitely the person I enjoy most and also disagree with like 80% of the time. Somehow out of all the Bomb splinter pods his is the one I’ve stuck with despite it!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Fifteen of Many posted:

Jeff is definitely the person I enjoy most and also disagree with like 80% of the time. Somehow out of all the Bomb splinter pods his is the one I’ve stuck with despite it!

He’s surprisingly entertaining even just doing his solo thing. I was expecting Nextlander to be what scratched the post Giantbomb itch for me but most of the time it’s very boring and dry. Their Dragon’s Dogma 2 video was a hoot, though.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
The boss fights in SMB3 are poop from a butt. SMW at least tries to make them interesting.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

The boss fights in SMB3 are poop from a butt. SMW at least tries to make them interesting.

You're not wrong but they're a fair bit better than Birdo fifty times.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
SMB3 had a whole movie, starring a huge name at the time, devoted to unveiling it's announcement trailer, which completely blew my mind as a kid. That gives it the slight edge imo.

SMW is incredible and Wonder also completely surprised me at how good a 2D platformer could still be and a bunch of the 3D Marios are also masterpieces so in summary Mario owns and Nintendo owns.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Same tbh

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Birdo should invest in hormone replacement therapy imo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Birdetta is an icon and one of my favorite Mario characters.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
My wife loves Nintendo platformers but has played out everything I have from SNES era to Wonder and the DKC games. Rayman Legends was on a steep discount so I got that and she hates it. What should I try next?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Aware posted:

My wife loves Nintendo platformer but has played out everything I have from SNES era to Wonder and the DKC games. Rayman Legends was on a steep discount so I got that and she hates it. What should I try next?

divorce.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Aware posted:

My wife loves Nintendo platformers but has played out everything I have from SNES era to Wonder and the DKC games. Rayman Legends was on a steep discount so I got that and she hates it. What should I try next?

Uh excuse me, how does someone not like Rayman Legends? :colbert:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Aware posted:

yoshi's island?

Celeste?

Meat boy?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Aware posted:

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right Select A New Wife

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Aware posted:

Switch wives continue to be inexplicable

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I said come in! posted:

Uh excuse me, how does someone not like Rayman Legends? :colbert:

I liked Legends a lot but I preferred Origins for whatever reason. Still would have gladly bought a third game in that series...Can't believe it's been over a decade since Legends came out.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Cartoon Man posted:

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right Select A New Wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Fifteen of Many posted:

i love old gb and jeff g is an incredible videogamesman but i learned early on that he has basically inverted video game taste from me on a ton of things

probably bc he grew up a weird sega kid