Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

d0grent posted:

idk if I like the sickle against bots, I empty almost a whole 'clip' into a devastator and then promptly get blasted into hell

You can bring the AC to deal with mediums, or you accept you have limited options to kill mediums quickly. You're left with stun or impact grenades.

Sickle tears through lights and can reliably snipe light pen weakspots from range, like arms or backpacks, rarely headshots from further than 40m.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Away all Goats posted:

I just wish it was possible to hand host to someone. Feels bad when I only have enough time to do two missions and they miss out on that sweet sweet 3rd mission medal bonus

You kind of can. Launch the next mission in the series then return to ship alone after deploy and log out.

... Except every time I ask pubbies if they want me to do this they always say nah, no biggie.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Risky Bisquick posted:

You can bring the AC to deal with mediums, or you accept you have limited options to kill mediums quickly. You're left with stun or impact grenades.

Sickle tears through lights and can reliably snipe light pen weakspots from range, like arms or backpacks, rarely headshots from further than 40m.

After using impact nades I can safely say I cannot use any other. They are so loving good.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Impacts rule. Hopefully thermite can close bug holes, idk if that was ever confirmed

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Slyphic posted:

I've mostly had people shoot me because I was trying to pickup 'their' backpack/support weapon despite us being surrounded and punching tickets like crazy.

poo poo like this is why I'm glad I have a consistent group of friends to play with. Do people actually forget they can call in extra backpacks? I'll join low-level games and donate ammo packs or guard dogs to newbies. I can get another in like, 4 mins.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Horace Kinch posted:

poo poo like this is why I'm glad I have a consistent group of friends to play with. Do people actually forget they can call in extra backpacks? I'll join low-level games and donate ammo packs or guard dogs to newbies. I can get another in like, 4 mins.

I had a game where after I called in all my stuff, a dude just shot me dead and took it all. He was level 20 something.

People are assholes sometimes :smith:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Just used the Dominator for the first time on a Bot 7, and I kind of liked it? It's like a sidegrade to the scorcher but similar? I didn't think it was as unwieldy as some people made it out to be, if you aim down the sights it seems to work well enough. Penetration seemed solid, killed all the little bots in one hit, not hard to get headshots with. Longer shots were easier than the Scorcher because the bullets seemed to have a well faster travel time.

Serviceable. Probably still going to use the scorcher.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Horace Kinch posted:

I won’t get mad mad if someone picks up my thing in the heat of battle but I do kinda need some tools like the Queso Laso to deal with tanks or hulks on the fly (and drop ships for fun)

I do want it back if you can give jt back tho lol. I don’t want to wait

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mesadoram posted:

I had a game where after I called in all my stuff, a dude just shot me dead and took it all. He was level 20 something.

People are assholes sometimes :smith:
This is why you always host when playing with pubbies, good lord. if I wasnt hosting I'd kill him, take my stuff back, dive off a cliff/into water with it, then quit and find a new game just to spite the fucker. Or TK him every time he spawned.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would’ve made that guys life hell.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I had a game where I got the super samples, 20 rares, and had cleared almost everything on the map without dying. I was at extraction with everything and looked and noticed our reinforcements were 0. The other 3 guys kept dying over and over trying to recover 2 rare samples at a cleared out point of interest on the other side of the map with 3 minutes left. Then they all died again and I could only hold extraction solo for 2.5 minutes (diver I brought back killed himself with a turret). Stupid 3 minute extraction. Stupid pubies

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

RC Cola posted:

I had a game where I got the super samples, 20 rares, and had cleared almost everything on the map without dying. I was at extraction with everything and looked and noticed our reinforcements were 0. The other 3 guys kept dying over and over trying to recover 2 rare samples at a cleared out point of interest on the other side of the map with 3 minutes left. Then they all died again and I could only hold extraction solo for 2.5 minutes (diver I brought back killed himself with a turret). Stupid 3 minute extraction. Stupid pubies

a common and two rare samples next to an autocanon backpack is the most powerful enemy in the game

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

redreader posted:

Every page, about 2-5 people post about 'eagle airstrike is always one of my choices' so I went back to it and used it for a few matches. There was one bot drop that I did a direct hit on and didn't kill a single bot. It doesn't kill the big shield bots or the gundam missile devastator bots. Maybe I'm just bad at video games?

Eagle Airstrike is incredible on bots and I take it for every mission except eradicates, but even then it would be good I just like other stratagems more in that situation.

Things like this are why I have a hard time taking things besides Eagle Airstrike and Autocannon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWJgqjX8oa4

Within ~30 seconds I killed 20 bots and an outpost with one airstrike, then killed a tank that was pinning down my allies from halfway across the map lol. loving autocannon and airstrike own so hard.

Edit: vvv GL is very good for bugs but I love AC for them too. Paired with a Sickle, you can mow down hunters/chaff easily, then whatever's left alive (up to and including chargers - pop their rear end when they run by) can be killed with the AC.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 5, 2024

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
AC good for bots

GL good for bugs? Or should I be taking AC there too?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

GL is good for everything but it's very good against bugs imo. Being an ammo backpack and never run out of ammo.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Leaked weapon talk: the upcoming AA rocket launcher looks utterly insane in it’s power. It’s basically the cluster bomb strat. rocket launcher form. :stare:

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I love the GL against spewers, you can kill hordes by carefully manuvering the blasts between their asses.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
One of the ship upgrades says it reduces resupply (and mortar etc) cooldown by 10%. How does that work when resupply is a shared cooldown?

Also, getting declared a traitor and just sprinting like mad is definitely the best way to handle elimination missions. That free 380 barrage every time does loving work.

E: also funny is taking, like, 3-4 eagle strategems. It's not like the round is going to last long enough to send them back between 5 cluster strikes, 3 airstrikes, and 2-3 500kg or 110s. Maybe bring a shield so you can reliably get off the throw without getting ragdolled.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 5, 2024

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Back Hack posted:

Leaked weapon talk: the upcoming AA rocket launcher looks utterly insane in it’s power. It’s basically the cluster bomb strat. rocket launcher form. :stare:

It honestly reminds me more of a Thermobaric or Fuel Air Explosive. Looks like it will get some poo poo done.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

dives save lives
https://i.imgur.com/5NNWswX.mp4

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

When it's good it's good, but I don't think I've ever played a game where pubbies sometimes manage to be such imbeciles.

On Blitz. Time ran out after some harrowing battles, so we were all heading to the extract to at least get a whole bunch of samples out of it. One dude gets there first and extracts alone, leaving the rest of his team and all the samples behind.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Psykmoe posted:

Yeah, loving the Dominator. It's a clumsy beast, but the burst fire mode makes it feel really good against Berserkers and it fucks up any kind of Devastator. Doesn't smash Striders as quickly as a Scorcher does by splashing the pilot, but 2-3 shots to the hip joints do sort them out.

Still, the crap gun handling makes the already wasteful task (my ammo reserves!) of overkilling chaff bots that survived through crowd control measures more annoying than with the Scorcher (which benefits from some splash in this task), and I think the Scorcher's explosive projectiles make a superior contribution to weakspots on heavy units, since Dominator projectiles are just kinetic impacts which happen to be gyro-jet driven. Unless I misunderstand the damage mechanics vis-a-vis heavy weakspots.

I am also really terrible at hitting jetpack dudes in flight with the Dominator's slow-rear end projectiles.

I love it, its become my bot main. It finally achieves a boltgun sense since the patch.

It handles like a convection oven but once you get a feel on its sway you can devour devastators like its nothing. Normal and rocket devestators you can stagger in the chest guaranteed and all can be one shotted to the face. Plus it damages components faster.

Firing it at the troopers is overkill but you can do easy enough once you get a feel for it. I currently carry the machine pistol set to semi to get more economy out of it. Decent for the tiny bugs and most troopers at close and even mediumish range. I have it out when clearing or doing self defense. Find someone on my squad that has a good mob weapon and stick near them.

Plus it does fantastic damage to vents. If you catch a Hulk's vent with its back straight to you, you can drop him in like 6-8 shots, magazines hold 15. Tanks, turrets, if it has a glowing weak spot you can hurt it. You can even damage gunships engines with it. poo poo you can even kill mortars.

Stalkers? Shoot them at the base of the legs, it also causes stagger and destroys it. The pilot survives but hey no ATST. Hit him with a rocket assisted rebar post and move to the next one.

As someone who tends to roll very armor piercing/anti tank heavy against bots (recoilless/quasar/spear + impact grenades + at lest 1 AT strategem like rockets or railgun) I feel like it makes me confidently able to take on pretty much any heavy threat. However it's a hard spec so I tend to bring at least one anti personnel strat like clusterbombs and stick with my squad. If I'm not getting mobbed, I'm falling giants.

Moral of the story is dominator rules now (under preferred conditions,) try it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

When it's good it's good, but I don't think I've ever played a game where pubbies sometimes manage to be such imbeciles.

On Blitz. Time ran out after some harrowing battles, so we were all heading to the extract to at least get a whole bunch of samples out of it. One dude gets there first and extracts alone, leaving the rest of his team and all the samples behind.

I like when I announce that I'm headed back to spawn to drop off some samples including some supersamples since I was already close (blitz) and some guy decides to disengage from the base he was in, run halfway across the map, grab them, then go back to where he was and die, leaving them stuck with two towers and mortar overlooking them. I grabbed them anyway but it was a big hassle.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I have some notes on Railcannon target priorities

https://i.imgur.com/lrxrYQo.mp4

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Anyone else having an issue with difficulty unlocks? I've done plenty of lvl 8 operations but still don't have access to 9

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

I love it, its become my bot main. It finally achieves a boltgun sense since the patch.

It handles like a convection oven but once you get a feel on its sway you can devour devastators like its nothing. Normal and rocket devestators you can stagger in the chest guaranteed and all can be one shotted to the face. Plus it damages components faster.

The dominator two shots devastators in a leg or their pelvis, just gotta hit the same place twice. It's more consistent than chest shots or fishing for headshots for me.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Back Hack posted:

it's not an AA launcher, it's an air burst rocket. i would be surprised if its current stats are going to reflect the live version. a weapon designed to clear groups of enemies that can also one hit kill chargers and tanks seems too good

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
been running the counter sniper + quasar cannon on that moon with the meteor strikes and huge sight lines (maia?) the past day or so and it actually feels fantastic to be able to just plink away taking out guys on turrets etc while your team runs towards them, and quasar cannon cannons and tanks from across the map, along with long range dropship kills. been pairing it with orbital laser + orbital railcannon both for taking out heavies if everyone gets overwhelmed, but also because a railcannon and a laser is usually enough to take out an entire big base solo. i was even pleasantly surprised to find that the laser will take out the detector tower when i threw it into a base to soften the defences up so i could go take it out!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Anyone else having an issue with difficulty unlocks? I've done plenty of lvl 8 operations but still don't have access to 9

You have to complete all three missions in the set. Are you hosting the missions yourself?

Ravenfood posted:

E: also funny is taking, like, 3-4 eagle strategems. It's not like the round is going to last long enough to send them back between 5 cluster strikes, 3 airstrikes, and 2-3 500kg or 110s.

Yep, my bot elimination loadout is three Eagle strikes (airstrike, cluster, 110) and the autocannon. I get about 50% of the kills myself

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

it's not an AA launcher, it's an air burst rocket. i would be surprised if its current stats are going to reflect the live version. a weapon designed to clear groups of enemies that can also one hit kill chargers and tanks seems too good

If you want to split hairs it’s a proximity fused cluster-munition rocket and not air-burst, air-burst is when a munition is set to explode after a pre-set distance and/or time. Proximity fused is when a munition self-detonates after it detects if it a certain distance away from something else and/or keyed to detonate if it detects something specific. Since it keyed to detonate (so can disperse bomblets in every direction) mid-air and only if the target airborne, it is a type anti-air rocket, ergo a AA rocket launcher.

Xanasar
Dec 27, 2006

According to the description of the new warbond on the PlayStation blog, Expert Extraction Pilot Booster lowers the amount of time it takes the extraction shuttle to get to the beacon.

But if it's dead weight until you punch in the extraction sequence, it would have to knock like half of the wait time off before anybody takes it.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Yep, my bot elimination loadout is three Eagle strikes (airstrike, cluster, 110) and the autocannon. I get about 50% of the kills myself

Any tips for the 110? The times I tried it, it didn't seem to do much.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

probably the most annoyed ive been yet. played a challenging, had a level 7, 2 level 30+.. they are all speaking german so i assume they're a group. they run for the evac zone but i see that one of the blue objectives, destroying the rogue building was still up but on the otherside of the map. i ran to that while they ran for the evac zone. i get there and the objective is bugged so i start running back to the evac zone. as the shuttle lands the level 7 guy just immediately gets on and i'm well outside of the 20 seconds or whatever it is.. they're also all speaking german i guess but i guess germans just leave people behind??? do you lose the samples if you dont evac out?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Back Hack posted:

only if the target airborne

you might want to rewatch that leaked gameplay

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Strong Sauce posted:

do you lose the samples if you dont evac out?

You lose whatever samples you were carrying.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Strong Sauce posted:

i guess germans just leave people behind???

Its true

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Eediot Jedi posted:

The dominator two shots devastators in a leg or their pelvis, just gotta hit the same place twice. It's more consistent than chest shots or fishing for headshots for me.

Ah yes.

Tho this reminds me that finishing berserkers in the pelvis bisects them and with all the time I've spent running from them and kiting them (am level 37) I find it extremely satisfying to trivialize them that much.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Poldarn posted:

Any tips for the 110? The times I tried it, it didn't seem to do much.

It hits the largest target in the area, so you need to use it like the rail cannon but with less power and faster reload. It will often kill a hulk or tank by itself, and two of them certainly will.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Strong Sauce posted:

probably the most annoyed ive been yet. played a challenging, had a level 7, 2 level 30+.. they are all speaking german so i assume they're a group. they run for the evac zone but i see that one of the blue objectives, destroying the rogue building was still up but on the otherside of the map. i ran to that while they ran for the evac zone. i get there and the objective is bugged so i start running back to the evac zone. as the shuttle lands the level 7 guy just immediately gets on and i'm well outside of the 20 seconds or whatever it is.. they're also all speaking german i guess but i guess germans just leave people behind??? do you lose the samples if you dont evac out?

If they had samples and you did not they did the right thing and you benefitted from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
110s seem to reliably kill tanks for me but only severely injure hulks. Before the Hangar upgrade I prefer them over 500kgs because you have 2 by default, but after I prefer the flexibility of the 500s