Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Random theory re: Trump/Republicans over-performing in polls (which has maybe already been suggested a million times already?): What if at least some small percentage of poll respondents that tilt the scales toward Trump in polling results are Biden voters just saying they'll vote for Trump/Republicans because they're in a room with actual Trump supporters and don't want to catch poo poo for saying "Biden" or the more liberal candidate. Maybe even in an abusive relationship where the spouse is a chud. Trump supporters are absolute garbage people who can't/won't shut the gently caress up about Trump and frequently get combative if you go against Dear Leader.

tek79 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

lmao @ people getting upset over a wall street journal poll

what kind of dickheads do you think the old money finance bro magazine polled

PA is definitely not going to trump

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I think it's that people who wear hats and t-shirts and fly 47 flags for their guy are more excited to tell people how much they support him.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What the gently caress is that WSJ poll. Seriously Trump leading in all battleground states except Wisconsin.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

:siren::rudy::lolrudy::rudy::siren:
WHYS HE HANGIN OUT WITH HIM

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

the denial in this thread is off the charts

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
Have people gone absolutely mad? Did people forget that Trump attempted a coup, and that the entire GOP helped him with it? I'm on facebook and instagram and he still has followers after everything that happened. It's just so loving frustrating!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

https://twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1776377008315940952

What is a cult?

Absolute authoritarianism without accountability
Zero tolerance for criticism or questions
Lack of meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget
Unreasonable fears about the outside world that often involve evil conspiracies and persecutions
A belief that former followers are always wrong for leaving and there is never a legitimate reason for anyone else to leave
Abuse of members
Records, books, articles, or programs documenting the abuses of the leader or group
Followers feeling they are never able to be “good enough”
A belief that the leader is right at all times
A belief that the leader is the exclusive means of knowing “truth” or giving validation

Yup Trumpism is not a cult

Also lol that final point being Trump created Truth

Trumpism is a movement. A BOWEL MOVEMENT!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

spaceblancmange posted:

Of what, exactly?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

MadcapLaughs posted:

Well I'm glad Andre poo poo on hogan then! There is a documentary put out some years ago about the giant. It was kinda sad but he seemed to be an OK guy.
There's also the story of when the WWF was touring Japan, Andre would be drinking beers in the back of the tour bus. Every time he finished a can, he would crush it and throw it at Hogan's head, hitting almost every time. Hogan had to clean up the empties and whenever the bus stopped Hogan had to run in to the convenience store and buy Andre a bunch of beer.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

spaceblancmange posted:

No it isn’t.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"people are free to leave anytime" is at odds with "go woke, go broke"

but he means in a "compound" sense. trump isn't literally locking people on his property so not a cult.

just ask his dead ex-wife

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

priznat posted:

Kevin Nash and Mick Foley are the only exceptions I can think of.

I was disappointed that Chris Jericho is apparently somewhat chudly :sigh:

I’d say it’s amazing how many wrestlers are chuds, but when you’re that close to king chud Vince McMahon, it makes some sense.

I seem to recall that Andrei was cool though, and that he actively got screwed by Hogan. I also think Jake the Snake Roberts was actually an okay guy too. Reformed alcoholic and child abuse survivor, but otherwise pretty decent. That’s about it off the top of my head, and watch me be wrong.

Dark Side of the Ring is still fascinating though.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

What is a cult?

Unreasonable fears about the outside world that often involve evil conspiracies and persecutions
A belief that former followers are always wrong for leaving and there is never a legitimate reason for anyone else to leave
Abuse of members
Records, books, articles, or programs documenting the abuses of the leader or group
A belief that the leader is the exclusive means of knowing “truth” or giving validation

AZLUAARFAA? i dont get it

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

spaceblancmange posted:

in fact, the polls are, good, and right! And many experts are saying, so im told, Trump! is, for better or worse, the most popular man in the world!

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

SilentChaz posted:

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1775980199751881104

Trump claims that Biden was "higher than a kite" during his State of the Union address last month and proposes (Biden) be drug-tested before he debates him.

says the old gently caress so drug addled he can't even fake it for a video call

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

wfh daydrinking 101 is go voice only

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

that constipated guy trying to be tough guy is his official WH portrait isn't it?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
oktoberfest is far more important to my life than any cult could ever hope to be

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

SilentChaz posted:

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1775980199751881104

Trump claims that Biden was "higher than a kite" during his State of the Union address last month and proposes (Biden) be drug-tested before he debates him.

What is projection

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

spaceblancmange posted:

I'm sure this is just a troll but this bears a serious post for lurkers who probably feel this way.

-Do I believe that Joe and Trump are polling close to each other? Sure.

-Do I believe Joe Biden has an image problem? Yes.

-Do I believe the inflation is strangling an easy re-election campaign for Joe Biden? Absolutely.

-Do I believe Trump is up in every battleground state? Absolutely not.

Trump has lost every election since 2016. The dems are sweeping elections nationwide and clawing back republican strongholds based on abortion. It's literally just extreme gerrymandering that keeps them in the game at all. Literally one new state will put them out of reach of the presidency for a long time.

Literally 5 months ago Dems won every election outside Mississippi in a national contest. To say the polls aren't suspicious is silly. Polls have been bad since 2016.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

It's over for Joe

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

kazil posted:

It's over for Joe

Ah hell, he's been sniffing the red kryptonite again.

Jows
May 8, 2002

MEIN RAVEN posted:

I’d say it’s amazing how many wrestlers are chuds, but when you’re that close to king chud Vince McMahon, it makes some sense.

I seem to recall that Andrei was cool though, and that he actively got screwed by Hogan. I also think Jake the Snake Roberts was actually an okay guy too. Reformed alcoholic and child abuse survivor, but otherwise pretty decent. That’s about it off the top of my head, and watch me be wrong.

Dark Side of the Ring is still fascinating though.

Andre was apparently a really good dude. The absolute sweetest guy. Cary Elwes' memoir of Princess Bride has a ton of Andre stories in it just talking about how awesome he was. Also per the Behind the Bastard's on Vince, apparently one of Vince's first rape victims only felt safe telling Andre about it.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Smooth-brain Criminals

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Sedgr posted:

There's a supernova scheduled for the next few months as well so these people will have a new, well technically just brighter, star show up in the sky to portend whatever they want.

Just a nova, I think, assuming you mean T Coronae Borealis. It goes nova every once in a while, last time in 1946, and is dimming again like it’s about to pop.

I don’t think we can predict supernovas more than a few hours away — there’s a burst of neutrinos that takes away 99% of the collapsing star’s energy, which is pretty wild since the remaining 1% of energy makes one of the more energetic events we know about in the universe.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Wouldn't these guys have made hella cash loaning the stock out? Lmao

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

John Yossarian posted:

Have people gone absolutely mad? Did people forget that Trump attempted a coup, and that the entire GOP helped him with it? I'm on facebook and instagram and he still has followers after everything that happened. It's just so loving frustrating!
People will move heaven and earth to rationalize favoring the Republican

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Silly Burrito posted:

Ah hell, he's been sniffing the red kryptonite again.

Does it give him an allergic reaction or something

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I don’t :lol: at the polls because I don’t like what they’re saying.

I :lol: at the polls because ever since the Dobbs ruling, they’ve been consistently wrong in the same direction.

Dems overperformed the midterms by a lot, they picked up Santos’s seat, they’re picking up state legislature seats held by Republicans. They’re beating Moms for Hitler Liberty candidates in purple-to-slightly-red areas. The Dems are doing better on money than the Republicans - the literal “rich guy” party. The House Republicans are at each other’s throats and some are even spite-retiring.

Meanwhile, a representative poll of a country of 330 million is 1000 respondents. Twenty-four years ago, a representative poll of a country of 280 million people was… 1000 respondents. And the pollsters can’t poll anyone under 45 for poo poo. The few people in that age group who do respond tend to swing the poll wildly towards Republicans. Whereas the actual results of actual elections have been the exact opposite.

So am I to believe that there’s a bunch of voters out there voting for Democrats now, but who intend to vote for Trump in November? Maybe you could make the argument if he was a right-of-center Larry Hogan type, but he’s a hard-right, authoritarian who is adopting more and more Christian Nationalist rhetoric.

Or, is a more likely explanation that polling as we once knew it was entirely dependent on landline phones and how people interacted with them? Phone rings, don’t know who it is, - or even with Caller ID, if it’s a number I don’t know - maybe they’re calling for someone else in my household; better pick it up! Whereas now, everyone’s cellphone is their own line, and we don’t pick up if we don’t know the number.

Early phone polls said Dewey defeats Truman because only affluent people had phones. The accuracy of polls went up with landline adoption, and now they’re failing as landlines go extinct. Internet polls aren’t filling the gap (self-selection bias). There’s not really good ways to get an accurate read on how Americans will vote anymore. Or if there is, polling companies are resistant because it’s too expensive.

Rod Hoofhearted fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 6, 2024

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

John Yossarian posted:

lol many of them would be happy to have no elections and trump forever

you don't get magic anti-dictator genes from being born here

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Toxic Mental posted:

Red kryptonite makes Superman turn evil/crazy.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Toxic Mental posted:

It must, look at that swelling. He's turning into a Charlie Kirk.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

MadcapLaughs posted:

Is hulk hogan a chud? If he is that just makes the story of Andre the Giant literally taking a crap on hogan in the ring so much funnier!

Hulk Hogan snitched to Vince that Jesse Ventura was trying to unionize the wrestlers.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Silly Burrito posted:

Red kryptonite makes Superman turn evil/crazy.

In this situation do we still call him Superman

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I don’t :lol: at the polls because I don’t like what they’re saying.

I :lol: at the polls because ever since the Dobbs ruling, they’ve been consistently wrong in the same direction.

Dems overperformed the midterms by a lot, they picked up Santos’s seat, they’re picking up state legislature seats held by Republicans. They’re beating Moms for Hitler Liberty candidates in purple-to-slightly-red areas. The Dems are doing better on money than the Republicans - the literal “rich guy” party. The House Republicans are at each other’s throats and some are even spite-retiring.

Meanwhile, a representative poll of a country of 330 million is 1000 respondents. Twenty-four years ago, a representative poll of a country of 280 million people was… 1000 respondents. And the pollsters can’t poll anyone under 45 for poo poo. The few people in that age group who do respond tend to swing the poll wildly towards Republicans. Whereas the actual results of actual elections have been the exact opposite.

So am I to believe that there’s a bunch of voters out there voting for Democrats now, but who intend to vote for Trump in November? Maybe you could make the argument if he was a right-of-center Larry Hogan type, but he’s a hard-right, authoritarian who is adopting more and more Christian Nationalist rhetoric.

Or, is a more likely explanation that polling as we once knew it was entirely dependent on landline phones and how people interacted with them? Phone rings, don’t know who it is, - or even with Caller ID, if it’s a number I don’t know - maybe they’re calling for someone else in my household; better pick it up! Whereas now, everyone’s cellphone is their own line, and we don’t pick up if we don’t know the number.

Early phone polls said Dewey defeats Truman because only affluent people had phones. The accuracy of polls went up with landline adoption, and now they’re failing as landlines go extinct. Internet polls aren’t filling the gap (self-selection bias). There’s not really good ways to get an accurate read on how Americans will vote anymore. Or if there is, polling companies are resistant because it’s too expensive.

I do focus group testing on occasion, I forgot how I started doing it but they call me a few times a year and ask to pay me a few hundred dollars to give my dumb opinion about things. It's actually kind of cool, I've gotten to play with tech products before they are released, repeatedly unload on a company about how their mascot disgusts me, etc. Given how much they pay me, generally several hundred dollars for like half a day to tell them how much I hate the company that hired them and exactly why, I am assume they have pretty extensive demographic data on me that they can reliably extrapolate out to the broader consumer marketplace. Actually, I'm on a few lists now, some major companies occasionally send me an email and are like, we will pay you $150 for a one hour video conference where you tell me why our website redesign is bad. Also, a big part of all that is they often ask multiple follow up questions and ask for clarifications, and as someone that does a fair amount of data analyzation, I frequently end up in a room with a spreadsheet and patiently explain why X≠Y, that the tiny little difference in the question they are asking is actually a really significant and fundamentally different question than X.

It seems like no one is really doing this for political polling on a large scale. I know they do all sorts of focus groups, as far as I can tell they tend to be really specific ones. Why not just find a bunch of people that you really, really understand their demographics and thinking, keep them around, year, decades even and pay them a few hundred dollars a year to pick their brains for a few hours to figure out what they are really thinking, not just "Who do you think would do better for the economy?", I promise the answer for most people is more nuanced than A or B.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Almost Smart posted:

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/dwayne-the-rock-johnson-biden-no-endorsement-2024-election-1235961800/

The Rock is rescinding his 2020 endorsement of Joe Biden to help heal divides and foster greater unity. And he wants you to know this as he sits for a Fox News interview and complains about woke cancel culture. Yessiree, just a total down the road centrist.

Dude should be rich as hell and set for life but he's running every move in the "squandered everything and is now a washed up loser" playbook who sells scam energy and pre workout drinks.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

What is a cult?

Abuse of members

It’s true. The party that decks themselves out in gently caress JOE BIDEN merch and openly fantasizes about killing people different than themselves are the true paragons of unity and understanding. Shameful of the left to be holding the nation back

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Doctor Butts posted:

Dude should be rich as hell and set for life but he's running every move in the "squandered everything and is now a washed up loser" playbook who sells scam energy and pre workout drinks.

He’s doing the career equivalent of “aim for the bushes”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Ladies and gentlemen, we've done it. We have finally found someone with a more pathetic thumbs up than trump