Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
how do I combine the terms eco terrorist with luddite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Third World Reagan posted:

how do I combine the terms eco terrorist with luddite

Please don't - that's how you summon alphabet agencies.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
LET or ETL

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

kater posted:

the idea of running sunlight through fiber optic cables underground to your worm den amuses me

the "goon cave" is an ancient tradition of my people

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

https://youtu.be/uGDnkq_KeTA?si=4y7y8Q5c3KWkB65E

And, oh yeah, Storm Kathleen coming over tomorrow is making it 22°C in my neck of the woods, which is far warmer than Spain, say.

Totally normal to have overnight temps be 15°C instead of 4°C.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

LOL that baseline.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

kater posted:

the idea of running sunlight through fiber optic cables underground to your worm den amuses me

in a post-fossil fuel world itd probably be cheaper to do this once with out-of-spec fiber optic cable than pay for electric lighting indefinitely

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
worked for a bit as a teen installing those light-tube type sunlights. you CAN route those pipes through multiple floors but unless the house was designed for it you're going to have to kink it a few times to avoid pipes and beams and whatnot. it quickly kills your throughput.

i imagine in addition to the fire hazards it also provides a nice way for heat to get in and out through your house.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

RandomBlue posted:

LOL that baseline.

9/11/2001 was just the perfect climate

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

The Oldest Man posted:

in a post-fossil fuel world itd probably be cheaper to do this once with out-of-spec fiber optic cable than pay for electric lighting indefinitely

tbh when i was looking at it, it was more this mirrored ducting you could get. No idea where you would even find cable like that but it if you could that would be more ideal to retrofit into existing buildings

SixteenShells posted:

worked for a bit as a teen installing those light-tube type sunlights. you CAN route those pipes through multiple floors but unless the house was designed for it you're going to have to kink it a few times to avoid pipes and beams and whatnot. it quickly kills your throughput.

i imagine in addition to the fire hazards it also provides a nice way for heat to get in and out through your house.

yeah this was my end conclusion, there was just no physical straight shot available all the way into the basement.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

RandomBlue posted:

LOL that baseline.

I was about to say that I'm pretty sure we are already over 1C of warming caused by humans, but shifting the goalposts to only 0.75C of warming caused by millenials is good too

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Ted Wassanasong posted:

Anything else and China wins...
Yellen faces tough road on China's vast overproduction problem

quote:

U.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen arrives in China's southern factory hub of Guangzhou on Thursday with a tough message to Chinese officials: you're producing too much of everything, especially clean energy goods, and the world can't absorb it.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

good news graphs are my favourite things to read in the morning

has anyone seen insects around street lights at night any more? I’m struggling to remember a time when my local light was full of moths and other flying things. where have all the bats, geckos and nocturnal insect eating birds gone?

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

that's pretty much my entire life and nails when snowy winters went away in pittsburgh when i was in college.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

what an insane thing to say. i feel like people aren't going to appreciate just how clearly that quote exemplifies how capitalism is incompatible with saving the world. we need to stop burning all fossil fuels immediately, we needed to stop a decade ago, and replacing it all with solar panels would require a crazy amount of panels. but china is making too many solar panels and it is making money sad :( :( :(

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

yup

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Stereotype posted:

I was about to say that I'm pretty sure we are already over 1C of warming caused by humans, but shifting the goalposts to only 0.75C of warming caused by millenials is good too

(probably preaching to the choir when you were just trying to make a joke)

it doesn’t even demonstrate that, because observed increases in EEI don’t happen until several decades after the emissions responsible for it are released. Increases observed today would be due to emissions released around the time most millennials would be either gestating in the womb or just being born. We won’t be feeling the effects of what adult millennials produced and emitted for years to come. So the graph could still be blamed on boomer mom and dad if that’s your predilection

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

and the most terrifying thing of all… the threat to our European solidarity

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Homeless Friend posted:

and the most terrifying thing of all… the threat to our European solidarity

Threat assessment is lax and wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVYqB0uTKlE

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

did these motherfuckers just start playing oni? pump that poo poo into space morons!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l4N1wjoKAI

i assume everyone will enjoy part 3

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

RandomBlue posted:

LOL that baseline.

You got to love a funky baseline

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Salt Fish posted:

You got to love a funky baseline

https://youtu.be/IJYK5tkgtvk?feature=shared

Does anybody have recommendations for a podcast centered around the biosphere and the sixth mass extinction? I listen to plenty of content focused on SST updates and climate change/ENSO, but I’m looking to diversify my awareness of species loss and learn more about the wildlife damage I read when I see articles about things like Amazon deforestation

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Pondering the microplastic composition of the mylar wrapped nacho pump cheese as I gorge on a Velvetta shells family sized box.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

https://youtu.be/uGDnkq_KeTA?si=4y7y8Q5c3KWkB65E

And, oh yeah, Storm Kathleen coming over tomorrow is making it 22°C in my neck of the woods, which is far warmer than Spain, say.

Totally normal to have overnight temps be 15°C instead of 4°C.

It's alright, if climate change accelerates enough the AMOC will collapse in time to reset their temperature for a few more years.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Rip Testes posted:

Pondering the microplastic composition of the mylar wrapped nacho pump cheese as I gorge on a Velvetta shells family sized box.

I enjoy thinking about how not one second of my life is free of plastic. I'm sure that's fine.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Rip Testes posted:

Normal people get Annie's Organic Shells and White Cheddar box mac carved fresh off the block at the macmonger instead

kater
Nov 16, 2010

honestly what the hell are frozen dinners how is microwaving or baking plastic with food in it a good idea

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

frozenphil posted:

I enjoy thinking about how not one second of my life is free of plastic. I'm sure that's fine.

Someone get that post

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Ignore_Me posted:

https://youtu.be/IJYK5tkgtvk?feature=shared

Does anybody have recommendations for a podcast centered around the biosphere and the sixth mass extinction? I listen to plenty of content focused on SST updates and climate change/ENSO, but I’m looking to diversify my awareness of species loss and learn more about the wildlife damage I read when I see articles about things like Amazon deforestation

very american to try to do homework through the apocalypse

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

frozenphil posted:

it is

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
as long as you don’t microwave, boil water in, leave in the sun, drink from, eat from with metal utensils, eat with as a utensil, drink through as a straw, or inhale any particulate of, plastics are fine

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
I like thinking about my toothbrush personally

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

I like thinking about my toothbrush personally

nope

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Someone get that post

Rime posted:

I wake up and stretch, in a bed filled with plastic fibers.

Get up, my feet touch a carpeted floor, made of plastic fibers.

Open the curtains, made of spun plastic fibers.

Put on some clothes, made of plastic fibers.

The water (filled with microplastics at the source) in my tap travels through kilometers of plastic piping and tubing. I brush my teeth with plastic fibers on a plastic handle.

Make some coffee / tea in a plastic kettle, mix in some honey from a plastic container.

Pour my breakfast oats out of a plastic bag.

Throw my lunch in a plastic container, into my backpack made of plastic, head out the door. Keycard is plastic, I've lost a couple.

Hop into my truck, cab decked out in plastic, turn on the cabin heater full blast.

Head off to work.

Grind a few dozen lbs of short-chain polymer resin into the air and watch it blow away on the breeze, smiling at a job well done.

Get "home", cook some dinner out of plastic packaging.

Chill out on my couch made of plastic.

Repeat the first few steps in reverse, settling down into my semi-plastic bed for a peaceful 8 hours of slumber.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings! Another beautiful day on this glorious planet we call home, I'm sure. Glad I focus on living a clean healthy life!

#blessed.

:suicide:

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Stereotype posted:

what an insane thing to say. i feel like people aren't going to appreciate just how clearly that quote exemplifies how capitalism is incompatible with saving the world. we need to stop burning all fossil fuels immediately, we needed to stop a decade ago, and replacing it all with solar panels would require a crazy amount of panels. but china is making too many solar panels and it is making money sad :( :( :(

communism can never outpace the efficiency of capitalist economies also hey no fair slow down you're producing too much

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Whee, all time record for Apr 6th in Western Germany/Eastern France.
27C/80F :toot:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

ram dass in hell posted:

communism can never outpace the efficiency of capitalist economies also hey no fair slow down you're producing too much

Efficiency is measured in ivory back scratchers per billionaire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
https://twitter.com/NOAAClimate/status/1776323487352996287