Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
99% of gears is leaning so hard into the mechanic. If we’re talking not doing a gimmick like capitalism strat where you fish for a specific set of curios, the easiest one for my highest level is “occurrence extrapolation” by just cloning the hell out of reward chests until you’re drowning in curios and blessings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I just got Acheron's cone after only 15 rolls on the LC Banner, starting from all the way back at 0/70

It knows. It wants destruction.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

oh you mean you didnt need to go to GNSW S11 for it :shepicide:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I make very bad LC banner decisions but drat if my favorites don't get their signatures

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Excelzior posted:

oh you mean you didnt need to go to GNSW S11 for it :shepicide:

To be fair, of all the 4-star cones to amass, getting two S5 GNSWs out of the deal isn't bad.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Finished clearing the current Pure Fiction. Herta worked great for both of them even with the extra elites.

I'm really curious where the story is going with the Family because they don't seem to have any good qualities.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Presumably their justification for existing is that real Penacony fuckin sucks because it's unfiltered memoria so anyone bringing in their negativity makes it more and more dangerous.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the penacony story isnt like, amazing, theres still a few weird bits, but its seriously crazy how much better it is than anything in genshin or star rail besides it, lol

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Endorph posted:

the penacony story isnt like, amazing, theres still a few weird bits, but its seriously crazy how much better it is than anything in genshin or star rail besides it, lol

That’s always my criticism too - like really just a competent and well told story without too much bullshit is all most people want. But I guess they want to pad gachas up and bloat the gently caress out of dialogue in some games to praise the Engagement Gods even when they could cut 2/3 of the dialogue and not only have the story not be affected by it but likely be better off that way.

Hoyo really doesn’t have an excuse at all because they’ve made such an obscene amount of money, it’s dumb not to expect a good experience and good story at the same time. I’m really happy with how Penacony is panning out. It isn’t some timeless masterpiece but it is engaging and entertaining, and after the Luofu the pacing feels good. (That said I didn’t mind Luofu *that* much, but it just felt like a waste of an interesting setting sometimes)

Meowywitch posted:

I just got Acheron's cone after only 15 rolls on the LC Banner, starting from all the way back at 0/70

It knows. It wants destruction.

You deserved it after the pain on the character banner.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean the problem isn't even 'too much dialog,' the problem is how little happens in a lot of their stories. fate/grand order has ton of dialog too, but lostbelt 6 is like, a full-on adventure with multiple towns and a battle over the fate of an entire world where multiple characters get big revelatory moments and theres like 15 deaths. the average genshin story is like, you show up and dick around and then One thing happens that has no longterm consequences

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Fell off star rail at launch, reinstalled it for another go, and man the end of Belabog really gripped me.

dumbass thinks she looks so cool.

Also got punished by Cosmodyssey. I thought I was being so clever stacking bonuses carefully and abusing reroll coins to bring in fat stacks, and then I finished with half the questionire filled out and had to just spam rolls to finish that off. orz.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I just had like a 9 month gap between Luofu Part 1 and now finishing Luofu part 2 and mostly it just seems part 2 is largely disconnected from anything that happened in part 1. Not that I remember what happened all too well.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
didn't someone mention a 4 star acheron lightcone coming up soon?? or am i losing it. I currently have the screwlium one on her

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
"Soon" as in it's been leaked and will be in a future patch. Not anytime soon.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Clarste posted:

"Soon" as in it's been leaked and will be in a future patch. Not anytime soon.

aw nards i guess i will pull for lightcone after all 😤

librarerun
Feb 13, 2024

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I just had like a 9 month gap between Luofu Part 1 and now finishing Luofu part 2 and mostly it just seems part 2 is largely disconnected from anything that happened in part 1. Not that I remember what happened all too well.

Luofu really suffered from poor pacing and lack of focus. I suspect it was dev issues from the whole launch madness, and not wanting Space China to be too controversial with its message right out the gate... which directly contradicts how the Xianzhou is a deeply hosed up society at basically every level.

Hopefully the next Xianzhou ship we visit will actually be willing to lean more into the inherent ideological and political conflicts via actual on-screen character interactions like Penacony has?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

or, or, we could double down on how amazing Yanqing is, surely people will like him then

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't know why we would ever visit another Xianzhou ship when there are so many other places to explore. Maybe add a new little area to the Luofu for a short side chapter, like Ruan Mei's stuff on the space station or Topaz's stuff in Belabog.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean they've pretty clearly established a pattern. new planet gets 3 patches > old planets each get a patch > new planet gets 3 patches > old planets each get a patch.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I wouldnt mind have minded seeing the Xianzhou Alliance come back into the picture later down the line; they're a major faction and they've (more or less) declared war on Nanook and so it would make sense that we assist, or are assisted by them in the fight against Nanook's forces

But the back half of 2.X feels too soon

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 6, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also theres unresolved stuff like Tingyun

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Going back to the same ship to resolve some stuff is very different from going to a brand new ship which would have to be treated like a whole new planet, imo.

librarerun
Feb 13, 2024

Clarste posted:

I don't know why we would ever visit another Xianzhou ship when there are so many other places to explore. Maybe add a new little area to the Luofu for a short side chapter, like Ruan Mei's stuff on the space station or Topaz's stuff in Belabog.

Because the Hunt vs Abundance plotline is so undercooked its basically still raw? That there was literally a cliffhanger at the end of Jingliu's quest where she and Luocha are getting hauled off to another Xianzhou ship ~*~all according to keikaku~*~?

I admit it may not literally be just another ship. Like isn't there a Xianzhou ship that crashed on a planet in the lore for the Broken Keel set? We could go there for some reason. Heck, maybe another Xianzhou ship or Abundance assholes will also be there for shenanigans!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Hunt's war against the Abundance has been ongoing for thousands of years across hundreds of worlds. It's an eternal war happening in the background that just adds some flavor to the setting. I don't see why it needs to be resolved.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Jingliu's trial definitely seems like something they intend to resolve in the future.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That can just be a flashback they show while they resolve the plot in a Luofu side area. You don't need to visit a whole new ship for it.

librarerun
Feb 13, 2024

Clarste posted:

The Hunt's war against the Abundance has been ongoing for thousands of years across hundreds of worlds. It's an eternal war happening in the background that just adds some flavor to the setting. I don't see why it needs to be resolved.

I never said resolved. I doubt they'll "resolve" anything until EoL. I'm just saying they teased a lot of ideas and conflicts in the Luofu concerning the Hunt and the Abundance that they did almost nothing with, and I'm not convinced quick like one-off questlines on the Luofu are enough to really address those concepts satisfactorily. The Abundance factions are basically saturday morning cartoon villains for how much they've been developed so far, for example (though you can levy this criticism at the Destruction factions too).

The fact we still have to get Hunt and Abundance paths for the Trailblazer probably years from now alone tells me this plotline is nowhere near done and dusted.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The best way to develop the Abundance further would surely be to visit an Abundance world and see their side of the story, no? You could even have the Xianzhou peeps show up as aggressors or something. I just don't see them visiting Space China again for no reason when they could further expand the setting by going literally anywhere else.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

as a first time gacha-er is the taking literal years for anything to pay off a common issue or specifically a hoyo one? when I realized most characters are gonna be permanently stuck at the start or early third of their implied arcs I got a lot less interested in pulling for people.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Valentin posted:

as a first time gacha-er is the taking literal years for anything to pay off a common issue or specifically a hoyo one? when I realized most characters are gonna be permanently stuck at the start or early third of their implied arcs I got a lot less interested in pulling for people.

I think any live service game is going to stretch things out but it's especially pronounced in the Hoyoverse games, yes. Especially since they have this weird practice of edging the lore fiends by teasing that THIS will be the time that any of that stuff is going to be important and appear in the actual plot, for sure.

mycot fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 6, 2024

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm cool with never going back to the Luofu

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Clarste posted:

because the script says so.

every year or so kafka shows up to be an annoyance and drag us to another ship for unexplained reasons. maybe get to witness some hundreds-years-old drama that's got nothing to do with us or (sensibly) anyone we know. it'll be grand.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Valentin posted:

partly live service, partly mihoyo. fgo gives characters a pretty big conclusion in their debut appearance, usually, but that game also has more characters and a pretty different storytelling style

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Valentin posted:

Arknights just recently had an event focusing on the tutorial character, ie: the character who was introduced as a dumb rookie to give an excuse to explain everything to the player. It's been 4 years.

Edit: It was a good event though, made me cry.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

One of the leaked characters is the general of another Xianzhou ship, so I think it's highly likely that we'll be returning to the Xianzhou

Anyway the problem with Xianzhou's story was never Xianzhou itself but the writing. If Penacony's story was told the same way as Luofu's it would've flopped too. I don't see why there would be any inherent problem with going back to the Xianzhou.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

the combat zones on the Luofu are also particular bad and maze like

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's an MMO and not a gacha but Final Fantasy 14 is a live service game that has plots spanning several real life years and multiple expansions but (with one notorious exception) I feel like it generally didn't rely on characters not revealing or doing anything of note to keep things mysterious.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

One of the leaked characters is the general of another Xianzhou ship, so I think it's highly likely that we'll be returning to the Xianzhou

Anyway the problem with Xianzhou's story was never Xianzhou itself but the writing. If Penacony's story was told the same way as Luofu's it would've flopped too. I don't see why there would be any inherent problem with going back to the Xianzhou.

I have never said that we won't go back to the exact ship we were already on. I said it seems unlikely that they will add an entire new planet that's just Space China again. Any revisiting of Xianzhou Alliance stuff can easily take place on the Luofu, much like we keep revisiting Belabog and Herta Space Station.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 6, 2024

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Valentin posted:

It’s more like a space opera tv show - you’ve got a large cast of recurring characters that are going to swing in and out of the overarching plot across seasons as we explore the galaxy running alongside smaller, tighter dramatic storylines and filler episodes. You’ll get some development over time but it’s not going to be a video game where we follow one story sequentially and 80 hours later we’ve finished it, this is one of those 100+ episode series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

well, but in a space opera TV show where I am (again, Luofu) I would also expect more from March or welt or himeko or even dan heng at this time; they still feel mostly like props, even with the moon drinker stuff. It's not a matter of not many characters to latch on to where I am so much as it's zero. Sounds like Penacony picks it up a bit, though.

e: and the character missions do better with some of this stuff; I'm enjoying fyxestroll garden and other stuff as perfectly fine light genre stuff. it's the main story I find surprisingly slight, especially for the amount of lines in it versus the amount of characterization people actually get. we spent a lot of words to say really very little on belobog and the luofu.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 6, 2024