Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Fast Luck posted:

there was a random Australian Survivor challenge where they went to a river with a strong current and they just had sets of two people face off swimming against the current. If you're first to reach a certain forward point you win, or if you get pulled backwards past a certain point you lose. It wasn't the greatest challenge ever but it was one of the most memorable because it was so simple and so different from anything else you see.

There was a challenge on UK Survivor (RIP) where they did a similar thing with both tribes racing round an oval track in the sea going through the shallows and deeper water. It was fun because one tribe basically told all the women to gently caress off we big men got this and they got completely owned. I assume that was an Aussie challenge originally too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
It's interesting how completely Venus' vocal presentation changes from confessionals/camp life and tribal council.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

njsykora posted:

There was a challenge on UK Survivor (RIP) where they did a similar thing with both tribes racing round an oval track in the sea going through the shallows and deeper water. It was fun because one tribe basically told all the women to gently caress off we big men got this and they got completely owned. I assume that was an Aussie challenge originally too.

I think we first saw it on Survivor Palau

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Yes, that is “Hot Pursuit”, a top 3 of all time challenge

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

mp5 posted:

Yes, that is “Hot Pursuit”, a top 3 of all time challenge

A challenge they, notably, can't do with three tribes!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

curiousCat posted:

A challenge they, notably, can't do with three tribes!

perfect for mergatory :v:

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Watching Australian survivor and it is just a level above the us show. Watching heroes vs villains and the tribal where George demonstrated why he called himself king George by outing the knowledge about Simon’s (fake) idol, betrayed that Jordie told him about said idol, got Simon to not play the idol to save an ally, then kept said ally around and instead picked off someone else. Just loving wild.

Also big lol that production has put out fake idols out for people to find? Im not far enough along to know if they turn out to mean anything yet.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012

Demon_Corsair posted:

Watching Australian survivor and it is just a level above the us show. Watching heroes vs villains and the tribal where George demonstrated why he called himself king George by outing the knowledge about Simon’s (fake) idol, betrayed that Jordie told him about said idol, got Simon to not play the idol to save an ally, then kept said ally around and instead picked off someone else. Just loving wild.

Also big lol that production has put out fake idols out for people to find? Im not far enough along to know if they turn out to mean anything yet.

That is easily the all time best tribal of any survivor, just incredible play. Also for your second point keep watching

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

STING 64 posted:

perfect for mergatory :v:

Unironically if they ditched the rock draw and did a schoolyard pick at the mergeatory instead it could work.

They ran Hot Pursuit in Gabon without any water in sight and it worked great! It doesn’t have to be like it was in Palau.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
What was the season where the two tribes played paired tag where the players were tied together. One race had the biggest dude and the smallest dude together and IIRC the big dude’s chasing injured the small guy and he was like “you hurt me” and the big guy was “I don’t care”.

I think I stopped watching shortly thereafter because the show was just not really fun anymore.

Then I got hooked into the all winner season and… yeah.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Nystral posted:

What was the season where the two tribes played paired tag where the players were tied together. One race had the biggest dude and the smallest dude together and IIRC the big dude’s chasing injured the small guy and he was like “you hurt me” and the big guy was “I don’t care”.

I think I stopped watching shortly thereafter because the show was just not really fun anymore.

Then I got hooked into the all winner season and… yeah.

Micronesia, Chet and uh... Joel?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pinterest Mom posted:

Micronesia, Chet and uh... Joel?

Yeah, that was during a time on the show when they thought it would be funny to constantly pair gay men with boorish homophobes. After all, it was charming with Richard and Rudy in season 1, although not so charming when it happened again in season 3 with Brandon and Frank, in season 4 with John and Boston Rob, etc

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Chet got such a raw deal man

(At the time)

mp5 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 6, 2024

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/ue5tu4/chet_has_something_to_say_about_survivor_was_joel/

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

We are all multitudes I guess

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
When did they start making HIIs look like low-effort 'take the beads off of water bottles and put them on a string' fake idols? I assume they did this to make it easier to make fake idols.....

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

When did they start making HIIs look like low-effort 'take the beads off of water bottles and put them on a string' fake idols? I assume they did this to make it easier to make fake idols.....

The best was when they paired each tribe’s idol with a fake idol and the fake idol looked like another tribe’s real idol.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I appreciated the cobble together a special trinket from your tribe mates HII, that was pretty cool. Maybe make it into assemble a HII from various parts at camp as a renewable concept?

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
I'm glad they pulled back on the production-supplied fake idol thing after 44, and I'm curious if after that they now inform players at the start of the game that they no longer provide fake immunity idols. They always have these wacky ideas and don't think up the long-term implications like "if players feel like they have a 50/50 shot an idol is even real, they will stop playing the idols altogether" when they actively want people playing idols for these big explosive moments.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the motivation for the bead idols was that it’s easier to hide them aka will you fuckers stop blabbing to the whole drat beach the second you find an idol?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I always thought it would be a cool idea to hide a hidden immunity idol in the regular immunity idol

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They loving go look for idols in big groups now. It’s infuriating. They’re all some weird trial thing too but I guess that’s better than Ben getting a million idols to go right into final 3.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
At this point I wonder if it's more valuable to know where a beware/idol is than actually doing it yourself. So if you find the beware, maybe put it back and lead somebody else to it. You can take advantage of that knowledge in any number of ways depending on how things go, but you're not the one with the monkey on your back.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It feels like that's the direction the players are being pushed in. Having the advantage itself now makes you a Target. Therefore a way to allow players to continue to strategize after finding it is to tie knowledge of the immunity to something useless like the box. Now players can share that they have found 'something' without it being a risk to share because hey, they haven't opened it yet.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Been watching Pearl Islands as I've mentioned. Just saw Rupert get voted out. He was so sad! He was great to watch but he was actually a pretty big bully. Just trying to intimidate people. It's easy to say that no one should actually feel threatened and they can just disregard it, but I'm sure when you're there getting scared you actually feel like you need to go along with him. I want to look up more about him but I know he was on at least one additional season so don't want to get spoiled.

It's interesting that Burton and Fairplay had two 5 person groups to go with and they just had to pick one. I guess you're thinking about which one you can trust to actually get to the last 5 and then which of those groups you can beat.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

He's on... 3 more seasons? And also a season of TAR (a pretty good one!)!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think I've said this before but Rupert has got to be the weirdest/dumbest fan favorite I've ever seen because he has like zero likable qualities for me. He was even an rear end in a top hat on TAR iirc.

Septimius
Aug 23, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I think I've said this before but Rupert has got to be the weirdest/dumbest fan favorite I've ever seen because he has like zero likable qualities for me. He was even an rear end in a top hat on TAR iirc.

The editors made him look like aquaman with the speargun before we found out it wasn't such a hard skill, the strength challenges weren't balanced around body weight, which made him seem impressive. He also had a sob story if I remember correctly, before it became standard for the entire cast to have one. Those are my pretty hazy memories from 20 years ago anyway.

Septimius fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 7, 2024

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Septimius posted:

He also had a sob story if I remember correctly, before it became standard for the entire cast to have one. Those are my pretty hazy memories from 20 years ago anyway.

I believe it was that he was bullied a lot as a kid, and he was running a camp for troubled youths.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Just after his season aired he wrote an autobiography called Just Being Me :barf:

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I love Rupert, in spite of myself. I especially love him (Season 8 spoilers)going all Aguirre, the wrath of God, and trying to drown the tribe in his death cellar. Just think, Indiana could have had him as governor but they elected Mike Pence instead.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Wasn't he a lolbertarian?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Propaganda Machine posted:

Wasn't he a lolbertarian?

Ran against Mike Pence for governor of Indiana in 2012

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007
To be more specific, yes he ran as a third party libertarian/lolertarian for governor and received a whopping 100,000 votes

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

should have played an idol on pence

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I’m surprised nobody has ever made a joke during the finale reading of the winner votes and played a pretend idol on one of the others in the final 3

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

TheCenturion posted:

Btw this is in fact exactly why they started doing it. To make fakes realer and make real idols faker. Source: read an interview once or something

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

That is easily the all time best tribal of any survivor, just incredible play. Also for your second point keep watching

What a stupid loving twist. How is it a clue to a hidden coconut that you would need to find like any other idol any sort of clue at all. And didn’t someone else find that idol without having this “clue” in one of the camps?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

just had a random thought about Winners at War, how it's sort of funny that they didn't think their Extinction Island winner was worth bringing back but then they still brought back Extinction Island. so they're like this twist produces bad winners that we don't want. Let's use this twist again

(obviously I think that was because if they were bringing back all these legends they wanted to make sure they/the audience got their moneys worth, but still

way too big a of a theory to make based on post-season contestant vibes this season: kind of wondering if Venus beats all of her tribe but then none of them vote for her at the end or something. There seems to be mutual bitterness and Hunter's midseason interview went to pains to both say "we totally would've worked with Venus" (ie you shouldn't have voted us out) but also "Venus kind of sucked" (ie thats why we didn't vote for her). and then she was pissed off and slammed the interview (because she lost).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Demon_Corsair posted:

What a stupid loving twist. How is it a clue to a hidden coconut that you would need to find like any other idol any sort of clue at all. And didn’t someone else find that idol without having this “clue” in one of the camps?
I don't think this was even intended as a "twist" really... Basically if you find some random medallion with no note or anything on it, the natural first question should be "What is this? What does this mean?" not "I have an idol now." I do agree it was pretty superfluous. Iirc it was hidden in the cookies for kind of goes both ways for Simon: it was a better clue for him than for the other tribe since someone was guaranteed to find it, and most likely find it before the actual idol, allowing them to use it correctly. Otoh it being in the cookies where idols/advantages often are there was some more room for confusion. I definitely don't think it was dumb though because it gave us a lot of gold, and I don't think anything nefarious or misleading was actually intended with it.