Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Jesus III posted:

They get paid more than teachers, fight less than one fire a month and have outstanding benefits, I'm not crying for them.

Only a limited number of "run into the burning building and spray water" calls, sure, but there is approximately 1.8 metric poo poo-tons of other calls they go on and other stuff they end up doing. It's really quite common to throw out your back as a truckie because they get called in all the time when you need more hands to lift the 300 pound patient off of a couch and get them down three flights of stairs that two guys on an ambulance have no hope of doing on their own.

And again, the outstanding benefits are just brain-meltingly dependent on location and context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
i dont trust americans to be able to decide whether a job is essential or not. being an "essential" sandwich maker during the pandemic made sure of that

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
It was incredible how fast "unskilled" became "essential" and then went right back to "unskilled".

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

bird food bathtub posted:

Only a limited number of "run into the burning building and spray water" calls, sure, but there is approximately 1.8 metric poo poo-tons of other calls they go on and other stuff they end up doing. It's really quite common to throw out your back as a truckie because they get called in all the time when you need more hands to lift the 300 pound patient off of a couch and get them down three flights of stairs that two guys on an ambulance have no hope of doing on their own.

And again, the outstanding benefits are just brain-meltingly dependent on location and context.

Yep. Worth remembering too that outside the big metros a lot of departments only have a couple full timers and the rest are volunteers.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The "right to strike" does not mean "the right to withhold your work", it means "the right to not get fired for withholding your work". The railroad workers could have refused to show up to work anyway, they just would have lost legal protection against being fired, facing disciplinary measures, or facing other such consequences for failing to show up to work.

But putting all that aside, striking is a threat, a nuclear option meant to break a stalemate by forcing a conflict. A government intervention to avert or end a strike does not necessarily mean that the strike failed. It depends on exactly how the government intervenes, and what the actual result is. And the results can vary widely! On one end of the spectrum, there was the steelworkers' strike that led Truman to attempt to nationalize the steel mills. On the other side of the spectrum, there was Reagan replacing all the air traffic controllers with military scabs, banning the striking air traffic controllers from federal employment for life, and dissolving the air traffic controllers' union. Of course, that's not necessarily as far right as it goes; there's numerous historical incidents where governments sent in troops to intimidate and brutalize strikers into breaking.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

There's a fascinating article I read a couple years ago about fluorine foam and the culture around using it
The New Foam

It’s basically the way to fight fires of oil on-top of water. One will see that one and flouroprotean foams. Basically the goal is to have a foam that doesn’t break down with interaction with oil. The secondary characteristic of breaking the reaction, which the flouro part does is also extremely desirable. Some of the European high mist systems used in buildings used similar PFAS chemicals for b the same characteristics and I think those also are banned now.

It’s going to be really hard to replace. They might continue to use it on ships for a long time even after it goes away on shore. The argument there is that yes it can be collected on a ship engine room fire.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Sounds like there's a pretty high market demand for firefighters in the West! Maybe if there were some sort of organized body of firefighters which could recruit and train new firefighters and help them negotiate a wage . . . what would we call that. . .

There's Firefighter unions in the west. They're pretty good at getting what they want from negotiations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

World Famous W posted:

i dont trust americans

thread title imo

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kith posted:

thread title imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qozwEjRoUbg

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Looks like they’re giving parts of the Student Aid forgiveness another run.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/05/us/politics/biden-student-loan-debt.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Apparently new rules will be published in the next few weeks. Mostly aimed at folks having problems.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

The "right to strike" does not mean "the right to withhold your work", it means "the right to not get fired for withholding your work". The railroad workers could have refused to show up to work anyway, they just would have lost legal protection against being fired, facing disciplinary measures, or facing other such consequences for failing to show up to work.

But putting all that aside, striking is a threat, a nuclear option meant to break a stalemate by forcing a conflict. A government intervention to avert or end a strike does not necessarily mean that the strike failed. It depends on exactly how the government intervenes, and what the actual result is. And the results can vary widely! On one end of the spectrum, there was the steelworkers' strike that led Truman to attempt to nationalize the steel mills. On the other side of the spectrum, there was Reagan replacing all the air traffic controllers with military scabs, banning the striking air traffic controllers from federal employment for life, and dissolving the air traffic controllers' union. Of course, that's not necessarily as far right as it goes; there's numerous historical incidents where governments sent in troops to intimidate and brutalize strikers into breaking.

Notably, in the case of the railroads "other such consequences" includes fines up to $1000-$20,000 a day and zero days to six months of jail time per day of striking. There is also an interesting legal argument, that if you are a railway employee, you cannot be enslaved to work on the railroad as part of your sentence. From the full text "Provided, That nothing in this chapter shall be construed to require an individual employee to render labor or service without his consent nor shall anything in this chapter be construed to make the quitting of his labor by an individual employee an illegal act; nor shall any court issue any process to compel the performance by an individual employee of such labor or service, without his consent."

selec
Sep 6, 2003

https://twitter.com/HassanElTayyab/status/1776379119082565793

This feels like a major shift. Pelosi is on board with this. Feels like Biden was way out on a limb on his own, and everybody else was waiting for him to wise up, and are now done waiting?

It's too little/too late for me, but amazing to see the shift that seven dead westerners makes when we're over 30,000 dead Palestinians. Disgusting, but unsurprising.

I saw a glib take on Twitter that said the only reason we're seeing movement is every gerontocrat in DC is terrified of being 86'd from the only Michelin-starred restaurant in town.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What's all this about the border anyway?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

selec posted:

I saw a glib take on Twitter that said the only reason we're seeing movement is every gerontocrat in DC is terrified of being 86'd from the only Michelin-starred restaurant in town.

fact check: there are 25 michelin star restaurants in DC

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
ive recently learn that michelin is the same michelin as in the tire.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

ive recently learn that michelin is the same michelin as in the tire.

I thought I heard they started rating restaurants to get people to go out and drive more to them.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kdrudy posted:

I thought I heard they started rating restaurants to get people to go out and drive more to them.

Essentially, yes. The guides also initially had car maintenance info, maps, etc.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

to promote travel, michelin puts out travel guides. they also do bars, hotels, local attractions. you gotta get people to use those tires.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It is funny that it became this super prestigious snobby thing though. I mean look at this fuckin guy

baby godzilla marshmellow motherfucker

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

lobster shirt posted:

to promote travel, michelin puts out travel guides. they also do bars, hotels, local attractions. you gotta get people to use those tires.

I always use public transit to get to Michelin star restaurants. Checkmate tire company.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

the michelin star has become a profoundly cursed thing over the years, and these days it mostly tells you "this place drives its staff like slaves to create deranged visual food displays that cannot violate various rich people's taboos of Sufficiently Bourgeois Food" and the more stars you have the more likely you're paying 500 or more dollars for a dish that isn't actually better than what you can get at a decent waffle house, but overworked staff spend hours using magnifying glasses and tweezers to ensure no pith discoloration remains on orange slices or whatever

and then occasionally a restaurant will lose a star because one of their perpetually exhausted secret food reviewers with a personal memorized library of Food Sins will show up and go "MY MERCIFUL STARS, THIS ISN'T A SAVOYARD CHEESE IN THIS SOUFFLE! IT HAS CHEDDAR CHEESE IN IT! THIS ESTABLISH-MENT USES GARBAGE PEASANT CHEESES, YOUR THIRD STAR IS F O R F E I T" and the chef goes into a depression for six months about it because it permanently harmed their reputation even though what actually happened is that it wasn't cheddar, it was Proper Rich French People Cheese with a different color because the dish had saffron in it, and this created a legal case called "cheddar-gate" and i'm not actually making this up this was basically what happened

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Professor Beetus posted:

It is funny that it became this super prestigious snobby thing though. I mean look at this fuckin guy

baby godzilla marshmellow motherfucker
Please use his proper name (Bibendum)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I always use public transit to get to Michelin star restaurants. Checkmate tire company.

the bus, also has tires

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Staluigi posted:

and the chef goes into a depression for six months about it because it permanently harmed their reputation even though what actually happened is that it wasn't cheddar, it was Proper Rich French People Cheese with a different color because the dish had saffron in it, and this created a legal case called "cheddar-gate" and i'm not actually making this up this was basically what happened

quote:

Veyrat, 69, said he learned of the downgrade only when he read the guide and it left his kitchen staff in tears and threw him into a profound depression lasting several months. He told France 2 television it was the most terrible thing to have happened to him. “It’s worse than the loss of my parents, worse than anything,” he said.

"Worse than my parents dying" is a bit much.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
oh also Guinness_World_Records is the beer.

drunks arguing poo poo or attempting to break (dumb) records has an official book. also I guess bartenders have a nice hard cover to smack drunks with. (though the pages aret particularly tough or water proof.)

any way those are my two examples of a unique company name being the same company, there's probably several other glaringly obvious examples.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Boris Galerkin posted:

"Worse than my parents dying" is a bit much.

not if you have an anxious all-or-nothing mindset, those types end up spiraling into horrifying depression cycles over anything that caused them to slip from their present validations of self worth

it can be worse for your mental health than deaths in the family because the deaths were not your fault. and who better to fit the perfectionist anxiety template than a hyperobsessive triple michelin star chef

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm gonna be honest I got to eat at a Michelin starred restaurant once, for a work thing with my client, and I get it. I didn't get it before. But those restaurants are legitimately incredible. Probably helped that I didn't have to pay at the end.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

PhazonLink posted:

oh also Guinness_World_Records is the beer.

drunks arguing poo poo or attempting to break (dumb) records has an official book. also I guess bartenders have a nice hard cover to smack drunks with. (though the pages aret particularly tough or water proof.)

any way those are my two examples of a unique company name being the same company, there's probably several other glaringly obvious examples.

To be clear : they use about the level of intellectual rigor you’d expect out of a beer company. It’s pretty much just a racket.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Staluigi posted:

not if you have an anxious all-or-nothing mindset, those types end up spiraling into horrifying depression cycles over anything that caused them to slip from their present validations of self worth

it can be worse for your mental health than deaths in the family because the deaths were not your fault. and who better to fit the perfectionist anxiety template than a hyperobsessive triple michelin star chef

Alternatively, one obvious psychological recourse there can, if verbalized, probably undermine your claim for damages in your legal case:

quote:

Veyrat, 69, had sought a symbolic one euro in damages, not least over his claimed depression after losing the star, but the court said he had not provided any documented proof of his losses.

The showman chef, known as much for his ubiquitous black Savoyard hat as his “botanical” creations from local herbs and produce, had already said he had no need of any Michelin accolades.

"I really don't need them," Veyrat told AFP shortly before the ruling, saying business was up seven percent over the past year.

"Even between Christmas and New Year's Day, we're fully booked. We've never been this busy," he added.
"At this rate, I wish they'd take away all my stars!"

Maybe wait till after the ruling before you do the dril tweet at the press.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm gonna be honest I got to eat at a Michelin starred restaurant once, for a work thing with my client, and I get it. I didn't get it before. But those restaurants are legitimately incredible. Probably helped that I didn't have to pay at the end.

Same. The one I ate at was in France and it was beyond incredible.

In a million years I wouldn’t have paid what it cost though.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Interestingly, I ate at a Michelin-starred Sichuan restaurant in Manhattan once and I thought that my local Brooklyn Sichuan spot was better. It was one star if I recall correctly and not particularly fancy.

I also ate at this other very unique and fancy Sichuan place in Manhattan and the food was just very interesting with combinations I've never had before. Not Michelin-starred.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
If you go off their Bib Gourmand(named after said michelin man) lists, you can find good places to eat that are affordable but also impressive.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Jaxyon posted:

If you go off their Bib Gourmand(named after said michelin man) lists, you can find good places to eat that are affordable but also impressive.

i mean it was pretty obvious bib had been eating well before the events of BOBF

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Are there any environmental lawyers here that I can talk to? I'd like to bounce an idea off someone, but it's kinda specific.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Are there any environmental lawyers here that I can talk to? I'd like to bounce an idea off someone, but it's kinda specific.

Jeff Clark has a lot of time on his hands.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm quite well versed in bird law, would that help?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Does it involve... trees?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Can anyone explain to me what's going on with Mexico and Ecuador? Like the article feels like its missing some key context?

quote:

Mexico is breaking diplomatic ties with Ecuador after police raided its embassy in Quito to arrest former Ecuadorian Vice President Jorge Glas.

Confirming the move in a statement to CNNE, a foreign ministry spokesperson said that all Mexican diplomatic staff would leave Ecuador immediately

Ecuadorian police stormed the Mexican embassy in Ecuador’s capital Quito on Friday night to arrest the former vice president, who is seeking asylum there, an escalation of tensions that Mexico decried as “an outrage against international law.”

Video from the scene showed police officers massing around the embassy, some armed. Embassies are generally considered as protected spaces under diplomatic norms.

A rift between the two Latin American countries had been growing since Mexico’s decision to grant political asylum to Glas, vice president under leftist ex-President Rafael Correa between 2013 and 2017.

Convicted twice on corruption charges, Glas says he is the subject of political persecution and had been sheltering inside the embassy.

But on Friday, Mexican president Andrés Manuel López Obrador, on his official X account, said he had been informed that “police from Ecuador forcibly entered” the Mexican embassy and took Glas – who “was a refugee and processing asylum because of the persecution and harassment he faces.”

A statement released by Ecuador’s government on X also confirmed the arrest.

Glas was “sentenced to imprisonment by the Ecuadorian justice system,” the statement from Ecuador’s government read, and was “arrested tonight and placed under the orders of the competent authorities.” He had been granted diplomatic asylum “contrary to the conventional legal framework,” the government said.

“What you have just seen is an outrage against international law and the inviolability of the Mexican embassy in Ecuador,” Roberto Canseco, head of chancellery and policy affairs of the Mexican embassy, told a reporter from CNNE, calling Glas’s arrest “totally unacceptable.”

“It is barbarism,” Canseco added. “It is impossible for them to violate the diplomatic premises as they have done.”

Mexico plans to lodge a complaint with the International Court of Justice to denounce the Ecuadorian police’s actions, the spokesperson for Mexico’s Secretary of Foreign Affairs added.

Mexico’s Secretary of Foreign Affairs, Alicia Bárcena, said there had been no prior contact with Ecuador’s foreign ministry about the arrest and that Canseco was physically attacked during the arrest.

Adding to current tensions was Lopez Obrador’s apparent criticism of Ecuador’s recent elections, saying the 2023 run-off vote took place in a “very strange” manner and suggesting that presidential candidates had used the media, presidential candidate Fernando Villavicencio’s assassination and overall violence in their favor while campaigning.

The rift resulted in a series of diplomatic provocations this week, that also included Ecuador rejecting Mexico’s ambassador to the country, who was declared “persona non grata.”

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

small butter posted:

Interestingly, I ate at a Michelin-starred Sichuan restaurant in Manhattan once and I thought that my local Brooklyn Sichuan spot was better. It was one star if I recall correctly and not particularly fancy.

I also ate at this other very unique and fancy Sichuan place in Manhattan and the food was just very interesting with combinations I've never had before. Not Michelin-starred.

Sichuan food is by far my favorite food after spending time in China, and I've found the more fancy Sichuan places can be good but it just really isn't the same as the authentic sichuan dishes you'd find in a regular mom and pop place in China or the equivalent over here. Like they are using similar ingredients and flavor profiles, but it's basically a whole new thing at that point if you try and make it fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

Can anyone explain to me what's going on with Mexico and Ecuador? Like the article feels like its missing some key context?
In no particular order:
Raiding an embassy is a huge no-no in international politics, that's why you get absurd stuff like Assange living in the (checks notes) Ecuadorian(!) embassy for years.

Mexico is run by a firebrand populist who has strong ideological ties to the Ecuadorian left that lost the 2023 election.

Ecuador's new president is the youngest ever and also might be super wealthy (or just normal wealthy and kinda shady). He came out of nowhere in 2023.

It is overall a lot of weird and fast escalations by both sides.