Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Nybble posted:

AC good for bots

GL good for bugs? Or should I be taking AC there too?

GL is good in every situation but it really shines against bugs. You can clear out bug nests in record time and It completely negates bile spewers, you'll want to shut those down asap in difficulty 7+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hwurmp posted:

lol contact mines on Durgen are an absolute menace

I have never died more often or more stupidly

Is that a planet with red ground/vegetation? Contact mines suuuuck on those planets.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nybble posted:

AC good for bots

GL good for bugs? Or should I be taking AC there too?

I think mobility is more useful against bugs than bots, so while the AC is still good, the ability to reload on the move as well as the better AoE of the GL makes me favor it with bugs.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Back Hack posted:

The one where he hits the tower behind the robot?

i don't think that the blast radius is 200 meters but it would be cool if it was

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Back Hack posted:

The one where he hits the tower behind the robot?

???????

that detection tower is waaaay off in the distance bro

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Schwawa posted:

not to be an rear end in a top hat but have you tried just aiming for their faces? I feel like I pop devvy heads like crazy with the sickle, like I'm always surprised by how fast they go down. Plus you can just sweep it over a big pack of little guys at roughly head height and you'll usually get most of them.

to be fair I only took it on one mission, where I was primarily using the AC. I'll give it another shot

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
-1 stratagem kinda sucks and I wish it wasn’t so prevalent on everything 8+. It’s not even that it’s hard, it’s just boring how it limits your loadouts.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

apparently a hellpod impact can break open containers

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

causticBeet posted:

-1 stratagem kinda sucks and I wish it wasn’t so prevalent on everything 8+. It’s not even that it’s hard, it’s just boring how it limits your loadouts.

Yeah I think it's a little cheap and unimaginative to build so much of the gameplay around stratagems then gently caress with them in ways that IMO simply aren't interesting like "you get one fewer."

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Threw the 380mm at some robot command bunkers at level eight today, it was pretty good. Three out of three blew up. Looks like they're so big even the 380 can't miss them. I got to use it a couple of times against big robot groups while running away, too, and it killed, ah, a couple each time

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

i don't think that the blast radius is 200 meters but it would be cool if it was

Mazerunner posted:

???????

that detection tower is waaaay off in the distance bro

I'm dropping this after this post, because this argument we're having here is kind of pointless...however, in this frame, you can clearly see, he hit the tower.

https://imgur.com/SWQRDCr

There. I'm done. Take it or leave it, it doesn't matter. We'll probably be getting the weapon soon enough and we'll probably be both wrong, where it turns out it's remote-detonated by hold down the trigger or something.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I am loving filling the niche role of squad Spearman while fighting bots mostly because of their turret killing ability. My group constantly got repeatedly killed by cannon turrets that they lost track of and being able to efficiently wipe them out from a mile away has made our runs go so much smoother.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Does the stealth armor help you lose bits that already activated or just passive patrols?

They seem to lose track of you much more easily and get distracted by any other explosions or noises, so it's really easy to give them the slip. Once in another mission I stumbled on two patrols and just immediately went prone and slithered between them, like 5 metres away, they never noticed me.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Back Hack posted:

I'm dropping this after this post, because this argument we're having here is kind of pointless...however, in this frame, you can clearly see, he hit the tower.

https://imgur.com/SWQRDCr

There. I'm done. Take it or leave it, it doesn't matter. We'll probably be getting the weapon soon enough and we'll probably be both wrong, where it turns out it's remote-detonated by hold down the trigger or something.

the people who have actually played with it, in the comments, said its proximity detonation and you can kill ground stuff by shooting it over their heads. I don't know what to tell you other than you are wrong and stubborn

and it does not hit the tower, it flew over their heads and detonated. The tower is way in the distance

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

RoyalScion posted:

The 110 rocket pods would be nice if it more reliably hit things, but it will even miss stationary things pretty often so I find it hard to recommend even against bots.

The rocket pods suck poo poo and are a waste of a stratagem slot. It doesn't even kill all of the enemies in the demo video which is the first red flag.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

When it's good it's good, but I don't think I've ever played a game where pubbies sometimes manage to be such imbeciles.

On Blitz. Time ran out after some harrowing battles, so we were all heading to the extract to at least get a whole bunch of samples out of it. One dude gets there first and extracts alone, leaving the rest of his team and all the samples behind.
When time runs out and the destroyers leave the 20s evac timer starts as soon as the Pelican lands regardless of if anyone is onboard or not, so he was right to get on.

Horace Kinch posted:

The rocket pods suck poo poo and are a waste of a stratagem slot. It doesn't even kill all of the enemies in the demo video which is the first red flag.
They're very good at killing tanks and can also kill fabricators and cannon turrets in a pinch but I wouldn't trust them to kill anything else.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

if anyone was wondering if you can trigger the random hellbombs with a melee the answer is yes.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I know people are mostly fighting bots at the moment but if you haven't tried the breaker incendiary against bugs you need to. With the increased direct damage and fire damage it now actually fulfills the fantasy of "sweeping shots across a herd of small bugs, setting them all on fire, and watching them fall over a second or two later." And medium bugs die in one burst at short range or a couple of seconds later.

Dropped next to a shrieker nest? As long as a single pellet hits one it's dead in two seconds.

As a bonus, you get kill credit for anything that dies while on fire. I ended up with over 600 kills one mission.

(I wasn't the host afaik. At least I didn't start the missions.)

Oh the fire grenades are good too. They do close holes and dropping one on a breach kills every small bug that comes out of it for a while.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 6, 2024

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

okay so just had one of my more fun experiences played Hard with a level 30+ and a level 11. its the mission ending with launching a nuke. we were clearing everything out when the level 30+ guy suddenly dropped in the middle of antagonizing a bunch of nests so the level 11 guy and i spent the rest of the round running for our lives completing the objectives. we ran out of time so we had to fend off the 3-4 huge waves of bugs as we waited for the emergency shuttle to land.

i'm sure stories like this are common but man its so fun

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Pretty sure it's just gas strikes do nothing, not that dots in general don't do damage under certain circumstances. Host tried gas strike and it did no noticable damage.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

So this was a new one - Pelican landed crooked somehow and angled itself such that nobody could walk in. You can kinda see the ocean of Hulks and Devastators that were closing in on us from the left. The only reason it says "Shuttle Departing" at the top is because someone got lucky and managed to clip their way into the trigger zone by crawling up to it in just the right way.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 6, 2024

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Strong Sauce posted:

okay so just had one of my more fun experiences played Hard with a level 30+ and a level 11. its the mission ending with launching a nuke. we were clearing everything out when the level 30+ guy suddenly dropped in the middle of antagonizing a bunch of nests so the level 11 guy and i spent the rest of the round running for our lives completing the objectives. we ran out of time so we had to fend off the 3-4 huge waves of bugs as we waited for the emergency shuttle to land.

This game is at its best when poo poo has hit the fan and you still manage to complete objectives and extract

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I stg every time I give the 500 a chance it just disappoints. Not mad about dying, mad about the hulk surviving one exploding in its face.
https://i.imgur.com/97Nhadj.mp4

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Eediot Jedi posted:

I stg every time I give the 500 a chance it just disappoints. Not mad about dying, mad about the hulk surviving one exploding in its face.

Using a macro for strategems?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Eediot Jedi posted:

wtf lol

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

BitBasher posted:

Using a macro for strategems?

Nope. Rebound the keys to the arrow keys, so I can run around but can't aim while inputting.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

yeah, I really want to like the 110s because it sounds really useful, but they're only good at killing tanks. and tanks are actually pretty easy to deal with (for example with two impact nades), so there's not much reason for the 110s

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
Waiting for next warbond perk that let's you bring 1 extra stratagem :dance:

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

hey mom its 420 posted:

yeah, I really want to like the 110s because it sounds really useful, but they're only good at killing tanks. and tanks are actually pretty easy to deal with (for example with two impact nades), so there's not much reason for the 110s

I switch between them and eagle cluster depending on what other people are bringing. It's not as good as orbital rail but you get many more uses from it and let's be honest, the one hit kill is rare so doing a lot of damage to a turret or straight up killing a tank is pretty solid.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I love my big beautiful 500kg bomb

Also, it is so cool that they let you pick and change the fire rate of the hmg. I've found myself using it more as a primary than a special 3rd weapon, switching firing rates depending on the distance of engagement. Slower is great for further, middle is decent anywhere, and fastest is great for when you're being overrun and need bullets right now. Clip size is the only downside.

I've also been gravitating towards the marksman rifles on highest zoom, feels really great to sneak around in scout armor popping heads. When stealth fails, out comes the hmg and bombs.

Game is good as hell

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Arglebargle III posted:

Anti-materiel rifle is surprisingly good against bots, I find myself killing hulks with it more often than with the recoilless rifle or laser cannon. And against devastators it's the bee's knees. The key advantage is that by being far away from the rockets and flamethrowers, I'm not getting killed by the rockets and flamethrowers.

yeah AMR and marksman rifle (iirc) is a solid early combo, the marksman rifle chews through the smaller and medium ones, the AMR will pop the larger.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Strong Sauce posted:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lobok posted:

Is that a planet with red ground/vegetation? Contact mines suuuuck on those planets.

In the daytime, mines blend in with Durgen's desert sand almost perfectly. :happyelf: Next time I'm just crawling around the outside of the bases and shooting any I see.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Darox posted:

When time runs out and the destroyers leave the 20s evac timer starts as soon as the Pelican lands regardless of if anyone is onboard or not, so he was right to get on.

I meant there wasn't enough time to finish the objective. We only had a couple of reinforcements left and still needed 3 or so bug holes. He called it in and extracted while we were like 100m away and beelining for the extract.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There's no way to call in extraction yourself before the main objective is complete.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

I meant there wasn't enough time to finish the objective. We only had a couple of reinforcements left and still needed 3 or so bug holes. He called it in and extracted while we were like 100m away and beelining for the extract.

not possible.

If you hadn't completed the main objective, then it is not possible to call in extraction

except if time runs out, which means you failed and you get a one time 'be here or get hosed' last chance.

Your teammate did not do anything. You did not pay attention to the time, and got left behind by the game itself.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
wow you sure told them

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Mazerunner posted:

not possible.

If you hadn't completed the main objective, then it is not possible to call in extraction

except if time runs out, which means you failed and you get a one time 'be here or get hosed' last chance.

Your teammate did not do anything. You did not pay attention to the time, and got left behind by the game itself.

Then I'm wrong about the objectives and somebody else closed them on the way. I know there was time left on the timer, because stratagems were still available to call in. I called down a resupply on the way there. Does the timer keep going after they're completed and trigger the last ditch extract anyway? Then I'm sorry for calling that guy a loving idiot.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 6, 2024

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
So who's the new faction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SplitSoul posted:

Does the timer keep going after they're completed and trigger the last ditch extract anyway?

It does, and on blitz missions you only get 12 minutes instead of the usual 40 iirc.