Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Khizan posted:

A family friend found a kitten after a storm and couldn’t keep her.

All the shelters were full and wouldn’t take her, so I have a kitten now.

Vet says four weeks old. She is so terrifyingly tiny. The itty bittiest cat.

In at least one place in the world, they call kittens at that age, with the little tail sticking straight up like that, 'bumper car kittens.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also keep the video mode ready. Record the first time they get to use a litterbox!

https://i.imgur.com/GaHgbWr.mp4

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

floofyscorp posted:

My boy Loki is very allergic to beef and lamb, and went through some very sad-looking times with no fur on his scrawny lil neck before we figured out what the problem was. Now we feed single-protein foods; James Wellbeloved turkey kibble and Cosma tuna tins. Poultry is obviously a very common cat food ingredient but single-protein fish food seems fairly readily available too. I don't know if those brands are available in Canada, but they're cheaper than the prescription stuff and he's doing very well on them.

Ah yeah thanks I'm not sure about those brands but looking for single protein foods threw up a bunch of results!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

With a kitten that small found out in the street, don't delay doing a vet appt if you haven't already.

Yeah, I took her the day that I picked her up. Vet says four weeks old, so too young for shots but her heart sounds good and she got the dewormer.

Really, I got super lucky with her because she's about as tiny as it's possible for a kitten to be without requiring a ton of extra work. She's got all her kitten teeth in, she can eat dry food, drink water from a bowl, uses the litterbox by herself, etc. So she's got all the adorableness of a tiny little kitten without most of the extra work they require.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That's for sure. I've been lucky enough to have the mother cat on hand for foster kittens that young.

You've also got her at the perfect age to socialize with other people and bond with you. Make sure to regularly bring friends over to meet her, and you'll have a real outgoing friendly cat.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Bringing in other people is perhaps the one area I haven't been able to ultra socialize my new kitten so far. He's only met other people once or twice -other than vet visits. They were also the boisterous sort who sent him into hiding.

He's still got a bit of a bump at the injection site from his 2nd round of vaccines, which concerns me, but it still hasn't been a full month, and it doesn't seem to be growing, when I take him in to get fixed next month, I'll still have the vet take a look to make sure it's not a sarcoma

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

when i got my cats i had people over pretty frequently and one is now super friendly and the other accepts my partner but everyone else is garbage to her. you never know!

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I’m worried about my 15 year old guy who has a history of pancreatitis. He was feeling pretty poorly yesterday and had peed on the bedding he was laying on, so I got him to the vet. Turns out he has a minor UTI and some arthritis in his hips (and a knee injury somehow). Got him the cat arthritis shot (solensia I think?) a two-week injectable anti biotic and anti inflammatories. He’s been mostly resting since we got back, but has been able to get up and walk around, eat, drink water and pee in his litter box but I haven’t seen a bowel movement today or yesterday, and I’m pretty sure most of the day before? It’s hard to remember.

How much longer should I wait before I haul him back to the emergency vet?

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

DreamingofRoses posted:

He’s been mostly resting since we got back, but has been able to get up and walk around, eat, drink water and pee in his litter box but I haven’t seen a bowel movement today or yesterday, and I’m pretty sure most of the day before? It’s hard to remember.

I wouldn't be super worried about just yet, as he's peeing and eating/drinking, so you're not in the :siren: zone IMO. But if you can, try to call your veterinarian clinic and ask about it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

DreamingofRoses posted:

I’m worried about my 15 year old guy who has a history of pancreatitis. He was feeling pretty poorly yesterday and had peed on the bedding he was laying on, so I got him to the vet. Turns out he has a minor UTI and some arthritis in his hips (and a knee injury somehow). Got him the cat arthritis shot (solensia I think?) a two-week injectable anti biotic and anti inflammatories. He’s been mostly resting since we got back, but has been able to get up and walk around, eat, drink water and pee in his litter box but I haven’t seen a bowel movement today or yesterday, and I’m pretty sure most of the day before? It’s hard to remember.

My cat sometimes after vet visits takes awhile to poo, but it wouldn't hurt to call the vet. They might suggest giving him something to help move things along like some canned pumpkin or something. The side effects of the drugs he's getting may be constipation, so you never know.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

We have poop! Granted, they’re small and pellet like so I’m going to try like a 1/2 of a tsp of pumpkin puree for him and see if that helps. I can’t call his vet right now because they’re closed on the weekend. (I know it’s not a hydration issue because I only feed him wet food and I have seen him up and at the water fountain several times). Since his appetite is still good, I think he’ll be okay.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Whenever my cat is constipated, (which is often, despite her love of her water fountain) my vet told me to give her 1/8th of a teaspoon of Miralax in with her food twice a day for three days. It really helps her out when the pumpkin isn’t doing the trick.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Guess I’m calling the vet in the morning. Still not a whole lot of poop, and his urine is still awful smelling.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

❤️ to you and your cat ❤️❤️❤️

It’s been about three months since Jet died. I miss having a cat, and I want to adopt again. I’ve been looking at adoption listings for bonded pairs for a little bit, and they’re adorable, but I’m also kinda nervous. Every cat is different, and there’s no guarantee they’ll be as well-behaved and friendly as he was. Like for example, Jet never peed on the bed or in my shoes or anything, but what if he was special and all cats do that to some degree? I still don’t know if I’m actually an experienced cat owner, or just a Jet owner. It’s kinda scary.

Also my family is not so subtly hinting that I shouldn’t adopt again but they’re being dicks and only thinking about their week-long+ family vacations and concern trolling over me so too bad.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The best bet is to get an adult cat! You can see their personality ahead of time. And don't just stick to human societies and cat cafes - local volunteer foster groups might have some great adoptable cats that can't tolerate being in an adoption center. I've got two right now just like that - one is still a bit scared, but the other is super sweet and affectionate and would make an amazing solo cat. (If you're in San Diego and looking for a cat, let me know here, btw!)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I actually already got a video call scheduled about an adult bonded pair in my area!! :shittypop: oh god this moves fast

I also got a callback regarding a message I left about interest in a single cat I’ve been watching for a few months now. I think I mentioned this cat before, but to recap: they’re diabetic and need insulin shots twice daily, and I’m hesitant to say yes and commit before I can really nail down a management plan for the shots. Medical care for a diabetic cat is very strict and both I and the cat would be in a good bit of trouble if I were away for longer than 12 hours. Especially if/when I’m away either overnight or for up to two weeks - I’d need a cat sitter or something to take care of them.

How difficult is it to take care of a diabetic cat? How restrictive and rigid? Or maybe the cat deserves a better owner - should the cat simply instead be matched with someone who is diligent and mentally healthy themselves…? This poo poo is worrying.

(I also worry about what the next few years might be like. What if I die young or something? What if I have to flee the country because it gets too hostile towards people like me? Having to give up a cat because of some bullshit like that would be devastating.)

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

It’s commendable that you are even considering a cat with special needs, but you have to be absolutely sure you can meet those needs in every situation. If you’re having real doubts about your ability to care for the cat, that’s probably a good enough reason to not adopt that cat.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

It’s commendable that you are even considering a cat with special needs, but you have to be absolutely sure you can meet those needs in every situation. If you’re having real doubts about your ability to care for the cat, that’s probably a good enough reason to not adopt that cat.

Yeah, our local SPCA has a program they call "pet sleepovers" where you can trial a pet in your home for a week and get used to them and that's how we learned that we really could not deal with a pet with essentially kitty IBS.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

As of Tuesday last week, she got xrays and ultrasound and they said they basically cannot see the bladder stone anymore. So it dissolved. And she has been normal for the last few weeks. But then yesterday she started doing the thing again with going into the litter box :psyduck:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I remember people have talked about it in the thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for timed feeders? Preferably something that would let me do more frequent smaller feedings

Pavarotti is a very sweet boy, but he's super food motivated and very insistent that he gets his food exactly when he's supposed to. Which wouldn't be a problem, except for the fact that he constantly wants it like at least 30 minutes early. He gets kind of bratty in order to get the max amount of attention, like for example he will try and find cords near us to chew on so that we pay attention to him and stuff like that.

He's a fantastic alarm clock, but the destructive part isn't great. Since he eats his food portion right away he doesn't really need the protected feeder necessarily, was thinking we could put him on an automatic portion feeder so he doesn't feel like he needs to get our attention an hour before food o'clock

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I have this one which dispenses food 5 times a day, not sure if I’d recommend it though because the clock is very slow and the time gets off very quickly. I think the clock stops while it’s dispensing food. Otherwise it’s amazing, it does the first feeding 30 minutes before I wake up and my cat doesn’t bug me for dry food anymore.

Link

I wish there was a good solution for wet food because she still goes nuts an hour before it’s wet food time.

Wii Spawn Camper fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 5, 2024

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have this one, no link because Canadian amazon and also it's not available at the link anymore:

I'm very happy with it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We got "Petlibro Granary Auto Feeder" several months ago and have been generally happy with them. We got the non-wifi version because of reviews saying the wifi was kind of unreliable but if I was buying again I'd risk it anyways.. the non-wifi works well but programming changes is a tedious chore. The clock also isn't very accurate, it's drifted like 5 minutes in the past 6 months.

But it does do the stated job, it pukes out cat food fairly close to the same time every day. Cats adapted to it extremely quickly and instead of crying at me for lunch 30 minutes early they start camping the magic food machine 45 minutes before meal time.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

so, update. it wasn't giardia.

carol has been back and forth with her health since she was a baby and a few weeks it went into overdrive. she was making GBS threads mucus and crying and being generally lethargic. i took her to the regular vet and the emergency vet as well, but declined any treatment at the emergency vet because i didn't have the $400 exam fee. the regular vet told me it was probably giardia, and then that she needed fibre, and then finally told me it was probably worms even though she's tested negative several times and she's been dewormed several times. i went into their office easter weekend in tears because she was cold and barely moving, and the receptionists told me the vet wasn't there and then avoided eye contact with me while i burst into tears.

i contacted a different vet who was able to see me right away, and they offered a blood test and some fluids. she called me back today and told me she's 99% certain its FIP. the medication for FIP isn't legal in canada, it's prohibitively expensive and because she's been chronically ill her whole life her prognosis is very poor. i am waiting for her to call me back to schedule her euthanasia.

it's funny, her brother now treats her like she doesn't even exist. it's very obvious he understands how ill she is. he will occasionally smell her backside but when she approaches him he looks away and goes to do something else. i was worried about him being alone but in practicality he's been alone for a couple of weeks now.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

xzzy posted:

We got "Petlibro Granary Auto Feeder" several months ago and have been generally happy with them. We got the non-wifi version because of reviews saying the wifi was kind of unreliable but if I was buying again I'd risk it anyways.. the non-wifi works well but programming changes is a tedious chore. The clock also isn't very accurate, it's drifted like 5 minutes in the past 6 months.

But it does do the stated job, it pukes out cat food fairly close to the same time every day. Cats adapted to it extremely quickly and instead of crying at me for lunch 30 minutes early they start camping the magic food machine 45 minutes before meal time.

I’m pretty sure you are talking about the same one I linked in my post.

One thing I did with mine was tie a bandana around it so it blocks the screen because otherwise it’s blasting your cat in the face with bright light while they eat. I originally had mine in my bedroom and it was too drat bright for me, I can’t imagine being a cat and having that in my face. I can easily rotate the bandanna around to see the screen when I need it.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
The vet recommended :catdrugs: to calm down the big cat (3yr old shorthair) when I brought him in for a UTI because he seemed stressed. What should I use?

I brought him in to the vet about a month and a half ago after he was lethargic and couldn't seem to hold his bladder, he would just piss himself where he was laying and it was pinkish in one or two spots. The vet said he appeared stressed, the infection could come back because of the stress, and told me that there are drugs to help with that and prescribed him a round of antibiotics. It cleared up the day after he started on them and hasn't been an issue since, until last night when I got home from a work trip there were about 4 spots on my bed and a few more on the carpet. Him and his brother both greeted me at the door when I got home last night and he seems alert and is his normal shithead self.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Could the other cat be the piss dribbler?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I don't think he is but wasn't home to see it this time. Both of them have normally been very good about using the litter boxes and are very full of energy and purring like large diesel engines today.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

cash crab posted:

so, update. it wasn't giardia.

I'm so sorry, that's the absolute worst outcome and you did everything you could for her :(

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Poor baby. I'm sure that she knows she's loved and that she's lucky to have such a caring owner. Give her some extra cuddles for me.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

we had her put down yesterday afternoon. it was rough as gently caress. the vet, whose name i blanked on entirely until i got up this morning at 4AM, told me we could put her on high dose steroids for the weekend so i could have some more time with her but i ended up saying no. carol was on some medication or another almost her entire life and i didn’t want her spending her last days on this planet taking more goo she hated.

she wasn’t having fun anymore, she just laid on the couch leaking blood and diarrhea watching her brother have fun. right before the vet came in to have her sedated she sat on my lap and stared at me and purred. they let me hold her as she went and i am sad to report the last thing i ever said to her was “goodnight clownshoes”.

tandy is very clingy. he passes back and forth between the bedroom and living room to check if me and my partner are there, and he keeps peeking around her old hiding places to look for her. it’s heartbreaking. in the last couple of days he was avoiding her a lot but now he’s looking for her.

i want to eventually get him a friend because he’s never had to be alone and i prefer to have multiple cats but i am so heartbroken and nervous. my old cat igor also passed away really young from a congenital disorder and i don’t know why i keep getting lemons. i did everything i could but it wasn’t enough.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I’m so sorry, cash crab. It sounds like you gave her a beautiful life. You did well by her to the end.

I relate—a whole lot—to fearing the worst for a new adoption because of past adopts having a rough one. I can’t promise you that the next one will be in perfect health, but I can tell you that it’s possible. Take your time, and trust your instinct when your partner and you think you’re ready. Tandy has your partner and you to lean on, and vice versa.

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

creepin n rollin

good god why is it so hard to figure out what food to feed my kitten? i’m trying to transition him to adult food now that he’s older than 1 year but the online discourse of whether to go the heavily standardized brands like Royal Canin vs grain-free brands is so confusing to me. feels like there is absolutely no consensus at all. is the pet nutrition thread still active at all? what do y’all feed your kitties?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

jimmychoo posted:

good god why is it so hard to figure out what food to feed my kitten? i’m trying to transition him to adult food now that he’s older than 1 year but the online discourse of whether to go the heavily standardized brands like Royal Canin vs grain-free brands is so confusing to me. feels like there is absolutely no consensus at all. is the pet nutrition thread still active at all? what do y’all feed your kitties?

All foods have the same nutrition, regulated by the FDA. There's a lot of advertising gobbldygook that passes for knowledge in the pet food area.

Feed your kitten whatever it likes and whatever you can afford. It will be fine.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

cash crab posted:

i don’t know why i keep getting lemons. i did everything i could but it wasn’t enough.

You were able to help cats who needed your help. It was enough. These things would have happened to these cats whether they were with you or not, but they could have had lovely owners who made it worse. Instead, they had a loving and caring owner who was there for them through it all and up until the end.

Take your time until you’re ready, but please don’t stop helping cats.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

All foods have the same nutrition, regulated by the FDA. There's a lot of advertising gobbldygook that passes for knowledge in the pet food area.

Feed your kitten whatever it likes and whatever you can afford. It will be fine.

I've always been under the impression that the big brands usually found in grocery stores (Meow Mix, Friskies, Purina etc) are for the most part garbage filler, and if you make a habit out of feeding your cats that stuff it will increase the risk of them turning into fat blimps with diabetes and kidney issues. But I will also admit that I don't compare ingredients and nutrients as much as I probably should, so maybe I'm way off base.

That said I usually alternate between a few different brands so my cats don't get bored. For wet food I usually give them Hill's Science Diet Chicken Entrée pate (current favorite) and different Weruva flavors. Applaws wet food is also excellent, but pricey. For dry food I'm feeding them Royal Canin Adult Indoor at the moment.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I've always been under the impression that the big brands usually found in grocery stores (Meow Mix, Friskies, Purina etc) are for the most part garbage filler, and if you make a habit out of feeding your cats that stuff it will increase the risk of them turning into fat blimps with diabetes and kidney issues. But I will also admit that I don't compare ingredients and nutrients as much as I probably should, so maybe I'm way off base.

That said I usually alternate between a few different brands so my cats don't get bored. For wet food I usually give them Hill's Science Diet Chicken Entrée pate (current favorite) and different Weruva flavors. Applaws wet food is also excellent, but pricey. For dry food I'm feeding them Royal Canin Adult Indoor at the moment.

I've had multiple cats live past 20 yo on cheap grocery store food. The filler is non-digestible cellulose, so they eat more and poop more, but they get the same nutrition in the end.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Quill eats the Tiki Cat "after dark" variety packs. They're hideously expensive. When I find them on sale a few times a year I spend more than a grand on it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

ROUGH, but don't feel bad about putting her down, it sounds like there wasn't much else to do. I've held on to cats for longer than I should have before and knowing you put them through unnecessary discomfort feels way worse :(

Deteriorata posted:

UNLESS they become diabetic, then start paying 6x for super extra low carb food :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Deteriorata posted:

I've had multiple cats live past 20 yo on cheap grocery store food. The filler is non-digestible cellulose, so they eat more and poop more, but they get the same nutrition in the end.

Gonna second-ish this; before my two previous kitties went on prescription food due to kidney disease, they ate Hills tuna+carrot for 11+ year olds for wet and iams 1+ indoor weight and hairball control for dry. They both passed at 21 plus. So probably depends on your cats (because cats gonna cat).