Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I would like a Dynasty Tactics 1 and 2 remaster. And also a new Dynasty Tactics game.

Just felt like posting that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Paying2Lurk posted:

I would like a Dynasty Tactics 1 and 2 remaster. And also a new Dynasty Tactics game.

Just felt like posting that.

:same:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, Tifa and Aerith always got along well, I dunno where the idea that they don't came from?

Fanart and secondhand sources since it's pretty well-known the game had a rushed translation, The Colonel getting to the stair scene with a better read on the normal dialogue will show as a quick example

The Colonel posted:

got to the stairs in my japanese language replay of ffvii. i guess legends of localization beat me to it but, yeah i do not know how they got tifa calling barret a retard out of her responding to him complaining he's gonna die from all the climbing with asking him not to jinx them all

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.rpgfan.com/review/secrets-of-grindea/

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Oh poo poo is this finally out and looking good? I got gifted this what feels like over a decade ago, played everything that was available and liked it a fair bit, but then it vanished from my consciousness because the development was so slow.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

the name feels a little on the nose

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm happy to have front mission on modern consoles, (especially 3 when they release that) but my hope against hope is getting 5 brought over to the west.

Remakes/Remasters of all Front Mission games are the dream, but right now all I really want is Front Mission 3.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

I said come in! posted:

Remakes/Remasters of all Front Mission games are the dream, but right now all I really want is Front Mission GUN HAZARD.

Agreed wholeheartedly

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tequila Bob posted:

Agreed wholeheartedly

gently caress yeah, I change my mind, you're right.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In Lunacid, I dunno why it amuses me so much you cant read the manual in game until you've already made your character and it has both different notes and some flagrant lies with the manual description of the classes versus the games notes.

I definitely thought the game was 100% trolling me with the starting zone with my class until I realized it was a lie.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 6, 2024

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Square needs to stop being cowards and just turn the Front Mission 5 roguelike side-content into a full-roguelike

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

Both graphics and quality-of-life stuff like better quest markers and both Casual (eliminates the game's aggressive level scaling mechanics) and Expert (allows you to set your level up to what your current exp totals would allow) difficulty modes.

I just got a oled switch so definitely gonna check it out.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

MechaX posted:

Honestly the Diva looks the most interesting at a glance, but lmfao the voice direction of the dude on the PS4/5, that's a choice

it's the correct choice. more jrpg leading lads should talk like overexcited Canadians

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
OK SaGa Emerald is going to the best game of the year but a lot of people are going to lie to you and say its bad. That it looks cheap. That the presentation isn't good. These people are liars and should not be trusted. Its drips with charm.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Kawazu still out here making rpgs that feel like pen and paper games more than the stuff that actually uses tabletop systems.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I'm not sure I'm going to like Emerald Beyond much from the demo, but I can absolutely appreciate it being here for people who will enjoy it. Cat Witch's whole thing is weird and cute and just delightful even if I'm not really into the game that much.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

anyone who isn't fully kawazupilled by now is simply not worth associating with imho

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Saga games are a fever dream, but like, the good kind?

This one feels tolerable to play, unlike, say, unlimited saga, so I'm extremely here for whatever absolutely insane ride they have in store for me.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If you're into word games, snarky Tales From The Crypt style narration, a high degree of interactivity/reactivity, and cool aesthetics, I direct you to Cryptmaster, which comes out in a month

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Snooze Cruise posted:

OK SaGa Emerald is going to the best game of the year but a lot of people are going to lie to you and say its bad. That it looks cheap. That the presentation isn't good. These people are liars and should not be trusted. Its drips with charm.

:yeah:

Can't afford to pick up Emerald this month, but I'll be playing more Scarlet, Frontier, and Romancing 3 in solidarity.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Just finished False Skies; around 40 hours to get all the endings and most of the other optional side content.

It's designed to look and play like an old Gameboy Color RPG, and that commitment to the bit includes an intentional lack of quality-of-life features (your walk speed on the world map is slooow, and while there are a couple of different fast-travel options they always remain just a little bit inconvenient to use), and awkward abbreviated names for items and places. The clearest encapsulation of the philosophy that I can come up with is that the best sword in the game is Caledfwlch (the Welsh name for Excalibur), except item name lengths are limited so it gets abbreviated to "Calfwch". They gave it a more obscure name just so they could mangle it better. If you find that more obnoxious than charming then you should probably make a mental note to avoid this game.

You build your own party out of a selection of classes, and then unlock multiple tiers of advanced classes that you can promote into. I would strongly recommend using a class guide and planning out builds in advance at least a little bit, because it's easy to make irreversible decisions that you'll regret later. On the other hand, if you don't want to do that but you end up with a build that doesn't quite work out, you can change the difficulty level at any time (it's balanced around Hard, and Easy difficulty doubles all of your stats, which is enough to let you brute-force most things).

The dungeon design gets pretty harsh as you go on; several late-game dungeons are huge, non-linear, and full of puzzles. It's some of the most complicated dungeon navigation I've seen in a top-down JRPG (and this is coming from someone who's played through Phantasy Star 2 multiple times). Hope you're good at spatial reasoning and memory, because the game loves the "figure out which pit to fall into in order to land in the right spot on the floor below" trick.

This is not a text-heavy game, but there's a fair amount of thought and effort put into the worldbuilding, and a few mysteries to uncover with pretty cool and satisfying answers. If your ideal amount of story in an RPG is "snippets of text that explain just enough for you to eventually mostly get the picture of what's going on in the world, plus a few recurring characters that you run into every couple of dungeons and exchange a paragraph or two of dialogue with", this may be the game for you.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 6, 2024

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

Emerald Beyond is cheap though??? It’s $50 for a AAAA experience with lots of replay value, that’s a steal.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The dub is atrocious and the demo didn't include the JP audio, the combat seemed the usual weird Saga mess. Sorry new Saga game, maybe next time.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I should really try the demo. I've never played a saga game before so I'm not sure if I'd like it, but the motorcycle ladies seem very cool...

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I was playing the Ameya demo for Emerald Beyond. I reached this world where almost everyone got frozen and we had to go around thawing them. There was one lady who while frozen recounts having this harrowing dream/vision of being arrested and sentenced to being buried alive. Our party hears this and the first thing Ameya says in response is "HAVE YOU SEEN ANY CATS?"

GOTY.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

The dub is atrocious

turn on your speakers!!!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its like i said, people are going to be lying about this game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tbf I consider all dubs atrocious

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
more scottish robots for the rest of us!!

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
The PC demo has Japanese voices available as an option. Not sure why console doesn't?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maybe I just missed it lol thought I looked in all the options though

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Everything bad about SaGa Emerald is actually what makes it good. That's why it can't be criticised, so dont.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Everything bad about SaGa Emerald is actually what makes it good. That's why it can't be criticised, so dont.

so true bestie

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I only really played Frontier and I love it, but I never knew such joy until I heard the dub.

Diva's Scottish accent is great but what really sold me was her Producer. He sounds like he just really wanted to do a Scottish accent because Diva has one and he just fucks it all up. Its elegant and I love him.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I like all the SaGa’s, but RS 3 I think might be my favorite SNES game. It’s not even obtuse feeling or anything.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I also like what I've heard of the dub. Can't remember the last time I heard a Scottish lady in a game. Probably in a Dragon Quest.

There's almost no voice acting after each character's intro anyway.

TheMightyBoops posted:

I like all the SaGa’s, but RS 3 I think might be my favorite SNES game. It’s not even obtuse feeling or anything.

I think if RS3 had been released in the West at the time it would just be one of those classic SNES games everyone knows.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 6, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

might give 13 Sentinels another try after I finish Unicorn Overlord, I tried the first hour or two, and thought the battle system part of 13 Sentinels was really lame and doesn't match Vanillawares usual engaging battle systems

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finished Lunacid. I had a really good time except the narrative/story, hard to judge the characters on anything other than visuals and that also seems unfair.

Kind of funny for a game with so few characters to burn one on the pun Sheryl Crow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

lets hang out posted:

Can't remember the last time I heard a Scottish lady in a game.

The Cold Steel games have a minor NPC who is a Scottish lady.