Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Sounds like you can spend at least 12 hours saran wrapping the car shut before he notices. After that the battery can only hold out for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Just turned my monitor off, god drat.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It should be punishable under the law to own something that regularly creates unnecessary, preventable noise pollution in a residential area

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

EoinCannon posted:

It should be punishable under the law to own something that regularly creates unnecessary, preventable noise pollution in a residential area

Leaf blowers, lawn mowers, and garbage trucks.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

EoinCannon posted:

Welcome to Germany, where mowing your lawn on a sunday is at least strongly frowned upon, at worst a reason to call the cops on you.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Good, good. Get a robot mower, they're quiet.

The 24/7 society that has evolved btw, it sucks.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LimaBiker posted:

Welcome to Germany, where mowing your lawn on a sunday is at least strongly frowned upon, at worst a reason to call the cops on you.

Awesome, lawns are ecological vandalism anyway
Everyone should be conscious of how much noise they're making and how it effects other people

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Quote-Unquote posted:

We've complained to the council but the owners are very rich so this goes completely ignored. Why he won't just get the loving thing fixed is beyond me.

You don't get rich by wasting money on car alarm repairs every time some pleb complains about the noise.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
I used to live in a mostly residential downtown block and it was loving crazy how everyone making money was allowed to make as much noise as they want and how little action anyone took on complaints. The people running actual businesses like corner stores were always good, but condo developments and landlords. Holy gently caress.

Contractors would swoop in the mornings and start blowing and sawing and poo poo well before the ordinances allowed. A lot of it stopped after I would go out and shout at them face to face but there was always some new suburban small business chucklefuck in a lifted "company" pickup trying to get an early start on their day.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Oh, yeah, the hatred of smart TVs is totally overblown.

quote:

The patent centers around the idea of displaying ads on these TVs whenever they’re tuned to an HDMI input that’s paused or idle. Theoretically, this would allow Roku to present ads throughout your whole TV experience — and in places where it’s not viable to do so today. Your PS5, Xbox, Apple TV, or Blu-ray player could become yet another canvas for the company to continue growing its already-lucrative advertising business.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

We're gonna get the dystopia where everyone is so media saturated they stop being functional people.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

those ads better be good!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Of course they are good, otherwise they wouldn't be so desperate for you to see them!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Hartford Healthcare would like me to get that thing checked you know the one for your loved ones it's important as generic male podcast listener. Hey ladies, you know you should go get yourself looking the way you want through Hartford Healthcare. Some ad for a bank saying they aren't evil or whatever. Just awful. Ads in Spanish for the local lottery.

gently caress podcast ads I don't like the lovely cell phone games, the mattress companies, or square space but I'd take all of those over the localized brain poison.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Outrail posted:

We're gonna get the dystopia where everyone is so media saturated they stop being functional people.

The first generation to grow up on smartphones and omnipresent internet hasn't yet reached maturity so yes, technically it's still a future development.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Outrail posted:

We are like 60% of the way there already.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
That tracks, I'm 40% functional at best.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Outrail posted:

That tracks, I'm 40% functional at best.

Always nice to meet another 40%er.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Time_pants posted:

Always nice to meet another 40%er.

:hfive:

The US gov has me right at 40!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Hilarious. I bought a Roku because my FireTV stick experience was turning to poo poo, and it's not like I didn't expect Roku to turn to garbage eventually, and it is very slowly becoming more annoying, but danged if they ain't gonna try to speedrun it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Re: “Rich” People and their cars, there is a local BMW collector who always moves his cars as close to the road as he can during the winter in some sort of super obvious attempt to get some unsuspecting plow driver to wreck them.

Instead they avoid them and the cars sit there as some sort of bizarro consumerism art piece.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
Well that's better than my neighbor with the enormous gmc pickup who parks it on the sidewalk because he's worried someone will sideswipe it and there's no room in the driveway due to his multiple other suvs.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Does he also leave a matte black trailer hitch attached at all times to gently caress up people walking/biking around it?

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
Oh lord no, that truck isn't for hauling anything.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

McSpanky posted:

The first generation to grow up on smartphones and omnipresent internet hasn't yet reached maturity so yes, technically it's still a future development.

The first iphone was released in the summer of 2007, I'd say the first kids bathed in touchscreens and ever present internet access since they had a little bit of awareness are going to be 20, this year.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Waste of Breath posted:

Well that's better than my neighbor with the enormous gmc pickup who parks it on the sidewalk because he's worried someone will sideswipe it and there's no room in the driveway due to his multiple other suvs.

Doesn't that invite pedestrians to accidentally brush past it with backpacks and giant belt buckles?

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

McSpanky posted:

it's not gonna be good

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Outrail posted:

Doesn't that invite pedestrians to accidentally brush past it with backpacks and giant belt buckles?

I would rip off the side view mirrors

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Waste of Breath posted:

Oh lord no, that truck isn't for hauling anything.

Neither is a matte black hitch, at least if you want it to stay matte black.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Outrail posted:

The rivets on some jeans could also give a good scratch

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

ISPs basically did this with webpages, mixing their own ads into the content response along the way to your computer. it's what finally forced the entire industry to move to encrypted https for all connections

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The first iphone was released in the summer of 2007, I'd say the first kids bathed in touchscreens and ever present internet access since they had a little bit of awareness are going to be 20, this year.

I don't see how that tracks; iPhone was released in 2007 as a niche toy for rich Mac users, the first iPhone that was truly better than any other phone was 2009, and nobody was giving their kids an equivalent device until iPads became a commodity in 2011 at the very earliest.

(arguably 2012-2013, since that's when the first generation of wide adoption would have started buying their second generation of devices, and passing down their previous devices to their kids.)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just got an email from a company I unsubscribed from all emails from asking me to resubscribe to their emails

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

~Coxy posted:

I don't see how that tracks; iPhone was released in 2007 as a niche toy for rich Mac users, the first iPhone that was truly better than any other phone was 2009, and nobody was giving their kids an equivalent device until iPads became a commodity in 2011 at the very earliest.

(arguably 2012-2013, since that's when the first generation of wide adoption would have started buying their second generation of devices, and passing down their previous devices to their kids.)

I'd say this is right. I used to sell phones at the time. In Canada it wasn't until the iphone 3g hit in 2009 or so that they really became popular. Even then, we were still selling flip phones for a few years after that. Based off personal anecdotes, it wasn't until around 2016 or 17 or so that the stores stopped making us do 'mobile greeter demos' where we'd show people all the new things smart phones they can do and why they should buy one, as by then everybody had one and it was pretty well saturated.

By the time I left that biz in 2018, I had been saying only 'fast processor, faster parts, nicer camera' when someone asked what a new phone had, so definitely that late people generally cared less.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
what we actually need is for macOS and Windows to show you ads while your computer boots up, ideally 15 to 30 seconds videos. who wouldn't want to be entertained instead of staring at a rotating loading circle? you might say your computer boots too fast for that to be possible, but I'm sure there is a way to fix that problem. phones should also serve you banner ads in between the notifications, so you can stay informed on recent innovative concepts and products!

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

euphronius posted:

I just got an email from a company I unsubscribed from all emails from asking me to resubscribe to their emails

One weird trick to keep spamming inboxes. People with boundaries HATE it!!!!

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Popoto posted:

what we actually need is for macOS and Windows to show you ads while your computer boots up, ideally 15 to 30 seconds videos. who wouldn't want to be entertained instead of staring at a rotating loading circle? you might say your computer boots too fast for that to be possible, but I'm sure there is a way to fix that problem. phones should also serve you banner ads in between the notifications, so you can stay informed on recent innovative concepts and products!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh boy. If this ends up happening, I am blaming you.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Popoto posted:

If this happens it might finally be the year of Linux on the desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

~Coxy posted:

It's actually wrong in the opposite direction. The Motorola Razr released in 2004 and was the first real "smartphone" most people were exposed to, and it was cheap enough that some people bought them for their kids. Everyone? No, but that's not what's being claimed.

The first people who have had a phone as their main Internet device their whole lives aren't turning 20, they're turning 30.