Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I need a drat primer for the new SEAF artillery shell colors

explosive = olive drab
high explosive = cheeto orange
static = blue
smoke = black

What are napalm and nukes now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Hwurmp posted:

I need a drat primer for the new SEAF artillery shell colors

explosive = olive drab
high explosive = cheeto orange
static = blue
smoke = black

What are napalm and nukes now?

I am pretty sure
Napalm is red
Smoke is like... grey? and nukes are black?

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yeah I think it's a little cheap and unimaginative to build so much of the gameplay around stratagems then gently caress with them in ways that IMO simply aren't interesting like "you get one fewer."

Friend I was playing with had the same complaint. We'd much rather see conditions that make you think and use little-used strategems.

Something like "High Gravity" - Eagles are 30% slower/increased cooldown, arty hits harder/reduced time to impact or something similar.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

0 time for orbitals to hit would be hilarious.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
I wish they'd give us something to use all this requisition on.

Give me an extra strategem slot where I can buy single use ones for missions or something.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Vorkosigan posted:

Friend I was playing with had the same complaint. We'd much rather see conditions that make you think and use little-used strategems.

Something like "High Gravity" - Eagles are 30% slower/increased cooldown, arty hits harder/reduced time to impact or something similar.

30% throw range reduction :v:

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

At what difficulty do the automaton gunships start showing up?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I am pretty sure
Napalm is red
Smoke is like... grey? and nukes are black?

Smoke and nuke are BOTH yellow. Ya gotta check the tooltip and go for the big explody bois

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Jeremor posted:

I just had a game where they appeared on Hard.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

haddedam posted:

So who's the new faction?

Man

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jeremor posted:

If you really want to see them there is a new specific mission called “destroy gunship bases” and they come at ya in swarms to stop you

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Also, if they are active and sending gunships at you, just like with Stalker Lairs, you should push to eliminate them asap. Multiple teams just tried to maneuver around them (not bypassing them, just...fighting through their area with them active) without going to blow them up. They don't have particularly robust ground defenses, just go kill them!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

They’re a bit like the cannon turrets too. You want to whack them before they get you in their laser gaze

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
I like that there are pressure objectives that require hellbombs now, I think that being able to solve most of the sub-objectives with a casually thrown 500kg or orbital laser was sorta bypassing some challenges. That said, it does feel bullshit that when you get twin gunship towers a single hellbomb placed between them doesn't seem to destroy both towers, you always need to do two in my experience. It could be that I just haven't found the sweet spot yet, but even if so they should make it more generous. If you don't want me to get away with a single hellbomb, don't put the towers so tantalisingly close to one another, imo.

The towers' destruction and destroyed state is also bad, I want them to blow up or fall down properly instead of just magicking into these little stubby boxes, they don't even have any smoke effects or anything. Feels like a placeholder.

Gunships themselves remain awesome, and them falling out of the sky always feels cinematic.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

boz posted:

I wish they'd give us something to use all this requisition on.

Give me an extra strategem slot where I can buy single use ones for missions or something.

I really, really like this idea.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

smellmycheese posted:

Smoke and nuke are BOTH yellow. Ya gotta check the tooltip and go for the big explody bois

For some reason they changed the artillery shell models to all be different color variations of the same model in one of the recent patches. Mininukes are black now.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Idea I want to try when the new warbond drops: ballistic shield+explosive handgun. I can protect myself from the explosions (I will be redcued to giblets most likely).

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

turn off the TV posted:

For some reason they changed the artillery shell models to all be different color variations of the same model in one of the recent patches. Mininukes are black now.

some military nerd probably complained that the napalm and static field shells were sabot shell models, i.e. were meant for direct armor piercing, not containing Stuff (I think they should have left the static field shell the sabot model)

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Do the AT-ATs have a weak point, or do you just kill them with overwhelming firepower?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

next patch: the SEAF shell colors are now chartreuse, tan, khaki, cornsilk and blanched almond

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

johnny park posted:

Do the AT-ATs have a weak point, or do you just kill them with overwhelming firepower?

We need a way to tie up their legs imho

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Dyz posted:

30% throw range reduction :v:

Just dive while throwing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

hey mom its 420 posted:

next patch: the SEAF shell colors are now chartreuse, tan, khaki, cornsilk and blanched almond

why not ecru

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Eediot Jedi posted:

Nope. Rebound the keys to the arrow keys, so I can run around but can't aim while inputting.

I was surprised when I first heard this wasn’t the default. On controller strats are on d-pad, so I just reach over with my right thumb to key them in while moving.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

smellmycheese posted:

We need a way to tie up their legs imho

If you use the Frolic emote where you and another Helldiver hold hands and skip, you can time it right to use your joined arms to trip one of the AT-AT legs.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Horace Kinch posted:

Idea I want to try when the new warbond drops: ballistic shield+explosive handgun. I can protect myself from the explosions (I will be redcued to giblets most likely).

I expect it to have very few shots - say four or five. Grenades for your secondary, even if the range is awful, is extremely powerful.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

johnny park posted:

from reddit, but translated off of notes from the chinese community

so can blast the head, or blast off back armour to expose a weaker point

when it creates devastators, that opens a weakpoint similar to how factory buildings work

can shoot of weapons and damage legs

or just go for overwhelming fire power with 500kgs or apparently eagle 110 rockets

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Makes sense they changed the SEAF round colors because last night the guy who loaded it tried to smoke us and killed 3/4 of our team with an incendiary round.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

deimos posted:

Just dive while throwing.

Just because I've seen this idea crop up a few times, I tested it in a trivial mission with some landmarks: diving doesn't increase your throw power, there's no inherited velocity. It's a placebo thing. You might gain a few metres because you dove a few metres, but the range of a standard throw is ~50m across flat terrain from the point of release regardless of how you're moving.

This isn't to say diving to throw is bad, you do gain those couple of extra metres fast, but it's not supercharging your pitch like I've seen people suggest.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Helldivers 2: Hellnerds Spreading Trigonometry

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Super Trigonometry :eng101:

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Quick played just my second level 7 bot mission this morning. Team got mulched pretty badly early on and had just 2 replacements remaining when we finally took the first of 3 objectives. Had a good run after that and knocked out the other two objectives with the only death being another squad mate stepping on a mine while he fled a hellbomb.

On the way to the extraction point one dumbass decided to start poo poo with a heavy bot base that the rest of us were more than happy to quietly slip past. He dies, the two other guys return to their ships, and I got to extract all by myself with 1 ticket. I made it and I was able to leave with 15 common and 15 rare samples, but what would've been my first 3 super samples were lost by the moron suicide run on that heavy base

10/10 game. they knew what they signed up for

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Arglebargle III posted:

Makes sense they changed the SEAF round colors because last night the guy who loaded it tried to smoke us and killed 3/4 of our team with an incendiary round.

I had my first teammate take Eagle Smoke for bots the other day. He used it well a few times to cover me as I was getting pinned down, but man was it nerve wracking to see a red stratagem ball with the word "Eagle" land right next to me lol

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

They really should give smoke strikes the blue beam, I've definitely noticed my teammates panic and change direction when I've thrown out covering smoke.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Hakarne posted:

I had my first teammate take Eagle Smoke for bots the other day. He used it well a few times to cover me as I was getting pinned down, but man was it nerve wracking to see a red stratagem ball with the word "Eagle" land right next to me lol

Of the various smoke delivery mechanisms, I like eagle best because it produces a wall of smoke in the pattern of an air strike, which can do a lot of work blocking lines of fire for bots in a pinch. Of course, it might not be available if you've manually sent Eagle-1 to rearm the 500kg bombs or whatever. On the upside, eagle smoke bombs hit the ground hard enough to destroy bot factories without having to hope a bomb goes down the mail slot like with the cluster strike.

Orbital smoke is 3(?) puffs of smoke in a triangle formation around the beacon, which can be nice to protect a console or hellbomb from enemy fire, I suppose, but I sometimes feel the smaller area covered makes it less versatile in a firefight. Does seem to blind bot turrets pretty well unless they have a target at a higher elevation to shoot at.

SEAF artillery smoke is just a single lame puff of smoke on the beacon, it sucks.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 6, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do 110mm missile pods prioritize armored targets? I dropped them on a crowd and killed nothing.

Also Devastator Flamethrowers have become one hit KOs on me. Gotta be careful of the fire

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Do 110mm missile pods prioritize armored targets? I dropped them on a crowd and killed nothing.

Also Devastator Flamethrowers have become one hit KOs on me. Gotta be careful of the fire

As far as I know 110s and railcannon use the same targeting priority of "biggest fucker around". I think the distance that 110s will vary from the beacon might be smaller and the call-in delay vs the railcannon does make it less effective against chargers.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I have no evidence to back this up beyond a couple weird targeting interactions, but I think railcannon and rocket pods target based on highest current HP within a certain distance of the beacon, and not necessarily biggest target or heaviest armor. I've seen them ignore a heavily damaged hulk to take out a strider or berserker a few times.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Picturing the Super Destroyer crew high-fiving after absolutely obliterating a scavenger with a railcannon shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I always have to laugh when my friends throw a railcannon towards a heavy and a half second later someone else destroys it so you see the beam snap to a scaveneger or some other grunt nearby and blows it's brains out.