Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I watched Josée, the Tiger and the Fish tonight and it was a cute story that kept me entertained for an hour and a half. Loved that ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

dr_rat posted:

Oh then you'd really hate english back in the day where capitals were just something you'd sprinkle in:

Old angry people now days being, longing for the old times, are obviously bringing it back with the randomly capitalizing words randomly!

Also who needs S's when you have F's!

It’s a holdover from German that capitalizes all nouns

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The Chad Jihad posted:

Thank you, there's a poster who uses 'I mean' constantly and now I'll feel less insane when I snap and make a quote post about it

No I didn’t just search my post history to make sure it wasn’t me

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

The whole point of speaking or writing is to communicate ideas. If you can understand the message then the grammar and/or spelling literally doesnt matter.

Language is also an ever moving target, which is why i can say “lmao” at grammar nazis and everyone here understands my exact sentiment through just four letters. But theyd be gibberish fifty years ago!

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

that's fine but if you don't know the difference between of and have, I at least hope english is your 2nd language

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It’s a holdover from German that capitalizes all nouns

Yeah, the Germans are also the reason we don't have þ any more. þe bastards.

þey are not to be trusted when it comes to language!

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

that's fine but if you don't know the difference between of and have, I at least hope english is your 2nd language

They know the difference but out loud “would’ve” sounds very similar “would of” so it slips into casual text sometimes

it’s not anything more than that

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Khanstant posted:

Remember when you would get probation for bad grammar not using capitalization. i still feel like a badboy when I fight autocorrect to get a lowercase i

lol

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

sure okay posted:

The whole point of speaking or writing is to communicate ideas. If you can understand the message then the grammar and/or spelling literally doesnt matter.

Language is also an ever moving target, which is why i can say “lmao” at grammar nazis and everyone here understands my exact sentiment through just four letters. But theyd be gibberish fifty years ago!
exactly. so let's all stop getting hung up on things that don't matter and get back to our discussion abpout star wars characters having sex

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Cubone posted:

exactly. so let's all stop getting hung up on things that don't matter and get back to our discussion abpout star wars characters having sex

I want to see nothing but page after page of erotic Palpy fan fiction and theorycrafting on the backstory to this lady’s hairdo.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

colonelwest posted:

I want to see nothing but page after page of erotic Palpy fan fiction and theorycrafting on the backstory to this lady’s hairdo.

That's not hair, her species just has an exposed brain and her species brain just by pure chance happens to look like that sort of human very tucked about hair ado with bits of brain hanging down the side.

Her species does not do well living on any world that has birds.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Bar Crow posted:

A liberal politician being turned on by the murder of “sand people” is what passes for biting political commentary in 2002.
She also groomed him since he was 8 and kept wearing those dominatrix-like outfits with him, so yeah.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Just saw “The Jerk.” Now I’m scrolling past your post

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

dr_rat posted:

Oh then you'd really hate english back in the day where capitals were just something you'd sprinkle in:

If my kid writes like that I would spank his rear end.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I feel like I shouldn't have to ask people not to post that princess amidala is an insufficiently revolutionary dominatrix pedophile. I feel like everyone should just know not to do that

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

dr_rat posted:

That's not hair, her species just has an exposed brain and her species brain just by pure chance happens to look like that sort of human very tucked about hair ado with bits of brain hanging down the side.

Her species does not do well living on any world that has birds.

Hideo Kojima alt-account spotted

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

kalel posted:

maybe you "should of" learned about the perfect tense in the 4th grade. you gently caress.

I got your back on this one, kalel. Then again...

dreezy posted:

i retain a deep seeded prejudice against proper capitalizers from my irc days. who are you trying to impress?

This reminds of how when I was in college and first dating my wife, she kind of thought I was a weirdo because... I was using proper capitalization and punctuation when we were chatting on AIM.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I watched a movie called Heart beeps last night starting Andy Kaufman and Bernadette Peters as robots who escaped a factory to try and raise a child. It isn't good but it was really interesting. Execs saw how popular C3P0 and R2D2 were and then gave Andy Kaufman a blank check to make a robots movie. It is boring for the most part and maudlin, but wholesome and looks beautiful. Has the youngest Randy Quaid I've ever seen as an employee at the factory sent to pick up the wandering robots. Has some weird stupid future stuff like instead of cans of beer they have bags of beer now like a Capri Sun pouch and a crotchety old guy like "Man I miss the cans"

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022
Bags of alcohol you say?

https://twitter.com/BroHilderchump/status/1776467022198841755

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2s0yrRSouI

Watch this show, it is fun watch right now, don't walk, run!

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Crescent Wrench posted:

This reminds of how when I was in college and first dating my wife, she kind of thought I was a weirdo because... I was using proper capitalization and punctuation when we were chatting on AIM.

it’s a red flag.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You gotta post like how you talk, otherwise you're, like, a liar or something

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Looks like that's from seven hours ago. $5 for a goon bag on a saturday night, yeah they're long gone.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 6, 2024

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Mike uses those as IV bags

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Crescent Wrench posted:

I got your back on this one, kalel. Then again...

https://youtu.be/jD7tGMc_cgM?si=odY592qTcMTCl8e-

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Toplowtech posted:

She also groomed him since he was 8 and kept wearing those dominatrix-like outfits with him, so yeah.

They hadn't seen each other since he was 8, according to the film canon, right? At least, that appeared to be the insinuation. I'm pretty sure some of the comics and maybe a novel set right after TPM had the group of all of them still hanging out for adventures for a while, though.

Personally, I put this on Titanic.

Had that film come out a year earlier or never come out, Lucas's either wouldn't have put so much into Episode 2-3 as a forbidden love story to attempt to catch up to that film, or he would have aged up Anakin earlier in TPM and had some sort of romantic subplot stuff going on more than the "are you an angel," dialog.

Lucas should have included Padme, laying on a sofa, saying "Draw on me like one of your Tuskan girls..." Anakin then spends the next hour whipping out his lightsaber in different ways. (Not an analogy.)

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Well alright!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I mean that may of made those movies better. Still wouldn't of made them good though.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

dr_rat posted:

may of
wouldn't of

great now i cant un-see this poo poo, thanks and gently caress you OP for pointing it out

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

someone explain to me how looking down on someone for grammar mistakes is any different than some rich snob looking down on someone at a dinner party for using the salad fork on the baked potato

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Because spelling mistakes are one thing, you can usually see what they meant right away, but some of the grammar in here makes me have to read the same post twice and that is an outrage.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

sure okay posted:

someone explain to me how looking down on someone for grammar mistakes is any different than some rich snob looking down on someone at a dinner party for using the salad fork on the baked potato

idgi, do you think good writers are rich? or that you're born into the class of people who crack a book once in a while?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
He's talking about Rich Evans. Rich would look down on them for not just preparing the potatoes as french fries.

*Rich proceeds to attempt to show someone how to make french fries on the stovetop*

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

dr_rat posted:

I mean that may of made those movies better. Still wouldn't of made them good though.

lmao this bitch can't talk

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
There's no reason to be snotty over occasional typos, especially in a world with autocorrect errors. But the only reason any of us are able to read even bad spelling and grammar is usually because good spelling and grammar are so ingrained in us that we're able to decode the mistakes with minimal effort and the correct parts without even noticing.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

This is how Tanagra felt when the walls fell

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Captain they appear to be speaking in gibberish, they use 'of' instead of 've' and it scrambles our translators

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The hardest thing Picard had to do was figure out what "Ralph, a viking when he sleeps!" means. Also, figure out how these aliens have vikings.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

we need our beautiful, Midwestern boys to save us from each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Gonna sit down at my folding chable and suss all of this out properly