Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
hollywood accounting is so hosed up I'm convinced many of these projects (Discovery, the Halo series, etc) are at least in part money laundering operations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair, season 2 was on an upward trajectory with an occasional good episode, and got us Strange New Worlds through the power of Mount Anson, Anson Mount's powerful peak of hair.

Season 3 just augered that baby right into the ground though.

Discovery is basically the dry husk which SNW came out of.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah I watched up until the spin off and couldn't abandon the Disco characters fast enough

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

as someone who gave up on disco repeatedly and never watched most of seasons 2 3 and 4, season 5 was at least entertaining to watch with people. even if it started off with Michael turning to the camera, staring at the audience and saying 'The fun never stops!'.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

as someone who gave up on disco repeatedly and never watched most of seasons 2 3 and 4, season 5 was at least entertaining to watch with people. even if it started off with Michael turning to the camera, staring at the audience and saying 'The fun never stops!'.
I'm skeptical but this is plausible

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I just watched Disco and in the trailer for the rest of the season there are two connies. One is in a green nebula-like space and you can read 1701 on the top of the saucer. Looks very much like our refit Enterprise from TMP, but you can't see much more than the leading edge of the saucer and a shape that suggests the deflector dish.
The other is also in a green nebula-like space seen from below, in the middle of a bright light, and it looks a lot like our original TOS connie.

I was able to pause on them and get a good look, but not on my PC so no screenshots. If anyone finds them please post them here.

I'm a sucker for them, I will watch the rest of this season just to see how they are used.

But holy poo poo has the writing actually gotten worse. The dialog throughout was incredibly cheesy. Cringe inducing. Several really bad lines and scenes come to mind but I can't bring myself to describe them. They're just that bad.

You can find them in here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdTxy6GODdU

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 6, 2024

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Faustus posted:

I just watched Disco and in the trailer for the rest of the season there are two connies. One is in a green nebula-like space and you can read 1701 on the top of the saucer. Looks very much like our refit Enterprise from TMP, but you can't see much more than the leading edge of the saucer and a shape that suggests the deflector dish.
The other is also in a green nebula-like space seen from below, in the middle of a bright light, and it looks a lot like our original TOS connie.

a fountain of blood erupts from my mouth,

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It seems likely they're both shots of the ISS Enterprise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I laugh every time I see the new 32nd Century uniforms, just because it reminds of the original third-season ones they had to bury because you can't see the vertical stripe if the actor's standing at the wrong angle and were clearly never screen-tested.

(I actually don't mind the replacement inverted design)

naem
May 29, 2011

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I laugh every time I see the new 32nd Century uniforms, just because it reminds of the original third-season ones they had to bury because you can't see the vertical stripe if the actor's standing at the wrong angle and were clearly never screen-tested.

(I actually don't mind the replacement inverted design)

The fact that you can't even make out the Starfleet delta on their commportercorder badges most of the time annoys me intensely

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
the combadges look like cheep poo poo

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Just loaded up Paramount+ to watch Discovery and it shows me an ad for... Discovery. Very cool

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

"What an adventure!"

(two men sword fight in space)

"We have to do this together, we're family."

(a borg pops a bottle of champagne)

"This could get tricky!"

(spock is skateboarding on a halfpipe)

"The future is so amazing"

(Burnham is crying)

SEASON 5 STREAMING NOW

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Watched E1 of new Disco season. Bah. Wasn’t expecting anything good but still.

Being extremely generous maybe this show is written for teens. Like a ST YA attempt.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Yeah that was definitely an episode of Discovery.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I like how they still write Tilly as a bumbling fool socially in season 5. No character growth allowed!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endless Trash posted:

I like how they still write Tilly as a bumbling fool socially in season 5. No character growth allowed!

Well, you see, ah, she's marketed as a bumbling socially-inept nerdy scientist and marketing shows that..:commissar:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Endless Trash posted:

She's the character younger watchers are supposed to relate to I think. She just comes off as if the worst parts of Wesley and Harry Kim were combined and spent all their time on space tumblr.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

So has any producer ever tried to give a reason for 7of 9's ludicrous titty jumpsuits outside of unabashed spank material?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think it was something like after removing the borg implants, she needs a firm, tight fitting catsuit otherwise her body will fall apart.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When they dress Chakotay to go on a date with her they put him in a burlap sack

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Dude playing Tom Paris has some really distracting acting and I can't put my finger on why.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

Dude playing Tom Paris has some really distracting acting and I can't put my finger on why.

Nicholas Locarno? Nova Squad?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

redshirt posted:

Nicholas Locarno? Nova Squad?

Got a cadet killed in starfleet academy, then went on to go act in Voyger.

What a career. I guess a lot of starfleet drop outs just go on to become 90's tv actors.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

We know the real story is he was supposed to be Locarno but they didn't want to pay the writer, but do they ever explain what Paris did? In the pilot he makes a vague sarcastic comment about the ghosts of the dead cadets haunting him on Christmas Eve or something, but I think that's it. For all we know he could have just choked them to death.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

We know the real story is he was supposed to be Locarno but they didn't want to pay the writer, but do they ever explain what Paris did? In the pilot he makes a vague sarcastic comment about the ghosts of the dead cadets haunting him on Christmas Eve or something, but I think that's it. For all we know he could have just choked them to death.

It was a shuttle piloting error.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

I think the only things the writers said was something not as bad as Locarno. Or that they didn't want to say just so the Audince didn't start with a bad opinon of him.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

We know the real story is he was supposed to be Locarno but they didn't want to pay the writer

That's an urban myth. Locarno was created in the writer's room and they wouldn't have had to pay royalties. They just didn't like how bad Locarno was.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

MikeJF posted:

That's an urban myth. Locarno was created in the writer's room and they wouldn't have had to pay royalties. They just didn't like how bad Locarno was.

I don't remember the Locarno ep at all, what the hell did he do to get erased?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

LookieLoo posted:

I don't remember the Locarno ep at all, what the hell did he do to get erased?

It was the TNG ep "The First Duty". The one where Weasly got kicked out of the academy when they realized he was weasly.

Good epsiode.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Every time this comes up I always ask for a source about the "royalties" argument and nobody has yet to provide me with one. Someone once told me it was on DVD extras and I even watched them and there was zero mention of it.

I can point to a couple of sources that say it was because they thought Nick was irredeemable.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Tom Paris choked Nick Locarno to death. It's canon.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

dr_rat posted:

It was the TNG ep "The First Duty". The one where Weasly got kicked out of the academy when they realized he was weasly.

Good epsiode.

Oh, the good Wesley ep... I still don't remember him. Wouldn't he have been like twice the age of everyone else in red squad?

Edit: I found a pic but have no idea how to embed it but the quick answer is yes he was. At least

LookieLoo fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 6, 2024

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nova Squadron

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

LookieLoo posted:

Oh, the good Wesley ep... I still don't remember him. Wouldn't he have been like twice the age of everyone else in red squad?

Edit: I found a pic but have no idea how to embed it but the quick answer is yes he was. At least

I don't think they give Nick's age but Robert McNeill was 28 at the time. I think typical (human) cadet age is 18-22.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

This Voyager episode where Seven Does Her Own Research and gets conspiracy pilled was a little ahead of its time

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

TheKingslayer posted:

This Voyager episode where Seven Does Her Own Research and gets conspiracy pilled was a little ahead of its time

Uhh...are you watching Voyager on Pluto today, too? That one was just on.

I like the alien in that one. It's refreshing when Voyager encounters an alien/alien species that's not a complete dick.
Kazon? Dicks.
Vidians? Dicks.
Borg? Dicks.
Hirogen? Dicks
Species 8472? Dicks.
The Dragon's Teeth aliens? Dicks.
The species Icheb was from after they found out he was intentionally sent to the Borg and they wanted to have him get re-assimilated as part of, like, some bio-weapon? Dicks.

But warp catapult guy? Stand up dude.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 6, 2024

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Yeah I usually have one of the Pluto Trek channels on while I'm doing stuff.

I liked the aliens from the episode where The Doctor is daydreaming. They're pretty weird and the one that tries to help him is very sweet.

It's also kinda neat to have an episode where some other aliens are trying to make heads or tails of Starfleet instead of the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Watched E1 of new Disco season. Bah. Wasn’t expecting anything good but still.

Being extremely generous maybe this show is written for teens. Like a ST YA attempt.
Which is funny because they are spinning off Disco into 'Starfleet Academy', which is probably going to be a legit YA attempt