Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Orbs

I actually tried pulling for you last night and got a reading that basically said "mind your own business right now." This one also felt strangely begrudging but I translate it as an observation that although you are an entity with a powerful ability to organize and work effectively within structured systems you should reconsider your distributions of wealth/resources/energy in the future, there is a pattern of well-meaning mismanagement. Changes are coming though. Innervation, innovation. A lot of variables will be getting shaken up (for more people than just you). Hold tight, have courage. Don't let this damage who you are.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I guess ape research shows they apparently genuinely dislike music? and dogs or wolves don't really understand it?

"man's best friend" my cloaca

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Probably nothing

https://twitter.com/RepEricBurlison/status/1776611568102633876

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

mediaphage posted:

yeah some birds, notably parrots, will get in on the music - which makes sense; many species therein are highly social and sing all the time
This is why birds own.

Barry Foster posted:

Music is the most wondrous thing in the entire universe for me

Black holes and supernovae and the human brain and plants and animals and electromagnetism and shoes and sealing wax and cabbages and all of that poo poo are really really cool

But music is It, baby, it's It
:hai:

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Orbs

I actually tried pulling for you last night and got a reading that basically said "mind your own business right now." This one also felt strangely begrudging but I translate it as an observation that although you are an entity with a powerful ability to organize and work effectively within structured systems you should reconsider your distributions of wealth/resources/energy in the future, there is a pattern of well-meaning mismanagement. Changes are coming though. Innervation, innovation. A lot of variables will be getting shaken up (for more people than just you). Hold tight, have courage. Don't let this damage who you are.

Ah, thank you! That helps a lot to hear, and gives me a lot to reflect on this weekend. I appreciate it, despite the begrudgingness you felt. I think I pick up on that too sometimes. I wonder if maybe they're busy with something else right now. There is a big eclipse on Monday near me, they could be preparing for that just like I am. I'm going to get a free eclipse kit with glasses etc. from the library today. :love:

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Barry Foster posted:

Music is the most wondrous thing in the entire universe for me

Black holes and supernovae and the human brain and plants and animals and electromagnetism and shoes and sealing wax and cabbages and all of that poo poo are really really cool

But music is It, baby, it's It

Same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBNPlgQHFI0

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yeah music is a gift. lol at that evo psych nonsense

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

That substack I posted articles from a while back that we all really enjoyed is out with a new banger about PKD and his visions:

https://www.secretorum.life/p/dick-was-touched-a-trash-philosophy

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

music? bird music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tGuVTiveDQ

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt3nDgnC7M8

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

object emitting light that propagates abnormally slow in NM

NUFORC posted:

While driving back from Albuquerque on a crystal clear night I observed an object flying around Los Lunas hill. Because of the moon light I could make out a dark object hovering and moving about. As we got within about 5 miles the object lit up a part of the hill side with a light that did not look like any light I had ever seen. The light was not instantaneous but moved toward the ground and then would go back up again. It was also a differant color than one might imagine from a search light. I woke up one of my sisters and pointed the object out. We were within a mile of the hill now and the object(possibly round?) was moving around and occasionally shining the light downward. As we got within a half a mile it rose approx. 500ft from the 100ft it was at and then accelerated at incredible speed SSW and disappeared.

small sphere appears to inspect couple on beach

NUFORC posted:

My girlfriend and I were on the primary dunes in a sparsly populated area of the beach. It was a clear starry night, comfortable temps. I thought I'd seen a star go out and mentioned it. As we watched, it came back on, repeating this on a few seconds then off. It approached to about 50 yards out in the gulf, dropped to the water, raised back up, came in to where the water (calm) met the shore. Hovered about 30 feet away from us, 10 feet off the ground, silently. It was spherical and just smaller than a soccer ball. We stood up, I took one step to go look closer, it took off in an arc to the sky westward, must have covered 3 miles in a second or better.

Years later, I was contacted by my friend and I asked her to recount the story.

She still had the same story I had, except that as we stood. She wanted to run away.

witnesses decline to offer glowing figure standing under power lines a ride

NUFORC posted:

We were Driving home from Greenfield, MA on Route 2, an unlit, two lane highway in rural massachusetts in March 1972. On this route between Millers Falls and Greenfield are towers or high intensity electrical wires that drape across the landscape for miles. Just off the highway at about 50 feet, we saw an unusual figure at the base of one of these steel towers. The shape looked human (two arms and two legs) however, the whole body glowed. Imagine a dark room and you are flipping channels on the TV - the figures resembled the "snow" on the "inbetween" channels of a tv. It was so bright. We stopped our car at the edge of the road. It started to walk toward us - we were petrified and quickly left. Looking behind you can see the figure twisting to follow our departure. We promised never to tell anyone for fear that people would think we were nuts. Some weeks later, that same sighting was reported in the Enquirer solidifying that we would really never tell anyone. However, must exposure today warrants me telling my story without fear.

close encounter with cylindrical craft causes acute illness in witness

NUFORC posted:

On my way across the street to go babysitting at approx. 5:30 p.m. / dusk, I heard a loud buzzing tone...similar to the electrical transformers on a foggy morning. I looked up and saw a cylindrical shaped object with rotating lights hovering over me at about the heighth of the telephone poles. I stood in the middle of the street for about 20 seconds just watching it and it took a deep dip and sped away in 1/2 second.

I continued on to my babysitting job, and while there got very ill and threw-up a couple of times. I decided no one would believe me then, so I never told anyone until now. I also lived very close to the Los Alamitos Air Base at the time and I decided there was some experimental stuff going on...obviously to justify what I saw. I have since talked with many engineers who have informed me that we did not have and still do not have the technology that I describe here.

USO report; hopefully senor pancho is still in business

NUFORC posted:

1972-March 21-day of the equinox-Playa del Carmen: ((name deleted))/Cubano-an I-left from the dock in Playa del Carmen at 7:30 PM.

motored south 15 minutes to Xcaret-now Mayan ruins-however-in past history Xcaret was the Mayan seaport used by chieftans to cross to high holy island of Cozumel. From Xcaret you can catch the ocean current that will take you to Cozumel. Cubano set our course from Xcaret to Cozumel as the sun was going down-the stars were popping up-no moon yet.

Around 8:20-30-PM-near the point of no return-Cuabano was standing in the door'way of the wheel'house-smoking a cigrette-((name deleted)) an'I sat on sacks of oranges making small talk when-suddenly the motor died-even the running- lights & caban went off-they work off batterys. ((name deleted)) an'I begain to move cargo so we could get to the motor-while Cubano checked the wiring top'side.

Now we come to the sighting-Lights actually-and the lights never came out of the water. First the night changed to day-but brighter than day- under this light there were now shadows-yet the light was under our boat- not over us-or beside us-but under us. All 3 of us thought at first that a submarine was coming to the surface from right under the boat.

We rushed to look over the side-but couldn't really see much because the ocean was vibrating like the inside of a washing machine. The light was real bright yet it didn't hurt our eyes. 15-20 seconds past when suddenly the lights shot out from'under us like torpedos. ((name deleted)) an'I could see 2 light but Cubano could see a 3rd one from where he was in the Caban.

The lights darted around under the ocean at high speed for about 1 minute beforee they were gone.

Cubano hit the starter and the motor jumped to life good as new.

We arrived in Cozumel past midnight-???? If you want more of this sighting-about the lost hours- and how I became an expert on UFOs around the cariddean coast'line from CanCun-Cozumel-Tulum-Punta Allen-and how'when'where you to can go to have your own sighting. There are maps and time'tables writen in stone at the Mayan ruins--'If' you know how to find and read them.

If anyone is interested contact me @ ((e-address deleted)) My friends call me Pancho-but you can call me Senor Pancho hahaha- Smile-things are looking up ;-)

witness flips off tear-shaped UFO

NUFORC posted:

30'L,10'W: plated chromium sheets (mirror finish). 2'wide streching fore to aft. A slight shadow effect where the windshield should be. The craft approached from due east just above the Boca inlet at appox. 100 m.p.h.(estimated) and as it approached it performed a complete 360 degree barrel roll within 50', giving my other witness and I complete and unobsturctive view of the top of the craft. Close enough to notice no rivets were used to hold the plates together. One aspect that should be noted ; (there was no sound) a third member of our party was at least 10 to 15 feet closer up the sand dunes than ((initials of witness #2 deleted)) and I were, and yet he saw nor heard anything!

Roll your lips into a big "O" and blow ; sounds just like a U.F.O. to me! I only had time to get off one statement to them and I said, "Thats not nice!" Oh yea , I pointed a finger at them , you guess which one. ((initials of witness deleted))

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
tear shaped... or pear shaped???

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

All those UFOs will be lost in time, like pears in rain... Time to mummify

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Music is a language, which is a statement I think is fairly uncontroversial. However I will continue to observe that it is demonstrably an interspecies language, which as we have seen any avian enthusiast will agree to without a second thought, and I think furthermore it is a language that crosses boundaries not only of species but of dimension. As a species, we have perceived music in connection to religion and spirituality for as long as we have been capable of creating it. Enki creates the gala priests to sing "heart soothing laments" for Inanna. Hathor gives humanity gifts of music and dance. Christian congregations use hymns to praise their God. It struck me to realize ancient incantations that we read now as peculiar or primitive due to strange use of meter and repetition were written that way because they were expected to be sung.

Amadeus is named Amadeus because the first thing I learned about her was that she loves music -- play a song that she finds catchy and she will sing and dance to it. My other parrot Charlemagne enjoys music, but he loves it most not just when music is playing but when my boyfriend or I am also singing along. On days when I have the kitchen door open and am playing music, sparrows will gather and line the branches and fences to listen until it's done.

Language is magic. Music is language. Music is

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

mediaphage posted:

on a cheerier i thought i’d let this bird thread know that we have two (there may be a third now) extras birds

(they are so fuzzy)

also OH MY GOD THE BABIES.

also also Disney's Wish (2023) is disclosure.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

aw frig aw dang it posted:

All those UFOs will be lost in time, like pears in rain... Time to mummify
New thread title? lol

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Music is a language, which is a statement I think is fairly uncontroversial. However I will continue to observe that it is demonstrably an interspecies language, which as we have seen any avian enthusiast will agree to without a second thought, and I think furthermore it is a language that crosses boundaries not only of species but of dimension. As a species, we have perceived music in connection to religion and spirituality for as long as we have been capable of creating it. Enki creates the gala priests to sing "heart soothing laments" for Inanna. Hathor gives humanity gifts of music and dance. Christian congregations use hymns to praise their God. It struck me to realize ancient incantations that we read now as peculiar or primitive due to strange use of meter and repetition were written that way because they were expected to be sung.

Amadeus is named Amadeus because the first thing I learned about her was that she loves music -- play a song that she finds catchy and she will sing and dance to it. My other parrot Charlemagne enjoys music, but he loves it most not just when music is playing but when my boyfriend or I am also singing along. On days when I have the kitchen door open and am playing music, sparrows will gather and line the branches and fences to listen until it's done.

That's beautiful. Yeah! :lovebird:

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

D-Pad posted:

That substack I posted articles from a while back that we all really enjoyed is out with a new banger about PKD and his visions:

https://www.secretorum.life/p/dick-was-touched-a-trash-philosophy

thank you, this is extremely my poo poo. in years of searching, I always felt that PKD was the closest analog to my own experiences.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My next Hanuman Chalisa for all beings in the thread, for happiness and fulfillment.

It's been a few days (weeks?) but Orbs, thank you for your kind consideration when replying to me about the card reading for my family. :) And thank you to everyone who gave well wishes!

LAB, thank you for the reading! I showed it to my spouse and we both teared up reading it. We met our kids and it was life changing. The fact that we met in person for the first time and got big hugs and smiles was way more than we expected given their family trauma and years spent at orphanages and for the oldest, in a foster home. We were prepared for them to at least be skeptical of us, if not outright reject us, but hoped it would go the way it did.

Barry Foster, I promised your name to our next rooster. Well, we happened to have a single hatch (which is annoying tbh, why couldn't they give us at least 3 for ease of raising). If anyone has hens and wants/needs a silkie rooster please let us know. :classiclol:

He's already a few weeks old, but welcome to Earth, Barry Foster the silkie rooster:

Here is what he looked like a few weeks ago on top of his mama. Her name is Honey. He's going to be such a beautiful roo. We have grey, orange, and tan roosters. He's going to be snow white with little black blotches like his mama.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

LuckyCat posted:

Here is what he looked like a few weeks ago on top of his mama. Her name is Honey. He's going to be such a beautiful roo. We have grey, orange, and tan roosters. He's going to be snow white with little black blotches like his mama.

:kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi:

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

LuckyCat posted:

He's already a few weeks old, but welcome to Earth, Barry Foster the silkie rooster:

Oh gosh, welcome to Earth, Barry Foster, Honey, and all other birds :swoon:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Winkle-Daddy posted:

thank you, this is extremely my poo poo. in years of searching, I always felt that PKD was the closest analog to my own experiences.

Honestly we should contact the author and buy him a sub and get him into this thread because all his articles are excellent and right in line with the bird thread.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:love::glomp::love:

LuckyCat posted:

Barry Foster, I promised your name to our next rooster. Well, we happened to have a single hatch (which is annoying tbh, why couldn't they give us at least 3 for ease of raising). If anyone has hens and wants/needs a silkie rooster please let us know. :classiclol:

oh my God :allears: Absolutely :blessed:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

The mummies are pregnant

https://www.reddit.com/r/AlienBodies/comments/1bx059m/nazca_mummies_video_the_moment_researchers_found

:siren:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Excellent birds everyone and congrats luckycat

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

mediaphage posted:

yeah some birds, notably parrots, will get in on the music - which makes sense; many species therein are highly social and sing all the time

euphronius posted:

This would be, supposedly, in the specific context of mammals only & how they relate to it. What we understand as music, to birds it might not be -- some birds will take bars and what're basically samples and gently caress with em, but if they take structural components like basslines or rhythm or something and adjust the texture on it i would be interested to hear about it. As far as i have seen i don't really know of an example of any nonhuman doing this kinda stuff, and with birds afaik they seem to take components or bars of music as sort of literal phonemes or something like that.

With apes, they've tried doing things like playing different types of music vs playing no music vs playing recordings of natural forest sounds and in every case they were stressed out variously based on their own preferences, but in all cases were least stressed by nature sounds.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The closest thing i can think of to animals "getting" music isn't any kind of research and was maybe just a vid of this game these dogs seemingly invented that someone posted in gbs, where these two dogs would start facing each other, then they would spin around in circles until ~some time~ something felt right and then they'd stop facing each other again and see if they were exactly lined up. It was like some rock paper scissors or dance that they were doing. Completely obscure whatever was going on in those dogbrains, but it really seemed like there was some type of rules. Seeing how well they could stay matched up and in rhythm. Maybe dance and music is chicken and egg.

Who knows what the hell anything like a lizard or an octopus would consider music?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

This would be, supposedly, in the specific context of mammals only & how they relate to it. What we understand as music, to birds it might not be -- some birds will take bars and what're basically samples and gently caress with em, but if they take structural components like basslines or rhythm or something and adjust the texture on it i would be interested to hear about it. As far as i have seen i don't really know of an example of any nonhuman doing this kinda stuff, and with birds afaik they seem to take components or bars of music as sort of literal phonemes or something like that.

With apes, they've tried doing things like playing different types of music vs playing no music vs playing recordings of natural forest sounds and in every case they were stressed out variously based on their own preferences, but in all cases were least stressed by nature sounds.

The closest thing i can think of to animals "getting" music isn't any kind of research and was maybe just a vid of this game these dogs seemingly invented that someone posted in gbs, where these two dogs would start facing each other, then they would spin around in circles until ~some time~ something felt right and then they'd stop facing each other again and see if they were exactly lined up. It was like some rock paper scissors or dance that they were doing. Completely obscure whatever was going on in those dogbrains, but it really seemed like there was some type of rules. Seeing how well they could stay matched up and in rhythm. Maybe dance and music is chicken and egg.

Who knows what the hell anything like a lizard or an octopus would consider music?

yes it’s very much subjective, however some birds will absolutely pick up on the rhythm without it necessarily being a learned behaviour from watching humans, which i think is pretty fascinating

they really aren’t experiencing it in anything like what we do, but that’s fine

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

sideshow clown poo poo

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

never a bad day for UAP disclosure if you ask me

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

mediaphage posted:

yes it’s very much subjective, however some birds will absolutely pick up on the rhythm without it necessarily being a learned behaviour from watching humans, which i think is pretty fascinating

they really aren’t experiencing it in anything like what we do, but that’s fine

Ozzie used to do some version of the William Tell Overture when I first got him. But since I got him from the side of a building I have no one to ask why he learned that or some of his odd "he was obviously trained to do this" stuff. Unfortunately he has self trained what it means when I put my jacket on and he instantly flies to my shoulder. He seems happy enough but he doesn't really sing much anymore which makes me a bit sad. Sometimes he sings to the vacuum cleaner though.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

strong mexican soap opera vibes

i love it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sharknado slashfic posted:

Ozzie used to do some version of the William Tell Overture when I first got him. But since I got him from the side of a building I have no one to ask why he learned that or some of his odd "he was obviously trained to do this" stuff. Unfortunately he has self trained what it means when I put my jacket on and he instantly flies to my shoulder. He seems happy enough but he doesn't really sing much anymore which makes me a bit sad. Sometimes he sings to the vacuum cleaner though.

birds will change their songs to fit in to new environments. do you play him wto ever?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
how far does the birds having music actually go tho? I'm intrigued to know more.

A pointless thought experiment: if humans go extinct, does that mean music-as-music would die too? We seal shut the last in a network of library vaults containing all human knowledge in places we are certain it will be secure forever. There are no humans left, but some creatures pull up and are able to translate everything and make all the machines work and play the music again. Are they able to ~experience~ music? Do you need some branial aspect to have music?
This is just a repeat of the "what is art?" debate people have been cranking off over for centuries, with minor adjustments.

Delta-Wye posted:

strong mexican soap opera vibes

i love it

some cultures have clearly superior soap opera techniques ngl

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

how far does the birds having music actually go tho? I'm intrigued to know more.

A pointless thought experiment: if humans go extinct, does that mean music-as-music would die too? We seal shut the last in a network of library vaults containing all human knowledge in places we are certain it will be secure forever. There are no humans left, but some creatures pull up and are able to translate everything and make all the machines work and play the music again. Are they able to ~experience~ music? Do you need some branial aspect to have music?
This is just a repeat of the "what is art?" debate people have been cranking off over for centuries, with minor adjustments.

some cultures have clearly superior soap opera techniques ngl

i have to imagine they could theoretically appreciate the sounds, but i expect there's so much sociology wrapped up in it that wouldn't be precisely the same, in the best case scenario. like reading a book that's been translated. very well translated, but it's still not the same thoughts. in the same way that our language constrains our view of the world, i imagine that so too does society constrain our understanding of music

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

What we understand as music, to birds it might not be -- some birds will take bars and what're basically samples and gently caress with em, but if they take structural components like basslines or rhythm or something and adjust the texture on it i would be interested to hear about it. As far as i have seen i don't really know of an example of any nonhuman doing this kinda stuff, and with birds afaik they seem to take components or bars of music as sort of literal phonemes or something like that.

To this particular question, you might find the following interesting:

quote:

If you have ever been moved by the beat of a drum or enchanted by a song, or if you have meandered through YouTube to watch animals from elephants to dancing cockatoos swaying and bopping to music, you might suspect that there is an instinctive and primal connection to musical rhythms that humans share with many animals. In a study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, a collaborative team of Tufts University biologists and psychologists looked at how birds perceive songs and found that, like humans, zebra finches can recognize songs by their rhythmic patterns, even when played at very different tempos.

Given the growing evidence that rhythmic timing problems are associated with a number of childhood language disorders, including dyslexia, stuttering, and developmental language disorders (formerly known as specific language impairment), having an animal model of human rhythmic processing could be helpful in understanding how it is linked to vocal communication in the brain, according to the researchers. A recent published study by the authors explored using zebra finches as models for understanding stuttering in humans

The discovery could also provide insights into movement disorders. “Rhythm perception in humans involves complex neural connections between the parts of our brain that perceive sounds and the parts that control movement,” said Andrew Rouse, corresponding author of the study, who recently earned his Masters in Psychology at Tufts. “It’s one reason why rhythm is such a strong stimulus in the desire to dance, but it also suggests that movement disorders like Parkinson’s disease and speech disorders such as stuttering could have links to the same auditory-motor networks in the brain.”

“It is important to note that musical rhythms can facilitate more natural movement in patients with Parkinson’s disease,” added Mimi Kao, assistant professor of biology at Tufts and co-author of the study. “An animal model that can process rhythm patterns could help us understand why that happens.”

Current evidence suggests that rats, which are biologically more closely related to humans and used as models for many human diseases, don't seem to have flexibility in rhythm perception. They might recognize a sequence of notes, but only at one tempo. Yet the researchers found that zebra finches can recognize songs more by rhythmic patterns than specific time intervals. They can recognize the pattern of the beat whether it is played fast or slow. The researchers suggest that this is because the zebra finches, and not rats, have special brain circuitry for learning and processing complex sound sequences and may actually be a better model system than rats for studying the neurobiology of human rhythm processing.

The study authors suggest that the ability to learn patterned vocalizations could be linked to rhythm perception, and there are varied levels of ability to do so across species. For example, birds that can learn new vocalizations throughout life (‘open-ended learners’) should outperform those whose song learning is limited to their youth (‘closed-ended learners’) when discerning rhythms. Some birds, like canaries, vary in their vocal learning abilities seasonally, and others, like finches, may have one gender with more pronounced vocal learning capabilities than their mates. They too, would differ in their ability to learn new rhythm patterns.

Other species predicted by the authors to be better performers at rhythm detection are Alston’s singing mice, marmosets, and Japanese macaques, which engage in call and response vocalizations with others of their species; vocally flexible harbor seals; and bats that alter the timing of their vocalizations to produce regularly spaced clicks for echolocation.

Birds with particularly strong capabilities in learning vocalizations, including those that can mimic a wide range of sounds and human speech -- like parrots, ravens and cockatoos – may have very well-developed brain regions that link auditory and motor neural networks and identify not just rhythms but also complex and varying beat sequences. Many birds that don’t have a singing repertoire, like pigeons, perform poorly when learning rhythm sequences.

“Zebra finches and possibly other species with flexible rhythm perception and specialized auditory-motor forebrain regions will allow fine-grained, circuit-level measurements and manipulations to give us clues to the neural architecture of speech and regulated movement in humans,” said Tufts psychology Professor Aniruddh Patel, also a co-author of the study.

Birds Got Rhythm, Telling Us Something About How We Form Speech and Movement

From anecdotal perspective, I do think that birds using something we perceive as music as their language is related to their interest when they hear our music -- they perceive it as communication, and birds are an enormously communicative species. In case of companion birds in particular, they love exchanging successful communications with their human family members and being so receptive to human music seems likely to be part of that. Music communicates emotion, and birds are capable of deep emotional intelligence. The things mediaphage said just above apply here.

Also, if harmony and harmonious vibrations are the language of the universal Divine itself, I can effortlessly believe it is birds who are the most truly fluent in it

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

i’ve just discovered ozric tentacles. always a great moment to discover some amazing new music. even though this song is 30 years old

very much bird thread flavoured
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXZNXujDg8I

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I can't speak to how a physical non human entity might handle music, I imagine if they have organs that can detect sound waves, there would be an intelligible experience, but so much of what gives music meaning are countless layers of cultural association and dialogue. Most people aren't thinking about why Moonlight Sonata sounds sad, but it's not actually fundamental to the notes played. That's centuries, or millenia, of conditioning and mass human association of certain sounds to certain emotions, and these associations are constantly shifting. We all know that probably, I just wanna state the obvious i guess.

That said? Imo music is literally divine. There's something about it that takes very fundamental elements of being, and works it into a tapestry of emotion and meaning that can start riots and change the course of human history, help you gently caress, help you move on from that person, help you cope, help you exercise, and generally just paint your world with brighter (or more interesting) colors.

I am writing music because it's fun, and i've got people i love, and people i respect telling me i should, it's something i've wanted to do but never found the discipline to get this far, until now. I have no ambition for it, it just brings me a ton of fulfilment and pleasure on a personal level.

The song I'm working on, is honestly bits and pieces I sort of copy from what I mostly do. With most things in my life, I mostly practice and play by way of a kind of un structured meditative experience.
I have to be able to let go, like I can do it around my partner and my sister, but I struggle to do it around strangers - a purely disinhibited state, where the universe is just me and the guitar, and my body and mind take all the chords, all the scales, all the incidental knowledge and little things i've picked up, formal and informal, and I sort of just play without thinking.

Eventually I kind of lock in on a vibe, and vibe really is the best word - it's that intangible - and I follow it. This usually produces bits of music that are extractable for songs, but the experience itself is a meditation, and when I have break throughs in this state, I have the same kind of ecstatic joy I used to find in church during worship, but it's even stronger. I feel like in some sense, I am there with God, and with things beneath God, like I get this sense I am not alone, even though my world is this guitar and myself, I feel myself auditioning before something greater.

This is all around a fully spiritual experience for me, and I mean there are similar states for painting and stuff for me, but honestly music is the only one that fully takes my reigns and rewards my practice and hard work with more joy and fulfilment than i've ever felt doing anything else.

If you're wired like me and haven't discovered music, I have to suggest you pick an instrument and play it every day. Hopefully J'rooti and co will enjoy it, but even if they don't, I actually think it's a great avenue to grow the soul so do it anyway.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

toggle posted:

i’ve just discovered ozric tentacles. always a great moment to discover some amazing new music. even though this song is 30 years old

very much bird thread flavoured
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXZNXujDg8I

ozrics whip

once I got in an Uber with a few friends and the driver was playing ozrics and I was like gently caress yeah man and he said he always plays ozrics but I was the first rider to ever know them

always know your ozrics

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The full thread is worth a read. Mellon is on one today. It's mind boggling that most people are still dismissing all of this:

https://x.com/ChrisKMellon/status/1776295724269158781

https://x.com/ChrisKMellon/status/1776295832347984169

https://x.com/ChrisKMellon/status/1776675760658407796

https://x.com/ChrisKMellon/status/1776675892619518374

https://x.com/ChrisKMellon/status/1776676002317427081

https://x.com/ChrisKMellon/status/1776676111197360363

https://x.com/ChrisKMellon/status/1776676245196939423

https://x.com/ChrisKMellon/status/1776676344178298881

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Riot Bimbo posted:

Eventually I kind of lock in on a vibe, and vibe really is the best word - it's that intangible - and I follow it. This usually produces bits of music that are extractable for songs, but the experience itself is a meditation, and when I have break throughs in this state, I have the same kind of ecstatic joy I used to find in church during worship, but it's even stronger. I feel like in some sense, I am there with God, and with things beneath God, like I get this sense I am not alone, even though my world is this guitar and myself, I feel myself auditioning before something greater.

Edward Karshner posted:

In a linguistically constructed worldview the cosmos itself becomes a heuristic revealing mystical knowledge that establishes the local, personal, and social order at the same time that the local, personal, and social order serves as a heuristic in establishing magical practices that maintain the cosmological order. In other words, while the agent is speaking from a social scene to a human audience, he or she is simultaneously addressing deities in the cosmological realm. The disputants and the discourse, then, speak from and to a complex, multilayered situation.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

mediaphage posted:

birds will change their songs to fit in to new environments. do you play him wto ever?

I've tried yeah, and whistling it to him. He just looks at me like I'm nuts, which is kind of his default look though. Who knows.

Mellon posting specific cases is interesting and I'm going to read a lot into it just because it's more fun that way.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

euphronius posted:

Evo psych is extremely useful. It just gets massively misused by dumbasses looking to justify their bullshit with just-so stories too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

LuckyCat posted:

Oh my god

Oh My God

I am speechless. I literally don't know what to say

I love him

I love you