Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Coming into the league late

I'd like to try a build that actually has really good fullscreen clear, I don't think I've ever played something that could like, clear Legions efficiently or similar stuff

off the top of my head, something like Arc or Exsang seems like it'd work for that, however, I don't want dogshit boss dps for my initial atlas clear and general bossing

Since great clear + single target dps + tank is generally $$, are there any starter builds with great fullscreen clear and solid tank?

Don't want to play mines traps totems or minions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

victrix posted:

Coming into the league late

I'd like to try a build that actually has really good fullscreen clear, I don't think I've ever played something that could like, clear Legions efficiently or similar stuff

off the top of my head, something like Arc or Exsang seems like it'd work for that, however, I don't want dogshit boss dps for my initial atlas clear and general bossing

Since great clear + single target dps + tank is generally $$, are there any starter builds with great fullscreen clear and solid tank?

Don't want to play mines traps totems or minions.

Sounds like you want this league’s budget darling, the CoC DD Inquisitor.

https://pobb.in/ycBKx-WTk4gE

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
For what it's worth, Exsang Mines with the new Automation Support doesn't even really feel like mines, they detonate before they even hit the ground. Clear is great from the get-go, I'm lighting up whole Legions from off-screen, but yeah, boss DPS is not that hot.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

External Organs posted:

My friend, you need some dark shrines perhaps! https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/Mysterious_Darkshrine

You can see where they're at on https://www.poelab.com/

Frank Frank posted:

Do you know about Darkshrines? That final room is nearly impossible if you don't disable the traps in it especially if you get the room with the saw blades/spinning spike things. Keeping your distance from Izaro is extremely important as he has a couple big slams that will just instantly kill you and if you don't have room to maneuver, welp.

Go here:
https://www.poelab.com/

Yeah, thanks. poelab is one of the 5 or 6 tabs I have open whenever I'm playing PoE. Pretty sure I found a Darkshrine yesterday that said I was "Twice Blessed" but didn't know what it meant. It was just frustrating because I could facetank all of Izaro's moves - even the big slam only took me down to half health and barely made a blip if I timed the life flask right - but the teleport was instant death. No time to move or Leap Slam away. Just telepo--dead.

But I know this is just newbie whining. I'll give it another shot today with the reset. I just couldn't handle going through those same six rooms again last night.

Oh, one more dumb question: Does the Bismuth flask do anything if my resistances are already capped? I was switching out my Quicksilver for Bismuth before the boss fights but didn't check if it was worth it.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Very things in the game scale off of your uncapped resistances, so probably not.

"Twice Blessed" = additional use of the Divine Font at the end.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Speaking of lab, is slamming labs the only way of upgrading gem quality? I know you can still do the prism vendor recipe for support gems, but 20x gemcutters for everything else is... wheeze. Slamming lab is still wheeze if I'm gonna need like... 5-7? for each gem. :negative:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
ive never understood the gem thing bcos the recipe sucks rear end doesnt it?? having to relevel the entire gem again?? just spend a couple of div on gcp and it sdone.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

Speaking of lab, is slamming labs the only way of upgrading gem quality? I know you can still do the prism vendor recipe for support gems, but 20x gemcutters for everything else is... wheeze. Slamming lab is still wheeze if I'm gonna need like... 5-7? for each gem. :negative:

pick up every qual gem you find and throw them in a tab, periodically vendor them for GCPs. they take up 1x1 inv slot so most filters keep them

you can set the affinity for gems on the tab, or you can get a gem tab and with that you can sort by quality to make it slightly easier

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

like most things in PoE the solution is to just run a shitload of maps and pick up loot

way more maps than you think

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
simply run cem and get so many union cards u end up having to bulk sell gcps constantly

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

hawowanlawow posted:

pick up every qual gem you find and throw them in a tab, periodically vendor them for GCPs. they take up 1x1 inv slot so most filters keep them

you can set the affinity for gems on the tab, or you can get a gem tab and with that you can sort by quality to make it slightly easier
UGH.

Stux posted:

ive never understood the gem thing bcos the recipe sucks rear end doesnt it?? having to relevel the entire gem again?? just spend a couple of div on gcp and it sdone.
My brother in Kitava, I'm poor. :v:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The quality you get scales up with Lab difficulty. Merc has 4/6/10/15%, while Uber is 8/10/15/20% and has 2 Font uses. You shouldn't need more than 3 trips to take a gem from 0 to 20%.

But like others said, just do stuff and you'll eventually have the GCP or the currency to buy them to just qual them yourself.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Vegastar posted:

Sounds like you want this league’s budget darling, the CoC DD Inquisitor.

https://pobb.in/ycBKx-WTk4gE

I'm doing this right now! DD is so strong that I'm surprised it hasn't been nerfed into oblivion yet. (I guess before this it was a 2-button build?)

It does require shelling out some money for the transfigured gems or running lab. I got lucky and got the spraying steel one in normal lab, but I ran merc lab like 4x (and I really dislike running lab + am pretty terrible at it). Luckily I got the elehit gem so I sold that off and bought the DD gem. It helps that it's like a week after league start I guess so this is all available. Technically the guide says to switch at 20% qual for two of the other gems but no way was I running lab even more, so I skipped that bit and I'll just buy a bunch of gcps when I get the chaos for it. I only got to maps last night but it's crazy how well the build does on very little gear.

Anyway I used the lab compass addon that poelab has and it was great for doing multiple runs. Once you're used to the layout things are a lot easier, and it'll typically let you know where stuff like darkshrines is if you care about that sort of thing. Not sure I'd bother for just one regular run through but if you plan on running multiple times, I found it useful.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Edmond Dantes posted:

UGH.

consider this: the idea of wasting time running lab to get gem quality is only going to make you more poor vs spending that same time making big bucks

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Clocks posted:

I'm doing this right now! DD is so strong that I'm surprised it hasn't been nerfed into oblivion yet. (I guess before this it was a 2-button build?)

There's pretty much no way DD doesn't finally get nerfed after this league, so enjoy it while it's here.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

There's pretty much no way DD doesn't finally get nerfed after this league, so enjoy it while it's here.
Oh, I plan to. I just know that people like Ben used DD to kill ubers at league start and stuff like that for multiple leagues now, but I guess this is the first time it's been popularized for SC trade?

I normally don't play Templar either and it was fun hearing his voicelines. "Go with god, heretic!" *explodes a bunch of corpses in what is surely not an affront to whatever god he still believes in*

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

Bouncy Poison is real fun, don't know if it holds up for lategame but clearing the campaign has been fun and doable so far.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

UGH.

oh yeah and make sure there aren't awakened versions of the gems you want. no point qualling gems you're gonna replace unless you need the effect of quality to make something in your build work

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Paying2Lurk posted:

Oh, one more dumb question: Does the Bismuth flask do anything if my resistances are already capped? I was switching out my Quicksilver for Bismuth before the boss fights but didn't check if it was worth it.

Get as many darkshrines as you can. It will help you a lot. To answer your question re: bismuth, "not really" but it can add resists back if your map mods or a boss lowers them.

E: 2 voidstones down, 2 to go.

Refresh my memory here. I am trying to get a 3 notable large cluster jewel. I finally got 2 of the 3 notables I want on it. Is my only option now to exalt and pray that I hit a 1 in a million chance of getting the 3rd notable I need or is there some better way to do this than alt/aug spam and prayer?

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 6, 2024

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
And Cruel Merciless Lab is down! The layout hadn't refreshed yet so I could motor through the rooms pretty quickly. I did make sure to pick up a couple of Darkshrines and they helped. Lesson learned! Got a Brutal one and the one that turns off the traps in the final encounter.

Went and beat Kitava and finished the campaign. And got the trophy for unlocking all the Waypoints, too. Happy about that. I'm going to make a separate character later for the reading / hearing all the lore trophies.

Anyway, got to the first map boss and instantly got deleted 3 times so I guess that means it's time to do the big equipment, gem, and skill change. That will have to wait until tonight.

Paying2Lurk fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 6, 2024

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Decided to try out a Back to Basics tree, it's a lot of fun. It takes me about 2-2.5 minutes to run a Defiled Cathedral and I usually get 15-20 scarabs per map. Found an Apothecary less than 10 maps in, too. Running maps that look like this is very satisfying:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Paying2Lurk posted:

And Cruel Lab is down! The layout hadn't refreshed yet so I could motor through the rooms pretty quickly. I did make sure to pick up a couple of Darkshrines and they helped. Lesson learned! Got a Brutal one and the one that turns off the traps in the final encounter.

Went and beat Kitava and finished the campaign. And got the trophy for unlocking all the Waypoints, too. Happy about that. I'm going to make a separate character later for the reading / hearing all the lore trophies.

Anyway, got to the first map boss and instantly got deleted 3 times so I guess that means it's time to do the big equipment, gem, and skill change. That will have to wait until tonight.

Yeah maps are a whole other level and if you have been cruising on the same build through campaign, the first few maps can be a rude awakening. Also be aware that they get progressively harder as you go and the requirements to unlock atlas passives get more difficult the higher the map tier. If it makes you feel any better, this is my 3rd league and I still don't have the trophy for reading all the lore. The only way to get it is to follow a guide and it's tedious as hell. I'm hoping that I get it accidentally at some point.

You actually have one lab left to go but I wouldn't attempt it until you're at least level 80 or so with your main skill 6-linked etc. Also make sure you're allocating your ascendency points after each lab (it's not exactly intuitive - go to your passive tree and hit R3 to view your ascendency tree).

Don't worry about dying too much. It really matters very little until you hit level 93 or so - but definitely try and understand what is killing you and why. That's something no one really mentioned when I started playing. It's absolutely vital to understand what it is that you're doing/not doing that's killing you. There are like, a gazillion mechanics going on behind the scenes and understanding them and adapting is how you get better at the game imo.

Also also, send me the PoB for the build you're running and I'll keep an eye out for stuff you can use. I have a decent amount of luck when it comes to finding unspeakably rare nonsense.
I'm going to hit the gym and go grocery shopping but I'll be on later this evening if you want to group (?). I've never actually played in a group in this game outside of power-leveling so I have no idea how it works.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 6, 2024

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Gravecrafted this beast:

I was worried enough about failing again that I set up a whole markov chain calc to figure out my actual odds of success. This one was ~78% chance to succeed, with the very best possible outcome (fractured life, chaos, 1 ele res) being fairly rare. I'm just glad I didn't fail again.

I am planning to finish this via:
- Suffixes cannot be changed
- Veiled orb
- Craft a blocker (probably ailment avoidance)
- Unveil percent life or phys taken as fire/lightning
- Craft whichever one wasn't hit by the unveil.

I have a question about this, though: poedb and Craft of Exile seem to disagree about whether it is possible to unveil "phys taken as fire/lightning" -- Craft of Exile shows it as N/A weight while poedb shows it as weight 2000. Any idea what's up? I assume poedb is right but would like confirmation before I drop 4 div on this.

E: if I had hit the perfect fractured life/chaos/1 res my plan was to essence for mana reservation + an acceptable third suffix.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Gravecrafted this beast:

I was worried enough about failing again that I set up a whole markov chain calc to figure out my actual odds of success. This one was ~78% chance to succeed, with the very best possible outcome (fractured life, chaos, 1 ele res) being fairly rare. I'm just glad I didn't fail again.

I am planning to finish this via:
- Suffixes cannot be changed
- Veiled orb
- Craft a blocker (probably ailment avoidance)
- Unveil percent life or phys taken as fire/lightning
- Craft whichever one wasn't hit by the unveil.

I have a question about this, though: poedb and Craft of Exile seem to disagree about whether it is possible to unveil "phys taken as fire/lightning" -- Craft of Exile shows it as N/A weight while poedb shows it as weight 2000. Any idea what's up? I assume poedb is right but would like confirmation before I drop 4 div on this.

E: if I had hit the perfect fractured life/chaos/1 res my plan was to essence for mana reservation + an acceptable third suffix.

The weighting is just to show you the chances to unveil it on Gravicious armour, you cant craft it with a Veiled Orb

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

e:f;b

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Frank Frank posted:

snip

Also also, send me the PoB for the build you're running and I'll keep an eye out for stuff you can use. I have a decent amount of luck when it comes to finding unspeakably rare nonsense.
I'm going to hit the gym and go grocery shopping but I'll be on later this evening if you want to group (?). I've never actually played in a group in this game outside of power-leveling so I have no idea how it works.

I'm using TbXie's Splitting Steel Champion guide:
https://www.poe-vault.com/guides/splitting-steel-champion-build-guide

and here's the PoB for it:
https://pobb.in/PAaHRLFegzDS

I'm level 75 and will have to spend some time finding / crafting / buying equipment to spec into the "Early Maps" setup of the PoB.

Happy to group up whenever, but I can usually only play PoE at degen hours when I can roll out the long ethernet cable without anyone else in the house tripping over it. Like 10pm EST.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Got it, thank you! That does make the craft quite a bit more expensive on average. At least I can reset after failure with a chaos res essence rather than needing to lock suffixes and scour.

E: Jesus veiled orbs are expensive! WTB veiled chaos please

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Paying2Lurk posted:

I'm using TbXie's Splitting Steel Champion guide:
https://www.poe-vault.com/guides/splitting-steel-champion-build-guide

and here's the PoB for it:
https://pobb.in/PAaHRLFegzDS

I'm level 75 and will have to spend some time finding / crafting / buying equipment to spec into the "Early Maps" setup of the PoB.

Happy to group up whenever, but I can usually only play PoE at degen hours when I can roll out the long ethernet cable without anyone else in the house tripping over it. Like 10pm EST.

Lmao we are running the same exact build. I wish I had saved you my hand me downs

Grab the Lioneye chest. It’s pretty cheap if you don’t have it already. If you can find a sand spitter, I have a black Morrigan I will give you for free to 6 link it.

Also work on fixing your resists asap. That is the #1 cause of “instant death”

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 6, 2024

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Imagine 2 Frank Frank's on the edge of a hideout

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
A new insanely broken strat has emerged - Rogue Exiles everywhere.

Grim is pulling 200-400 exiles per map, each dropping ID'd fractured items and a unique, along with probably more scarabs than you can get back to your stash in 6 portals. And a handful of currency. Think he got 50D worth of scarabs in one map, and that's with all the 1c ones filtered out. He's had to filter out a lot of fractured item stuff too, so only T1 fractures get through.

As you can imagine, you're going to need a near invulnerable build to even consider it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_-KuaX_XXM

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

That explains why that weird super rare magic ID cloak is worth a fortune suddenly, was curious about that.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
remeber when ppl thought this league was going to be a nerf league after afflicition lmao

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
oh no ppl are going to know the imbued scarab is good now ffs :negative:

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I remember looking at the imbued crafting pool a day or two ago and thinking "I bet that rogue exile one is good" and lmao.
I'm going to just keep doing ultimatum and harvest and let the freaks do their weird league specific minmax farms.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
the harvest one is really good as well and it makes crop rotation actually worth running

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I spec’ed into harvest and essence initially means I just can’t do it again. It’s so loving dull. This is the first build I’ve ever played that’s pretty good at legion so I’m having fun w that rn.

I’m gonna take a swing at the elder tonight. The crazy aoe on this build should make it p easy (and I need a WE). Start stacking up garbage grace/clarity eyes again this league

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Galaxy brain strat I just learned: Crystal Resonance node gives the map boss 1 Essence mod per Essence monster you've released, making them SUPER DUPER :rip:Y as you increase the number of Essence encounters in the map.

The Volcano boss is just a totem that doesn't actually deal damage, it summons other totems that do deal damage, which don't inherent those Essence mods.

timanderic_mindexplosion.gif

e: vvv That's the same node

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 6, 2024

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
lol that might actually work. Plus there’s the node that lets you use an essence of corruption to turn ALL essences in the map into a single type if you use an essence of corruption. Also I think I answered my own question re: 3 notable clusters. Apparently there’s a “relatively cheap” way to do it with fossils instead of alt/aug/regal/exalt or w/e

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 6, 2024

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

whypick1 posted:

Galaxy brain strat I just learned: Crystal Resonance node gives the map boss 1 Essence modo per Essence monster you've released, making them SUPER DUPER :rip:Y as you increase the number of Essence encounters in the map.

The Volcano boss is just a totem that doesn't actually deal damage, it summons other totems that do deal damage, which don't inherent those Essence mods.

timanderic_mindexplosion.gif

Volcano boss dropped me a ralakesh's impatience on my first run through it so he's pretty cool in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Me, relaxing, watching basketball safe with the knowledge that this league wont end until mid-July at the earliest.