Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

iPad came out in 2010 and that’s about when things really started to spiral downhill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

It's actually wrong in the opposite direction. The Motorola Razr released in 2004 and was the first real "smartphone" most people were exposed to, and it was cheap enough that some people bought them for their kids. Everyone? No, but that's not what's being claimed.

The first people who have had a phone as their main Internet device their whole lives aren't turning 20, they're turning 30.

Yes, and the world's first television station began operating in 1928, but the first generation to grow up with television as a common social experience is widely regarded as the baby boomers. There's always early adopters, but they aren't the ones who define the zeitgeist.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

It's actually wrong in the opposite direction. The Motorola Razr released in 2004 and was the first real "smartphone" most people were exposed to, and it was cheap enough that some people bought them for their kids. Everyone? No, but that's not what's being claimed.

The first people who have had a phone as their main Internet device their whole lives aren't turning 20, they're turning 30.

Nobody used a Razr as their main Internet device what the gently caress. The Internet on those things was almost entirely non functional and was like 5 dollars per megabyte.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Cerekk posted:

Nobody used a Razr as their main Internet device what the gently caress. The Internet on those things was almost entirely non functional and was like 5 dollars per megabyte.

yeah this. You could technically browse the internet (assuming the web page had a very specific mobile format which I cannot remember the name of) but internet was stupid loving expensive for the first few years of GSM. Sending pics pre-MMS was like 4-5 dollars a piece

IMO the first real smartphone that everyone knew about was the Blackberry Pearl. It was an extremely good phone, could even browse regular websites, and was the beginning of large/unlimited data packages. It was still competitive until the Iphone 3g hit and now Blackberry mostly makes software for car infotainment systems.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I remember the Samsung Galaxy being a hit because it did almost everything a laptop could do...

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
When I went to college in 2010 I knew plenty of people (fellow poors) using slide phones. A year later all of us had smart phones and it felt extremely rare to see anyone without. ANECDOTE!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

euphronius posted:

iPad came out in 2010 and that’s about when things really started to spiral downhill

I got an iPad before I got a smartphone. the phone I had that could not take a picture or play music or anything, but the battery lasted for like 2 weeks and it was really small. the iPad with 3G let me do most smartphone stuff without having the Internet on me all the time in my pocket. life was generally better!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Vampire Panties posted:

yeah this. You could technically browse the internet (assuming the web page had a very specific mobile format which I cannot remember the name of) but internet was stupid loving expensive for the first few years of GSM. Sending pics pre-MMS was like 4-5 dollars a piece

It was WAP, standing for Wireless Access Protocol. Being an elder millennial nerd, I was initially very confused when folks started talking about that Cardi B song.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Blue Moonlight posted:

It was WAP, standing for Wireless Access Protocol. Being an elder millennial nerd, I was initially very confused when folks started talking about that Cardi B song.

Now I want a deeply cringe nerd version of WAP about Wireless Access Protocol

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

When I went to college in 2010 I knew plenty of people (fellow poors) using slide phones. A year later all of us had smart phones and it felt extremely rare to see anyone without. ANECDOTE!

My anecdote is that in 2014 a drunk person grabbed my dumbphone out of my hands looked at it confused and asked, "Is that a phone???"

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Quote-Unquote posted:

I might have posted ITT about this before but I have lived on my current street for 5 years and I have not had a single day where there isn't an alarm going off for no loving reason. This is one of the lowest crime areas for miles around, too.

The main culprit is a luxury custom-built car. The alarm goes off on this thing for no loving reason almost every day. The owner apparently can't turn it off without getting in and driving round the block, which he only sometimes does. Seriously, he gets in the car with the alarm still blaring and drives around until it stops. One time it was going off from 10pm at night until 11am the next morning and I did not get a moment's sleep. Me and my neighbours called the police about it, they turned up the next day shortly after it had been turned off. We've complained to the council but the owners are very rich so this goes completely ignored. Why he won't just get the loving thing fixed is beyond me.

There's also an empty building a few doors down which has an alarm. It's not as loud, it's quiet enough for me to sleep through it when it goes off, but again it goes off for apparently no reason at least once every couple of weeks. The police have never found any signs of forced entry or squatters living there or anything, it just goes off. It usually takes the owners at least three hours to turn up and turn it off.

And on top of that there are a few other cars that go off all the loving time. Nobody in this area pays attention to any alarms any more, because we're so used to them being false alarms. If anyone on this street was actually getting robbed, we'd all just put earplugs in until the alarm stopped. Your alarms are making the neighbourhood LESS safe, and this poo poo should be banned.

Currently being driven insane listening to the same loving house alarm that has been going off regularly all day because it's windy.

It happens all the goddamn time, and one of these days I will break into their loving house out of spite.

bar88537
Nov 8, 2004

Blue Moonlight posted:

There was GoonWap, a site that hosted a bunch of files. Searching now, I found a Banjo Kazooie forum talking about getting video game ringtones there which seems pretty accurate.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
My first 'smartphone' was a hand-me-down iPod touch and it was everything it needed to be. Only apple product I've ever owned.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The RAZR couldn't do loving anything well. It would break when it opened, the screen would bleed, temperature was an issue to be concerned about, the Internet was slow, the screen refresh rate was abysmal, the colors were limited, the sound chip sucked, everything everything everything about the RAZR was absolute complete overpriced garbage. It was objectively a bad phone in every single metric EXCEPT it was so cool to have.

(I worked for T-Mobile customer service in the 00s and the calls we got were like 25% tech support for data devices (early smart phones), 50% billing, 25% something regarding a RAZR not functioning correctly.)

If the RAZR hadn't been made, I think the entire cell phone industry would have had to lay off a third of its customer service workforce. That stupid broken piece of poo poo phone created a demand for customer support.

There was a lot of folk from our side would spend the day making fun of people who bought RAZRs, who were usually middle aged dads who know nothing about technology or consumer reports, buys their kid the cool thing that every kid must have, even though it has half the features of other phones and costs twice as much. We had a white board with a tally to mark every incoming call that had to do with a RAZR breaking -- usually in a way that wasn't technically the customer's fault at all, but due to the way the moisture sensor worked, or any other little "tampering detector" would be tripped, and the customer would have to eat an insurance claim, which was frequently more than it cost them to purchase the phone in the first place, because they would get a discount initially if they also signed up for a two-year contract.

What a vile industry cell phones were in the 00s. Sign a two year contract and you can have the industry's worst-performing-phone for two hundred dollars. When it breaks in a month, you can buy a replacement for 400! And if you need out of your contract because you have no phone, it's another two hundred bucks! That was also in the days of overage. T-Mobile could have lost money on every single phone they sold, every tower they built, every cell phone plan they subscribed customers to, and they would have still made so much fuckin money off overage alone.

credburn fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 6, 2024

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

credburn posted:

The RAZR couldn't do loving anything well. It would break when it opened, the screen would bleed, temperature was an issue to be concerned about, the Internet was slow, the screen refresh rate was abysmal, the colors were limited, the sound chip sucked, everything everything everything about the RAZR was absolute complete overpriced garbage. It was objectively a bad phone in every single metric EXCEPT it was so cool to have.

(I worked for T-Mobile customer service in the 00s and the calls we got were like 25% tech support for data devices (early smart phones), 50% billing, 25% something regarding a RAZR not functioning correctly.)

If the RAZR hadn't been made, I think the entire cell phone industry would have had to lay off a third of its customer service workforce. That stupid broken piece of poo poo phone created a demand for customer support.

There was a lot of folk from our side would spend the day making fun of people who bought RAZRs, who were usually middle aged dads who know nothing about technology or consumer reports, buys their kid the cool thing that every kid must have, even though it has half the features of other phones and costs twice as much. We had a white board with a tally to mark every incoming call that had to do with a RAZR breaking -- usually in a way that wasn't technically the customer's fault at all, but due to the way the moisture censor worked, or any other little "tampering detector" would be tripped, and the customer would have to eat an insurance claim, which was frequently more than it cost them to purchase the phone in the first place, because they would get a discount initially if they also signed up for a two-year contract.

What a vile industry cell phones were in the 00s. Sign a two year contract and you can have the industry's worst-performing-phone for two hundred dollars. When it breaks in a month, you can buy a replacement for 400! And if you need out of your contract because you have no phone, it's another two hundred bucks! That was also in the days of overage. T-Mobile could have lost money on every single phone they sold, every tower they built, every cell phone plan they subscribed customers to, and they would have still made so much fuckin money off overage alone.

too long; call after 9

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
RAZR was the first "gotta have it" phone when it hit the US market. I was in IT, and the day it launched every tech nerd had one. Then all the clones came out and the RAZR was replaced pretty quickly by cheap as hell phones that did everything it did better, except look slick.

Japan has a really interesting cell phone history, they were almost 10 years ahead of the US market. Back when they were still considered the super high tech mecca.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I used to have a Nokia phone with S60 on it and decent 3G and browsed the internet with Opera Mini which was a browser that proxes everything through a filter that converted pages to be readable on mobile phones and that worked surprisingly well for me for a few years.

My family had a RAZR as a backup phone for some reason and every other phone we had was Nokia and it was astonishing to me at the time just how much worse every single part of using the RAZR was.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 6, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Philthy posted:

RAZR was the first "gotta have it" phone when it hit the US market. I was in IT, and the day it launched every tech nerd had one. Then all the clones came out and the RAZR was replaced pretty quickly by cheap as hell phones that did everything it did better, except look slick.

Japan has a really interesting cell phone history, they were almost 10 years ahead of the US market. Back when they were still considered the super high tech mecca.

Every quarter or so there would be a spokesperson from Nokia or Motorola who would come to our location to show us "the future" of US cell phones (which was "the present" elsewhere in the world) and we would all walk away with this confusion as to why we're so behind when the technology and infrastructure was more or less available. It had something to do with marketing and money, we decided. The US was intentionally kept behind so everyone could make money selling us old technology.

edit: I remember there was one Nokia phone which was designed to be disguised as a pen. It had tiny tiny little buttons on one side, and when you clicked the button on the back the "tip" of the pen would extend to provide a microphone. Perfectly in disguise; everyone around you just thinks you're talking into your pen like a crazy person but you're actually having a conversation like a normal person.

edit 2: they ran that phone over with a steamroller to show us how durable it was!

credburn fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 6, 2024

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I'm always late to get things. I remember it was like 2007 and I didn't have text messaging for some reason and this girl I was talking to asked me why I didn't respond to her text the previous night and when I asked what was the text she said something like "oh it was something in the moment, it doesn't matter now" I realized I missed a booty call and that's when I started texting.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
actually the razr owns and cool people had them cause they were good phones

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
now the ROKR on the other hand.....

this piece of poo poo was essentially the precursor to the iphone, what people thought they wanted from an apple cell phone which was just a cell phone with itunes on it. a much shittier version of than the ipods of the day controlled with a lovely nub but it would let you play those songs you paid 99 cents for on the same device you texted people with

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The_Franz posted:

everything you need fits into a purse or satchel,

If everything you need doesn't fit in a small bag you can put under your seat, simply stay where you are or walk or swim to your destination.

If you added up every second of time wasted for each person because some bumbling hoarder couldn't manage to go somewhere without bringing their whole fuckin dragons hoard with them stuffed into an overhead bin, it would be enough time that every star in the universe has long since become a cold iron ball or dissipated into nothingnness.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
ROKR was basically the “faster horses” aphorism come to life.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

dreezy posted:

now the ROKR on the other hand.....

this piece of poo poo was essentially the precursor to the iphone, what people thought they wanted from an apple cell phone which was just a cell phone with itunes on it. a much shittier version of than the ipods of the day controlled with a lovely nub but it would let you play those songs you paid 99 cents for on the same device you texted people with

I had one of these for...God, I want to say 3 years? Maybe a little longer?

I actually didn't hate it except that it only held 100 songs.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Bought a tube of Pizza Pringles and they're kind of dry? Not sure if I got a stale tube or if the potato paste formula changed but they seem to be missing the slight oiliness you're looking for in a crisp

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Kind of minor but Stoffers frozen Chipped Beef and Gravy no longer comes in a bag but in a tray that is obviously smaller in the same package for the same price. It also doesn't heat up as well as it use to where you just poked some holes in it then heated it for 7 minutes.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

If you get cold cuts at my grocery store they fold the zip lock portion over the rest of the bag and put the label over it so it's almost impossible to open without ripping the bag. That is also fairly minor but irritates me every time.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Today I got a snack at Starbucks.

I watched as the employee took the snack out of its individual plastic bag and placed it into a paper one and then handed it to me.

This is why we can’t have nice things.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Paper is better for the environment so you don't have to feel guilty about the plastic bag :downs:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Yeah so I just happened to be looking and it seems the house's roku device (it's a box that hooks up to the TV) has started continuously spamming the entire network with packets for some reason. Pretty sure that's not normal and have never noticed it before if so. :thunk:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'll assume that if you're concerned about privacy, you weren't using Chrome anyway, but it turns out Google was still spying on you when you were using Incognito mode.

But they super promise to delete your data. Or...de-identify it. I'm sure they'll do the right thing, even though it conflicts completely with their entire business model and way of doing things.

The lawsuit originally sought 5 billion dollars that might have resulted in a payout to users, but Google settled and won't pay you anything for doing this with your data.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

doctorfrog posted:

I'll assume that if you're concerned about privacy, you weren't using Chrome anyway, but it turns out Google was still spying on you when you were using Incognito mode.

The real victim is the guy monitoring my search history

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Philthy posted:

That's true, and there was still a surprising amount of flip phones there, also, well into 2013 when I first moved back there. I mean, there were some models you could get that had a little fuckin pull-out TV antenna and tilt the flip part sideways. tap-to-pay RFID technology that was shockingly abundant in terms of places it could be used, such as vending machines. A... passable browser if you didn't mind navigating with a crosspad and the call button. It was nuts the amount of features built into this little fucker I had in 2010. Yeah, you heard what I called you, SoftBank flip phtone, you little bitch. I miss the hell out of you. Return to me, my love. My darling.

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Time_pants posted:

I was never this sort of person growing up, but I make a point of flipping off the surveillance camera whenever I use self-checkout. Here I am, trying to pay for poo poo, and they're taking what is essentially a contingency mugshot.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Time_pants posted:

That's true, and there was still a surprising amount of flip phones there, also, well into 2013 when I first moved back there. I mean, there were some models you could get that had a little fuckin pull-out TV antenna and tilt the flip part sideways. tap-to-pay RFID technology that was shockingly abundant in terms of places it could be used, such as vending machines. A... passable browser if you didn't mind navigating with a crosspad and the call button. It was nuts the amount of features built into this little fucker I had in 2010. Yeah, you heard what I called you, SoftBank flip phtone, you little bitch. I miss the hell out of you. Return to me, my love. My darling.

Oh my god, me too. A phone with a touchscreen face that I could also flip sideways for access to a physical keyboard and stereo sound whenever I wanted, and a TV antenna that used some kind of crazy parallel analog broadcast from cell towers to get free video on demand? That poo poo was fire.

Fishmasher
Apr 22, 2002
hardly a new thought, but youtube gets shittier every day

i clicked ONE innocent video of how to put a horseshoe on a horse, now it's covered in poo poo like "worst and grossest animal feet injuries of all time!" stupid poo poo just squirting everywhere all over the thumbnails, gently caress youtube

yeah i can pause and wipe my watch history, but negative/shock/extremist engagement algorithms need to die for the good of mankind

Fishmasher fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 7, 2024

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I just stopped using YouTube to watch content casually for entertainment. It's now strictly for looking up how to do something. I installed newpipe on my phone to block all the ads and didn't even use an account anymore so there is no algorithm for them to use on me.

I just add the channels I like to it from the actual YouTube app stuff I was subscribed to. Not going to find any new channels id like this way but it's been a while since I find a new good one anyway

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Things i dont understand about Youtube:

I can play dumbshit stolen music radio channels, i.e. a station that is the vocals from top 40 hits slightly autotuned and overlaid to a (and there arent large enough smilies for this) :airquote: reggae :airquote: beats from a Casio, and it will play for hours and hours with nary an ad, however if I want it to play a loop of music videos, it will stop for an ad every single time, and after 40 minutes or so I'll have to manually click to keep listening. That doesn't touch the Pandora-ification of music video playlists, where it will eventually play songs from your other playlists with no regard whatsoever to genres.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Google music was too good, but YouTube ads made them more money so they killed the former. That's about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Mulaney Power Move posted:

If you get cold cuts at my grocery store they fold the zip lock portion over the rest of the bag and put the label over it so it's almost impossible to open without ripping the bag. That is also fairly minor but irritates me every time.

that's the goal. You rip open the bag, food spoils faster, you gotta buy more food. Helps them clear inventory and secure future sales. That's the type of poo poo I hate about our era.

Like how many snack foods have the OPEN HERE on the reverse side of the nutrition label. It's by design so the consumer immediately ruins the government-mandated part of the product that explains how unhealthy it is.