Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I did manage to pop a tank with a rocket pod run, that was cool to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

1stGear posted:

Picturing the Super Destroyer crew high-fiving after absolutely obliterating a scavenger with a railcannon shot.

We're all assholes sir!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Dinosaurs! posted:

I expect it to have very few shots - say four or five. Grenades for your secondary, even if the range is awful, is extremely powerful.

1 in the gun plus 8 spare ammo unless they change it.

But, it's got a pretty slow reload plus it only does 250 damage vs 400 for thrown normal or impact grenades and a much smaller radius, with an outer radius of 2m versus the impact and standard grenades 7m.

It's basically a tool for killing factories and bug holes.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Every time I blow something up with a Spear I feel like the smartest Helldiver on the planet I'm at. Not everyone can make that happen.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BitBasher posted:

1 in the gun plus 8 spare ammo unless they change it.

But, it's got a pretty slow reload plus it only does 250 damage vs 400 for thrown normal or impact grenades and a much smaller radius, with an outer radius of 2m versus the impact and standard grenades 7m.

It's basically a tool for killing factories and bug holes.

250 explosive damage should be enough to pop bile spitters too, yeah?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

If it's good enough to oneshot striders with direct hits it's good enough to find a niche.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Is there a group of goons who plays 8 or 9 regularly?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Reiley posted:

Every time I blow something up with a Spear I feel like the smartest Helldiver on the planet I'm at. Not everyone can make that happen.

Do you have any tips for getting it to work consistently?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Darox posted:

If it's good enough to oneshot striders with direct hits it's good enough to find a niche.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have found that when playing with pubbies sometimes it's a relief when you get down to zero reinforcements. Because then they can't keep respawning each other directly into the middle of 20 berzerkers over and over again

Reiley posted:

because the targeting system doesn't fuckin work

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

johnny park posted:

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
What's the source for that?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Salute to all helldivers who are already level 100 n above, you are my inspiration.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

johnny park posted:

Mashing the right mouse button kinda slowly in a rhythmic pulse to get it to acquire a target can help, seemingly by starting and restarting the target search function until it is satisfied and produces the triangle.

Make sure you have a clear and unobstructed sight picture of your target. The triangle is shy and doesn't like hills or trees.

Be patient with the triangle. It is timid but it can surprise you when it really has its courage worked up.

The triangle hates Hulks and Gunships the most of all things and is most likely to target them quickly. The triangle is ambivalent to cannon towers and fabricators, and may require some coaxing to get it to find them.

When the triangle appears, be sure to encourage it with vigorous mashing. It may only be green for a microsecond, and you'll want to be clicking your button when it does.

Sometimes the triangle will get cold feet and back off before it turns green, this is fine. You will want to disengage your right click and click again to begin a new target acquisition. In these cases the triangle is still around, and odds are fairly good that it will make another attempt. It might not, though, so make sure to pump the rightclicks until it does.

Above all things, be patient with your triangle. The trials of war will shake even the best of us. Give your triangle plenty of encouragement and plenty of Hulks, and it will reward you with a mountain of dead Hulks and, if you've really bonded with your triangle, dead buildings as well. Good luck out there, Helldiver!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Reiley posted:

Mashing the right mouse button kinda slowly in a rhythmic pulse to get it to acquire a target can help, seemingly by starting and restarting the target search function until it is satisfied and produces the triangle.

Make sure you have a clear and unobstructed sight picture of your target. The triangle is shy and doesn't like hills or trees.

Be patient with the triangle. It is timid but it can surprise you when it really has its courage worked up.

The triangle hates Hulks and Gunships the most of all things and is most likely to target them quickly. The triangle is ambivalent to cannon towers and fabricators, and may require some coaxing to get it to find them.

When the triangle appears, be sure to encourage it with vigorous mashing. It may only be green for a microsecond, and you'll want to be clicking your button when it does.

Sometimes the triangle will get cold feet and back off before it turns green, this is fine. You will want to disengage your right click and click again to begin a new target acquisition. In these cases the triangle is still around, and odds are fairly good that it will make another attempt. It might not, though, so make sure to pump the rightclicks until it does.

Above all things, be patient with your triangle. The trials of war will shake even the best of us. Give your triangle plenty of encouragement and plenty of Hulks, and it will reward you with a mountain of dead Hulks and, if you've really bonded with your triangle, dead buildings as well. Good luck out there, Helldiver!

Christ. I’ll stick with AC thanks

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has the railgun been beefed up any or is it still a shadow of its former self.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Every time I don't take autocannon on a bots mission, I wind up wishing I'd taken autocannon like a dozen times

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

lol just had another incident...

5 minute countdown starts, two of our squad just run back without saying anything and immediately call for evac. okay. that's fine we probably can't get all of them in time. so me and other guy start working our way back from the bug tunnels _all_ of us were previously doing.. but there's only a tiny sliver of land back to the evac zone and now it's filled with bugs so we're clearing it out.. it takes us a while because two of them are just sitting on the evac zone within range

but as soon as the shuttle arrives, a level 27 dude immediately gets on the shuttle as we're trying to run and we can't make it.. other dude w/me had all my samples i collected that he picked up after i died. a bunch of reg and rare samples.

what in the gently caress, honestly. can't tell me someone level 27 doesn't know not to get into a shuttle and again he was the lowest level so no way they we're being overrun on a challenge level map.

edit: autocannon is great but apparently the sec gun bullet bounces off chargebacks but the turret autocannon's shells pierce the chargebacks.. :|

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Reiley posted:

The triangle hates Hulks and Gunships the most of all things and is most likely to target them quickly.

I think the triangle and I are going to get along just fine

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

also helldivers.io is really cool... does anyone know if they written about how they're getting the data? i assume they're like screenscrapping their game on steam or something but i think you need to hover over the planets to get the data, right?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Strong Sauce posted:

edit: autocannon is great but apparently the sec gun bullet bounces off chargebacks but the turret autocannon's shells pierce the chargebacks.. :|

turret gun is bigger

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Strong Sauce posted:

lol just had another incident...

5 minute countdown starts, two of our squad just run back without saying anything and immediately call for evac. okay. that's fine we probably can't get all of them in time. so me and other guy start working our way back from the bug tunnels _all_ of us were previously doing.. but there's only a tiny sliver of land back to the evac zone and now it's filled with bugs so we're clearing it out.. it takes us a while because two of them are just sitting on the evac zone within range

but as soon as the shuttle arrives, a level 27 dude immediately gets on the shuttle as we're trying to run and we can't make it.. other dude w/me had all my samples i collected that he picked up after i died. a bunch of reg and rare samples.

what in the gently caress, honestly. can't tell me someone level 27 doesn't know not to get into a shuttle and again he was the lowest level so no way they we're being overrun on a challenge level map.

ive been in similar situations and i just get on the mic and ask them not to leave until i get there since i have all the samples. Pretty much every time theyve waited

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Borscht posted:

Is there a group of goons who plays 8 or 9 regularly?

I’ve been doing bot 9s lately. I usually just say something like @tag-helldivers Bot 9!? And do a quick mission while people decide if they want to join the channel.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I should really get in that discord but I still crash every other mission without fail so I'm not about to inflict that on other divers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lol i just got the gone in 360 seconds achievement, the rarest one, by dropping in at the moment of extraction on a mission with some guys who were completing it.

"jesus christ oh my god get on the dropship"
"thank youuuuuu"
"lol free cheevo buddy"

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

man I want to love this game, it's so good when it works, but 80-90% of my games result in disconnects. not just any disconnects, the game actively makes my internet crash, never had anything like it. all the suggestions online are about the firewall but that doesn't seem to have helped :(

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
There's almost 200000 active players on Tibit right now. :stare:

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I experimented with that and it didn't seem to make a difference :shrug:

Reiley posted:

Thank you. I'll try mashing right click

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Gato posted:

man I want to love this game, it's so good when it works, but 80-90% of my games result in disconnects. not just any disconnects, the game actively makes my internet crash, never had anything like it. all the suggestions online are about the firewall but that doesn't seem to have helped :(

The only time I've ever had a game actively break my Internet connection was when I had some malware that killed my Internet every time I played WoW

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

There's almost 200000 active players on Tibit right now. :stare:

Free Tibit

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Devs should just lean in to every bug in universe like no there is no targeting issue with the Spear the President’s nephew whose company got the contract for the guidance system chips assures us it is functioning properly and reports from the field indicating otherwise are to be ignored.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Had the game crash to desktop at the last stand point when calling down supplies for the 2nd time in 2 days. Suicidal mission, got 3 ultra rares. 1 minute left. Awesome. Just.....awesome. UGH.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tom Tucker posted:

Devs should just lean in to every bug in universe like no there is no targeting issue with the Spear the President’s nephew whose company got the contract for the guidance system chips assures us it is functioning properly and reports from the field indicating otherwise are to be ignored.

I could not be upset with them if they did this.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

FunkyFjord posted:

I should really get in that discord but I still crash every other mission without fail so I'm not about to inflict that on other divers.

We just say that we crashed in voice

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Are the game servers dying? Seems like the game is really choppy for me today and some loading screens seem to take forever. Also crashed after finishing my second mission so maybe it's just time to take a break.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just got kicked after calling extraction. Is that a thing that people do for some reason? I wasn't teamkilling, and had just brought all 3 back.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Some people are fiends and jerks

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont know why people try to go for map clears on blitz missions. You have twelve minutes you are not gonna survive an extraction fight without your stratagems get to the goddamn boat.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Arc Hammer posted:

I dont know why people try to go for map clears on blitz missions. You have twelve minutes you are not gonna survive an extraction fight without your stratagems get to the goddamn boat.

I had one that got pretty close earlier this morning, but the last 2 bases were right next to an airship foundry and we were down to 3 minutes by that point.

It, uh, went south pretty fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

WarpedLichen posted:

Are the game servers dying? Seems like the game is really choppy for me today and some loading screens seem to take forever. Also crashed after finishing my second mission so maybe it's just time to take a break.

verify your files