Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah from what I can tell, "up" means "towards the monster's head". The problem is there are some spots where you can kind of get stuck because the game has a funny way of interpreting which direction that is when crossing a threshold of different body parts.

Yeah, particularly when trying to climb Drakes to get to their chest scar.

I very much prefer fighting Drakes as ranged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Are glasses and dyes the only things to grind RC for?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vermain posted:

it's technically possible to unlock it early, it just takes an insane trek to do so

I did it mid 20s and it was loving ROUGH. The one tip I'll offer is your friend pawns dont cost any RC to summon so stack up with 2 high leveld/geared pawns to help you along the way. Maybe run thief and the cloaking skill because otherwise you will not be able to run away from some fights. And there's a considerable amount of mini-bosses that will annihilate you. (the desert harpies will chase you forever too)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Are glasses and dyes the only things to grind RC for?

yes, although you can also sell art of metamorphosis books for 3k a pop if you're really hard up for cash and swimming in RC

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Tbh Ive just been enjoying ranged in general this go around. DDs melee combat is fun but it's loving chaos and I'm enjoying just being an archer and making the game feel more like Horizon Zero Dawn or something.

That's why I miss strider so much though. You got to be an archer that could have fun whacking things with knives and climbing on monsters if you were in the mood.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

really frustrating that it unlocks so late in the game. I'm 45 hours in and still dont have the option. also they removed Strider which pisses me off cause it was bar none the most fun class

Strider is still in the game. It's called Warfarer now.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I was about to make a crack about there being no fourfold flurry but that's basically the spear hand twirl

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Strider is still in the game. It's called Warfarer now.

I have not unlocked warfarer but I was under the impression that you couldn't use multiple weapon types at the same time?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
no that's the entire point of warfarer, your master skill just lets you swap to whatever your next weapon is. so you can just set it to alternate between bow and daggers

so they're not LITERALLY equipped at the same time, but you justh it a button and swap instantly.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh ok thats pretty cool then.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How does that work out for armor? That would be sick to have a class that could equip any armor.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

How does that work out for armor? That would be sick to have a class that could equip any armor.

It's a class that can equip any armor.

You don't even need to equip the skill that switches between weapons. You can pick 4 archer skills, wear warrior armor, and switch to a mage staff manually via inventory whenever you need to levitate over a gap or whatever.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I played melee 90% of my first playthrough. Switched to MA for the final couple of unmoored world drakes and it was nice. No getting stuck in armpits or anything.

Next run is going to be all ranged/magic.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

veni veni veni posted:

really frustrating that it unlocks so late in the game. I'm 45 hours in and still dont have the option. also they removed Strider which pisses me off cause it was bar none the most fun class

I think all of the vocations in DD1 were available within a few hours but I guess I only get to be a magic archer during the end game in this one.

It's disappointed that Strider isn't in but Thief has a good deal of it, so Good Enough

e: I should stop using so many ferrystones lmao

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
worst part of MA is that quick shot is ABSOLUTELY useless, for some reason they didn't give it the auto tracking that archer has so you basically can't hit anyone with it

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Section Z posted:

It is fascinating the details put in to avoid clipping errors in some cases, while having traditional "It is a cape/hanging on your back item, don't worry about it" mega clipping in others.

I JUST finally realized that my early game guardian plate armor (Fighter or Warrior), removes all the plate metal from the elbow down on one side if you equip a shield, leaving a bare forearm and leather glove.

That is such a neat detail, now I am wondering how many suits of armor edit themselves based on your equipment or not.

If you equip a bow, armor/gloves on one of your arms can be removed. It even does this for armor that Archer can't normally equip if you play Warfarer, and depending on the piece it can be a pretty significant difference.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

worst part of MA is that quick shot is ABSOLUTELY useless, for some reason they didn't give it the auto tracking that archer has so you basically can't hit anyone with it

this is true but with pinpoint auto tracking I don't know why I'd ever use quick shot anyway

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

doomfunk posted:

this is true but with pinpoint auto tracking I don't know why I'd ever use quick shot anyway

Thanks for pointing it out.
I thought MA had 2 controller buttons that did nothing when it's actually 3.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Thumbtacks posted:

For the first few minutes after I got the class, I thought it was bugged. Turns out no, the quickshot auto tracking just has ridiculously poor range and is basically unusable.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 6, 2024

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

actually, on MA, what's the purpose of rivet shot vs pinpoint shot? I gave using rivet an earnest try but couldn't figure out what was going on because for some reason I kept getting set back to pinpoint.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

doomfunk posted:

actually, on MA, what's the purpose of rivet shot vs pinpoint shot? I gave using rivet an earnest try but couldn't figure out what was going on because for some reason I kept getting set back to pinpoint.

One locks fast on single target and slow on multiple targets and the other is the inverse.
It's just there because they didn't have time to do anything worthwhile with it instead.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Is there something I'm missing about making regular archer not suck? I kept thinking "maybe next level I'll unlock a skill that doesn't make me with I was playing literally anything else" but that never played out.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

so it's entirely possible I wasn't getting set to pinpoint, per se, I just didn't really notice the difference. MA is really good and fun but wow there are so many buttons to just never press.

e: ^^^ be sure you're kicking in close range. this changed my opinion of archer; using dire/deathly or explosive for single targets. R1 to aim your special shots, L1 to auto aim them.

doomfunk fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 6, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

Between the note she leaves on your door after max affection and the way she gossips about the way the lecherous noble guy got poisoned I got some creepy vibes from the watchhead's wife.

Well, what does the note say?

The poisoning is 100% deserved so I wouldn't count that as a negative

e: oh. Yeah I think you're reading into it too much

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 6, 2024

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Deformed Church posted:

Is there something I'm missing about making regular archer not suck? I kept thinking "maybe next level I'll unlock a skill that doesn't make me with I was playing literally anything else" but that never played out.

they're almost exclusively there to kill harpies and deliver explosive arrows. you can get pretty solid damage out of them if you're manually aiming with KB+M and can headshot things consistently, but you can also just play magick archer and do the exact same thing but better with homing missiles instead

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

archer is good and fun in short range and long range though where MA at short range is just not great and feels bad

e: I will say archer pawns are typically a lot better than i am, though. but that's why I'm a warfarer.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Deformed Church posted:

Explosive arrows. otherwise the class is the loser of the curious decision to split strider into 2 classes, give one of them everything and poo poo all over the other one

The full draw core skill does most of the job of deathly arrow so you can save a skill by using it instead of deathly arrow, not that there are many other exciting skills to replace it with.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Deformed Church posted:

Regular archer is great but it takes a while to get there and even then it's never particularly flashy. After a bit you unlock the ability to shoot much faster which helps a lot in close range, and also the final move you unlock is insanely powerful. It's a whirlwind that hits a target like 6 times in a row so if you hit a crit spot it just melts health bars. I also like the knockdown shot. It just deletes smaller enemies or throws them off cliffs.

I do wish the archer had a more interesting skillset though because almost all of the abilities are just "shoot a few arrows in a row".

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
The archer does have interesting combo potential with using status arrows to set up big damage from a mage/sorcerer elemental spell, but it feels like a lot of messing about that is reliant on the AI doing what you need it to do for one half of the equation, so I never bothered.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

doomfunk posted:

its weird because yiou'd think pinpoint volley would be the one that autolocks onto one specific spot but it is not, that's rivet shot. Pinpoint volley is extremely good for multiple targets or just general damage if you don't care about hitting weak points (excellent for status effect applications, seems to apply faster if it hits more parts of a monster but idk if that's actually true), rivet shot will basically lock eight shots EXTREMELY quickly one one target. Rivet shot better choice for damage if you can target a weak point, pinpoint volley better for general status application. Also I think it's more overall damage if you're fighting something huge because you will auto lock eight targets instantly, so you full fire eight arrows every time you aim

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
rivet shot does more damage but pinpoint volley is way funnier and that's what matters IMO

also martyr's bolt can one shot every enemy in the game and it owns

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Hm, does transitioning to the unmoored world rot everything in storage? I had a bunch of meats and flowers in storage and now they're all rotted, which never happened before.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

Hm, does transitioning to the unmoored world rot everything in storage? I had a bunch of meats and flowers in storage and now they're all rotted, which never happened before.

Yes because there's like a 3 months time skip.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I just didn't think things in storage rotted, no matter how much timed passed.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

I just didn't think things in storage rotted, no matter how much timed passed.

I don't think they do, it's just a detail they do once for a narrative purpose.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Deformed Church posted:

I am expecting my upcoming archer life to be a lot of crippling jealousy, because I will never be able to snipe targets out of the air 0.1 seconds after my pawn shield bashes them. While still wondering if large enemies are immune to "Tarred status makes it easier to knock them over!" effect or not.

Am I a dumbass for wanting to bring tarred arrows and non-fire elements? Or is it a practical use of status effects beyond "Just add more arrow DPS"? I have no idea! But if it DOES work, that is a lot of mileage per consumable arrow, and free lamp oil is basically everywhere compared to... whatever loving flower crafts explosive when you run out in the wild.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 6, 2024

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I upgraded a bow with max dwarven smithing and that made archery a lot of fun because small enemies are getting stunned with every R1 aimed shot.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tarezax posted:

I upgraded a bow with max dwarven smithing and that made archery a lot of fun because small enemies are getting stunned with every R1 aimed shot.

My pawn has 750 Knockdown Power, it's great. Goblins get blasted into a different area code.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I do wish the archer had a more interesting skillset though because almost all of the abilities are just "shoot a few arrows in a row".

Archer wasting so many of its skills on this and separate abilities for consumable arrows is the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Dowsing and tarring shots requiring consumable arrows was a good trick for ensuring I never use those skills.
At least explosive shot does good damage