Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
"its subjective so it cant be interrogated" lol alright man. subjectively, i think youre incredibly dumb and willingly choosing to miss out on some really great stuff because of formal essentialism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

"its subjective so it cant be interrogated" lol alright man. subjectively, i think youre incredibly dumb and willingly choosing to miss out on some really great stuff because of formal essentialism.

I didn't say it can't be interrogated, it was just obviously going to be really hostile since y'know you came out the gate swinging so I'm not into a hostile interrogation right now.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

disposablewords posted:

Well, first, not calling them objectively inferior. You know, "feeling" and whatnot. My opinions on it are extremely subjective.

And, honestly, the way this thread is moving on it I am already tired. I expressed an opinion and got called an idiot for having it. Fine, whatever. I hit preview and it moves on to new insults and the thread changing focus as I order my thoughts and just... nah, this isn't the place for a meaningful conversation on this. Posting about posting, obviously, but it's not hard to guess where trying to discuss this is going to go and I don't have it in me to want to do so further.

You gained nothing by posting your hot take, except perhaps the knowledge and experience for why it's a good idea to stop and think before hitting the button.

Part of the thinking process is being able to read the room and figure out how hot your take is going to be for your audience.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

VNs are good because they are like books and books are good plus there are also pretty pictures and those are good and also there is the possibility of good music and that is good.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'd probably have finished a Persona game if they were just straight up VNs.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

dmboogie posted:

the battle system remains really lame but the story portion is 100% worth seeing

It's one of those games I think is best played on hard just because it emphasizes considering the strengths and weaknesses of each character and how they interact with each other. Especially those last few missions really felt like nailbiter clutch victories and made me feel like I was playing out this scene from Evangelion.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Runa posted:

You gained nothing by posting your hot take, except perhaps the knowledge and experience for why it's a good idea to stop and think before hitting the button.

Part of the thinking process is being able to read the room and figure out how hot your take is going to be for your audience.

I wasn't aiming for a hot take. I was concurring with the person I was responding to. That I was an example of that. It's just a thing that happens that not every format connects for everyone, for random reasons including weird subjectivity of experience. I just didn't feel like writing a full-rear end essay about where VNs fall in the range of mental experience for me with how I engage with different media, and why they fail for me personally as a format as a result.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean calling an entire medium a 'bad transitional phase' is already a little hostile, you could have just said it isnt really for you

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you make what sounds like a value judgment then people are going to disagree strongly if they feel it has value

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
yeah its crazy i got called hostile when i wasnt hostile until i directly called you dumb. "you should rethink that" and a mild joke about the concept of samsara are both not really hostile at all and certainly much less so than "vns are a transitional medium". thats why i said what i said. you are very clearly bristling after saying something pretty wack and instead of taking the hint, you have to tell everyone how hostile they are lol.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Redezga posted:

It's one of those games I think is best played on hard just because it emphasizes considering the strengths and weaknesses of each character and how they interact with each other. Especially those last few missions really felt like nailbiter clutch victories and made me feel like I was playing out this scene from Evangelion.

yeah, I played through probably the first two thirds of the combat missions on hard until i realized i was only begrudgingly engaging with the battles and viewing them as a tax on getting to the story scenes i actually cared about

i don’t deny that there’s depth the mechanics and i can see why people would enjoy them, they were just thoroughly not for me

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I didn't even give it a chance and kicked it to easy immediately, I just do not like tower defense.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Barudak posted:

Felvedik is a bare bones RPG that looks like if someone shoved PS1 in engine cutscenes into a mid 80s macintosh adventure game and I am incredibly here for it. You had me at alternate universe Hussites but you decided to go further.

I saw the trailer for Felvidek on an indie games roundup Youtube channel, and it looks sick as hell. Definitely on my list to try out
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2299900/Felvidek/

disposablewords posted:

Well, first, not calling them objectively inferior. You know, "feeling" and whatnot. My opinions on it are extremely subjective.

And, honestly, the way this thread is moving on it I am already tired. I expressed an opinion and got called an idiot for having it. Fine, whatever. I hit preview and it moves on to new insults and the thread changing focus as I order my thoughts and just... nah, this isn't the place for a meaningful conversation on this. Posting about posting, obviously, but it's not hard to guess where trying to discuss this is going to go and I don't have it in me to want to do so further.

Condolences. This thread can definitely get pretty weirdly aggro sometimes. Don't forget that SA has an ignore feature if you are finding particular users really stressful to interact with, it definitely helped my experiences here.

I think I can agree that a lot of visual novels can definitely be enhanced by a little interactive gameplay. 13 Sentinels and Utawarerumono are both basically visual novels with strategy rpg stuff on the side. The Ace Attorney games are basically visual novels with some logic puzzle stuff. Ghost Trick... well, genres are generally nonsense, but I'd consider that more an adventure game. But overall, I can definitely see value in a lot of VNs using more styles of player engagement. Both the strategy battles and the detective work helped me get more invested in the characters, and that investment got me more engaged in the story being told.

In my experience, when you are dealing with VN titles that aren't doing a bit of multiclassing on the side, the audio design can still make a big difference. A reactive soundtrack can do a ton to set mood, and there was a pretty fun video on Octopath's sound design a while back that might cast some light on that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Zc3f8cPnU

I'd also say that if you're looking for something that VNs are uniquely suited for as a genre, IMO they work particularly well for branching stories. You can quickly fast-forward or skip to key choices, see how those lead to different outcomes, and that can be very satisfying for some players. Strip away all the extraneous stuff and focus on how particular choices impact the world.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Endorph posted:

if you make what sounds like a value judgment then people are going to disagree strongly if they feel it has value

I also couched it in terms that I thought were entirely putting it on me. "I can't escape the feeling that..." is about my failure to connect to the medium.

I even agree with most of the positive stuff said about VNs in general and how they accomplish what they do, I think that's cool, but my various attempts to get into them have failed so I can't really discuss those elements in further depth. What that leaves me to respond to is direct statements to me. Which did involve getting insulted, including for my attempt to disengage and admit to just being brokebrained about the matter. I guess I was just talking too circumspectly about that - I didn't and don't want to spark what I see as a likely descent into one of those extended point-for-point forum arguments, those things suck entirely to be part of or even just read.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
It doesn't matter if you add "I feel" in front of a value judgment that was underbaked and poorly-argued.
Subjectivity is already baked-in when it comes to appreciating art, but when you start stating a theoretical reasoning behind it, then you get into discussion and argument territory.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I've been playing the boring parts of FF7 Rebirth (which included multiple hours of the Ancient's Temple, surprisingly enough. Fortunately, neither of the two people invested in that playthrough are interested in picking up all the side treasures at this point. First boss was cool, and I have high hopes for the next one), Dragon's Dogma 2 (fantastic game for wandering around. I got my first DD2 story wandering into a cave, getting a surprise ogre, Levitating back and forth across a chasm as I frantically tried to KO it, and running into multiple layers of surprises in my attempts to hobble back home.), and Sons of Valhalla (very charming pixel art, meh progression and story, strategy game portion was somewhat satisfying but I felt like I was done with the game after 3 hours and 1.5 "levels").

Really hoping to get back to Troubleshooter (still haven't gotten monster taming unlocked), Wandering Sword (it got a free expansion!!), and maybe Born of Bread )now that they've had a number of patches), but I keep finding myself wanting to wait until I can give them my full attention, when I'm not tired out from work+commute.

However, I am spending a lot of time tired from a commute looking for a game that doesn't require me to get too invested. So I am putting a semi-surprising amount of time into Exiled Kingdoms. I'm not sure why I find this so compelling when Siege of Avalon (which I dropped around chapter 2) felt like it had better controls+writing, but I love the little risk/reward tradeoffs I am making and the surprisingly in-depth setting stuff I can find in the wiki. It's also remarkable how much of a shift it is compared to the dev's EA version of Archaelund, set in the same world. Very much a 7/10 (approving) game for me, though I expect the incredible UI jank and weird writing for most of the protagonist's dialogue would throw off a lot of people

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think you could just say "my bad i just haven't been able to get into them" my man

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i don't like visual novels either

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

yeah they ain't for everyone

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I personally dislike VNs that have additional gameplay mechanics because I got fooled by an Utawarerumono game as a young man who just wanted to play SRPGs and was left going "drat the cutscenes between stages in this game are really long, what's up with that?" This has created a long lasting vendetta against the entire art style.

Also because a friend when I was young INSISTED I had to read the original uncensored version of Fate Stay Night and lemme tell you those sex scenes are incredibly badly written.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i get where you're coming from i guess but when you cake on this many words about being self conscious and trying to uh, take culpability i guess, it just kinda dilutes whatever you're saying and makes it more about you and pulls us further from talking about brave fencer musashi for ps1, the game where i keep getting lost cause they don't mark where anything is on your map and turns out i am very navigationally confused. they gave me a key to the mines and emphasized how i needed to go into the mines and somehow i wandered through the entire accessible portion of the forest before realizing the mine was a big cave with a lock on it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

the mouse girl from brave fencer musashi never once says "this one's on the mouse" when you fight her

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
What's the recommended VN to start with? Umineko?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Infinity Gaia posted:

I personally dislike VNs that have additional gameplay mechanics because I got fooled by an Utawarerumono game as a young man who just wanted to play SRPGs and was left going "drat the cutscenes between stages in this game are really long, what's up with that?" This has created a long lasting vendetta against the entire art style.

Also because a friend when I was young INSISTED I had to read the original uncensored version of Fate Stay Night and lemme tell you those sex scenes are incredibly badly written.

they are badly written but fsn also has an awful 2000s era fan translation and the more sexual aspects of fsn don't factor into much thematically until you're in the last route so going in unprepared you're getting a triple combo of fate route sex scenes that were in there more out of obligation, nasu not really caring about writing them or being good at it and the fan translation's awful ways of translating his dialog into english making it all come off extra surreal. i dunno why every early nasu thing has this goofy arc where he opens stories with incredibly clumsy uses of sexual content and then ends them with mostly thoughtful and empathetic explorations of it but he did at least get over that by the end of the decade

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 6, 2024

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Deadfire took the novel approach of littering the world with Choose Your Own Adventure sections. Whether it's by moving between districts of the hub city, exploring dungeons, or clicking on them in the overworld (This is the few modern modern RPGs to let you move on the world map)

They tried implementing naval combat through CYOA sections, but the devs admitted that sucked and just let you skip them by fighting the enemy crew on deck.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

poe meater posted:

i'm not sure there uh, is one? it just depends on what you want to read, there's no real barrier to entry beyond your own interest and i guess whether the translation of what you want to look at is bad. if higurashi or umineko sound cool to you then i would say they are worth looking at.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

poe meater posted:

There's some recommendations in the all ages visual novel thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705885&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
imo, i do think a lot of VNs are bad at taking advantage of the strengths of VNs

poe meater posted:

if you want more of an introduction to the medium i would actually recommend something shorter probably, but other than that its good yeah

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the one i'll boost is fata morgana because i have a friend who really likes it and i too think it is pretty good. oh and wanting wings if you want a funny lesbian romance one, that one came out on steam recently and is very good. really a lot of very good lesbian romance vns lately if that's a specific category you have any interest in, the flowers games are kinda wonky as mysteries but their character writing is really fun and for some reason the writer is obsessed with referencing old american sitcoms

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 6, 2024

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

the recommendations in the OP are boring, skip to later pages if you use this thread as a reference

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
If games like Pyre count then I recommend Pyre.

Half VN, Half Wizard Basketball. The Wizard basketball part is not as fun as it should be but the VN parts are really endearing and make up for it imo.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Fata Morgana is absolutely goated.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the visual novels i like 🤓
umineko 🤓
fata morgana 🤓
lady killer in a bind 🤓
misericode 🤓
kindred spirts on the roof 🤓
lady in mystery 🤓

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this is my favorite part of the third flowers game

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What VN would I recommend... well, I like Suzerain and Ace Attorney. One is half politics sim, and the other is half adventure game.

Visual Novel Book Club eps on Hustle Cat and Shibuya Scramble made both of those sound fun.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Ace Attorney series is a great way to get someone into VN without realizing they're playing a VN.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
you are not suppose to say ace attorney is a visual novel, its true but it makes genre purists be annoying
those are on my favorite list tho too but i am a dipolmat with a high CHA stat so i left them out

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i also been reading a vn called katahane that is really cool but i only playing it in japanese cause theres no tl for the special fancy version i dled so i dunno how good its fan tl is. supposedly there's an official tl coming out some time in the next decade but no news on an actual date for it. the game is cool cause it's a fantasy road trip adventure about a group of dumb teenagers who want to put on a historical play and in the process they end up uniting a robot girl and an orphaned girl who's working to become an actress as a gay couple while dealing with their own dysfunctions as a group. also there's multiple weirder tinier robot girls tagging along with them who get into wacky cartoon antics. one of them lives in a picnic basket

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
in short the best starting vn is just whatever vibes best with you. i really like fsn but it's not one i'd recommend for it not cause it's not good or anything but just cause it's pretty immense in length, the fan translation is very, very bad and it is in general something you're more likely to appreciate when you have more of an understanding of its cultural space and how immense of an achievement it is and also what kind of place its writer is coming from in general. i pray the official tl is good, whenever it happens now that type-moon has actually started releasing their games in english

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

you are not suppose to say ace attorney is a visual novel, its true but it makes genre purists be annoying

being annoying is the general purpose of purists after all