Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Holy gently caress we have some old rear end nerds here. I never knew any of this growing up. Grok was always just “get” from my IRC / BBS addled experience in the late 80s to late 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I grok the zeitgeist

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I read Stranger in a Strange Land in high school and desperately wanted a Martian orgy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

GD_American posted:

The campaign to save the original Star Trek TV series handed out bumper stickers that said "I Grok Spock".

It was in common usage offline before it was in common usage online. Because prior to the early 90s, there was common usage of anything online.

Who cares about offline? Bunch of normies.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Crab Dad posted:

Who cares about offline? Bunch of normies.

nothin normal about star trek fans.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not all Star Trek fans are pedophiles, but almost all pedophiles are Star Trek fans.

Take that for whatever it is worth. nothing

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stultus Maximus posted:

I read Stranger in a Strange Land in high school and desperately wanted a Martian orgy.

lol I thought heinlein was a weirdo even then.

maffew buildings posted:

every time I see grok i mmediately assume someone misspelled "gork", one of the two brother ork gods, and then i am very dissapointed in the truth of the matter. gork and mork would have no time for sweaty orgies, gork and mork have their priorities straight (fighting) hell yeah

The bonobo/chimp dichotomy

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Not all Star Trek fans are pedophiles, but almost all pedophiles are Star Trek fans.

Take that for whatever it is worth. nothing

mods knew

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

:aatrek:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think it’s pretty unlikely Elon ever actually read Banks

I'm not going to find it, but he Tweeted about how most books would be better summarized by AI.

All his knowledge of popular/nerd culture seems to have been absorbed second-hand.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He's really, really loving stupid

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
He's also a champion at the "let someone know you're not x without saying you're not x" genre of bad posting.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Steezo posted:

Competency is punished because competent people do poo poo and make small mistakes that they learn from in training. Pencilwhip dipshits then punish them for minor poo poo while adding risk management bullet points to their own NCOERs/OERs.

This bit reminded me of the difference between pilot training on the Enterprise and the Hornet.

If you hosed up a flight on the Enterprise, your punishment was extra flight hours until you got it right and could be relied upon to do it right.
If you hosed up a flight on the Hornet, your punishment was to be allotted LESS flight hours, presumably to teach you a lesson about not loving up under pressure.

For some reason, the Hornet did a piss poor job during the battle of Midway and that reason lies squarely on the shoulders of the air commander, Stanhope Ring.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Wait, so it's supposed to be "if at first you don't succeed, try try again" and NOT "if at first you don't succeed, YOU'RE A loving FAILURE, NOW PUT ON THE IDIOT HAT AND SIT IN THE CORNER"?

Big if true.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The ineffective draconian pilot training methodology of the IJN USN

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I learned how to kiss and how to approach sex from Stranger in a Strange Land.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I learned from Huxley's Island

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

i learned on epsteins island

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

joat mon posted:

That either went very well or very poorly for you.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

My Spirit Otter posted:

i learned on epsteins island

ugh

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

joat mon posted:

Can I preorder your autobiography? Very curious.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
"grok" is an onomatopoeia that only happens when the sex is perfect

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I was a nerdly teenager with vaguely libertarian views (i.e. the perfect demo for Heinlein) and the back half of Stranger in a Strange Land irritated the crap out of me. I wanted to just get back to the interplanetary politics instead of all the weird tattoo sex orgy religion nonsense.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

A.o.D. posted:

He's also a champion at the "let someone know you're not x without saying you're not x" genre of bad posting.

Not really sure what genre that is but I'm sure he is also it because he is also very bad at posting. What did you mean tho

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

SerthVarnee posted:

This bit reminded me of the difference between pilot training on the Enterprise and the Hornet.

If you hosed up a flight on the Enterprise, your punishment was extra flight hours until you got it right and could be relied upon to do it right.
If you hosed up a flight on the Hornet, your punishment was to be allotted LESS flight hours, presumably to teach you a lesson about not loving up under pressure.

For some reason, the Hornet did a piss poor job during the battle of Midway and that reason lies squarely on the shoulders of the air commander, Stanhope Ring.

They send you back to lake michigan until you get it right

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Milo and POTUS posted:

Not really sure what genre that is but I'm sure he is also it because he is also very bad at posting. What did you mean tho

It’s where someone posts a phrase or observation related to a human experience, but the thing they post makes it clear that they have never actually had that human experience, because if they had then their takes would be different.

I think.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh so like basically everything he posts

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Stultus Maximus posted:

That either went very well or very poorly for you.

It's still going very well.

quote:

I’ve been kissed by men who did a very good job. But they don’t give kissing their whole attention. They can’t. No matter how hard they try parts of their minds are on something else. Missing the last bus—or their chances of making the gal—or their own techniques in kissing—or maybe worry about jobs, or money, or will husband or papa or the neighbors catch on. Mike doesn’t have technique . . . but when Mike kisses you he isn’t doing anything else. You’re his whole universe . . . and the moment is eternal because he doesn’t have any plans and isn’t going anywhere. Just kissing you.

And brilliant definition of grok, the double entendre at the end is :discourse:

Subjunctive posted:

Can I preorder your autobiography? Very curious.
Lol. Island is there too. And the Hardy Boys. And the AAFES catalog lingerie section

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

A recent example:

Musk stated that the Francis Scott Key bridge could be rebuilt within months by reusing the steel from the collapsed bridge. That was a "Tell me you know nothing about engineering without telling me you know nothing about engineering" moment. Almost every time he opines about a subject, to include things that he should specifically know about, like financial systems, electric cars, or space rockets, he consistently falls on his face except in the instances when he's been coached to give a prepared speech on the topic and sticks to the script.

Subjunctive posted:

It’s where someone posts a phrase or observation related to a human experience, but the thing they post makes it clear that they have never actually had that human experience, because if they had then their takes would be different.

I think.

That's a reasonable summation.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 7, 2024

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Subjunctive posted:

I think.

Ah, so like how I have never been bad at posting. :v:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Quackles posted:

Ah, so like how I have never been bad at posting. :v:

Tell me you've never been a good poster without....

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

A.o.D. posted:

A recent example:

Musk stated that the Francis Scott Key bridge could be rebuilt within months by reusing the steel from the collapsed bridge. That was a "Tell me you know nothing about engineering without telling me you know nothing about engineering" moment.

what?

.........i mean, what????

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

what?

Look it's already shaped like bridge parts, you just gotta bolt it all back together sorry I can't elaborate further I have many other fantastically stupid things to tweet today

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

what?

On 3/29 Apartheid Clyde posted:

If you reuse the truss steel that fell, it could be functioning in 3 to 6 months.

The repair should be put to commercial bid with a massive incentive for early completion.

Exact quote, just de twitterfied for non account havers.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Speaking as a big contractor employee, I've never, ever seen early completion bonuses cited as a reasoning to cut corners.

Been witness to some fun close-out punch list shitstorms thanks to that. :allears:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I am sure no one ever bids with an unrealistic schedule and then blackmails the government to pay more to complete it way late.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
noted science genius elon musk, understanderer that steel is steel and after being sheared or twisted it is still steel, therefore

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
WTYP covered that dumbass Elon tweet at this point in their latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4q7K2rfG3w&t=4586s

General recap: 99% of that steel is now trash for many reasons, the next bridge will probably be a cable stay bridge that doesn't need that poo poo anyways, these big construction projects already get awarded with an early completion incentive bonus, and Elon's a fucknut

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

c'mon, that was solid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
just melt it all down and reforge it! 0% loss!!!!!!!!!!

i am very smart