Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Jay Rust posted:

Ok so we're just going to keep ignoring that the thread title still says "thing" and not "think"?

Much like the Viking debate, I have debated my family on whether the phrase is "if you think X, then you've got another think coming" or "... another thing coming." My dad and brother are for "think", whereas I stand with Judas Priest on it being "thing".

Speaking of the Thing, he would go great in your batmobile.

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Well that's just opening a kettle of worms.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

But what about Smash Mouth?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

bunnyofdoom posted:

But what about Smash Mouth?

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

lol

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly1VOlZMF1k

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

:wtfdude:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the simpsons meme thread is going to strange new places

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
that can't be right

oh dear god no

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

E: I was in Mexico when I was first confused to learn about metaphorical Viking interpreters, and I'm in Mexico now, still confused about metaphorical Viking interpreters. Fun coincidence there

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 6, 2024

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I've often theorized that the debate splits among US/EU lines, with Europeans and Brits more likely to interpret "that's where" as commonly referring to an area of expertise.

But more importantly: when Don Mattingly finally shaves the sides of his head out of frustration and Mr. Burns yells "I thought I told you to trim those sideburns," really emphasizing the word "trim," does he think Mattingly still has sideburns (whatever Burns may understand those to be), or is he upset that Mattingly shaved them all the way off rather than trimming them back?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Does Marge say the makeup gun is set to "horror" or "whore"?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's definitely whore, frinkiac agrees with that.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

emgeejay posted:

I've often theorized that the debate splits among US/EU lines, with Europeans and Brits more likely to interpret "that's where" as commonly referring to an area of expertise.

Sort of, but it might be more along the lines of whether English is your native language. Timestamped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99qXaVFZkQE&t=657s

(pretty sure this was posted the last? before last? go-around)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

emgeejay posted:

Absolutely not. Brit here and it’s abundantly clear that nobody in their right mind would assume he was talking about being good at sleeping because that makes absolutely zero sense, and not even in a “haha Ralph says silly things that’s just his character” way because those occasions are always him saying something that’s kind of close to what he’s obviously trying to say so you can infer his meaning clearly even though he botched the delivery.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ralph is a viking on the advice of his leprechaun.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Tenebrais posted:

Ralph is a viking on the advice of his leprechaun.

Yeah. Vikings. Starting fires. There's something there.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'm still waiting to hear where the hell people use "be a Viking" to mean "be good at" (aside from Albany of course). I've literally never heard anyone use this meaning, and it makes no goddamn sense.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Ralph's Viking's breath smells like Viking food

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

PittTheElder posted:

I'm still waiting to hear where the hell people use "be a Viking" to mean "be good at" (aside from Albany of course). I've literally never heard anyone use this meaning, and it makes no goddamn sense.

No, nobody's saying that's an actual, real-world expression. We're saying it sounds like something Ralph might use to mean "be good at" since he's a weird little guy.

To me, at least from that non-native English speaker perspective like in the video, it's the "where" in the line that makes it sound like a metaphor. If they had used "when" (or "sleeping") it would sound literal.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Trabant posted:

We're saying it sounds like something Ralph might use to mean "be good at" since he's a weird little guy.

No it doesn’t.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

PittTheElder posted:

The writeup that sparked the whole derail addresses this point specifically

:eng101:

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
It's weird that anyone would declare their intent to dream a particular scenario.

If he said "That's where I can fly" or reference some other common dream imagery then it'd be easier to realize he means the content of his dreams.

But you people think when someone says they're a pig that they literally mean they're a barn animal.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!

War Wizard posted:

It's weird that anyone would declare their intent to dream a particular scenario.

If he said "That's where I can fly" or reference some other common dream imagery then it'd be easier to realize he means the content of his dreams.

But you people think when someone says they're a pig that they literally mean they're a barn animal.

Oh boy, sleep! That's where I am a literal pig because I can be anything when I'm dreaming.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
oh boy, a pig! that's where I'm sleeping!

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
You've all just been mishearing it, sleep is where Ralph can be a bi king.

Yes, but what man can tame him?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Alright, Metaphorists, let's hear it:

List some examples of "That's where I'm a [metaphorical thing]" conveys being at good something, and make it sound like something a real human being has actually said at some point. If you actually land on a phrase that anyone else in this thread has actually heard before in real life, I'll mow my lawn wearing my wife's Sunday dress concede your point and consider converting to your religion.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Drink-Mix Man posted:

List some examples of "That's where I'm a [metaphorical thing]" conveys being at good something, and make it sound like something a real human being has actually said at some point. If you actually land on a phrase that anyone else in this thread has actually heard before in real life, I'll mow my lawn wearing my wife's Sunday dress concede your point and consider converting to your religion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRvCvsRp5ho&t=56s
I'm a Ralph Literalist

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
That's where he's A-Viking, which is to say that he's the main Viking in a way that B-Viking would not be.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

If it's about Ralph misunderstanding what "Viking" means, then other good examples would just be stuff like "that's where I'm a champion" or "that's where I'm a pro" or something. It's only metaphorical because Ralph doesn't know words good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

PittTheElder posted:

To be frank They don’t. It’s one of those jokes where a bunch of people pretend to believe something really obviously wrong in a non sequitur way, and the humor comes from laughing at people who aren’t in on the joke getting mad and flustered at the people pretending to be wrong. The more “you” disbelieve that they actually believe it, the more they double down because that will make “you” that much more flustered.