Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Skyfall has the bit where Bond's family groundskeeper saws off an old hunting rifle and loving obliterates one of the bad guy henchmen with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

And it's not clay pigeons, but there is this scene from Moonraker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAsWn59Ti1I

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Found a cool mechanic in The Chant between chapters 4 and 5 - a very well hidden fast travel mechanic that the game in no way tells you exists, you just have to find it. I thought that was cool. Also chapter 4 was pretty cool despite having to replay it due to a softlock

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Started playing Immortals of Aveum and I have to give it to them. At the very beginning in the slums chests contain 1 or 2 gold. Then when you leave the area and break other chests they give you like 200-300 gold

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Yakuza 3

:allears:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
"What the poo poo" is my favorite phrase from Yakuza

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Yeah same. Also Yakuza 3, Majima just came to the rescue with his pink construction truck with leopard print seat covers.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Mierenneuker posted:

And it's not clay pigeons, but there is this scene from Moonraker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAsWn59Ti1I

Somehow I have never seen this scene. The one i was thinking of was Thunderball and he does look at it so my memory is faulty.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Vic posted:

Yeah same. Also Yakuza 3, Majima just came to the rescue with his pink construction truck with leopard print seat covers.

Yakuza 3 is great and the people who hate it are wrong

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

credburn posted:

"What the poo poo" is my favorite phrase from Yakuza

And now I wonder if that's where Archer got it from.

...Archer in Yakuza is almost too easy to picture.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

...Archer in Yakuza is almost too easy to picture.

Archer would absolutely get addicted to Pocket Racer.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

is 3 the most "dated" Yakuza now since 1 and 2 have remakes?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Meowywitch posted:

I think so, that was its biggest hurdle when I played through a big chunk of the series starting with 0 and the 1/2 remakes. It was a great game, just a step back technologically even with the remastered version.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They did that because they couldn't say "what the gently caress", but "poo poo" is perfectly OK to say on tv

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

Yeah in all kinds of ways, and especially coming off Kiwami 2.

But content wise it's as rich as any yakuza game. I definitely disagree with the story being skippable, it's really good. The first few chapters are taking place in Okinawa and are about running the orphanage, watching big dummy Kiryu deal with kids problems is endearing.
It's kinda slow start but I think that's the point of showing life in Okinawa because when you show up in Kamurocho it's that Yakuza poo poo again.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
first use of "what the poo poo" i remember was in the matrix. iirc it was actually phrased that way because another f-bomb would have upped the movie's age rating

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I always thought 'what the poo poo' is a redneck thing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vic posted:

It probably is, one of the primary redneck pastimes is coming up with new forms and combinations of invective, mostly out of boredom. Source: Is a redneck.

And hey, Ray is a redneck, they mighta picked it up off him.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Vic posted:

in Yakuza it's said by guys that are coded as Rednecks (Osakans)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Meowywitch posted:

Dead souls

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Meowywitch posted:

Strictly speaking Kenzan's the most dated, it came out before 3 and hasn't even had a remaster even in Japan.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Apparently Shrek has an Osaka accent in the Japanese dub.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

That game doesn't exist.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

credburn posted:

in Yakuza it's said by guys that are coded as Rednecks (Osakans)
I wish that weren't the go-to dialect trope--Osaka is a huge vibrant city, nothing redneck about it--but U.S. English only has so many coded accents that can be visually conveyed. I'm guilty of it myself--but I'm trying to do better, like when I almost automatically translated an Osaka-dialect speaker into saying "y'all," then reconsidered and changed it to "youse." Much better, and more accurate to how the accent is actually perceived by standard-Japanese speakers. Better in a Yakuza game, too, for sure.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Hirayuki posted:

I wish that weren't the go-to dialect trope--Osaka is a huge vibrant city, nothing redneck about it--but U.S. English only has so many coded accents that can be visually conveyed. I'm guilty of it myself--but I'm trying to do better, like when I almost automatically translated an Osaka-dialect speaker into saying "y'all," then reconsidered and changed it to "youse." Much better, and more accurate to how the accent is actually perceived by standard-Japanese speakers. Better in a Yakuza game, too, for sure.

Happened to Lotta Hart in the Ace Attorney games too. Full on redneck accent.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hirayuki posted:

The Trails games use Scottish for Kansai dialect. (Becky)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
"What the poo poo?"
-Shrek

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
How come Shrek has a Scottish accent anyway

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

How come Shrek has a Scottish accent anyway

Because Mike Myers enjoys doing it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hirayuki posted:

The Yakuza games don't exactly do a straight translation to hick accents either, I think one of the VAs has said they kinda mix things to get the right vibe across. New Jersey kinda accent is also a fitting stereotype, since it's kinda treated as backwater, old-fashioned and also urban hustlers. London gangster also comes to mind.

Now on the other hand, Goku and Chi-Chi should sound outright Appalachian, as they are meant to be deep backwoods mountain rednecks.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

why is it never a great lakes accent, ya know?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Ope, gonna sneak past you for the Ranch dressing Heat Action

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

BioEnchanted posted:

Because Mike Myers enjoys doing it.

And one day he will be dragged to the Hague to answer for his many crimes.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Leave posted:

Ope, gonna sneak past you for the Ranch dressing Heat Action

Essence of Hidden Valley.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Final Fantasy 7 For the Playstation 5: You get to dress up your chocobo and the gear can have custom colours.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hirayuki posted:

The first Yakuza game I played was 0 and once Majima shows up, it's the first time I noticed a change in dialect, the way a person speaks. When reading what he was saying I was really confused as to whether he's (forgive my limited vocabulary) supposed to be a "redneck" or "gangster." The abbreviating gerunds, like "Listen to what I'm sayin'. They're goin' to be playin' at the..." etc., whatever) could go either way. I think something like "youse" would have helped edge my read more toward gangster but "youse" is also such a silly word and I don't know that I've seen it used outside media playing off the American gangster thing as an exaggerated trope.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The Hakata dialect you hear a lot in Fukuoka in Yakuza 5 (~ken, ~batten, ~bai, etc.) is also pretty interesting and not something you hear very often, but I can't remember off-hand if they tried to express it in any particular way in English.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kennel posted:

"What the poo poo?"
-Shrek

Um, actually in the original Japanese he says "kuso" so a more accurate translation would be "What the goddamn motherfucking bullshit?"
:goonsay:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Kanfy posted:

The Hakata dialect you hear a lot in Fukuoka in Yakuza 5 (~ken, ~batten, ~bai, etc.) is also pretty interesting and not something you hear very often, but I can't remember off-hand if they tried to express it in any particular way in English.

Same way as Osaka basically. A lot of apostrophes' everywhere. Not much conveyance in English beyond the fact that its informal and isn't "proper" English (or i guess japanese)

New York accents are also seen as silly and used a LOT by comic characters in American culture so if thats really how Japanese see Osaka dialect then I would think that the reason Southern became the standard for localizing it instead of Brooklynese is because our Anime/ Japanese localization industry was centered on Dallas for the 90s and early 2000s more than lack of a good fit

BIG FLUFFY DOG has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Apr 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So's a delivery van comes along while I'm in the middle of the street and I says Eyyyy, I'm WALKING here! Anyways, Satou, pass the cooked level ten slime.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 03:51 on Apr 8, 2024