Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Volte posted:

My unfounded guess is that Tim Sweeney thinks that they dilute the Unreal brand and memory-holing them will somehow help Unreal Engine's prospects outside the video game space

Or it could just some internal poo poo that only makes sense if you know everything there is to know about what goes on inside Epic
It's his big "gently caress you" to Cliffy B for shoving him into a locker once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Volte posted:

I got the DVD version :smug:

gently caress! I was stuck just manually downloading all the Editor's Choice stuff like a pleb for years any time I reinstalled the game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I’m sorry but I regard my time spent installing games from six discs as a fond memory, a romance of what once was. Yeah it’s easier now but sitting and waiting and reading the manual has its own charms.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Some stuff in ut2k4 holds up really well, the basic movement and weapon feel is pretty universally great, the maps are a mixed bag but often solid, but a lot of the single player and bot stuff is weak. The team management stuff is very dumb and not fun, and I think bots (I forget if online voice commands are a thing) have a tendency to yell dumb poo poo like "eat it bitch" all the time.

I played through all of 99 campaign on I think inhuman difficulty but the second I reached the actual teamplay portions of 2k4, I had to stop because the teammates were so loving stupid. Just completely ignored orders while also being very bad at it. I'm pretty sure it was CTF that was the problem, easily my least favorite game format though

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Arivia posted:

I’m sorry but I regard my time spent installing games from six discs as a fond memory, a romance of what once was. Yeah it’s easier now but sitting and waiting and reading the manual has its own charms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0qwtS0z3Pk

I love that they kept these for the remasters :)

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

tim sweeny is a sack of garbage and if we cross paths im going to stuff him headfirst in a trash bin and kick it down the stairs

this means you, tim! Fucker!!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I'm probably just going to keep being annoying and passive-aggressive about it on the internet. Seems easier.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Arivia posted:

The good news is that modern console games take loving ages to install now so you can read that... Slip of paper that's in the PS5 game case. Oh.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Mr. Sharps posted:

tim sweeny is a sack of garbage and if we cross paths im going to stuff him headfirst in a trash bin and kick it down the stairs

this means you, tim! Fucker!!

lol when I first posted this I felt a bit mean, but as the years pass I feel less and less so.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Just started watching the UNREAL ENGINE 5 preview video, and oh my god Tim Sweeney is so awkward on a stage / in front of a camera; a man designed by God for sitting at the Computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZLibi6s_ew&t=28s

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Deakul posted:

Kids these days will never know the agony of installing games that came on 6+ discs.

I guess that you didn't know that you could just copy all 6 CDs to the HDD in a single folder then burn that to a DVD and it would install perfectly? It had no burning protection at all so it was easy to make a single disc inataller

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

The good news is that modern console games take loving ages to install now so you can read that... Slip of paper that's in the PS5 game case. Oh.

It’s even better when you get disc that just acts as a key to play the game and it downloads the entire thing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

just look at your phone or something

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Quantum of Phallus posted:

just look at your phone or something

Encouraging self-harm isn't allowed anymore

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Phones suck

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Some stuff in ut2k4 holds up really well, the basic movement and weapon feel is pretty universally great, the maps are a mixed bag but often solid, but a lot of the single player and bot stuff is weak. The team management stuff is very dumb and not fun, and I think bots (I forget if online voice commands are a thing) have a tendency to yell dumb poo poo like "eat it bitch" all the time.

Try turning the safety off. :smug:

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Fil5000 posted:

:argh: we hosed up worst when nintendo stopped doing them, and they always had nice color printing and original concept art

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

My thoughts on Minerva: It wasn't that great, and often quite aggravating. I get wanting to make a Half-Life 2 mod with heavy emphasis on combat. Problem is, combat isn't the best part of Half-Life. Even with MMod I was struggling. The puzzles were often obtuse or obscured by the level design and poor lighting. Valve puzzles are great about giving you subtle hints. Minerva puzzles don't give you that much, probably to stymie players enough so they see more brilliant writing from Dollar Store Durandal giving a hint.

Yeah, I think I've had enough Half-Life. Don't even wake me up when HL3 gets released.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Deakul posted:

Kids these days will never know the agony of installing games that came on 6+ discs.

The true nadir is games that came on a huge stack of discs and required you to constantly switch between them while playing, like Riven. Thank god that later got a DVD release.

Honourable mention to FF7PC, which came on three discs and required minimal disc swapping to play but, for reasons which remain obscure to me, also took two and a half days to install.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Seven disks. FF7 for the PC took seven disks, I still vividly remember the cd sleeve.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Was gonna say it's funny that everyone remembers Riven as being excessive at 5 discs except that was actually a median number.

Also the game was designed relatively well enough that disc swaps weren't arbitrary, each one corresponded to a particular location or locations. And it was cool cuz 5 was a significant number in the game anyway.

I think Ripper was also something like 7-8 discs?

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
"Seven discs! The game came on seven discs!"

"In a row?"

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Serephina posted:

Seven disks. FF7 for the PC took seven disks, I still vividly remember the cd sleeve.

I don't think you do because ToxicFrog is right. FF7 PC only had four discs (three data discs, as the PS1 version did, plus one install disc).

Similarly, FF8 PC had five; one more than its PS1 counterpart.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 7, 2024

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I remember the Ross's Game Dungeon review of irreverent godawful adventure game Armed and Delirious talking about how, even if you did everything correct the first time and didn't do any unnecessary backtracking or confused wandering, the game required like 26 disc swaps.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

I don't think you do because ToxicFrog is right. FF7 PC only had four discs (three data discs, as the PS1 version did, plus one install disc).

Yeah FF7 definitely had 4 discs for the PC version

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah FF7 definitely had 4 discs for the PC version

Didn't the PS version have the entire game on each disc, and it only needed 3 to contain the different FMVs at various points in the story?

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I remember the Ross's Game Dungeon review of irreverent godawful adventure game Armed and Delirious talking about how, even if you did everything correct the first time and didn't do any unnecessary backtracking or confused wandering, the game required like 26 disc swaps.

Yeah and it was according to the walkthrough made by the game's lead tester, which was the only resource on completing the game anywhere on the internet.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mak0rz posted:

Maybe it was only five? They came in a 3-way folding brouchure in order to fit them all. Found someone who took a pic, but not unfolded:

but I'm still fairly confident it was more than 3 cds.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Serephina posted:

Maybe it was only five? They came in a 3-way folding brouchure in order to fit them all. Found someone who took a pic, but not unfolded:

but I'm still fairly confident it was more than 3 cds.

It was! It was four!

Edit: the trifold had the install disc and disc 1 on the left, discs 2 and 3 on the right, and a sleeve holding the manual in the center.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 7, 2024

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My copy had 8 discs but I can't take a picture because my girlfriend took it back with her to Canada. Hopefully next summer you can meet her.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I bought FF7 on Steam and it didn't come with any discs? Please advise

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017

Serephina posted:

Maybe it was only five?

It was definitely more than three but definitely less than five. I'm not sure the exact number

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Trip Hazard posted:

It was definitely more than three but definitely less than five. I'm not sure the exact number

Threeve?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think HL2 came out on like 7 CDs in America

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I think HL2 came out on like 7 CDs in America
There were two retail releases back in 2004: The standard edition, which came on five CDs and included HL2 and CS Source, and the special edition, which came on one DVD and threw in HL1 Source, a t-shirt and a manual-sized sampler of the strategy guide and art book.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Is there a way to play Marathon 1 with Marathon 2's graphics & sprites?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Volte posted:

My unfounded guess is that Tim Sweeney thinks that they dilute the Unreal brand and memory-holing them will somehow help Unreal Engine's prospects outside the video game space

Unfounded guess or otherwise, this is also how I read it. From an entirely soulless business perspective, I think you can see how an ultra-violent, bloody (puerile?) shooter from the 90’s doesn’t fit into how the modern Epic operate or view themselves as a business.

My fantasy draft take is that there’s an effort to remaster them, either internally or shipping the IP to Night Dive. As I say.. fantasy stuff.. but I don’t see how a company like Epic that wants all of the money looks at what’s happening across the industry with other classic 90’s IP and decides the best thing to do with Unreal is to erase it..

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Weirdest thing for me is that the original games have dated, for the most part, really well. Maybe Tim doesn't like the fact that the original engine still stands up with custom renderers and the decades of cool mods makes DLC in modern games look stingy and overpriced

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Maybe it’s just a licensing thing :shrug:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

John Murdoch posted:

Also the game was designed relatively well enough that disc swaps weren't arbitrary, each one corresponded to a particular location or locations.
Sure, but since Riven doesn't really have fast travel (there sort of is for the last third of the game but I don't think that significantly improves the situation) you still have to frequently swap disks just to transit between islands to get to where you want to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Doctor Bishop posted:

"Seven discs! The game came on seven discs!"

"In a row?"

lol