Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SerthVarnee posted:

This bit reminded me of the difference between pilot training on the Enterprise and the Hornet.

If you hosed up a flight on the Enterprise, your punishment was extra flight hours until you got it right and could be relied upon to do it right.
If you hosed up a flight on the Hornet, your punishment was to be allotted LESS flight hours, presumably to teach you a lesson about not loving up under pressure.

For some reason, the Hornet did a piss poor job during the battle of Midway and that reason lies squarely on the shoulders of the air commander, Stanhope Ring.

I really wish I had been really big into history while my grandpa was alive because he would’ve had opinions on this. He’d always talk about people.

He had died before I truly understood the insanity it must’ve been to be on the Lexington after graduating from academy in December of 1941, then the Yorktown and then the Hornet.

(My mom said all he’d say about that, in her presence at least, is that he “never got wet”)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

A.o.D. posted:

Exact quote, just de twitterfied for non account havers.

yield?

what's yield, precious?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

honestly i'm surprised he hasn't recommended some kind of submarine-based replacement

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

facialimpediment posted:

WTYP covered that dumbass Elon tweet at this point in their latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4q7K2rfG3w&t=4586s

General recap: 99% of that steel is now trash for many reasons, the next bridge will probably be a cable stay bridge that doesn't need that poo poo anyways, these big construction projects already get awarded with an early completion incentive bonus, and Elon's a fucknut

How many times did the weird lady laugh about people she considers beneath her dying?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ded posted:

just melt it all down and reforge it! 0% loss!!!!!!!!!!

i am very smart

I imagine it will get recycled; and the specifics are probably pretty interesting[1] (as would be the specifics for creating the replacement and arranging timely supplies of nice and fresh steel of appropriate spec for it.)

[1] Like imagine what's involved in recycling a scrapped battleship? Must be pretty cool.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

OddObserver posted:

I imagine it will get recycled; and the specifics are probably pretty interesting[1] (as would be the specifics for creating the replacement and arranging timely supplies of nice and fresh steel of appropriate spec for it.)

[1] Like imagine what's involved in recycling a scrapped battleship? Must be pretty cool.

Most shipbreaking is done by starving people in horrible, deadly conditions :sun:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alang_Ship_Breaking_Yard

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

OddObserver posted:

You cut it up into little pieces and feed them into a furnace at the steel plant. Most steel used in the US is recycled.

PSNS has a big saw they use to section up submarines which is pretty fun to watch.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Elviscat posted:

You cut it up into little pieces and feed them into a furnace at the steel plant. Most steel used in the US is recycled.

PSNS has a big saw they use to section up submarines which is pretty fun to watch.

sometimes salvage dudes bring out the big portaband too

https://jalopnik.com/a-chain-just-cut-through-a-capsized-cargo-ship-filled-w-1845784581

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Elviscat posted:

The furnace is loving awesome but I've only seen it while powered down.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

How many times did the weird lady laugh about people she considers beneath her dying?

As ever, reading wikipedia will take a tenth of the time and have twice the information of your average wtyp.

With 100% less annoying fuckwits.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Yeah that was pretty wild to discover that the best method for cutting apart that ship was a Giant loving Chain that can somehow operate as a Giant loving Saw. News reports right now have shown the bridge being cut apart by plasma torches and the like, but the underwater work has to be real, real rough.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I think everything underwater has to be divers, probably with umbilicals for air and heat, and yeah, imagine cutting pieces of bridge apart that could fall on you, or spring, or get tangled in your umbilicals.....

That's a rough job right there.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah that was pretty wild to discover that the best method for cutting apart that ship was a Giant loving Chain that can somehow operate as a Giant loving Saw. News reports right now have shown the bridge being cut apart by plasma torches and the like, but the underwater work has to be real, real rough.

ever used a cheese slice? it's basically the same principle, only instead of using downward force you're applying a sawing action

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

honestly i'm surprised he hasn't recommended some kind of submarine-based replacement

Musk, some time in the near future posted:

The boring company proposes a tunnel 4" wider than a car drilled through the ocean. We then evacuate 80% of the air pressure to reduce drag and replace what's left with pure oxygen so people don't asphyxiate. It's not rocket science, people, which I am also very good at, honest.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Pure oxygen atmosphere. With cars. I can see him getting pissy when people say no already.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ded posted:

just melt it all down and reforge it! 0% loss!!!!!!!!!!

i am very smart

This is more intelligent than what musk is actually proposing.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Elviscat posted:

I think everything underwater has to be divers, probably with umbilicals for air and heat, and yeah, imagine cutting pieces of bridge apart that could fall on you, or spring, or get tangled in your umbilicals.....

That's a rough job right there.

The guys that do the true deep-sea stuff end up with weird issues surrounding their hip bones, iirc. Mechanism was poorly understood last i looked, but thought to be something related to the weird things that happen from breathing gas under that level of pressure. It’s not what we’re breathing at the surface now, the actual-deep water mix has to be something with a lower percentage of O2 and a touch of helium added. “Trimix” is the name, my old shop could make the stuff but you had to pay like $80 per normal scuba cylinder and sign a mountain of waivers.

I got to see a little bit of the commercial gear when I was a divemaster, it was pretty wild! You’d likely have a helmet from these guys if you’re doing any of that.

https://www.kirbymorgan.com/products/helmets

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I don't have any deep insights to add but, pressure changes all chemistry and equlibrium points. Add to that how Oxygen is a bit, uh, insane, compared to other elements in most situations. And so high pressures will push unnatural amounts of it into your blood cells, turning it from performance enhancing doping into toxin. And the combined one weird trick to fight both that and the bends is to displace it with both less massive inert gasses and reduce the total amount of it in the blended air.
Naturally trimix stuff would (might?) suffocate you at sea level.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_toxicity

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

A recent example:

Musk stated that the Francis Scott Key bridge could be rebuilt within months by reusing the steel from the collapsed bridge. That was a "Tell me you know nothing about engineering without telling me you know nothing about engineering" moment. Almost every time he opines about a subject, to include things that he should specifically know about, like financial systems, electric cars, or space rockets, he consistently falls on his face except in the instances when he's been coached to give a prepared speech on the topic and sticks to the script.

That's a reasonable summation.

Sorry I just flipped my loving desk

Thats not how metal fatigue works you loving idiot

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Well you see when we made a toothpick bridge in 7th grade, I was able to repair it by just gluing some new toothpicks on it. Basically the same thing.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

And also, just piping in here to say underwater inspecting is hilariously dangerous. I was once told that their velocity limits were typically 1 ft/s and the tidal area of the Patapsco is 100% not that.

e: Add in cranes, hooks, and torches? If someone doesn't get killed in this process it'll be a miracle.

e2: You can't build a cofferdam around this.

e3:

facialimpediment posted:

WTYP covered that dumbass Elon tweet at this point in their latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4q7K2rfG3w&t=4586s

General recap: 99% of that steel is now trash for many reasons, the next bridge will probably be a cable stay bridge that doesn't need that poo poo anyways, these big construction projects already get awarded with an early completion incentive bonus, and Elon's a fucknut

Can almost guarantee that the replacement will be cable stay.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 7, 2024

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I don't have any deep insights to add but, pressure changes all chemistry and equlibrium points. Add to that how Oxygen is a bit, uh, insane, compared to other elements in most situations. And so high pressures will push unnatural amounts of it into your blood cells, turning it from performance enhancing doping into toxin. And the combined one weird trick to fight both that and the bends is to displace it with both less massive inert gasses and reduce the total amount of it in the blended air.

My org had a diver a while back who had a rebreather failure at around 100ft. It started giving him pure O2 at that depth, when the normal max depth for breathing pure O2 is like 15ft. So he (accidentally) did his absolute best to sail off into the O2 exposure sunset, and there was nothing to stop him from doing exactly that.

2 things went hilariously right for him:
He clamped down on his reg instead of spitting it out
The pure O2 had absolutely crashed any nitrogen out of his system, so when his buddy lost control of him while trying to ascend him (ascending someone having a seizure sounds like about the worst thing possible), dude didn’t have any nitrogen left in him to give him any flavor of decompression illness.

Our dive safety officer said the guy was expected to make a full recovery. Root cause was determined to be a gear anomaly, not diver error. That model of Hollis rebreather has 3 O2 sensors in the loop; if one fails, the thing gives you a warning and you’re supposed to abort dive/head home. The 2 remaining sensors override the 3rd bad one, and you get to come home without trying to take your one free breath of water that everyone is entitled to.

Poor bastard had a double failure of those sensors, and the 2 bad ones overrode the still-functioning one. This was scientific diving, which gets to be its own weird subset in the diving world (broadly broken up into recreational, scientific, and commercial). The same constraints apply across all 3 types (the ocean doesn’t give a sloppy wet gently caress about what you’re doing, it’s just as mad all the same).

I’m guessing there will be every sort of survey done in the former bridge area, but a channel like that with unknown/invisible hazards sounds uniquely terrible. Dive surveys are probably dead last on the list after every kind of sonar and magnetometric survey, but I’d bet it’s still on the list.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Hypoxic Trimix will suffocate you at shallow depths, if your ppO2 is below 18% at sea level (any mix you'd breathe below 270', roughly). Normoxic Trimix is 21%, and same depth limit (190') as just O2/N2, same oxygen concentration as sea level, but with less risk of the bends.

Basically, as you go deeper you replace N2 with helium, then you replace O2, in order to reduce the chances of oxygen toxicity.

Technical diving is scary as gently caress to think about, if your gas mix is not correct, you're dead and there's nothing anyone can do to save you, basically.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 7, 2024

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Getting exotics rated was some of the most stressful diving I've ever done (except for cave diving. gently caress cave diving).

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Cave diving seems a great way to turn money into a very unique coffin

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Pfft, look at Mr MoneyBags here with his fancy recovered body that didn’t become a landmark and a warning all at once :rolleyes:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
But they didn't recover the body that's why the coffin is unique lol

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

orange juche posted:

Hypoxic Trimix will suffocate you at shallow depths, if your ppO2 is below 18% at sea level (any mix you'd breathe below 270', roughly). Normoxic Trimix is 21%, and same depth limit (190') as just O2/N2, same oxygen concentration as sea level, but with less risk of the bends.

Basically, as you go deeper you replace N2 with helium, then you replace O2, in order to reduce the chances of oxygen toxicity.

Technical diving is scary as gently caress to think about, if your gas mix is not correct, you're dead and there's nothing anyone can do to save you, basically.

I had an instructor tell me that the best way to have safe gas switches is to analyze the bottles religiously and label before the dive, both what the blend is and what the Maximum Operating Depth is. Then while on the dive before doing any switches, to check the label, verify your depth, have your buddy check the label and confirm you're good, then do the switch. drat I gotta finish up my Tech training, but did a move and need to find a good instructor out here.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Sometimes I think "I'm not claustrophobic" then I remember cave diving exists.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
My cousin leads geologists in cave dives in cenotes in the Yucatan Peninsula. I was an Army Combat Diver, I went diving with him once...once.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Elviscat posted:

I'm not claustrophobic at all (a little claustrophilic if anything), but add underwater and complete lack of orientation, and that is fuck_that.txt.

Or,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXVohhNenGo

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I worked with saturation divers once, I will never do anything approaching that. gently caress that.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
gently caress diving in caves. Literal nightmare fuel.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Bored As gently caress posted:

gently caress diving in caves. Literal nightmare fuel.

:hmmyes:

gently caress the ocean
gently caress caves
and for sure gently caress ocean caves

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I feel like cave diving is why god made remotely operated vehicles.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Eason the Fifth posted:

:hmmyes:

gently caress the ocean
gently caress caves
and for sure gently caress ocean caves

Matey, they don't even let me gently caress the ocean caves. :yarr:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I like the ocean and I respect the ocean and i know how to swim, and that's why I don't like swimming there

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I like the ocean and I respect the ocean and i know how to swim, and that's why I don't like swimming there

:emptyquote:

I wanna get my scuba cert knocked out at some point for basic rear end rec diving, but anything beyond that, no thank you. And honestly I don't even know if I'll be able to thanks to sinus issues.

I think the only exception I have to nothing beyond basic rec diving is that I'd like to go on one of those dive tours of the sunken Imperial German fleet at Scapa Flow at some point.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Do not the cave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah that was pretty wild to discover that the best method for cutting apart that ship was a Giant loving Chain that can somehow operate as a Giant loving Saw.

This begs the question "Why do starships in 40K not also have chainswords, perhaps on those big dumb tumblehome bows they are so insistent on using???"

(I blame the Adeptus unwillingness to innovate)