Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i hate to agree but i do.

cover up even with tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Triskelli posted:

I'm just getting into killteam after bouncing off an ork army maybe seven years ago, and I've gotta say that I love the alternate activations over how 40k does it.

IGO-UGO is a plague, and I honestly can't believe GW is still sticking with. Both Mantic and OPR use alternating activation and it's so much better in every possible way.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oh for the love of god, here you go nerds

You can tell me how much I suck poo poo all you want, but you don't need to make up imaginary scenarios.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I'm not going to lie, that picture makes your Russ look incredibly exposed for something that didn't seem to have the ability to shoot much T1.

Like, it looks like he walked his stuff forwards and got a nice line of sight on you.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Why are you so bad at Space Barbies.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lostconfused posted:

Oh for the love of god, here you go nerds

You can tell me how much I suck poo poo all you want, but you don't need to make up imaginary scenarios.

relax dude, stop getting mad all the time. what the hell did you want people to say when you came in all complaints ablazing

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

relax dude, stop getting mad all the time. what the hell did you want people to say when you came in all complaints ablazing

You should probably take your own advice here to be honest, you seem to get real mad at my posts for some reason. This is in the first you're doing this, so if you have a problem with me then tell me what it is, or just ignore me.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 5, 2024

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

You came in here and said "hey I made a really elementary mistake at playing this game", people responded, "well that's not good, have you considered not making that elementary mistake", and you immediately got huffy and responded with "well actually I think I should be able to make this elementary mistake and not lose".

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
poo poo does happen, and dice also happen too, in addition to putting the Russ out there at the intersection of two major lanes of fire just begging to get spanked like it did.

None of that is wrong but all of it could be attenuated by accepting the monumental new technological innovations that have taken place since, like, the '90s when people figured out I-go-you-go sucks as a game system and developed many, many other alternatives.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
It's very unlikely a Redemptor kills a Russ in one turn of shooting, even with Oaths of Moment!
to have that Russ blow up and roll max damage on 3 other units is also really unlikely! These things happen who cares

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
its ok to make mistakes.

own it and move along. best teacher in the universe.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Nah you should change armies after losing a game.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

And I'm ok with that, but then a few people decided to come in with "git gud" and yeah they're right I could turtle up more, but I'm not playing a competitive game here or trying to win at all costs.

Tangy Zizzle posted:

and roll max damage on 3 other units is also really unlikely!

This part I did make a mistake on, I forgot you rolled for units separately.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Yeast posted:

Nah you should change armies after losing a game.

I mean, none of those thoughts are related to getting dice checked turn one. It might be a real good idea to reflect on whether you actually want to play a horde-style army or if you want something more elite and streamlined.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Impossibly good white and orange like wtf

Thanks! I primed her black like an idiot so it took so many layers but I got there in the end.

Z the IVth posted:

Can I say how much this looks like FF9 by Kingdom Death?

Excellent paint btw.

Okay, they made Dagger slightly more... curvaceous, but I feel like that comparison is harsh :colbert:

thanks

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Warmachine posted:

I mean, none of those thoughts are related to getting dice checked turn one. It might be a real good idea to reflect on whether you actually want to play a horde-style army or if you want something more elite and streamlined.

I certainly think as a learning experience a horde army is rough, but I wouldn't know what else to pick. I think Orks are cool, but that is also a horde army, one that is more manegable cause you roll the same weapon profile in melee so it's more engaging for both players, but it's still horde.

This is the disconnect between the hobby and gameplay experience at work here. I like one, but not really the other.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Ignoring the previous kerfuffle, I'm starting to wonder if imperial guard are the right army for me, to play anyway.

What army were you playing against, if I may ask?

Personally, IG are always a bit of a nightmare for my DG and WE. No matter how much infantry I kill they always have more and keep dropping reinforcements up the board, their tanks and artillery keep bleeding you if you don't focus them super early abd if you do that you're lagging on objectives.

That said, not meshing with an army's style is very much a thing. A friend once lent me his custodes at the club and it felt...wrong.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

You should probably take your own advice here to be honest, you seem to get real mad at my posts for some reason. This is in the first you're doing this, so if you have a problem with me then tell me what it is, or just ignore me.

I don't think it is just limited to you, I have noticed that poster being pretty snippy or rude multiple times in the past.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Sephyr posted:

What army were you playing against, if I may ask?
It was ironstorm marines/astartes, but it was only 1000 points so I didn't have enough indirect fire artillery to make that much of a difference I feel. Then again it seemed like most of my shooting bounced of anyway.

And not like I said guard were bad, just this is my third game with them and all of them have felt kind of rough win or lose. I might have mentioned it before but wacky dice rolls aren't a new thing for me either, with my psyker instagibing herself on the very first turn in my first game.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
FWIW I play Land Raider Redeemers constantly and even with a 2+, 16 W, 12T, cover, and armour of contempt in good positioning, I've had them knocked down nearly to death in T1 from a Guard player who played aggressively.

The slapback wiped him out, but if a few less dice had gone my way, I probably would have been SOL. The game is like that sometimes. I've found that 10th edition shooting is incredibly lethal across the board and working on my skills surrounding terrain has really upped my game. I picked up some of those acrylic mats to practice deployment at home before RTTs (they usually post the missions ahead of time) and this has also helped me approach games with a little more confidence because most deployment should be more about your game plan than being reactive.

I've also really liked learning and playing the different GW terrain tournament formats; they are pretty balanced (gently caress Hammer & Anvil on Terrain 2 tho) and it has been cool to learn the ins and outs of a standardized thing for a game that has so much variability.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Ignoring the previous kerfuffle, I'm starting to wonder if imperial guard are the right army for me, to play anyway.

There's just some things that I don't like about their game design style. Like having several different special weapon profiles per squad, which you can't fast role, and you have to keep doing the back and forth on saving rolls, slowing things down a ton. Plus the regular weapons being so pathetic that a lot of the time I don't even want to spend time rolling because it's a lot of extra time rolling dice pointlessly. Maybe fishing for 6s just doesn't appeal to me.

"Well just go play the objectives then" you say, but at that point it feels like you're playing a different game from the other person. Maybe it's my imagination but for most casual games people want to kind of move their plastic toys closer together and have them fight it out with the results swinging back and forth.

I don't have a problem with losing, I certainly don't have fun from just winning either, I think I mainly want an enjoyable and maybe exciting game.

I started Guard in 10th as a result of doing a Christmas Combat Patrol swap with two friends who really wanted to play against Guard and ended up buying me about 75% of a 2000 point army.

The squad profile is not a big deal. Give the sarge the autogun, it’s the same as a lasgun aside from getting two shots all the time. Then you have two special weapons, and you’re done. Unless you give orders, they’re gonna miss half the time so that further cuts down on rolls. Most importantly: ALWAYS RESOVE YOUR LASGUNS. Getting even a single wound through demoralizes your opponent and proves your faith in the Emprah!

Hurling bodies at objectives while blasting things with artillery and tanks is a good time, no doubt. I have lost far more games with Guard than my main army, CSM, but they’re kinda more fun.

Being a mostly 4+ army for shooting, means any individual salvo can wildly swing one way or another. But when your Leman Russ Demolisher spikes its number of shots and hit rolls, it’s so fun.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

It was ironstorm marines/astartes, but it was only 1000 points so I didn't have enough indirect fire artillery to make that much of a difference I feel. Then again it seemed like most of my shooting bounced of anyway.

And not like I said guard were bad, just this is my third game with them and all of them have felt kind of rough win or lose. I might have mentioned it before but wacky dice rolls aren't a new thing for me either, with my psyker instagibing herself on the very first turn in my first game.

Reading over your posts, and also playing guard (and also being new) I have a couple thoughts.

1. You definitely left your rear end hanging in the wind. Sorry. There is no sugar coating it. I've done this too. I'm used to playing aggressively in alternating activation games. I consistently leave stuff exposed because I'm used to a faster paced game where I need to worry about the next unit/piece my opponent will likely move next, not all possible moves all their units could do.

2. Consider more tanks, I think it is less competitive, but is way fun and is a significantly lower mental load. Less dice too! More tanks, more fun!

3. People aren't really out to get you in this forum. I've had a couple folks in here that I thought were going after me specifically when I started posting in TG. Watching their posts and interactions with others I realized they treat almost everyone that way. It isn't personal. Tone is also hard online. (For others reading this that aren't Lostconfused, consider that if you go hard on everyone that needs to vent or whatever it doesn't actually create a super welcoming vibe. Just my experience/opinion.)

4. Lastly, be really direct with the people you are playing with about the fact that you are new and would like a very friendly game. Most of the time people are happy to help, and will honestly warn you if you are making big mistakes. This doesn't always work, the guy who ran my intro game tried to table me as fast as possible. Not everyone is into friendly games, some want a really competitive match, just don't play with them. It isn't worth it. I used to play in the 90s, if I'm being honest, I'm definitely trying to recapture some of the magic of playing 40k with friends all weekend. Back then we just mashed soldiers into each other and talked about all the cool moments that happened. Who won was totally immaterial. I still like that, as do others, and it is still something the game can make happen, especially with guard. However, that experience is no longer the focus of the game, nor is it the focus for most of the player base (at least in my area). Competitive play is the default, so people will try their best to beat you, and put serious thought into how to do that. It is up to you to make sure your opponent is aware of the type of experience you want to have.

tl:dr Get more tanks and request a friendly game

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 6, 2024

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Honestly I like the Play On philosophy of dice telling stories- in this case, the Emperor shone upon his transhuman sons against the traitorous/ heretical Guard unit!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well if faith in the emperor is a requisite then I'm boned. However this still leaves undecided between working on the two boxes of plastic krieg or finally putting the sponsons on the rogal dorn.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Dead Guard are good Guard; they gave their lives in service!

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I think you will find that history will judge the moral victory to be yours.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
rolling flashlights (lasguns) against knights or terminators is always a hoot for me, especially when your opponent doesn't really consider them a threat. Whittling 10 or so wounds off of a big model when you shoot two or three squads of lasguns at it is magic. Plus with some strats and unit abilities you can make those lasguns AP -2..

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Stacking 2 overlapping fields of fire stratagems for -2 AP is very gamey, I'm not in favour.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
one strat and a leman russ exterminator :actually:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Has games workshop considered limiting ability to modify armor penetration to +/-1 , since they limited the ability on that unit, and armor save rolls themselves are limited to +/-1

The rules they have right now seem to be stapled together without fitting as well as they should.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Stacking AP bonuses is quite rare. It's not a problem.

I honestly don't see the problem with using a strat and a executioner at the same target to stack AP. Seems... fine? It's a lot of resources being used to buff lasguns against a single target.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah I think that is fine, it's only the caveat of not being able to stack executioner with another executioner that leads to the question of well how much is too much?

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
add a hellhound in and your victim doesn't even get cover :)

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah I think that is fine, it's only the caveat of not being able to stack executioner with another executioner that leads to the question of well how much is too much?

Don't worry: "The same enemy unit can only be affected by this ability once per phase" is a rule that's on the Executioner's datasheet.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
It is insane how quickly the Kill Team Nightmare box sold out. I couldn't grab one anywhere even 5 minutes after it was posted :(

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How hard is it to print off decals? Trying to get some blood ravens icons but all the stuff I can find will take weeks to ship or make (in the US)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I've done it, they sell waterslide deal paper for both inkjet and laser printers. They tend to be less durable, and I had to do some minor painting to blend the edges in, but it worked out fine.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Man drove 30 minutes away to my GW store and they didn't have the Terminators yet. Dude promised one for both myself and my 5 year old though so hopefully I can snag that next week. Also thinking of trying to grab a Nightmare box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024

Professor Shark posted:

Honestly I like the Play On philosophy of dice telling stories- in this case, the Emperor shone upon his transhuman sons against the traitorous/ heretical Guard unit!

That's my favorite way to play tbh. Adding a little bit of narrative roll-playing with the dice rolls really adds depth and flavor to all of the number crunching.