Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The question is how will the court respond? Because they they just wag their finger and say “submit a new bond within 10 days” then this is unambiguously a win for Trump: he’ll have scammed himself and extra month to get things in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
One question I have is whether Trump could get more of a bond later *anyway*.

Like, ok, he doesn't file a sufficient bond by deadline, the AG can start selling assets. But that will take time. If he shows up the day of the auction with a sufficient bond, can he file it late and will that stop the sale?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

fool of sound posted:

The question is how will the court respond? Because they they just wag their finger and say “submit a new bond within 10 days” then this is unambiguously a win for Trump: he’ll have scammed himself and extra month to get things in order.

Well, for one thing, has the judgement amount stopped accruing interest during this time? I'm not sure, but if it hasn't, then he's still very much facing financial penalties for loving around.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

fool of sound posted:

You better stop, or I'm going to tell you to stop again. You better watch it mister, because I mean it! I'll tell you to stop again! Believe me!

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

Well, for one thing, has the judgement amount stopped accruing interest during this time? I'm not sure, but if it hasn't, then he's still very much facing financial penalties for loving around.

The interest doesn't stop, no.

Cimber posted:

You better stop, or I'm going to tell you to stop again. You better watch it mister, because I mean it! I'll tell you to stop again! Believe me!

Maybe he's just trying to commit so much fraud that they can't collect judgement until after the elections.

Unfortunately for him chances are they'll just start seizing his poo poo.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
There's a pretty good chance he's doing this because of a lifetime of being consistently proven right about the idea that you can fraud your way out of fraud

Caros
May 14, 2008

So the newest shot across the bow in Georgia is a bit funny.

https://twitter.com/hw_floyd/status/1776060884546113790?t=-pcV9AihY0pBAyFBUiBixA&s=19

Basically Floyd is making a weird 'resign or I charge you' blackmail argument based on the fact that Willis recorded a conversation with Floyd's lawyer who works in Maryland. Maryland is two part consent, while Georgia is not.

Amusingly his lawyers don't seem to have googled much because nearly this exact issue was brought up recently in a civil case regarding notorious Donkey Kong cheat Billy Mitchell. There his former friend recorded a call from Ohio to Florida (one party to two party) and it was thrown out for lack of personal jurisdiction. That is, Florida doesn't have enough connection to Race simply because of a phone call to have him be subject to their laws.

It'll be an amusing diversion if they try it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... wait, doesn't that constitute blackmail and/or bribery?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Randalor posted:

... wait, doesn't that constitute blackmail and/or bribery?

Pretty sure it doesn't count as blackmail if you do it publicly.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Caros posted:

i this exact issue was brought up recently in a civil case regarding notorious Donkey Kong cheat Billy Mitchell

I didn’t think I’d be reading about Billy Mitchell here but where better?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I honestly thought it was firmly established case law for ages that call recording consent is covered by state law for where the person doing the recording resides

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Goatse James Bond posted:

I honestly thought it was firmly established case law for ages that call recording consent is covered by state law for where the person doing the recording resides

I believe this is why Crank Yankers recorded all their calls in Nevada

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Weird that it wouldn't be covered by both sides or at least the side of the person being recorded as they would be the victim for the cases where it is actually a crime.

Would be a lot easier to prosecute that way though I guess.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

May.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Because of basically all modern phone infrastructure calls are routed over state lines so it's technically a federal issue.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

fool of sound posted:

They will respond exactly like they have for every single deadline before.

So far we have:
Oh 7 days was too short? We can lower your bond 300 million and give you 10 more days.
Oh you filed fraudulent paperwork for your lowered bond? That's okay we'll talk about it in 17 days and figure it out then.

Guess what's going to happen?
Oh you refiled bond paperwork at the last minute? Very good sir, we'll take some time to look at this and reconvene about it next month.

This is predicable as the sunrise. Anyone thinking he'll have any trouble coming up with that money in this extended period of time is on crack. He has loads of rich assholes just waiting to buy him.

aventari fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 7, 2024

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

aventari posted:

(doomering)

This is predicable as the sunrise. Anyone thinking he'll have any trouble coming up with that money in this extended period of time is on crack. He has loads of rich assholes just waiting to buy him.

Were that the case, they would have produced a $475mm bond straightaway, not dicked around and gotten Brassknucks Discount Repo Inc. in California to crap out a (60% reduced) funnymoney sheet to (checks notes) a court with no sense of humour and rapidly diminishing patience.

- or -

haveblue posted:

Two different frauds were uncovered in the process of paying the bond for his fraud trial, which is a real accomplishment

Thus restoring his entirely appropriate moniker as "the Shéhérazade of Crime"

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Caros posted:

So the newest shot across the bow in Georgia is a bit funny.

https://twitter.com/hw_floyd/status/1776060884546113790?t=-pcV9AihY0pBAyFBUiBixA&s=19

Basically Floyd is making a weird 'resign or I charge you' blackmail argument based on the fact that Willis recorded a conversation with Floyd's lawyer who works in Maryland. Maryland is two part consent, while Georgia is not.

Amusingly his lawyers don't seem to have googled much because nearly this exact issue was brought up recently in a civil case regarding notorious Donkey Kong cheat Billy Mitchell. There his former friend recorded a call from Ohio to Florida (one party to two party) and it was thrown out for lack of personal jurisdiction. That is, Florida doesn't have enough connection to Race simply because of a phone call to have him be subject to their laws.

It'll be an amusing diversion if they try it.

Except that per the Maryland wiretapping act her position entitles her to record any conversation that could be considered part of her official duties

da LAW posted:

(4) (i) It is lawful under this subtitle for a law enforcement officer in the course of the officer's regular duty to intercept an oral communication if:

2. The law enforcement officer is a party to the oral communication;

"Investigative or law enforcement officer" means any officer of this State or a political subdivision of this State, who is empowered by law to conduct investigations of or to make arrests for offenses enumerated in this subtitle, any sworn law enforcement officer of the federal government or of any other state or a political subdivision of another state, working with and under the direction of an investigative or law enforcement officer of this State or a political subdivision of this State, and any attorney authorized by law to prosecute or participate in the prosecution of such offenses."

Plus even if that didn't apply she almost certainly has sovereign immunity as a officer under Georgia law(Maryland could hardly prosecute a Georgia officer for a wiretap legal in Georgia that a Maryland person they didn't know about calls, even if per the text it wouldn't technically be legal).

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 7, 2024

Caros
May 14, 2008

dr_rat posted:

Pretty sure it doesn't count as blackmail if you do it publicly.

If you do it publicly it would probably be extortion.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Except that per the Maryland wiretapping act her position entitles her to record any conversation that could be considered part of her official duties

Plus even if that didn't apply she almost certainly has sovereign immunity as a officer under Georgia law(Maryland could hardly prosecute a Georgia officer for a wiretap legal in Georgia that a Maryland person they didn't know about calls, even if per the text it wouldn't technically be legal).

You're implying that someone that would ruin their life for Trump isn't that smart? I'm shocked.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Iamgoofball posted:

Because of basically all modern phone infrastructure calls are routed over state lines so it's technically a federal issue.

federal law is one party consent so it doesn't override any states

unless there's a zero party consent state that allows wiretapping for shits and giggles. nevada?

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

PainterofCrap posted:

Were that the case, they would have produced a $475mm bond straightaway, not dicked around and gotten Brassknucks Discount Repo Inc. in California to crap out a (60% reduced) funnymoney sheet to (checks notes) a court with no sense of humour and rapidly diminishing patience.

The point isn't to comply with court orders. The point is to drag out the process and delay, delay, delay. Dicking around is his absolute modus operandi in every legal situation he's been in. And it works. His assets haven't been seized, his bond has been lowered by 60+% and he's been given an extra *month* and counting.

This time the tactic is even more effective as there is a timer on this process and it's up in 7 months.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

aventari posted:

The point isn't to comply with court orders. The point is to drag out the process and delay, delay, delay. Dicking around is his absolute modus operandi in every legal situation he's been in. And it works. His assets haven't been seized, his bond has been lowered by 60+% and he's been given an extra *month* and counting.

This time the tactic is even more effective as there is a timer on this process and it's up in 7 months.

So yeah I don't really buy the bond issue as delaying tactic as sure trump always like to delay, but also if the bond fails his poo poo starts get taking immediately. He wants there to be a bond and bet yet someone else paying for the bond, so he can appeal and obviously win the appeal... somehow, that's a later problem.

Intentionally gently caress up the bond means that possibly there won't be a bond. That's worst case for him. He can maybe draw out an appeal, but his poo poo getting taking right now is the immediate concern.

Like maybe I'm wrong and he'd risk it. And god know's he's probably getting terrible legal advice, but as a way of delaying things, sure it may work for like a week or two, which isn't even that long, but it has a high possiblity of giving him such an immediate bad outcome.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The whole point of the bond is that it delayed getting his poo poo taken until he appeals in September. (Or whenever).

By what possible metric is this a delay?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

The whole point of the bond is that it delayed getting his poo poo taken until he appeals in September. (Or whenever).

By what possible metric is this a delay?

It's delaying enforcement if he can't get a real bond.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

fool of sound posted:

It's delaying enforcement if he can't get a real bond.

Sure. And assuming all the assumptions are correct and this was somehow intentional, he has bought himself a week or two. Instead of just getting the money to delay until September (or whenever).

I don’t think anyone has ever accused me of being an optimist, and I see a significant decline in his ability to wriggle. We’re not talking about actual escape, we’re talking delays on enforcement ; instead of measuring this time in months, it’s being measured in days.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

Sure. And assuming all the assumptions are correct and this was somehow intentional, he has bought himself a week or two. Instead of just getting the money to delay until September (or whenever).

I don’t think anyone has ever accused me of being an optimist, and I see a significant decline in his ability to wriggle. We’re not talking about actual escape, we’re talking delays on enforcement ; instead of measuring this time in months, it’s being measured in days.

It's certainly possible that there actually might be a real actual consequence for him this time but we've seen dozens of supposed deadlines come and go.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

I don’t think anyone has ever accused me of being an optimist, and I see a significant decline in his ability to wriggle.

ah, nevertheless

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Caros posted:

Floyd can swear out a complaint. That’s it. He can’t charge a grapefruit.

There’s no way the Maryland AG decides to bring some halfassed wiretapping charge against a Georgia based DA recording a call as part of her official duties that would immediately get removed to federal court and then almost certainly be dismissed

How can Maryland law apply in GA? It’s doesn’t. If Fani had flown to Maryland to make the call then, maybe, there’s something there but still unlikely because there is probably a presumption that if you are discussing a case with a DA it’s being loving recorded.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Kchama posted:

Unfortunately for him chances are they'll just start seizing his poo poo.

Weren't they supposed to start doing this in NY? Someone in this thread mentioned that the process is quite refined and very quick.

I'm guessing they haven't taken poo poo.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

The Bible posted:

Weren't they supposed to start doing this in NY? Someone in this thread mentioned that the process is quite refined and very quick.

I'm guessing they haven't taken poo poo.

They would first take money out of bank accounts. The Sheriff would walk into a bank, hand a banker a piece of paper that says "Per court order XXXXX you are hereby directed to remove $Y from DTJ's account and put it into ours."

Same thing would happen with brokerage accounts and other things like that with liquid cash. They really don't want to take real assets like buildings, golf courses or things like that because they would then have to sell it at firesale prices. If DJT somehow wins some or all of his appeal then NY would have to make him whole again and they can't do that if they have sold off some of his assets.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Cimber posted:

They would first take money out of bank accounts. The Sheriff would walk into a bank, hand a banker a piece of paper that says "Per court order XXXXX you are hereby directed to remove $Y from DTJ's account and put it into ours."

Same thing would happen with brokerage accounts and other things like that with liquid cash.

Ah, so they've done this, then.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

The Bible posted:

Or, you know, there’s been 40 pages of discussion about how an appeals courts extended the deadline.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

The Bible posted:

No, they have not yet because the bond is supposed to ensure (thus its a surety bond) that Trump has the assets to pay the fine if he looses his appeal.

Normally the bond is for the full amount of the judgement with interest ticking every day that the bond is not fulfilled. However as I said above the amount was reduced to a faction of the total amount, likely the amount of cash and easily convertible bonds/stocks that he has on hand. They don't want to do harm before the appeals process is over.

However he can still appeal all he wants without the bond, but he just has to fork over the money within 30 days of judgement. The bond simply stops the interest from accruing and assets from being taken.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Murgos posted:

Or, you know, there’s been 40 pages of discussion about how an appeals courts extended the deadline.

That's more or less my point.

I hate to doompost, but I don't see how any of you still have any faith in the legal system at all. This poo poo builds up weekly and the numbers get bigger, but nothing ever really happens.

Cimber posted:

No, they have not yet because the bond is supposed to ensure (thus its a surety bond) that Trump has the assets to pay the fine if he looses his appeal.

Normally the bond is for the full amount of the judgement with interest ticking every day that the bond is not fulfilled. However as I said above the amount was reduced to a faction of the total amount, likely the amount of cash and easily convertible bonds/stocks that he has on hand. They don't want to do harm before the appeals process is over.

However he can still appeal all he wants without the bond, but he just has to fork over the money within 30 days of judgement. The bond simply stops the interest from accruing and assets from being taken.

Do people usually get this level of consideration from the courts or is it just the Emerald+ tier? Where I'm from, if you can't afford to pay a court fine, there are rapid consequences, and the court sure as poo poo doesn't care if it will impact your quality of life or is even affordable to you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Bible posted:

I hate to doompost, but I don't see how any of you still have any faith in the legal system at all. This poo poo builds up weekly and the numbers get bigger, but nothing ever really happens.

Our justice system allows for appeals, it's not something just rich people get I don't think we should wipe out legal rights and processes just because we don't like the rear end in a top hat being charged.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

Our justice system allows for appeals, it's not something just rich people get

Assuming your court-appointed lawyer has the time/competency/interest to guide you through that process.

You're right, it's an important legal protection, but Trump is blatantly abusing it to stall for time, and everyone involved can see it, and the court is either powerless or unwilling to do anything about it.

It's a tough stance to say that this is all how the system typically functions.

Then again, I'm a layman on legal stuff, so maybe this all actually is normal and I've only ever seen the unlucky bastards who fall through the cracks, but this definitely looks like preferential treatment to me.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Its not just Trump that abuses the court system to stall for time. Everyone who has money enough to afford good lawyers has this option and they often do so. It's not unusual for large cases to take a decade+ to get resolved when there is a lot of money involved.

If you were poor but had a lawyer willing to put in the time for free, you too could clog up the works with appeals, motions and other things specifically designed to gum up the works. It's just that lawyers don't work for free.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cimber posted:

Its not just Trump that abuses the court system to stall for time. Everyone who has money enough to afford good lawyers has this option and they often do so. It's not unusual for large cases to take a decade+ to get resolved when there is a lot of money involved.

If you were poor but had a lawyer willing to put in the time for free, you too could clog up the works with appeals, motions and other things specifically designed to gum up the works. It's just that lawyers don't work for free.

I mean criminal defendants do get free lawyers!

One issue here is that Trump is facing fines from civil, not criminal, proceedings, and the standards are much more lax for civil appellants than they are for criminal defendants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Bible posted:

Do people usually get this level of consideration from the courts or is it just the Emerald+ tier? Where I'm from, if you can't afford to pay a court fine, there are rapid consequences, and the court sure as poo poo doesn't care if it will impact your quality of life or is even affordable to you.

Go touch grass for six months. Courtrooms do not move quickly, especially in civil cases. They're not really set up to be F5ed constantly.

A bond isn't a court fine. It's a bond. It's not intended to be punitive. And it's not terribly unusual for the court to cut people some slack on big bonds when no violence or physical endangerment at all was involved in the charges they're facing.

The Bible posted:

Assuming your court-appointed lawyer has the time/competency/interest to guide you through that process.

You're right, it's an important legal protection, but Trump is blatantly abusing it to stall for time, and everyone involved can see it, and the court is either powerless or unwilling to do anything about it.

It's a tough stance to say that this is all how the system typically functions.

Then again, I'm a layman on legal stuff, so maybe this all actually is normal and I've only ever seen the unlucky bastards who fall through the cracks, but this definitely looks like preferential treatment to me.

Who gives a poo poo if legal wrangling over the validity of the bond delays things a couple of days? It's not actually a significant gain for Trump. In fact, loving up the bond on purpose would be a tremendously loving stupid idea of a delay tactic, because literally the entire point of the bond here is that paying it will delay the enforcement of the judgment against him. Paying the bond is the delay tactic, and loving it up risks causing enforcement to start a lot earlier than it already would. That's hardly a smart risk to take for a few extra days worth of delay.