Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's not even an insult, it's just confusing. Because it's not even trying to imitate anything. They apparently just made random poo poo up.

It's a deep fried onion with a name that is really funny to say in a horrible Australian accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Kojiro posted:

There's a pret in Bradford, mate

Bunch of pret-a-philes

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Air Skwirl posted:

Typing that out I realized there's no restaurant that's the equivalent of Olive Garden, but French.
La Madeleine is a smaller chain, mostly New Orleans?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BioEnchanted posted:

Probably Pret A Manger

No it's Cafe Rouge. Pret A Manger at least has passable croissants.

Josef bugman posted:

One of the funniest things about them is that they basically don't exist outside of London.

lol what they're all over the UK and have been for like fifteen years, Manchester has like a dozen, hell they even exist in the US somehow

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
no Norwegian cuisine outside of Norway probably

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

lol what they're all over the UK and have been for like fifteen years, Manchester has like a dozen, hell they even exist in the US somehow

Wierdly they also exist in France

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Aramoro posted:

There are eight Outback Steakhouse locations in Australia.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Aramoro posted:

Of course they're called 'Ready to Eat' there.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Came here to post the same idiot. His bio is certainly something:

The hashtag refers to former English footballer Joey Barton, who is mostly known for his repeated diatribes about television broadcasts bringing in women to commentate on men's football, likening it to him being brought in to commentate on 'professional knitting'. He's currently embroiled in a legal battle because he called radio host Jeremy Vine a 'bike nonce' on Twitter. Vine is suing him for libel, and Barton is trying to crowdfund his legal defence on the promise that he'll donate the money he's going to win in this case to charity.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Pret feels London specific because of the sheer density of locations compared to other cities.

Branches per City, UK

London - 274
Manchester - 14
Birmingham - 11
Edinburgh - 8
Bristol - 7

Don't think any other chain has quite so many locations packed into a single area. No idea why because their coffee is crap and the food is overpriced.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

I didn’t realise sriracha was so prevalent in Australian food. I am learning a lot about my culture from that menu - not really, Australians don’t have culture.

I honestly didn’t realise they had them here though, thanks for pointing that out.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
When's outback going to start carrying that neon green curry dish?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Skios posted:

The hashtag refers to former English footballer Joey Barton, who is mostly known for his repeated diatribes about television broadcasts bringing in women to commentate on men's football, likening it to him being brought in to commentate on 'professional knitting'

As much as he tends to run his mouth these days, I think he’s still more known for putting out a cigar in Jamie Tandy’s eye. The guy is an absolute oval office.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

It's hard for me to put a pin quite on what the criteria of the demographic is, but at least in Sydney there seems to be this demographic of consumers of American brands that never really took off in Australia like Hooters, Costco and Outback Steakhouse that seemingly exists exclusively in a handful of locations no closer than 40km but also no further than 80km from the Sydney CBD.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Kojiro posted:

There's a pret in Bradford, mate

Must have been a few years back, or I'm thinking of another one. It was probably some time ago actually but I think there were about 18, tops, outside of London?

I never liked them when I lived there because they were poo poo and charged too much for rubbish food.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
lol at trying to bring london prices to the destitute wastelands of 'rest of country'

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

DRINK ME posted:

Australians don’t have culture.

well not the white ones anyway

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

Redezga posted:

It's hard for me to put a pin quite on what the criteria of the demographic is, but at least in Sydney there seems to be this demographic of consumers of American brands that never really took off in Australia like Hooters, Costco and Outback Steakhouse that seemingly exists exclusively in a handful of locations no closer than 40km but also no further than 80km from the Sydney CBD.

We have these in the UK, and they seem to be predominantly suburban middle-class white folk under 40 raised on American movies and TV. The kind of folk who went to Disneyland in Florida on holiday as kids.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Regarde Aduck posted:

lol at trying to bring london prices to the destitute wastelands of 'rest of country'

I mean I get paid more up north than I did in the metropolis because this country is a nightmare run by dickheads.

Rockman Reserve posted:

this would be pretty impressive, how on earth did they pull that off

Any disney park is "Disneyland". It's only if you are into either Disney or theme parks that folks would make a distinction.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Peanut Butter posted:

The kind of folk who went to Disneyland in Florida on holiday as kids.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
Editing your responses to other people's posts into your own previous posts is deranged behaviour

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

FFT posted:

La Madeleine is a smaller chain, mostly New Orleans?

One time I was in New Orleans very briefly and needed a good place to eat, so I asked a friend who had lived there more recently than I had where I should go. He told me to go here. We do not speak any longer.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Cool Dad posted:

One time I was in New Orleans very briefly and needed a good place to eat, so I asked a friend who had lived there more recently than I had where I should go. He told me to go here. We do not speak any longer.

Yeah, that's hosed up.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

:supaburn: :ducksiren: RAPTURE ALERT RAPTURE ALERT :ducksiren: :supaburn:

if the policeman beating the poo poo out of you seems corrupt you can simply take your business elsewhere

Flesh Forge has a new favorite as of 16:51 on Apr 7, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

It says here the state of emergency is because a lot of people are traveling to Arkansas to view the eclipse and they're releasing emergency funds as a precaution.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

oh sure that's what THEY want you to believe, real patriots staying prayed up :911:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

No it's Cafe Rouge. Pret A Manger at least has passable croissants.

Ha yeah, when I was working in NYC I noticed Prets all over the place, even ate there a few times. Then I went to London for work and lolled at the fact that you could stand at a Pret and see 2-3 other Prets within visual range down various streets, like Lewis Black's joke about Starbucks

darkwasthenight posted:

Pret feels London specific because of the sheer density of locations compared to other cities.

Branches per City, UK

London - 274
Manchester - 14
Birmingham - 11
Edinburgh - 8
Bristol - 7

Don't think any other chain has quite so many locations packed into a single area. No idea why because their coffee is crap and the food is overpriced.

lmao ok that tracks

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

:supaburn: :ducksiren: RAPTURE ALERT RAPTURE ALERT :ducksiren: :supaburn:

how the gently caress is she the governor of Arkansas

i realize this is a dumb question, but still

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FFT posted:

how the gently caress is she the governor of Arkansas

i realize this is a dumb question, but still

Because of her dad?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Because of her dad?
Right, obviously, but an all-time top 3 "worst PR for a head of state" title holder is now a state governor and we're supposed to go along with this as if it's reality?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well Arkansas is all-time top 3 "worst state," so

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

wash bucket posted:

It says here the state of emergency is because a lot of people are traveling to Arkansas to view the eclipse and they're releasing emergency funds as a precaution.

I think every state in the trajectory is doing state of emergency for the eclipse too

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

Rockman Reserve posted:

As a poor who does not regularly get a Cheeky Popeye's on Deliveroo I wouldn't know the difference tbh

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah most states are taking the exclipse very seriously

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

kazil posted:

I think every state in the trajectory is doing state of emergency for the eclipse too

tbf, yeah i kinda get it, pop tourism can be hell of a stressor. I didn 2017 and decided to just enjoy things from a mcd parking lot which was still packed.

e for a dig against dumb places: man maybe some of the next places can use the fact that astronomers predict things decades in advance and maybe make long term investments for 2044?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

kazil posted:

Yeah, makes sense, when the one in 2017 happened a lot of small towns in like Wyoming and Montana that were in the path of totality got completely overwhelmed by the massive surge of tourists.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
My wife spent the day of that last one at a tiny airport, doing air traffic control with a pair of binoculars and a handheld radio while standing in the bed of a dump truck (the “tower”), because so many people decided to fly small aircraft in.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Maybe I'm just internet brained but I've never seen the appeal of eclipses, at least not enough to spend actual human dollars to travel to Arkansas to see it. It was kinda cool when I got to leave work for a few minutes when we had one near me, but it wasn't exactly a core memory. Just watch a Livestream and spend that money on something more important, like drugs.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Whenever people bring that up they forget that it was actually controversial amongst goons at the time. Quite a few (myself included) thought that, regardless of if it was funny, it was over the line.
I came in long after that, tried to read it because I knew it was funny, and never smiled once. I couldn't make it be funny.

e: I've been through two eclipses, one partial and one whole. What a video can't give you is the sensory experience of the sky being black, of it being midnight during the middle of the day. It's eerie. IIRC the birds suddenly stopped singing.

Arsenic Lupin has a new favorite as of 18:55 on Apr 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

Maybe I'm just internet brained but I've never seen the appeal of eclipses, at least not enough to spend actual human dollars to travel to Arkansas to see it. It was kinda cool when I got to leave work for a few minutes when we had one near me, but it wasn't exactly a core memory. Just watch a Livestream and spend that money on something more important, like drugs.

im a astronomy nerd so im bias, but was it actually totality? 100% or bust. like yeah that last 1% is important.

im sure some better science nerd can explain the poetry and sublime of eclipse better than me but there's a difference better their live and a video stream.