Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Maybe small countries can't afford to throw munitions at the current thing

Maybe you shouldn't post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
We'll never know

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Calling Estonia of all countries a small country that can't afford to support "the current thing" is so incredibly ignorant I don't even know where to begin. Estonia is the last loving country to consider this war "the current thing". They understand perfectly well what's at stake. Educate yourself.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The best possible use for Estonia’s shells right now, from Estonia’s own perspective, must be the destruction of Russian military capabilities without any Estonian people or property put at risk in the process.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Subjunctive posted:

What is the funding block here? Are they saying that they have shells, but for sale rather than donation?

They aren't finding warehouses of free shells. Probably a seller, and buying those shells would overtax Estonia, which has to prepare for Russian aggression at the same time.

So they'll need funding, either through the peace fac or direct transfer. Realistically, by Germany paying for the shells.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Estonia is quite prepared for Russian aggression even without those shells, IMO, given that unlike Ukraine they have Article 5 in their pocket.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Calling Estonia of all countries a small country that can't afford to support "the current thing" is so incredibly ignorant I don't even know where to begin. Estonia is the last loving country to consider this war "the current thing". They understand perfectly well what's at stake. Educate yourself.

Post history MVP

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Subjunctive posted:

Estonia is quite prepared for Russian aggression even without those shells, IMO, given that unlike Ukraine they have Article 5 in their pocket.

trump will send some marines as moral support for the Russian invasion lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just saw an article Estonia found a bunch more shells

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Khanstant posted:

I bet they were in the pockets of a bunch of old coats.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Khanstant posted:

The elites don't want you to know this, but the ammo warehouses in Europe are free, you can take them home and use them in a war, I have 4000 ammo warehouses. :ducksiren:

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Even for surplus, that's still a couple hundred million dollars worth in times like these.
They'd probably like an additional NATO Patriot permanently stationed in Estonia or something in exchange.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Subjunctive posted:

The best possible use for Estonia’s shells right now, from Estonia’s own perspective, must be the destruction of Russian military capabilities without any Estonian people or property put at risk in the process.

The same goes for everyone in Europe. Nobody has a military because Spain might come over the Pyrenees swinging, it's 98% Russia and 2% having an expeditionary/peacekeeping force. Giving munitions to Ukraine degrades the Russian military threat now, which is even better than what they were acquired for in the first place.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Subjunctive posted:

What is the funding block here? Are they saying that they have shells, but for sale rather than donation?

From the article:

quote:

Estonian defense minister Hanno Pevkur said his own government had found another million shells and rockets for Ukraine.

Pevkur told Postimees he’s trying to scrounge, from the same countries that paid $1.3 billion for the Czech-sourced ammunition, an additional $2.2 billion to pay for the Estonian-sourced ammo.

So they found additional shells possibly for sale in various unnamed non-European countries that are already involved in Czech initiative

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
$2,200 apiece? :monocle:
Someone is getting a 1000% finders fee.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Yeah I hope that includes delivery lol

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Man, I should really get into the producing weapons of war business

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Twitter says: "Russian Il-76TD that was to land in St. Petersburg crashed in the Gulf of Finland"

I'll take it, pack of yaks or not. I'll take it.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

ninjoatse.cx posted:

My cousin Gaila did, and now he owns a moon!

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
goon project?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

shadow puppet of a posted:

Twitter says: "Russian Il-76TD that was to land in St. Petersburg crashed in the Gulf of Finland"

I'll take it, pack of yaks or not. I'll take it.

It probably didn't, flight trackers are just reporting positions wrong due to GPS jamming.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

mllaneza posted:

The same goes for everyone in Europe. Nobody has a military because Spain might come over the Pyrenees swinging

Nowadays, errybody act like they forgot about Hannibal

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

sauer kraut posted:

Even for surplus, that's still a couple hundred million dollars worth in times like these.
They'd probably like an additional NATO Patriot permanently stationed in Estonia or something in exchange.

Estonia has at least one permanent Nato base think around 25k troops from European Nato partners.

But yeah their economy is small and they depend on Western Europe to pay the bill, which should absolutely happen.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Anders Puck Nielsen released a new video on the upcoming Russian summer offensive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJpXBF3GnpI

• The Russians will likely start a major offensive in May or June.
  • The most likely axis of advance is the East.
  • They don't seem to be mobilising or stepping up recruitment, so reopening the North front is unlikely.
  • Mechanised maneuver is very difficult because of drones; the pace of battle is dictated by how fast infantry can walk.
  • Russian planning seems to hinge a lot on US Congress not getting their poo poo together, allowing them to slowly grind forward.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

The recent Perun video showed that the scenarion NATO is preparing for baltics is: russia takes estonia and latvia in a week and then NATO negotiates for them not to take lithuania.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
A seven day special military operation? It would never catch on.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

MikusR posted:

The recent Perun video showed that the scenarion NATO is preparing for baltics is: russia takes estonia and latvia in a week and then NATO negotiates for them not to take lithuania.

I think this is too simplistic: it is more that mobilization will take about a week and if Estonia falls before then defense will become much more difficult. Therefore Estonia's defense is focused on surviving that week.

Lithuania is actually in a much more precarious position as Riga is right on the border and Russia wants to link up with the Kaliningrad exclave.

Edit: if REDFOR ran the Russian military then eastern Europe would be hosed.

exmachina fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 7, 2024

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

[*] Mechanised maneuver is very difficult because of drones; the pace of battle is dictated by how fast infantry can walk.

The infantry tank returns! If you're limited to advancing at a walking pace, and a tank is better than no tank at all, might as well bring back the Infantry Tank with a good gun.

Then introduce Cruiser tanks for when you breakthrough.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

exmachina posted:

I think this is too simplistic: it is more that mobilization will take about a week and if Estonia falls before then defense will become much more difficult. Therefore Estonia's defense is focused on surviving that week.

Lithuania is actually in a much more precarious position as Riga is right on the border and Russia wants to link up with the Kaliningrad exclave.

Edit: if REDFOR ran the Russian military then eastern Europe would be hosed.

It would still trigger NATO defense mode in Europe, so there‘d be 100s of planes and dozens of ships bombing Russia.
Russia being dumb enough to attack the Baltics would probably be the quickest way for the Ukraine war to end on a positive note. Unless the West goes back to appeasement, which I very much doubt could happen in Europe.

Like sure Riga gets destroyed, to later be rebuilt with European funds, while Russia gets decimated with no way back.

That‘s the simple way a conventional war would go, everything else involving Nukes is Clancy chat and kinda pointless.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I was characterising Peruns description of wargames played in the Baltic states recently.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Comstar posted:

The infantry tank returns! If you're limited to advancing at a walking pace, and a tank is better than no tank at all, might as well bring back the Infantry Tank with a good gun.

Then introduce Cruiser tanks for when you breakthrough.

Well, the army says it's been trying to restore the t95.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It sounds tempting, but it is a very boom or bust industry.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tahirovic posted:

It would still trigger NATO defense mode in Europe, so there‘d be 100s of planes and dozens of ships bombing Russia.
Russia being dumb enough to attack the Baltics would probably be the quickest way for the Ukraine war to end on a positive note. Unless the West goes back to appeasement, which I very much doubt could happen in Europe.

Like sure Riga gets destroyed, to later be rebuilt with European funds, while Russia gets decimated with no way back.

That‘s the simple way a conventional war would go, everything else involving Nukes is Clancy chat and kinda pointless.

Sorry we can't risk escalation of conflict with russia, good luck and enjoy your new furher.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
It's Vilnius that is near the border, Riga is by the sea and Estonian border which is why Latvia has been acting very cordial with Estonia.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It seems like Putin wants to test NATO's resolve. Is NATO really going to war with Russia, risking a nuclear exchange, over Estionia and/or Latvia?

Yes they are NATO members and article 5 applies, but Putin seems determined to put it to the test.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1776919148045418549

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

https://youtu.be/krD4hdGvGHM?si=53HLsJl_OXE3-AIq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
So Slovakia just elected a pro Putin dipshit as president.?Idk if he's in a position to accomplish much but i don't like it.